Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #76
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Day 6: POFQ Food Court, Kona Cafe, Scat Cat Lounge

This was a no-park day so we spent the morning enjoying the resort … lounging by the pool, reading, poking around the gift shop, etc. We had lunch in the food court. We found the food at POFQ to be consistently good; we’ve always enjoyed our meals here. Today we ordered:

DD, DH & I: Chicken Parmesan served with a side of fettuccini and a garlic breadstick, topped with a chunky marinara sauce. Cheryl chose an apple for her dessert while Frank and I had the fruit cup. To drink, Cheryl had a carton of Skim Milk, I had Chocolate Milk and Frank chose Grapefruit Juice.

Everything was very good! We all give it a rating of 8/10.

DS: Pasta and Meatballs, served with a garlic breadstick. Neil also chose Chocolate Milk for his drink and an apple for dessert.

Neil enjoyed this and gave it a rating of 8/10.

We had a 5:30 ADR at Kona Café so we left our resort at 4:15 and headed for the Magic Kingdom where we hopped on the Resort Monorail. We spent some time exploring the beautiful Polynesian Resort.

This is a busy place, but we didn’t have long to wait. After we checked in at 5:15 we were seated within 10 minutes. Our server was very knowledgeable about the DDP and explained that we could order anything on the menu, including smoothies. We ordered:

DH: Non-alcoholic Pina Colada

DS: Orange-Passionfruit Smoothie

Me: Strawberry-Banana Smoothie

DD ordered her usual Diet Coke.

All the smoothies were delicious and we were all pleased with our selections.

With our drinks came Kona’s signature Sweet Bread and Macadamia Nut Butter.

(Yes, we’d all had some before I remembered to take a picture. It was delicious!!)

Our server suggested mixing up the appetizers so we could all try a bit of everything. She said many people make the mistake of choosing 3 or 4 orders of Sticky Wings (their most popular appetizer) without realizing that each order consists of 8 pieces of chicken. Regardless, DH and DS each decided to order the Wings: Sticky Wings - crispy wings in a garlic glaze with a tangy mustard drizzle and toasted sesame seeds.

They both loved these! I tried one of DH’s and have to agree, they were delicious! They quickly disappeared.
Rating: 10/10

DD ordered the Chicken Noodle Soup

She really enjoyed her selection. I tasted a small spoonful and I can honestly say it’s one of the best chicken noodle soups I’ve ever tasted. It had big chunks of white meat chicken and vegetables and the broth was well seasoned. Very tasty!
Rating: 8/10

I had: Lump Crab Cakes - pan-seared lump crab cakes with Asian tartar and pineapple relish.

Wow, these were incredible! No filler here, just lots of delicious crab meat. The salad was only so-so, but I didn’t order this dish for the salad.
Rating: 9/10

On to the main event!!

DS & DD both ordered: Pan Asian Noodles - Asian noodles with sliced chicken, seasonal vegetables, and a house made vegetarian stir-fry sauce. They were told the shrimp add-on was included on the DP, so they added it.

They were both so happy they ordered this! Everything was perfectly cooked, and the sauce on this dish is incredible!! The chicken was incredibly tender and flavorful, and shrimp were quite large and very tasty. The veggies were tender but still a little on the crisp side, which we all love, so everything about this entrée was a winner.

DH ordered: Char Crusted Filet Mignon - mashed yukon gold potatoes, asparagus and a 5-spice mushroom sauce.

Frank loved this. This was his second favourite meal of the trip. His steak was cooked perfectly medium and the mushroom sauce was a wonderful compliment to the meat. He said the mashed potatoes were delicious, which is a huge compliment because he’s not a mashed potato fan. He said the asparagus was just asparagus, nothing special.

I ordered: Macadamia Mahi Mahi - served with mushroom rice, sauteed bok choy, lime-butter sauce and crispy fried onions.

I was disappointed with this. The fish was cooked well and had a nice texture, but it was very bland and somewhat tasteless. The mushroom rice was good, but again I felt it needed more flavour. I know many people love this dish, but I found it rather boring.
Rating: 6/10

On to dessert!!

DH & DS both chose the Kona Kone, which is a scoop of chocolate and vanilla ice cream in a chocolate dipped waffle cone, with chocolate syrup, sprinkes, M & M’s, cotton candy and a chocolate Mickey swizzle.

They both loved this and ate every bite. They each give it two thumbs up and a rating of 9/10.

DD ordered: White Chocolate Cheesecake - cheesecake with a perfect hint of white chocolate topped with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and a brandy snap.

Cheryl loves cheesecake and raved about this one. She said the fruit syrups (I believe they were passionfruit, strawberry and kiwi) were also delicious. Her plate was squeaky clean when she was finished.

I ordered: Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart - chocolate tart shell with chunks of macadamia nut and chocolate served with vanilla ice cream and caramel rum sauce.

Our waitress thought Cheryl ordered this dessert and had the plate decorated for her birthday. Cheryl thanked her for her thoughtfulness and we simply traded plates after she left. ;-) This dessert was mouth-watering! Its texture is like a pecan pie, it’s very rich and sooooo good! I’d definitely order it again.

Everyone agrees Kona Café ties with Raglan Road as our second-favourite meal of the trip. Even though my entrée wasn’t what I expected, everything was fresh and the ingredients were top quality. We’d definitely return!

Overall Rating: 9
Service: A

When we returned to POFQ, we decided to go to Scat Cat Lounge and listen to Elliot Dysen, who puts on a terrific one-man show. While we were there, we enjoyed these two drinks:

Pina Colava: Bacardi Razz Rum blended with Pina Colada mix and Raspberry Puree.

Orange Dream: Skyy Orange Vodka and Ice Cream blended with Monin Candied Orange.

Both these drinks were delicious, but I’d have to give the edge to the Pina Colava, it was awesome!!

Coming up in the next installment: Columbia Harbor House and Tony’s Town Square.

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #77
Reese
DIS Veteran

You did a wonderful job on the pics from Kona. This is the one ressie I didn't even think about getting until it was all booked up . I managed to get a lunch ressie though and I can't wait, everything looked so yummy .
I've really been enjoying your review and can't wait for more .
Sept 08 POP Free Dining, Dec 08 Grand gathering at POP,Jan 09 Rolling Hills,March 09 Rolling Hills,May 09 ASMu and Emerald Isle,June 09 Just DH and I,July 09 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,Sept 09 ASMu Free dining,May 10 ASMo & Star WarsSept 10 ASmo Free dining, Nov 10 Rolling Hills,May 11 Pop, Jan 12 MK and Dreamworks cruise,Sept 12Free Dining AoA family reunion,Nov 12 ASMu Mom/Daughter trip,Christmas Day surprise,April 13 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,May 13 Star Wars ASSp,
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #78
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
You did a wonderful job on the pics from Kona. This is the one ressie I didn't even think about getting until it was all booked up . I managed to get a lunch ressie though and I can't wait, everything looked so yummy .
I've really been enjoying your review and can't wait for more .
Thank you Reese! You will love Kona, the food is incredible!

BTW, is that your daughter in your avatar? She's adorable, what a doll!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #79
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and pics - thanks!

Can I ask a question about POFQ? Did you use the busses? How were they for getting around?

Orlando Bound - June 2014!

Previous Trips to WDW - 2012, 2008, 2007, 2001, 1995, 1987
Sea World/Aquatica March 2011

Mother/Daughter trip to DisneyLand - March 2010
momtoccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #80
pooch
I feel so special now!!

love the reviews. I have to agree, though, that the Mahi-Mahi was tasteless and bland. But after a Lapu-Lapu while waiting for our table, I really didn't care!!!! Next time, try the Kona Chowder. It's to die for!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #81
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoccc View Post
Great reviews and pics - thanks!

Can I ask a question about POFQ? Did you use the busses? How were they for getting around?
We drove down, but parked the car at the resort and didn't use it again until it was time to leave. The busses were great, our average wait time was less than 10 minutes. We always got a seat, the only times we had to stand were coming home from the parks after closing, and that only happened twice. Once at MK and once at Epcot. I also really recommend taking the boat to DD if you're planning to go there. It's a lovely relaxed ride and very pretty!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #82
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
love the reviews. I have to agree, though, that the Mahi-Mahi was tasteless and bland. But after a Lapu-Lapu while waiting for our table, I really didn't care!!!! Next time, try the Kona Chowder. It's to die for!!!!
That's what I was missing!! A nice Lapu-Lapu beforehand would have helped that entree considerably! I'll remember that next time!

Thanks for the Kona Chowder recommendation, just another reason to return!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #83
txtink17
Sticks and stones, Luv.

[QUOTE=MrsB1228;20785122]This was a no-park day so we spent the morning enjoying the resort … lounging by the pool, reading, poking around the gift shop, etc. We had lunch in the food court. We found the food at POFQ to be consistently good; we’ve always enjoyed our meals here. Today we ordered:

DD, DH & I: Chicken Parmesan served with a side of fettuccini and a garlic breadstick, topped with a chunky marinara sauce. Cheryl chose an apple for her dessert while Frank and I had the fruit cup. To drink, Cheryl had a carton of Skim Milk, I had Chocolate Milk and Frank chose Grapefruit Juice.

Okay, I have to know what is that gray stuff next to the spaghetti?

Pop Century May 2005
Pop Century May 2006
Pop Century February 2007
All-Star Movies September 2008
All-Star Music December 2009
Pop Century Feb 2011
txtink17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #84
Reese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post

BTW, is that your daughter in your avatar? She's adorable, what a doll!
Yes that's my youngest. Thank you.
Sept 08 POP Free Dining, Dec 08 Grand gathering at POP,Jan 09 Rolling Hills,March 09 Rolling Hills,May 09 ASMu and Emerald Isle,June 09 Just DH and I,July 09 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,Sept 09 ASMu Free dining,May 10 ASMo & Star WarsSept 10 ASmo Free dining, Nov 10 Rolling Hills,May 11 Pop, Jan 12 MK and Dreamworks cruise,Sept 12Free Dining AoA family reunion,Nov 12 ASMu Mom/Daughter trip,Christmas Day surprise,April 13 ASMu Mother/Daughter trip,May 13 Star Wars ASSp,
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #85
my3disneygirls
I have never had the disire to try anything with such a colorful name

[QUOTE=txtink17;20796550]
Quote:
This was a no-park day so we spent the morning enjoying the resort … lounging by the pool, reading, poking around the gift shop, etc. We had lunch in the food court. We found the food at POFQ to be consistently good; we’ve always enjoyed our meals here. Today we ordered:

That looks like the chicken parm to me.
my3disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #86
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=txtink17;20796550]
Quote:

That's the Chicken Parmesan. It does look a little gray in the pic but I think that's an effect of the lighting in the food court, or the angle I took the pic on. It certainly wasn't gray when we had it, and was quite delicious!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #87
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Day 7: Columbia Harbor House & Tony's Town Square

Day 7: Columbia Harbor House & Tony’s Town Square

This was our MK day so after a fun morning of rides and shows, (we went to Mickey’s Philharmagic three times! I love that show! ) we were ready for some lunch. One of our favourite places in the Magic Kingdom is Columbia Harbor House, and we arrived, hot and hungry, at 11:30. It wasn’t very busy yet, so we were able to get our order quickly and then head upstairs for a table by the window where we could eat and watch the activity in the street below.

DH had: Fried Chicken Strips - Served with choice of either French Fries or Apple Slices. He had fries, a Coke and the Apple Crisp (although it was really more of an apple blossom.)

He enjoyed this very much. The chicken strips are solid pieces of white meat (no processed junk) and the fries weren’t greasy and were delicious. The apple crisp was also a hit, and was gone in a flash. LOL!

DD & DS both had: Captain's Special - Fried Chicken Strips and Fish - Served with choice of French Fries or Apple Slices. They each had fries as their side. Neil chose Chocolate Milk and the Apple Crisp while Cheryl had Diet Coke and Strawberry Yogurt.

They really enjoyed this! They loved both the chicken and the fish and really enjoyed the fries as well. Neil loved his apple crisp and Cheryl enjoyed her yogurt.

I had: Anchors Aweigh Sandwich - white tuna with lettuce and tomato. It came with potato chips, and I had Chocolate Milk and the Apple Crisp.

I love this sandwich! It’s served on toasted multi-grain bread and has just the right amount of mayo. Some places either make their tuna salad too dry or too sloppy, but CHH’s is perfect! Yummy!! I really enjoyed the apple crisp, it was my favourite CS dessert.

We took a break after lunch and went back to the resort to rest and get out of the heat. It was H-O-T that day, whew!! We headed back to the MK around four, we had a 5:45 ADR at Tony’s Town Square and Cheryl and I wanted to stay for the evening to shop and watch Spectro and Wishes.

We checked in at Tony’s at 5:30 and were seated after a 20 minute wait. Our table was decorated with Mickey confetti and streamers for Cheryl’s birthday, which was a nice surprise.

Hmm … what shall I order?

No specialty drinks were included on the DP here, so we all ordered sodas or iced tea.

For our appetizers, we ordered:

DD & DS: Garlic Breadsticks & Dipping Sauce

Their unanimous opinion of these? Gross!! They said they had absolutely no flavor and the dipping sauce was simply cold pasta sauce. They had one taste and left the rest.
Rating: 1/10 (and they said they’re being generous )

DH had: Italian Vegetable Soup

Frank loves vegetable soup and he really enjoyed this! According to our server, there are two different soups available every day. The Italian Vegetable is always available while the other one changes daily. That day (Saturday) the other soup was Broccoli/Cheddar.

I ordered: Spinach and Artichoke Dip - three cheese blend, tomatoes, and served with grilled bread.

This was delicious and 1000% better than the dip I had at Sci-Fi! The flavors all worked well together and the dip was served nice and hot so the cheese was wonderfully gooey when you spread it on the bread. I shared with Cheryl and Neil since their appetizer was so disappointing and this is more than enough to share. It’s very filling.

Entrée time!

DH & DS both ordered: Spaghetti & Meatballs

Both Frank and Neil enjoyed this and they each cleaned their plate. It’s certainly not a complex dish, and if I were paying out of pocket I would be appalled at the price, but it’s simple and satisfying and they both enjoy it.
Rating: 7/10

DD wanted a pizza, but the only one on the menu that night was a four cheese one that contained feta. Cheryl hates feta and asked if they could make her one without it. Our server checked, said it was no problem and told Cheryl the chef would make her one with mozzarella, gorgonzola, provolone and parmesan as well as tomato sauce, oregano and basil. Here is the end result.

She loved it and ate every bite!

I ordered the Baked Ziti

This was absolutely delicious and I cleaned my plate! I've tried many different items from Tony's menu, and this is hands down my favourite. I'd love to have some now!

I apologize, I forgot to take a picture of our dessert. On the DP, you are served a sample of the restaurants most popular desserts. We received two plates between the four of us, and each plate contained Tiramisu, Amaretto Cheesecake and Chocolate Chip Cannoli. They were ok, but nothing to get really excited about. My favourite was the cheesecake while Frank devoured the Tiramisu. The kids didn’t really enjoy any of them and just picked.
Rating: 5/10

Our server brought out a special dessert for Cheryl’s birthday, and I did remember to take a picture of that one.

She was too full to eat much of it, so her brother helped her out. <g>

We go to Tony’s every trip and have always enjoyed our meals there. It’s certainly not gourmet, and we have better Italian restaurants here at home, but the whole experience is what makes it special, and this restaurant is beautiful inside. Besides, Lady and the Tramp is DD’s favourite movie, so we couldn’t get away with skipping it.

Overall Rating: 6 ½ /10
Service: B

After DH & DS left to go back to the resort, DD and I did some shopping and stopped at the Main Street Confectionary to check out the goodies. The smell of fudge made my mouth water, then I saw this display and decided to take a photo.

And here’s a close-up

It contains a large rice crispy treat along with some chocolate fudge and peanut brittle. The price was $8.50.

We closed out the night with Spectro and Wishes.

It was a perfect end to a wonderful day!

Coming up next: WPE (last time, I promise ) and Spoodles.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #88
BeckWhy
The Tag Fairy prefers to remain an enigma ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228;20823282
DH had: [B
Fried Chicken Strips [/B]- Served with choice of either French Fries or Apple Slices. He had fries, a Coke and the Apple Crisp (although it was really more of an apple blossom.)

He enjoyed this very much. The chicken strips are solid pieces of white meat (no processed junk) and the fries weren’t greasy and were delicious. The apple crisp was also a hit, and was gone in a flash. LOL!
[/B]
You know.. it looks like an apple crustata (spelling?) to me.
September 2012 - 1st Trip to Disneyland!|November 2009 - Solo Trip at POP|November 2008 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|September 2006 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|January 2004 - POP with my older sister|March 2002 - ASMo with the Frewsburg cheerleaders (first time on site!)|April 1999 - Off Site with the family|April 1998 - Off Site with the family USF only trip|July 1997 - Off Site with the family|July 1994 - Off Site with the family|January 1987 - Off Site with the family|April 1984 - Off Site with the family|June 1983 - Off Site with the family
BeckWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #89
maiyasgram
Mouseketeer

Great report Love the pics! Can't wait to get there...
maiyasgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #90
december
DIS Veteran

Those Mickey heads with the candy look great! I'm going Thanksgiving week, and those would make great Christmas gifts!
december is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: