Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 746 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #1141
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Cool The Recipe Exchange made Headlines in the DisNewsletter!

The Recipe Exchange made Headlines in the DisNewsletter!
Quote:
The official Disney Recipe exchange on our Restaurants forum is now up to 293 recipes! Head on over and pick up the recipe to your favorite WDW dishes, or share some of your own. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103

Last edited by lynninpa; 01-26-2008 at 11:11 PM.
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #1142
tiggerfan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
Congratulations, lynninpa!! That's a real honor. That's a great advertisement for your thread, too!

I just stopped in to let you know that I have finally made pulled pork sandwiches using the Flame Tree recipe. I said that I was going to do it a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't have a chance to until this weekend. It was the first time that I'd ever barbecued anything, so I was a little nervous about it. Fortunately, it came out really well! I modified the rub recipe, but I stuck to the original recipe for the BBQ sauce (I added little more Worcestershire sauce). To go along with the pulled pork, I made baked beans and coleslaw. It was a lot of work, but it was definitely worth it. Thanks again for the recipes!!!
tiggerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #1143
PixiePowered
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here is a recipe from The Chef at Blue Bayou. Could it be the one you are looking for?

Blue Bayou Au Gratin Potatoes

Potatoes (baking) 3 lbs, peeled and thin sliced
Onion, thin sliced

Cream Sauce for the Potatoes:
Manufacturing Cream (Heavy Cream) 2 cups
Whole Thyme (dry) 1/4 tsp.
Fresh Garlic (chopped) 2 tbs.
Salt 1-1/4 tsp.
Pepper 1-1/4 tsp
Butter 1 tbs.
Parmesan Cheese (grated) 4 oz

Mix onions and potatoes and put into baking dish. Mix cream, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme leaves. Pour mixture over potatoes and onions and cover. Put in a pre-heated 350F degree oven, and bake for about one hour. When potatoes are tender, remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Put back in the oven uncovered and bake for ten minutes more until brown.
lynninpa... thank you so much! I can't wait to try them out!!!

Upcoming:
???

Completed:
DL - 10/2012 Anaheim Plaza Inn; 06/2011 HoJo's Kids Suite; 10/2009 HoJo's; 08/2008 Residence Inn Maingate; 10/2006 Residence Inn Maingate; 12/2005 Residence Inn Maingate; 06/2005 Residence Inn Maingate; 11/2004 Residence Inn Maingate; 12/2003 Candy Cane Inn; 06/2003 Disneyland Hotel; 05/2002 Candy Cane Inn; 06/2000 Disneyland Hotel; 10/1996 Holiday Inn Express

WDW - 11/2013 Wilderness Lodge; 08/2007 Contemporary Resort
PixiePowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #1144
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
That's wonderful Lynninpa - and it's in great part due to the enourmous work you put into the thread to keep the index and requests so current. Thanks!

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #1145
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan1 View Post
I just stopped in to let you know that I have finally made pulled pork sandwiches using the Flame Tree recipe. I said that I was going to do it a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't have a chance to until this weekend. It was the first time that I'd ever barbecued anything, so I was a little nervous about it. Fortunately, it came out really well! I modified the rub recipe, but I stuck to the original recipe for the BBQ sauce (I added little more Worcestershire sauce). To go along with the pulled pork, I made baked beans and coleslaw. It was a lot of work, but it was definitely worth it. Thanks again for the recipes!!!
Thanks for letting us know how the Rub & BBQ sauce turned out, tiggerfan! And thanks for adding your personal tips.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #1146
lynninpa

Blue Bayou Au Gratin Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePowered View Post
lynninpa... thank you so much! I can't wait to try them out!!!
Do let us all know how they turn out, PixiePowered!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #1147
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

I just wanted to thank everyone for the time and effort this took. I made the Artist Point mac and cheese for a party and it was the biggest hit. Keep the recipes coming!!!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #1148
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Food & Wine recipe - Pastelon de Platenos Amarillos

I just make this recipe for dinner tonight. It turned out just about as good as it did at WDW. It's the Ripe Plantain Casserole with Avocado from the Dominican Republic.

There is one important thing that you should know about this recipe before you try to make it. It says that it it serves 4. Well, 4 giants, maybe. I halved the recipe and I'd say that it would easily serve 8 as a side dish if everyone took a large portion. It made enough to fill a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish so you'll need to adjust accordingly if you're making the full recipe.

One tip I'd give you is to not dispose of any of the plantain cooking water. I ended up needing to add water to the plantains while I was mashing them because they were too dry. And I didn't want to add any more butter. Use the water if you need it while mashing the plantains. You definitely do not want them dry since they will also be baked.

I also made guacamole to put on top by adding chopped onion & cilantro to the avocado and mashing it all up.

Use the blackest plantains that you can find. The blacker the plantain, the sweeter it is. But if you can't find black ones, the green ones will work, too. They are also hard to peel. I found that they are easier to peel if they are cut in half with the ends cut off, then sliced in half lengthwise.

So, here it goes. This is very yummy!

Pastelon de Platenos Amarillos

6 ripe plantains
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 cup coarsely chopped red pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons plantain cooking water
1/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup butter
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

GARNISH
1 avocado
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square casserole dish or gratin dish.
  2. Peel the plantains and boil in salted water until soft and tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. In the meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
  4. Add the onion, red pepper and celery. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetable are soft. Stir in the tomato paste, the cooking water and the raisins. Taste for seasoning.
  5. Drain the tender plantains and return them to the pot. Puree the plantains with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Layer a gratin pan with 1/2 of the mashed plantains and 1/3 of the cheese.
  7. Layer the vegetables over the cheese and cover them with another third of the cheese.
  8. Add the remaining mashed plantains on top and cover them with the remaining cheese.
  9. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
  10. Peel and slice the avocado into thin slices. Gently mix the slices in a small bowl with the lime juice and season to taste.
  11. Serve the plantain casserole from the baking dish and pass the sliced avocados separately.
Here is a photo of it from the F&WF:

In this photo it looks like they added grated carrots to the veggie mix and mixed the whole thing up instead of layering it in a pan. I'm sure that it was a lot easier to fix that way.
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.

Last edited by quiltymom; 01-27-2008 at 07:53 PM.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #1149
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Love these recipes and pictures! So glad to have found this thread!
Gretchen
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #1150
my3disneygirls
I have never had the disire to try anything with such a colorful name

Quote:
I made them tonight as a dinner side dish for the first time and they were a big hit! My DH thought he would only like them for breakfast with cinnamon sugar yet loved them with Montery Jack cheese with dinner!
I'm glad they turned out so well. I wish I could have made them last night. I was telling hubby that they would have been so good with the steak we made. I'm going to have to keep the ingredients on hand, we are getting sick of boring old rice pilaf.

Did you use all water or half water half milk?
my3disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #1151
iggbees
DIS Veteran

anyone have the recipe for shrimp scampi from the old disney cookbook? it's from the Lake Buena Visa Club in that book Cooking with Mickey around the world. that scampi is amazing, i bought shrimp specifically to make this and my mom is not in the same location as her book this week!

my flickr
iggbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #1152
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggbees View Post
anyone have the recipe for shrimp scampi from the old disney cookbook? it's from the Lake Buena Visa Club in that book Cooking with Mickey around the world. that scampi is amazing, i bought shrimp specifically to make this and my mom is not in the same location as her book this week!
Is this the recipe you are looking for, iggbees? Let me know!

Shrimp Scampi With Spinach Noodles
From "Cooking with Mickey Around Our World", Lake Buena Vista Club, Lake Buena Vista Communities

3 tb Butter
3 tb Flour
1 ts Salt
1 & 1/2 c Milk or half and half
pepperto taste
3 tb Butter
1 tb Shallots, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb Shrimp, peeled, deveined, -tails off (28-30)
1/3 c Dry white wine
1/8 ts Dried oregano
1/2 ts Chopped chives
6 oz Spinach noodles
Salt to taste ground pepper (fresh) to taste ]Instructions

Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Stir in 3 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups milk or half and half and white pepper. Cook until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened. Makes 1 1/2 cups. Cover and set aside.

Shrimp Scampi

Heat 3 tablespoons butter and saute shallots and garlic for a few seconds. Add shrimp and saute until they turn pink, 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp and set aside. Add wine and chives, salt and pepper to skillet. Cook until wine is reduced to 1/3. Then add cream sauce and blend well. Return shrimp to sauce and heat.
Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain. Place noodles on plates and top with Shrimp Scampi.

Last edited by lynninpa; 01-27-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #1153
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3disneygirls View Post
I'm glad they turned out so well. I wish I could have made them last night. I was telling hubby that they would have been so good with the steak we made. I'm going to have to keep the ingredients on hand, we are getting sick of boring old rice pilaf.

Did you use all water or half water half milk?
I used all water. I'm not sure how it would taste with milk. You could always use more butter for added flavor & moisture. I tend to add less butter in most recipes than is called for, especially Disney recipes! I use buttermilk in place of cream in a lot of stuff, too.

It's a good thing that DH & I like this dish, because there are a lot of leftovers! We're doing lucky by forcing the kids to eat two small bites, but then we do that with all veggies. We're such mean parents!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #1154
iggbees
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is this the recipe you are looking for, iggbees? Let me know!

Shrimp Scampi With Spinach Noodles
From "Cooking with Mickey Around Our World", Lake Buena Vista Club, Lake Buena Vista Communities

3 tb Butter
3 tb Flour
1 ts Salt
1 & 1/2 c Milk or half and half
pepperto taste
3 tb Butter
1 tb Shallots, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb Shrimp, peeled, deveined, -tails off (28-30)
1/3 c Dry white wine
1/8 ts Dried oregano
1/2 ts Chopped chives
6 oz Spinach noodles
Salt to taste ground pepper (fresh) to taste ]Instructions

Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Stir in 3 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups milk or half and half and white pepper. Cook until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened. Makes 1 1/2 cups. Cover and set aside.

Shrimp Scampi

Heat 3 tablespoons butter and saute shallots and garlic for a few seconds. Add shrimp and saute until they turn pink, 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp and set aside. Add wine and chives, salt and pepper to skillet. Cook until wine is reduced to 1/3. Then add cream sauce and blend well. Return shrimp to sauce and heat.
Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain. Place noodles on plates and top with Shrimp Scampi.
thank you!! i can't wait to make this! my mom used to make it growing up and i always loved it. unfortunately my parents are in the process of moving and my mom has her book at the new home.

my flickr
iggbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #1155
my3disneygirls
I have never had the disire to try anything with such a colorful name

Thanks for the info! I do find Disney recipes being very heavy handed with the butter and cream. I love butter and all, but I would like to stick around long enough to see my children graduate from college.

My oldest will eat grits, the other two may try it if they don't know what it is. They are Jersey girls and grits are pretty unknown here. I guess I'm lucky one out of three daughters likes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltymom View Post
I used all water. I'm not sure how it would taste with milk. You could always use more butter for added flavor & moisture. I tend to add less butter in most recipes than is called for, especially Disney recipes! I use buttermilk in place of cream in a lot of stuff, too.

It's a good thing that DH & I like this dish, because there are a lot of leftovers! We're doing lucky by forcing the kids to eat two small bites, but then we do that with all veggies. We're such mean parents!
my3disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: