Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #2341
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWmom View Post
There seem to be multiple recipes for Tonga toast. One version calls for the bread to be dipped in an egg and milk mixture another does not, both say to deep fry the bread.

Blueberry French toast one version says it is Tonga toast but with blueberries instead of bananas. Another calls for the egg milk dip and then fried in butter.

So for those who have eaten Tonga toast was it dipped in the egg mixture before deep frying? For the blueberry French toast eaters was it pan fried or deep fried?

Hopefully we will be having both for breakfast tomorrow.
I'm sorry for the confusion...I think I'm the one who equated the Blueberry French Toast with the Tonga Toast. I only meant that it was thick slices of bread stuffed with fruit. As for dipping them in egg/milk, isn't that a given with French toast??

I do have both versions of that recipe saved in my file & I copied them both on the same day in 2001 - so I don't know if one is an older version or what the deal is. The one where you soak it calls for 4" of oil to fry it in. The other is actual deep frying & requires a much shorter cooking time.

The WL toast is definitely pan fried in butter.

However you decide to make it, I hope you enjoy your toast!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #2342
piratesmate

I'm going to try to finish off my Disneyland folder today, but it will take a couple posts.
= = = = = = = = = = =
Mint Julep
New Orleans Square

1 cup Sugar
3 tsp Lime Juice Concentrate
3 cups Soda Water
6 Tbl Crème de Menthe
6 oz thawed Lemonade Concentrate

Dissolve sugar into soda water. Add lime juice and lemonade and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add Crème de Menthe. Chill. To serve, combine 3 parts syrup to 5 parts water.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Choux Fritters
New Orleans Square
Yield: 3 dozen
½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup water, boiling
¼ tsp salt
1¾ cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
4 cups vegetable oil
Granulated sugar
Melt butter in boiling water, add salt and flour and beat vigorously. Remove from fire as soon as mixture leaves side of pan. Transfer to mixer bowl, cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

Heat oil to 375 degrees. Dip a tablespoon first in hot oil, then in batter. Carefully drop tablespoonfuls of batter into hot oil and cook until brown on all sides. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Roll in granulated sugar and serve hot.
<Source> Guest Courtesy card via Internet

= = = = = = = = = = =
Clam Chowder
New Orleans Square, Chef Ricky Hidalgo
Yield: 4-6 servings.
¼ lb butter
1½ cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 quart milk
1½ cups chopped clams, reserving juice
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cube instant chicken broth
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp thyme
1½ cups cooked and diced potatoes
In a medium saucepan, melt butter; add onions, celery, red and green peppers and thyme. Sautee until tender. Add flour and chicken broth cube; cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes.
Add milk and reserved clam juice. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Add clams, potatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.

= = = = = = = = = = =
New Orleans Square Gumbo (Steak, Chicken, Seafood, or Veggie)

1 lb Butter
1 lb Flour
22 cups Chicken Stock
6.5 oz Diced Celery
6.5 oz Diced Onions
½ lb Cooked Rice
¾ lb Diced Meat (Chicken, Steak, or Seafood)
2 cups Diced Tomatoes
½ lb Cut Okra
(To taste) Salt
1/8 oz White Pepper
1/8 oz Cayenne Pepper
1/8 oz Gumbo File
4 oz Roux (2 oz. Flour & 2 oz. Butter)
Melt butter in a sauce pan, add flour to make a roux (mix of butter and flour). Cook for ¼ hour, add onion and celery, cook for five minutes, add stock (can be made with a mix of water and chicken base) making sure roux is dissolved completely, simmer for 10 minutes, add remaining ingredients, return to a simmer. Adjust salt to taste.

(Note: if using seafood, add seafood at the last minute, making sure seafood is cooked before removing from pot).

[NOTE: You may notice by the amounts mentioned in the ingredients below that this is the mass-production recipe; you will probably want to adjust the quantity.]

<Source> Obtained from City Hall – via the Internet

= = = = = = = = = = =
Rice Pilaf with Nuts
Aladdin's Oasis, Disneyland

2 c rice (parboiled)
¼ lb butter
1 oz pistachio nuts, shelled
1 oz pine nuts
1 oz hazelnuts, shelled
¼ tsp salt
1 oz raisins
1 oz canola oil
1 tsp chicken base or bouillon
5 c water

Roast nuts in oven at 315 degrees F for three minutes. Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add rice, roasted nuts and chicken base; sauté for about one minute. Add water and let rice cook for 10 minutes. Once all of the water is absorbed, add butter and raisins. Mix lightly. Serve hot with kebabs, steaks or chicken.

<Source> Disney Magazine, Fall 1994

Last edited by piratesmate; 07-31-2008 at 11:16 AM.
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #2343
piratesmate

Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
Chef Ricky Hidalgo, Blue Bayou

2 Cups Roasted Red Pepper Puree
1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
1 Pinch Black Pepper
2 Cups Italian Dressing
¼ tsp Salt (To Taste)

1. Rub peppers with salad oil. Roast about 1.5 pounds of red bell peppers, either over the flame or by placing the peppers in the oven at 400 degrees. Bake peppers for about 10 minutes or until the skin looks brown in color, as soon as they come out of the oven put them in a plastic bag and let them rest for about half an hour. Peel the peppers, get rid of all the skin and seeds. Put the peppers in a blender to make the puree.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and combine together well.

= = = = = = = = = = =
SEAFOOD PASTA
DL Stromboli's Ristorante, Chef Shane Cassidy
Serves four

1 Tbl salt
2 Tbl olive oil
8 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 oz sea scallops, whole
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
4 tsp garlic, chopped
4 tsp fresh basil, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
4 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
1 cup white wine
1 lb linguine
8 oz lobster meat, cooked and cut into chunks
1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
Lemon, quartered, for garnish
Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish

In large pot bring 4 quarts of water to a boil; add salt. Place olive oil in large sauté pan. Add shrimp and scallops and sauté over moderately high heat until cooked through (2 to 3 minutes); add mushrooms, garlic and herbs. Add wine and deglaze pan, scraping up brown particles; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to manufacturer's directions; drain. Return cooked pasta to pot. Add lobster to seafood mixture and heat until warmed through. Add seafood mixture and tomatoes to pasta and toss gently. Place in warm bowls and garnish with a lemon wedge and fresh basil sprigs, if desired.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Stuffed Andouille Mushroom
Blue Bayou, Chef Ricky Hidalgo

4 Mushroom Cups
½ oz Green Bell Pepper
½ oz Yellow Bell Pepper
2 Tbl Olive Oil
1 Pinch Salt
3 oz Andouille Sausage
½ oz Red Bell Pepper
½ oz Red Onion, thin sliced
2 Tbl Balsamic Vinegar
1 Pinch White Pepper

1. Stuff mushroom cups with Andouille sausage and place them on a cookie sheet.
2. Place mushroom in preheated oven for 350 degrees and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until they reach the 155 degree internal temperature. Place on the side.
3. In a sauté' pan, add the oil, bell peppers and onions. Cook for approximately 4 minutes or until the onion looks translucent. Add vinegar and cook for 30 seconds, add the salt and white pepper.
4. Place this pepper mix on a medium plate with the stuffed mushrooms on top.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Thin and Crispy Turkey Pizza
Mission Tortilla Factory , DCA DL
Serves 4-6

6 Mission® Soft Taco Size Flour Tortillas
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Oregano
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
3 tsp Olive Oil
¾ cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
½ cup Turkey diced
1 Green or Red Bell Pepper diced
¾ cup Tomatoes diced

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl combine basil, oregano and olive oil. Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with the oil mixture. Sprinkle equal amounts of turkey, green pepper and tomatoes over tortillas. Top each pizza with cheese. Place directly on rack in middle of oven and bake for 8 minutes until crisp.

<Source> Mission Foods

= = = = = = = = = = =
Tonkatsu Sauce (Chicken Marinade)
1 cup Teriyaki Sauce
1 cup Soy Sauce
1 Tbl Red Wine Vinegar
1 cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Sherry Cooking Wine
2 Whole Bay Leaf
1 Tbl Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbl Fresh Ginger Root
2 Tbl Fresh Garlic

Mix ingredients and marinate chicken overnight in your refrigerator.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Yogurt and Dill Dip
Aladdin's Oasis, Disneyland

1 c full fat yogurt
¼ tsp garlic puree
½ c cucumber, peeled and chopped
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
3 Lahvash/Lavosh bread
1 pita bread

Sprinkle salt over chopped cucumber and let stand for 10 minutes. Wrap cucumbers in cheese cloth and gently squeeze out the water. Mix all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and serve cold in a deep dish as a dip for Lahvash/Lavosh and pita bread.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Quote:
Originally Posted by castawayMrs View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for the Valrhona Chocolate Truffle Cake served at Artist Point? I don't know if they'd even give that out or sell it, but I had some at our Disneymoon a couple of years ago and have been CRAVING it for some time now. If only they could MAIL me some... I'm getting DESPERATE to have it!
I have 2 versions of a Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake in my file. This first is a clone/copycat/great pretender version. The 2nd comes from a chef that I don’t know ever worked for Disney. Maybe one of these will satisfy your craving in lieu of the original.

**Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake**
from California Grill **Great Pretender**
Yields: 6-4 ounce individual chocolate cakes

6 oz butter
8¾ oz (by weight) Valrhona chocolate or extra bitter chocolate
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
2¾ oz (by weight) sugar
2 oz (by weight) all purpose flour

Melt butter and chocolate over double boiler. Whip the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until fluffy (approximately 10 minutes) on high speed in mixer. Reduce speed and slowly add flour. Then add melted chocolate and butter mixture until incorporated on low speed. Finally, butter and lightly flour the small molds and fill halfway with cake batter and bake 7-8 minutes at 400 degrees in convection oven.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

<Source> http://www.starprovisions.com/

= = = = = = = = = = =
**Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake**
from Chef Curt Wagner of Vong **Substitute only**
Makes 4 servings

½ c unsalted butter; plus extra for buttering the molds
4 oz good quality bittersweet chocolate; such as Valrhona
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
¼ c sugar
2 tsp flour; plus extra for dusting the molds

1. Lightly butter and flour 4 (4-ounce) molds, custard cups or ramekins. Tap out the excess flour, then butter and flour the molds again. Set aside.

2. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted, about 15 minutes.

3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together eggs, egg yolks and sugar until light and thick, about 5 minutes.

4. Remove melted chocolate from heat. With a wire whisk, beat the chocolate-butter mixture, by hand, until combined. Pour in the egg-sugar mixture and quickly beat in the flour, just until combined (do not overmix).

5. Equally divide the batter among the reserved molds. Place molds on a baking sheet in a preheated 450-degree oven. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until the sides are set but the center is still quite soft and wiggly. Remove from oven and invert each mold onto individual serving plates. Let stand for about 30 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one edge of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately.

<Source> chef2chef.net

Indexes complete through this post.

Last edited by piratesmate; 07-31-2008 at 11:19 AM.
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #2344
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Breakfast Pizza - The Crystal Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan S. View Post
Hi, I am looking for the recipie for BREAKFAST PIZZA that is sevred at the CP Buffet in the morning?? My DS would like to make it in his Home Ec class at school. (the home ec teacher has asked for suggestions!) I LOVE to cook and bake so I LOVE this thread!! Joan
Breakfast Pizza
The Crystal Palace, Magic Kingdom, WDW
for 1 pizza

1 Pizza crust
1 cup scrambled Eggs
3 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 ounces Sausage gravy (recipe below)

Spread gravy on pizza crust and top with eggs and cheeses. Place in oven and allow cheese to melt. Cut into sixteen pieces and place in pizza pan. Place in warmer until needed.

Sausage Gravy
Serves 6-8 people

2 cups milk -- hot
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons yellow onions -- chopped
½ pound bulk sausage -- pork
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Heat a skillet and fry the sausage and onions until sausage is brown and onion is clear.
Drain off all grease except for 2 tablespoons. Stir in the flour and cook for just a minute, add the hot milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #2345
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Breakfast Pizza
The Crystal Palace, Magic Kingdom, WDW
for 1 pizza

1 Pizza crust
1 cup scrambled Eggs
3 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 ounces Sausage gravy (recipe below)

Spread gravy on pizza crust and top with eggs and cheeses. Place in oven and allow cheese to melt. Cut into sixteen pieces and place in pizza pan. Place in warmer until needed.

Sausage Gravy
Serves 6-8 people

2 cups milk -- hot
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons yellow onions -- chopped
½ pound bulk sausage -- pork
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Heat a skillet and fry the sausage and onions until sausage is brown and onion is clear.
Drain off all grease except for 2 tablespoons. Stir in the flour and cook for just a minute, add the hot milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
Hi, THANKS so much for taking the time to post this!! It is still one of my DS favorites!! And we just dined at the CP two weeks ago! Joan
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #2346
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Italian Margarita

Posted on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtm610 View Post
Italian Margarita

Here's the recipe I got from the bartender at Alfredo's
6oz margarita mix
1oz Julia grappa
1oz lemonchello
Mix and freeze

We did find that it makes a BIG difference if you use a different kind of grappa.
These are a huge hit at all our parties!
Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #2347
Mrs. M. Mouse
Dreaming of Disney

Loving this thread! I am on pg 33 and have also checked the index and didn't find this recipe. if anyone has come across it or is heading down and eating at Akershus in Norway for the storybook lunch or dinner could you please ask for the recipe for their

Traditional Kjottkake
Ground beef and pork patty served with garlic mashed potatoes,
seasonal vegetables and Lingonberry sauce

it was my husband's favorite at our meal and I didn't think to ask for a recipe! thanks.

now off to read the rest lol...
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #2348
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. M. Mouse View Post
Loving this thread! I am on pg 33 and have also checked the index and didn't find this recipe. if anyone has come across it or is heading down and eating at Akershus in Norway for the storybook lunch or dinner could you please ask for the recipe for their

Traditional Kjottkake
Ground beef and pork patty served with garlic mashed potatoes,
seasonal vegetables and Lingonberry sauce

it was my husband's favorite at our meal and I didn't think to ask for a recipe! thanks.

now off to read the rest lol...
Kjottkaker
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Norway, Epcot

1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
2 ounces minced shallots
2 ounces minced capers
5 ounces steamed beets
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
to taste kosher salt
to taste pepper
olive oil

Steam beets just until knife tender, peel and small dice. Mince all vegetables and mix all ingredients together. Test a small amount for seasoning. Form 1 to 1 ½ ounce portion patties. Pan fry in olive oil to medium well.
Note: Canned beets can be used.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #2349
Mrs. M. Mouse
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellona View Post
CORN CHOWDER

3 tbsp Butter
2/3 cup Flour
7 oz Diced Onion (1 medium)
7 oz Peeled Diced Potato (1 medium)
1 quart Milk
¼ cup Chicken Stock
13 oz Creamed Corn (1 small can)
10 oz Frozen Corn (1 small box)
2 tbsp Salt
¼ tsp White Pepper

Over low heat, melt butter, onions and sauté’ until tender/translucent. Add flour, cook approx. 5 minutes stirring continuously. Add remaining ingredients and whisk together. Simmer ½ hour or until potatoes are tender. Adjust seasoning and serve. Yield: Eight, 8 oz portions
I just finished making this chowder. It tastes delish! the only thing I would change in future is the ammount of salt. 2 tbsp is alot of salt and I ended up having to put in an extra peeled potato to try to cut down of the salt.

I also made some biscuits from my own recipe book in the shape of mickey heads to go along...will take a pic later to share.

Last edited by Mrs. M. Mouse; 08-05-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Mrs. M. Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #2350
Mrs. M. Mouse
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Kjottkaker
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Norway, Epcot

Thank you so much! Dh will Love this!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #2351
PennieGirl
Earning My Ears

Recipe Request

I would love the recipe for the Sauerbraten from Biergarten if anyone has it.

May 09 - SSR & DCL; 07 - SSR, 06, 97, 94, 93 - CB; 01, 00, 88, 83 - Offsite

DVC Member Since March '06
PennieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #2352
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Sauerbraten- Biergarten Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennieGirl View Post
I would love the recipe for the Sauerbraten from Biergarten if anyone has it.
Sauerbraten
Served at Biergarten Restaurant, Germany Pavilion, Epcot

Sauerbraten Marinade
1 pound onions, peeled, diced
½ pound carrots
½ pounds celery, diced
1 ounce minced garlic
1 quart red wine vinegar
1 quart red wine, 3 liter bottles
½ ounce fresh thyme
3 each whole cloves
1 each bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
10 pounds beef eye round

1. Combine all of the ingredients except the beef.
2. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add the beef eye round, and let marinade for at least 4-5 days.

Sauerbraten Sauce

6 ounces ginger snap cookies
¼ cup tomato paste
8 ounces burgundy wine
64 ounces sauerbraten drippings
64 ounces demi-glaze
16 ounces sauerbraten marinade
8 ounces roux

1. Heat sauerbraten drippings, sauerbraten marinade, and demi-glaze to a simmer.
2. Add the tomato paste.
3. Let simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Mix together the ginger snap cookies and burgundy wine in a separate container.
5. Add this to the demi-glace mixture.
6. Let simmer for another 30 minutes.
7. If the sauce is too thin add enough roux to thicken.
8. Strain sauce.

Sauerbraten Cooking

Method
1. Braise the marinated eye rounds of beef.
2. Sauté until all sides have been browned.
3. Place in a roasting pan. Place half sauerbraten marinade and half demi-glace in the pan to cover 3/4 of the browned eye rounds of beef.
4. Cover with foil.
5. Place in a 375 degree oven.
6. The sauerbraten can be removed from the oven when the meat is tender by the feel of a meat fork. Approximately 3-4 hours.

NOTE: Reserve the liquid that the eye rounds were cooked. This will be used for the sauerbraten sauce. Also the sauerbraten is best when the marinated eye rounds are cooked the day before. Slice the cooked sauerbraten, and place in a pan. Ladle the sauerbraten sauce over the cooked sauerbraten and reheat in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30-45 minutes.

Last edited by Tatania; 08-06-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #2353
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. M. Mouse View Post
I just finished making this chowder. It tastes delish! the only thing I would change in future is the ammount of salt. 2 tbsp is alot of salt and I ended up having to put in an extra peeled potato to try to cut down of the salt.

I also made some biscuits from my own recipe book in the shape of mickey heads to go along...will take a pic later to share.
That dish looks gorgeous and the Mickey shaped biscuits are TOO cute. It's inspired me to try it. There's a thread for sharing your Disney dishes in this section and you could also show this dish there.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #2354
Mrs. M. Mouse
Dreaming of Disney

Thanks Tatania. I'll take a look there once I've finished reading this one...on pg 68....just about 100 more to go lol...

Oh my So soory tatania I spelled your name wrong to begin with. must pay more attention to the little details!!!

Last edited by Mrs. M. Mouse; 08-06-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling on tatania's name
Mrs. M. Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #2355
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

My DD now wants to make Mickey head biscuits.

That looks great and the soup is yummy.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: