Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 970 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #1156
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
I made the Artist Point mac and cheese for a party and it was the biggest hit. Keep the recipes coming!!!
Happy to hear that you are enjoying the Recipe Thread, IWISHFORDISNEY, and that the mac & cheese recipe from Artist Point was a hit!
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #1157
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltymom View Post
I just make this recipe for dinner tonight. It turned out just about as good as it did at WDW. It's the Ripe Plantain Casserole with Avocado from the Dominican Republic.
Thank you for letting us know how it turned out, quiltymom-and thanks for the great tips!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #1158
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Love these recipes and pictures! So glad to have found this thread!
Gretchen
Welcome, Gretchen!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #1159
lynninpa

Cheesy Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3disneygirls View Post
I'm glad they turned out so well. I wish I could have made them last night. I was telling hubby that they would have been so good with the steak we made. I'm going to have to keep the ingredients on hand, we are getting sick of boring old rice pilaf.

Did you use all water or half water half milk?
Actually, I did not follow a Disney recipe. heehee The market was mobbed (the weather man says an inch of snow and everyone runs to the market!) and so I just used what I had on hand. I made the grits and when almost done, added Montery Jack cheese, butter, a pinch of cayenne pepper and fresh cracked pepper. Next time, though, i will use a stronger cheese. And yes, I ended up using half milk, half water.

Last edited by lynninpa; 01-27-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #1160
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
Thank you for letting us know how it turned out, quiltymom-and thanks for the great tips!
You're welcome! Just so you know, it's listed under "vegetables" in the F&WF cookbook.
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #1161
lynninpa

Food & Wine recipe - Pastelon de Platenos Amarillos

Quote:
Just so you know, it's listed under "vegetables" in the F&WF cookbook.
Ooops! Thanks, quiltymom! I will change it in the recipe index!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #1162
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Quote:
The Recipe Exchange made Headlines in the DisNewsletter!
Congratulations, what a achievement!!!

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE IS A DREAM IN PA MISSING
THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #1163
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
I just make this recipe for dinner tonight. It turned out just about as good as it did at WDW. It's the Ripe Plantain Casserole with Avocado from the Dominican Republic.
I posted this one back on page 26 but am VERY glad to have someone else post of "Real Life" picture of the dish and confirm what I suspected about the recipe. The grass green plantains I had access to, were still green after 5days in a bag with a banana and I had to go ahead and make the recipe. My notes also say that this would taste great with super ripe plantans OR substitute yams. I'll be trying this again.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 AM   #1164
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Monterey Jack Cheese Grits

Quote:
Actually, I did not follow a Disney recipe. heehee The market was mobbed (the weather man says an inch of snow and everyone runs to the market!) and so I just used what I had on hand. I made the grits and when almost done, added Montery Jack cheese, butter, a pinch of cayenne pepper and fresh cracked pepper. Next time, though, i will use a stronger cheese. And yes, I ended up using half milk, half water
Actually there is a Monterey Jack Cheese Grits recipe in "Cooking with Mickey and the Chefs of Walt Disney World" from the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Monterey Jack Cheese Grits
from Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club
2 T. butter
1/4 cup Finely chopped onion
1/4 cup Finely chopped scallions
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Water
3/4 cup Quick-cooking grits
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 t. Salt, or to taste
1/4 t. Freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup Coarsely grated Monterey Jack Cheese
In a 3-qt saucepan, heat 1 T. of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and scallions and cook, stirring about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the broth and the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the grits in a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for about 10 minutes, or until the grits are done. Stir in the cream and season with the salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cheese and remaining 1 T. butter. Serve hot.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #1165
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Coconut Carrot Raisin Salad

Agree with all the comments on the excess butter and oil in the recipes. I use WW to control my weight and cringe when I think of all the points the fat is adding. I also cut back what they say or use less dressing or don't make the dish if I'm needing to lose some pounds.

Having said that, I made 3 recipes today and they weren't super low cal or anything. I made the Coconut Carrot Raisin Salad from Boma because I LOVED this salad at the buffet. I halved it and followed the recipe to the letter. It's very good BUT not 100% as I remember the dish. My advice (and what I'll do next time) is to use lemon juice or partly lemon juice/white vinegar instead of all vinegar. I'd also cut back on the ginger (I used ground fresh ginger though perhaps they meant powder?) because the fresh ginger and vinegar was a little sharp for the throat. I'd also make more dressing as carrots and coconut really absorb the liquid. I might even add some orange concentrate. Still love this salad but will try and get it closer to the what I ate at Boma.

Coconut Carrot Raisin Salad
from Boma, Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 10 servings

2 pounds Carrots, shredded
1 pound Coconut
½ pound Brown Sugar
¾ pound Raisins
½ pound Ground Ginger
1 each Pineapple, whole grilled, peeled, and sliced

Dressing:
8 ounces Yogurt
¼ quart White Vinegar
½ T. Crushed Red Pepper
¼ cup Mint, chiffonade
1. Make the dressing and set aside.
2. Cook carrots and coconut with brown sugar until carrots are three fourths done and coated with caramelized sugar. Take off the heat, add raisins and ground ginger, and stir together. Let cool.
3. Grill sliced pineapple, and mix with coconut carrot mix and yogurt dressing.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #1166
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Pork Loin With XO Sauce

Pork Loin With XO Sauce
from Nine Dragons Restaurant at Epcot (from Delicious Disney cookbook)
Yield: 4 servings

1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into thick slices (Orlando Sentinel version uses 8 ounces which is not enough for 4)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 whole green onion, diced, for garnish
Steamed rice for serving

Marinade:
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. dried chicken base
1 Tblsp each: Asian cooking wine, cornstarch and flour
1 egg
1 Tblsp sesame oil
White pepper to taste

XO Sauce
3 Tblsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. chicken boullion (Orlando Sentinel version uses 1/4 cup)
3 tsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. oyster sauce
*2 Tblsp XO Paste (seasoning paste sold in Asian grocery stores)
2 Tblsp oil
1 Tblsp chopped garlic
2 Tblsp Asian cooking wine
1 Tblsp chicken bouillion
1 Tblsp sugar
White pepper to taste
1 Tblsp sesame oil
2/3 cup of water to thin sauce, if needed

1. Mix all marinade ingredients together. Clean and pat the pork loin dry. Cut pork into 1/2" thick slices. Marinate the pork in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. Make XO Sauce and keep warm.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan. Sauté pork slices about 5 - 7" until golden brown. Plate pork slices in a stack on a serving plate. Pour XO sauce over pork slices.
4. Garnish with green onions. Serve with steamed rice and stir-fried green beans.

XO Sauce
1. In a small bowl, dissolve 3 Tbsp. cornstarch in the chicken broth. Set aside. (no way this can dissolve - so maybe use 1/4 cup as the Orlando Sent. version does)
2.In another small bowl, mix soy sauce, oyster sauce and XO paste. Set aside.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in saucepan. Add garlic and sautee until golden. Stir in XO suace from Step 2, then cooking wine.
4. Gradually stir in chicken bouillion, sugar, pepper to taste and sesame oil. Dissolve 3 tablespoons cornstarch in 1/4 cup chicken broth. Once mixture begins to bubble, stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken. (you may need to add water as the picture shows it being like a thick sauce texture - not a gravy texture)**Strain, set aside, keep warm.
** The Orlando Sentinel version leaves out the straining but the picture shows a very smooth sauce - not lumpy with garlic and corn starch. When I pressed the sauce through the sieve it was very thick and I added at least 2/3 water to thin it out and make it less salty.
* XO sauce is a spicy liquid used in Asian cookery to enhance stir-fried meat, seafood, tofu and vegetable dishes.

Review- I used a ready frozen stir fry mix to cut down on the prep time. My son and I really liked the taste of the pork and sauce taste but we like things on the salty side.

I also made the Rice Cream with Strawberry Sauce from Restaurant Akershus but will review it another time.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #1167
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Ooops! Thanks, quiltymom! I will change it in the recipe index!
Sorry - I didn't know you had already noted it on the list! I thought that I'd help you out... Oh well. You're doing a great job with this thread! It is amazing. I just wish that I had more time to make some of this stuff every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
I posted this one back on page 26 but am VERY glad to have someone else post of "Real Life" picture of the dish and confirm what I suspected about the recipe. The grass green plantains I had access to, were still green after 5days in a bag with a banana and I had to go ahead and make the recipe. My notes also say that this would taste great with super ripe plantans OR substitute yams. I'll be trying this again.
Humm -- didn't see that! If I did I wouldn't have posted the recipe again, just the notes.

I have no idea how to ripen plantains, either. I've also tried to wait for them to ripen faster in a brown bag, but with no luck. They are definitely hardy things! Anyone know how to make plantains ripen faster?
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #1168
Prinny27
DIS Veteran

This weekend I tried out two of the recipes - the BLT soup from Sci Fi and the Chicken Asiago Pasta from the All Stars.

The soup was good, but nowhere near as good at Sci Fi. The recipe calls to use canned tomato basil soup, so I used Campbell's Select. It was just a bit too sweet for my taste, so next time I think I'll use just regular tomato soup.

The pasta was very good, but different from what I was expecting. I was assuming it was made with a creamy sauce, but it was instead olive oil with two cheeses melted over the pasta at the last step. It was still delicious, just not what I was expecting!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #1169
my3disneygirls
I have never had the disire to try anything with such a colorful name

LOL. Same here, people even hear 'chance' of snow and the run to the food store as they are about to be barricaded in their homes for weeks.

I was thinking that I would prefer cheddar, Jack is pretty mild and we are big on cheese in our house.

Quote:
Actually, I did not follow a Disney recipe. heehee The market was mobbed (the weather man says an inch of snow and everyone runs to the market!) and so I just used what I had on hand. I made the grits and when almost done, added Montery Jack cheese, butter, a pinch of cayenne pepper and fresh cracked pepper. Next time, though, i will use a stronger cheese. And yes, I ended up using half milk, half water.
my3disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #1170
my3disneygirls
I have never had the disire to try anything with such a colorful name

Quote:
I have no idea how to ripen plantains, either. I've also tried to wait for them to ripen faster in a brown bag, but with no luck. They are definitely hardy things! Anyone know how to make plantains ripen faster?
Did you try putting an apple in the brown bag with the plantains? That usually works when trying to ripen other produce items.
my3disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: