Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 755 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #2071
jennz
DIS Veteran

I love this thread! I found it while googling the Spicy Italian Sausage from Mama Melrose, still looking for that recipe but I should have checked the Dis first...when will I ever learn?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #2072
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
I love this thread! I found it while googling the Spicy Italian Sausage from Mama Melrose, still looking for that recipe but I should have checked the Dis first...when will I ever learn?
I just added this to the Request List at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635 (post #4)

It must be time for lunch. While checking to make sure I have the title exactly right, I read the description. Now I need something to eat! Yummy! "Spicy Italian Sausage - Served with Rigatoni pasta, peppers, onions, and a tomato basil sauce topped with Caprino cheese."

You can also try writing to WDW directly to request the recipe: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Tatania posted one day to say she has these from Mama Melrose if anyone is interested:
Chicken and Chianti Risotto
Mama's Fruit Salad
Penne Bolognese
Tomato, Onion and Herb Salad

I also have these - again if anyone is interested:
4 Cheese Flatbread
Brick-Oven Baked Caprino
Caesar Dressing
Charred Sirloin with Asparagus & Red Pepper and Gorgonzola Polenta
Italian Bread Soup
Oak-Grilled Italian Sausage***
Oven-Baked Chicken Parmesan
Penne Alla Vodka
Roasted Vegetable Pizza
Shrimp Carbonara
Sun-Dried Tomato & Roasted Garlic Spread
Veal Osso Buco with Saffron Risotto
Wood-Fired Gilled Chicken with Four Cheese Sauce

***ETA: I just looked at this recipe. The name doesn't match what's on the menu now, but the ingredients look right. This may be what you're looking for:

Oak Grilled Italian Sausage
Mama Melrose, Disney-MGM Studios
Yield: 2 portions

2 each 6 oz sausages; half hot, half mild
2½ c Regatini Romanio pasta
2 c Tomato Basil Sauce (recipe below)
2 Tbl Caprino cheese, sliced
2 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl garlic
½ c Chianti wine (Tizano)
1/8 c fresh basil, chiffonade
3 oz roasted peppers
3 oz roasted onion

Grill sausages in advance. Cool, slice and reserve for service. Cook and cool pasta. Sauté garlic in olive oil. Add the peppers, onions and sausage. Deglaze with the Chianti. Add the pasta and the tomato sauce, cook until hot. Place in bowl and top with the Caprino cheese and basil.

Tomato Basil Sauce

½ lb Onions, Diced
2 3/8 oz Garlic, Minced
2 7/8 lb Tomato, Crushed
1 7/8 lb Tomato, Diced
3 Tbl Olive Oil
4 oz Tomato Juice
1 1/3 Basil, Chopped Frozen
¼ oz Oregano, Dry
¼ oz Kosher Salt
1¼ oz Sugar
¼ oz Black Pepper, Ground
2½ oz Tomato Paste

Roast garlic in olive oil, stirring until garlic has nutty roasted aroma. Add onions, and sauté until onions become transparent. Add all other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for at least 1.5 hours, stirring regularly so you don't scorch the sauce. Serve or chill immediately.

<source> LuxuryDisneyGuide ***I just checked their website & the basil for the sauce is missing the measurements also - so I didn't just copy it down wrong. And the Penne Alla Vodka has the same sauce recipe - also without the measurement.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #2073
jennz
DIS Veteran

Wow - thanks!! That sounds good. I'm not sure if that's it since it's DH's favorite and I've never had it but I might have to try it. I'll also email WDW. I think I'll have to 1/2 the recipe though - that's a LOT of tomatos!

ok wait - I just reread and it says "serves 2"...so I think I'm confused...do I need 2 and 7/8 # of crushed tomato and 1 and 7/8# diced? Sorry!!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #2074
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wow - thanks!! That sounds good. I'm not sure if that's it since it's DH's favorite and I've never had it but I might have to try it. I'll also email WDW. I think I'll have to 1/2 the recipe though - that's a LOT of tomatos!

ok wait - I just reread and it says "serves 2"...so I think I'm confused...do I need 2 and 7/8 # of crushed tomato and 1 and 7/8# diced? Sorry!!
Looks like you will need both. One for the body of the sauce and one for the piece that give it texture. Its really not that much as some tomatoes on their own can weigh a pound or more.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #2075
piratesmate

Quote:

Sorry - I wasn't paying attention to my email notifications.

First, greeneyes is right: You'll need both types for texture & some tomatoes weigh very heavy.

But my other thought is that the sauce recipe probably makes more than is needed for 2 servings of this recipe. The recipe is exactly the same for the Penne Alla Vodka, but that one doesn't say how many servings it is. My first thought wasn't the amount of tomato, but the amount of onion. LOL But I'm allergic, so a half pound sounds like a LOT to me.

I'm looking to see if I can find out more info on the sauce recipe. The Oak-Grilled Italian Sausage recipe appears to be only on the site I got it from, but the other one is on other sites.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #2076
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
And thanks IggyLans for posting the alternate recipe! I'm able to adjust amounts easily enough, but sometimes the ingredients needed cause a problem. The second version on page 8 is much more do-able in that respect.
What did I miss here? Alternate recipe for what?

I wish I could try all those cool sounding vinegars at the Posh Gourmet. is the strawberry vinaigrette really good? Maybe I'll look around for that today.

Regarding Mama Melrose recipes: it sounds like you have two that I don't think I have - so would like the Roasted Vegetable Pizza (sounds perfect now that I'm back on WW) and the Veal Osso Buco with Saffron Risotto. I don't eat veal because of how the calves are treated but may as well have the recipe for archival purposes.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #2077
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post

I wish I could try all those cool sounding vinegars at the Posh Gourmet. is the strawberry vinaigrette really good? Maybe I'll look around for that today.

Regarding Mama Melrose recipes: it sounds like you have two that I don't think I have - so would like the Roasted Vegetable Pizza (sounds perfect now that I'm back on WW) and the Veal Osso Buco with Saffron Risotto. I don't eat veal because of how the calves are treated but may as well have the recipe for archival purposes.
Could you substitute chicken for the veal?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #2078
piratesmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post

Sorry about that. I don't know why you couldn't follow my convoluted ramblings. I was talking about the Strawberry Vinaigrette recipes. The recipe on page 7 is the one I have - it calls for Strawberry vinegar & strawberry melba. The recipe on page 8 says you can substitute red wine vinegar & uses frozen strawberries, but no melba.

I haven't tried it yet since I just found this thread a couple weeks ago, but plan to soon. I like raspberry vinaigrette & strawberries, so I figured I'll probably like this too. Plus, I can substitute Splenda for the sugar & greatly reduce the oil. Purchased low-fat dressings don't work for me as they're so high in sugar...gotta have something to make it thick I guess.

We don't eat veal either, but I'm sure you could substitute chicken for the veal. I mean there are recipes for both chicken & veal parmigiana as well as chicken or veal picatta, right? So why not?

Roasted Vegetable Pizza
from Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano - MGM

1 Pizza Crust/Flatbread
1 Tbl Basil pesto
1/8 c Sliced onions
1 Tbl Red Pepper (roasted)
1Tbl Green Pepper (roasted)
1/8 c Portabello Mushroom (roasted)
1 Tomato (sliced)
½ c Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
to taste Salt/Pepper
as needed flour

Stretch pizza crust to desired thickness, and randomly puncture with tip of knife to prevent crust from bubbling. Spread pesto evenly over crust leaving ¼" border. Top pesto with sliced tomatoes, then shredded cheese, season with salt and pepper. Top cheese with roasted vegetables. Place in 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes or until crust is at desired crispness.
Note: Pita/flatbread/tortilla, or any flatbread may be substituted for pizza crust as an alternative option

= = = = = = = = = = = =
Veal Osso Buco
Mama Melrose, Disney-MGM Studios

2 Tbl olive oil
3 1/8 lb veal shank
2 oz seasoned flour
5 1/3 oz celery, small diced
5 1/3 oz carrot, small diced
5 1/3 oz onion, small diced
1 Tbl garlic, minced
13 oz crushed tomatoes
1¼ c white wine
To taste Kosher salt
To taste Ground Black Pepper
Dry the veal shank and dredge in seasoned flour. Sear in olive oil. Reserve. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté until caramelized. Return the veal shank to the vegetables, add remaining ingredients and braise until tender. Serve with Saffron Risotto.

Saffron Risotto
2 c chicken stock
2½ tsp whole butter
5 oz sweet onion, small dice
3.4 c Arborio rice***
2 2/3 oz white wine
1/8 pinch saffron
2 tsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
¼ tsp Kosher salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Asiago cheese, shredded

Bloom saffron in white wine, reserve until needed. Bring chicken stock to a simmer, have ready. Sauté onions in butter until translucent. Add Arborio rice and sauté in butter until well coated, about 3-5 minutes. Add the white wine and saffron. Stir until all liquid is absorbed. Add the chicken stock in stages until 90 percent is absorbed. Add the Pecorino cheese, black pepper and salt as needed. Finish with Asiago cheese.

[NOTE: The amount of Arborio rice was copied, not re-typed from the original source. I'm guessing that it means ¾ cup and not "three point four" cups as there wouldn't be enough liquid to cook the rice otherwise.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #2079
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Chicken would not be a good substitute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
We don't eat veal either, but I'm sure you could substitute chicken for the veal. I mean there are recipes for both chicken & veal parmigiana as well as chicken or veal picatta, right? So why not?

...actually, you will probably be disappointed with the results if you use chicken for the Osso Buco. The slow braise that is used in the cooking process is meant for making tougher cuts more tender (the veal shank is a relatively tough cut of veal). If you were to use chicken breast it would probably get rubbery and tough.......the bones of a chicken would not hold up to the process either, they would turn to mush. If you have ever simmered chicken with bones for stocks or soups, I am sure you have seen what happens to chicken bones after long periods of being cooked in liquid........yuck for eating, but great for the resulting stock/broth. I would suggest using good cross cuts of beef or lamb shank with bone (bones add flavor) for the Osso Buco.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #2080
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Black-Eye Pea Salad & Black-Eye Pea with Ginger Soy Sauce

Two Black-Eye Pea recipes from Boma/AKL. Received via email.

BLACK EYE PEA SALAD
Boma – Flavors of Africa
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 pound Black Eye Peas, soaked overnight and cook
  • 1 pound Corn Kernels, roasted
  • 2 each Tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 large Onion, diced
  • 1 cup Scallions, diced
  • 1 cup Spinach
  • 1 T. Basil, rough chop

Dressing
  • ½ cup Lime Juice (add water if concentrate)
  • ¼ cup Sugar
  • ¼ cup Rice Vinegar
  • 1 ½ cups Safflower Oil
  • 1 t. Red Crushed Pepper
  • 1 t. Ground Cardamom, toasted
  • 1 t. Granulated Sugar
  • ½ each Lime, zest

Method of Preparation
1. Make the dressing and set aside.
2. Cook black eye peas. Let cool.
3. Mix all the ingredients together and let marinate for at least 15 minutes.

BLACK EYE PEAS WITH GINGER SOY JUICE
Boma – Flavors of Africa

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
  • 1/8 pound Black Eye Peas (raw, soak overnight)
  • 1/16 cup Safflower Oil/Vegetable Oil
  • 1/8 pound White Onions, diced small
  • 1/8 quart Ginger Soy Juice
  • 1/16 pound Spinach, julienned
Method of Preparation
1. Cook the black eye peas with water, salt and pepper. Drain and let cool.
2. Heat oil in sauté pan. Add onion and black eye peas, stirring constantly.
3. Add ginger soy juice and continue stirring. Add spinach just before serving.

GINGER SOY JUICE
Boma – Flavors of Africa

Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1 ½ cups Water
  • 6 tablespoons Fresh Ginger, finely chopped

Method of Preparation
1. In a stainless pot, heat all the ingredients until it boils. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Strain the juice through a China cap. Let cool.
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #2081
piratesmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
...actually, you will probably be disappointed with the results if you use chicken for the Osso Buco. The slow braise that is used in the cooking process is meant for making tougher cuts more tender (the veal shank is a relatively tough cut of veal). If you were to use chicken breast it would probably get rubbery and tough.......the bones of a chicken would not hold up to the process either, they would turn to mush. If you have ever simmered chicken with bones for stocks or soups, I am sure you have seen what happens to chicken bones after long periods of being cooked in liquid........yuck for eating, but great for the resulting stock/broth. I would suggest using good cross cuts of beef or lamb shank with bone (bones add flavor) for the Osso Buco.

Good point if you're following directions. I would have just dredged boneless chicken, seared it quickly & then just cooked it all together to absorb the flavor where it says "braise until tender". I just glossed over that word "braise". I tend to forget that other people actually follow a recipe.

As for the chicken bones...I know exactly what you mean! Someone gave me a recipe that called for bone-in chicken to be made in the crock pot. She'd made it for us once & the flavor was quite nice. It only called for 5 or 6 hours on LOW, but I missed that & put it in before leaving for work at 8:30. By the time I got home at 6 it was awful! You were supposed to stir cornstarch into the juices & serve it over the chicken, but the juices were full of the mealy remnants of the bones. Now I just use boneless for everything.

And since we were doing Mama Melrose recipes today...
Has anyone ever tried this one? I just can't imagine using 37 slices of bread! And why are you using white bread for Italian Bread Soup?!? I would have expected it to call for Italian bread. (I realize it's probably because of the Italian sausage. )

Italian Bread Soup
Mama Melrose - Disney-MGM Studios

8 oz button mushrooms sliced
2 Tbl virgin olive oil
1 lb sweet Italian sausage - skinned & crumbled
8 oz yellow onion - small diced
8 oz stalk celery - small diced
12 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
5 qt chicken stock
To taste Kosher salt
To taste ground black pepper
37 slices white bread toasted

In a pot large enough to hold all ingredients, warm the olive oil over low heat. Add onion and sausage and fry gently, stirring frequently until onion is translucent. Add the celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Boil until flavorful, about 15 minutes.

At time of serving, add the toasted bread to bowl and pour hot soup over.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Sun-Dried Tomato and Roasted Garlic Spread
Mama Melrose - Disney-MGM Studios

¼ c garlic, roasted
1 c Kalamata olives
1½ Tbl balsamic vinegar
1/8 c basil, chiffonade*
8 oz sun-dried tomatoes, halved
½ tsp black pepper
¾ c olive oil

Soak olives in water to remove the salt brine flavor. While olives are soaking gather the rest of your ingredients. After soaking the olives for about an hour, drain and place all ingredients except the basil into a food processor. Blend until pureed. After it is mixed well, fold in the basil.

[*To create chiffonade, stack several leaves on top of one another, roll them tightly into a cigar shape, then use a sharp knife to thinly slice the roll. The leaves will unfurl as you slice them (pictured at right). Gradually move your fingers away from the knife as you slice farther down the roll.

Chiffonade usually refers to cutting into thin strips, whereas the term "julienne" refers to matchstick-size sticks.]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #2082
jennz
DIS Veteran

Made the Italian Sausage recipe - very very tasty!! I have enough sauce to feed the neigbhorhood...but very good! DH loved it too.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #2083
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Chicken still doesn't work for Osso Buco

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
Good point if you're following directions. I would have just dredged boneless chicken, seared it quickly & then just cooked it all together to absorb the flavor where it says "braise until tender". I just glossed over that word "braise". I tend to forget that other people actually follow a recipe.
Help me understand something.......if you are not concerned with following recipes, why collect them???? I guess my advice is for those who actually are looking to follow the directions written in the recipe. I was trying to give an idea to help people who want to follow the recipe but may have an aversion to a certain ingredient..........by simply searing off some chicken and simmering it in the sauce does not impart the deep rich flavor of the Osso Buco. Osso Buco's flavor comes from the slow braise which allows the flavor from the bone to infuse the meat and sauce; the Italian term "ossobuco" references the importance of bone marrow in the dish........can't duplicate that with seared chicken. Yes, you can make the sauce and add chicken, but it is no longer Osso Buco, it is more like a Chicken Cacciatore, not Osso Buco.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #2084
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Lamb Chops with Asian Pear and Kiwi Salsa with Sweet Potato Purée

Quote:
Sorry about that. I don't know why you couldn't follow my convoluted ramblings. I was talking about the Strawberry Vinaigrette recipes. The recipe on page 7 is the one I have - it calls for Strawberry vinegar & strawberry melba. The recipe on page 8 says you can substitute red wine vinegar & uses frozen strawberries, but no melba.
LOL, that was cute. I have to check my Strawberry Vinaigrette recipes and see what version I have.

Today I was working close to a gourmet shop (with gourmet type prices) and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the exact same vinegars (Cuisine Perel) that Posh Gourmet was selling. They didn't have all the flavors but they had lots of the Key Lime vinegar. Now, I've never paid $13.59 for 6 1/2 ounces of vinegar, but decided this time I'd splurge. I ended up buying 2 Key Lime Vinegars, 1 Blood Orange vinegar (that won't even stretch to the recipe they have on the back which calls for 1 cup of vinegar) and a Raspberry Champagne vinegar. I saw cheaper vinegars that had juice added (stuff like "Balsamic vinegar with orange juice") but didn't know if they would be as good a quality.

Anyway, the Key Lime vinegar is very good and can be used on salad without oil. Ironically, the ingredient list on the back is: "white wine vinegar, white grape juice, cider vinegar, natural lime flavoring and natural lemon juice" - so it's just vinegar with juice added
If you're interested, the ingredients on the Blood Orange Vinegar are orange juice, white wine vinegar, white grape juice, cider vinegar, natural orange extract and annatto (a coloring agent).

Of course, I had to try the recipe right away and unlike others : I approach my recipes as if I'm doing a Ph.D. in chemistry. I follow instructions to the letter, unless they really makes no sense - in which case I'll improvise.

The Key Lime Vinaigrette tastes very good and different - thanks to the vinegar - and the key, as always, is to use top notch ingredients. The 6tablespoons chopped herbs seem a little much for the 3/4 cups of liquid because it makes for a very thick vinaigrette. I ended up making 1 cup of vinegar/oil mix instead. Because the vinegar is so good on its own, I would cut way back on the olive oil next time (or leave it out), to save on calories.

Thanks for posting the new recipes piratesmate and deekaypee. The Peas with the Ginger was new for me.

Spoodles Chef Tony Marotta did a podcast demonstrating the White Bean Moussaka they serve at Spoodles. The podcast is no longer up but did anyone catch the recipe? It's a very good vegetarian entree.

I've not made the Mama Melrose Bread Soup but had the real deal (Pomadora) last summer in Tuscany. It's a very thick soup and 37 slices bread sound about right for 5 quarts stock (enough for all the guests at MK). BTW, in Medieval times bread crumbs were used to thicken soups and sauces as there was no cornstarch or rice flour.
Here's a more scaled down recipe for the dish: Pomadora and a simpler recipe on the Food Network.

Lamb Chops with Asian Pear and Kiwi Salsa with Sweet Potato Purée
Epcot Food and Wine Festival 2004 - Chef Tony Marotta (currently of Spoodles) for the National Honey Board
Yield: 4 Servings

Sweet Potato Purée
4 lbs.sweet potatoes (about 5 medium)
¾ stick unsalted butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar
1-1/2 Tablespoons Southern Comfort
½ teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
Prick sweet potatoes in several places with a fork and bake on baking sheet in middle of oven until tender, 60-75 minutes.
When potatoes are just cool enough to handle, peel and put flesh in a stainless steel bowl.
Add butter and mix until just about smooth.
Add brown sugar, Southern Comfort, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Cover tightly with foil to keep hot.

Lamb Chops
4 each rack of lamb (about 14 oz. each)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons sea salt (Fleur de Sel)
2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
Rub racks with olive oil; then sprinkle liberally with sea salt and black pepper.
In a hot sauté pan, sear all sides of the rack, browning evenly.
Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Remove racks from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
Then carve into either individual (8 1-inch thick) or double chops, depending on your taste.

Asian Pear and Kiwi Salsa
2 small Asian pears, cored, diced
3 large kiwis, peeled, diced
6 Tablespoons dried cranberries
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup chopped chives
1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 Tablespoons Orange Blossom Honey
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Combine pears, kiwis, cranberries, shallot, chives, sherry vinegar, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
Add 2 tablespoons honey (hold 1 tablespoon in reserve), mint, cilantro, and basil.
Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Let stand, tossing occasionally.
Preheat broiler.
Brush chops lightly on both sides with the remaining 1 tablespoon honey; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Broil chops until cooked to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Transfer 2 1-inch thick lamb chops to each plate.
Spoon salsa alongside and serve.

Last edited by Tatania; 04-19-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:06 AM   #2085
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
Help me understand something.......if you are not concerned with following recipes, why collect them???? I guess my advice is for those who actually are looking to follow the directions written in the recipe. I was trying to give an idea to help people who want to follow the recipe but may have an aversion to a certain ingredient..........by simply searing off some chicken and simmering it in the sauce does not impart the deep rich flavor of the Osso Buco. Osso Buco's flavor comes from the slow braise which allows the flavor from the bone to infuse the meat and sauce; the Italian term "ossobuco" references the importance of bone marrow in the dish........can't duplicate that with seared chicken. Yes, you can make the sauce and add chicken, but it is no longer Osso Buco, it is more like a Chicken Cacciatore, not Osso Buco.

I agree that certain dishes can't be altered too much if they're to have any degree of authenticity. Butchers do sell Beef and Lamb shanks for Osso Bucco and I would use them in the recipe - though even there, some foodies argue the taste is not as delicate as with the Veal.
Kind of like Wiener Schnitzel, it's really supposed to be made with veal but these days you can get it all over the place made with chicken or pork.

PS. I'm so anal about following a recipe to the letter that I've often driven miles and searched for days to get the correct, yet elusive ingredient. I also spend a lot of money on food. It's the obsessive/compulsive in me, LOL.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: