Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 845 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #1996
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage
 
piratesmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Defeating the Huns!
Posts: 8,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
Are these acceptable now? I thought we were going to stick to the actual WDW recipes on this thread.

Thanks in advance to any one who can clarify this for me.
I thought that was the intention as well from comments people made about moving the thread. However, as I work my way through the thread I've found a few from other sources...most I've found so far have been for things where either the original recipe was not available or WDW uses a commercial product. In this case, the "clone" recipe was posted by the OP and I was just commenting on it. I figured it wasn't deviating from the OP's vision for the thread if she posted it.
__________________
Deb, Proud Mom to a member of the Bronze Medal winners at the Tae Kwon-Do World Championship 2007 (DS is the redhead)
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #1997
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 458

RE: Dole Whip

I haven't gone thru the entire thread so I'm not sure if anybody has posted this before. You can buy the mix to make the real thing (just like Disney does) and make it at home. It says to use a soft serve machine and many people use the Cuisinart one, but I have a regular Cuisinart (the kind with the barrel that goes in the freezer) and it still works. The nutritional info isn't too bad either.

1/2 cup equals: 90 calories , 2.5 gm fat and 17Gm carbs. Its Cholesterol Free, Lactose Free, Gluten Free. You can buy it here -

http://www.unifiedenterprisescorp.com/products2.html
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #1998
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*
 
TheGoofyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newport, Kentucky
Posts: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
I thought that was the intention as well from comments people made about moving the thread. However, as I work my way through the thread I've found a few from other sources...most I've found so far have been for things where either the original recipe was not available or WDW uses a commercial product. In this case, the "clone" recipe was posted by the OP and I was just commenting on it. I figured it wasn't deviating from the OP's vision for the thread if she posted it.

I know that recipes from establishments on WDW properties (Swan, Dolphin, Downtown Disney) have been acceptable since the thread was started. I didn't think the copycats or clones were being done because they aren't Disney recipes. Maybe some of the others will chime in with thier thoughts. I personally don't like the clones and wouldn't want them to end up in my files. That's just me though. Others might have another opinion.
__________________
Walt Disney World Recipes (Yahoo Group)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Walt_D...World_Recipes/

TheGoofyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #1999
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*
 
TheGoofyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newport, Kentucky
Posts: 253

Tuna Salad

Lowtide Lou's, Typhoon Lagoon

White can of tuna 66 ounces of tuna
24 ounces of mayonnaise
.25 ounces of white ground pepper
1 ounce of salt
.50 ounces of granulated garlic
Mix well and Enjoy!
__________________
Walt Disney World Recipes (Yahoo Group)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Walt_D...World_Recipes/

TheGoofyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #2000
akalittleeva
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
I know that recipes from establishments on WDW properties (Swan, Dolphin, Downtown Disney) have been acceptable since the thread was started. I didn't think the copycats or clones were being done because they aren't Disney recipes. Maybe some of the others will chime in with thier thoughts. I personally don't like the clones and wouldn't want them to end up in my files. That's just me though. Others might have another opinion.
I would prefer to avoid clones as well...
akalittleeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #2001
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy
 
apostolic4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 1,084

As someone who subscribed to this thread the day it was started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
I know that recipes from establishments on WDW properties (Swan, Dolphin, Downtown Disney) have been acceptable since the thread was started. I didn't think the copycats or clones were being done because they aren't Disney recipes. Maybe some of the others will chime in with thier thoughts. I personally don't like the clones and wouldn't want them to end up in my files. That's just me though. Others might have another opinion.

...I think since the person who created the thread posted the "copycat" recipe, it is fine. lynninpa was only offering this recipe since the recipe is not available. There is no official recipe for Dole Whips because as one PP stated, it is a mix purchased and put into soft serve machines. I think the recipe posted is fine and in the nature intended by the creator of the thread (for heaven's sake, she posted it). If you do not want it in your files, don't add them........problem solved.

If people start posting non-Disney related recipes, issue could be taken. The fact is as long as the recipe is Disney related it will be fine. Technically, the recipes from many on-site restaurants are not Disney at all, but they are Disney related which makes them ok........I know we want to keep this as a Disney recipe thread, but we do not need to get too picky or too snotty just because the recipe may not fit our definition of a "Disney recipe". I would say if it is Disney related it is ok to post........if it is not Disney related, post it on another thread. JMNSHO!



__________________
It's Always Magical...Thanks Walt!
Howard D. Lanham

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #2002
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy
 
apostolic4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by akalittleeva View Post
I would prefer to avoid clones as well...

When there are multiple versions of many of these recipes floating around, who is to decide which one's are the real vs. the clone??? Often, the recipe is passed along from person to person and changes are made without being noted. Often, restaurants give out different recipes for the same dish (how this happens I will never know) and then we have multiple clones of the original, which one should be posted??? See the problems we could run into if we get too picky about what is posted.

What gets me is when people post their version of a recipe although it is already listed in the index because they are sure their version is the real one........read the index people and if it is listed discuss the differences, but don't re-list the recipe because this could be a headache for Deb (piratesmate) as she updates the index. Help a mod out!!!


__________________
It's Always Magical...Thanks Walt!
Howard D. Lanham

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #2003
Tatania
Disney Foodie
 
Tatania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
When there are multiple versions of many of these recipes floating around, who is to decide which one's are the real vs. the clone??? Often, the recipe is passed along from person to person and changes are made without being noted. Often, restaurants give out different recipes for the same dish (how this happens I will never know) and then we have multiple clones of the original, which one should be posted??? See the problems we could run into if we get too picky about what is posted.

What gets me is when people post their version of a recipe although it is already listed in the index because they are sure their version is the real one........read the index people and if it is listed discuss the differences, but don't re-list the recipe because this could be a headache for Deb (piratesmate) as she updates the index. Help a mod out!!!


That's a good comment. If I see a different version for a recipe in a Disney cookbook, I often post what the differences are because the version from the Chef (professional kitchen) and cookbook (home kitchen) are bound to be slightly different. One hopes the cookbooks have been subject to more rigorous editing - though sometimes I wonder!

For me, Disney recipe collections are akin to Disney pin collections, Disney china collections, etc. and the criterion for my collection is that is has to be original (or as original as possible) and has to have been served at least once on any Disney property or Cruise Line. So that includes the Catering recipes, Food and Wine Festival, all "official" restaurants on Disney property (including Downtown Disney, California Adventure, Swan and Dolphin, Worldwide Disneylands and DVCs).

The Dole Whip recipe is a grey area as our resident Chef stated so I'm not fussed about it but generally I'd prefer recipes that come from an authentic source and have the Kopycats on another thread.

I appreciate all the work you're doing on the index Piratesmate, because I know how very tedious it is - especially if you're going to format it by hand. I like the idea of 2 sortings because I can find either the course I'm looking for or the restaurant.
__________________
Disney Recipe Exchange

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #2004
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*
 
TheGoofyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newport, Kentucky
Posts: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
...I think since the person who created the thread posted the "copycat" recipe, it is fine. lynninpa was only offering this recipe since the recipe is not available. There is no official recipe for Dole Whips because as one PP stated, it is a mix purchased and put into soft serve machines. I think the recipe posted is fine and in the nature intended by the creator of the thread (for heaven's sake, she posted it). If you do not want it in your files, don't add them........problem solved.

If people start posting non-Disney related recipes, issue could be taken. The fact is as long as the recipe is Disney related it will be fine. Technically, the recipes from many on-site restaurants are not Disney at all, but they are Disney related which makes them ok........I know we want to keep this as a Disney recipe thread, but we do not need to get too picky or too snotty just because the recipe may not fit our definition of a "Disney recipe". I would say if it is Disney related it is ok to post........if it is not Disney related, post it on another thread. JMNSHO!




Your right, 1 clone recipe isn't an issue then there's the second and the third that have been posted in the past couple of days. I simply didn't want the ideas of the original creator of this thread compromised by a bunch of copycat recipes that aren't the real thing. No need for snotty attitudes, it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things. I was trying to look out for Lynnpa...............SJGAFYS
__________________
Walt Disney World Recipes (Yahoo Group)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Walt_D...World_Recipes/

TheGoofyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #2005
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*
 
TheGoofyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newport, Kentucky
Posts: 253

[QUOTE=apostolic4life;24306872]When there are multiple versions of many of these recipes floating around, who is to decide which one's are the real vs. the clone??? Often, the recipe is passed along from person to person and changes are made without being noted. Often, restaurants give out different recipes for the same dish (how this happens I will never know) and then we have multiple clones of the original, which one should be posted??? See the problems we could run into if we get too picky about what is posted.

What gets me is when people post their version of a recipe although it is already listed in the index because they are sure their version is the real one........read the index people and if it is listed discuss the differences, but don't re-list the recipe because this could be a headache for Deb (piratesmate) as she updates the index. Help a mod out!!!


[/QUOT

Wouldn't all of the variations of a WDW recipe that WDW sends out to people *still* be WDW authentic WDW recipes?

I don't think it's fair to assume that if a person posted a recipe already posted previously did it out of some kind of "mine is better than yours" attitude. It was likely an oversight.

__________________
Walt Disney World Recipes (Yahoo Group)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Walt_D...World_Recipes/

TheGoofyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #2006
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy
 
apostolic4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
Your right, 1 clone recipe isn't an issue then there's the second and the third that have been posted in the past couple of days. I simply didn't want the ideas of the original creator of this thread compromised by a bunch of copycat recipes that aren't the real thing. No need for snotty attitudes, it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things. I was trying to look out for Lynnpa...............SJGAFYS

Like I said, lynninpa is the person who posted the first "copycat" recipe, so I am positive her vision has not been compromised........I looked over the last 2 weeks worth of posts and the only "copycat" recipes (two in total) are for items which are commercially produced and the recipes are not available in any public forum (much like Dole Whips). I don't speak for lynninpa, but her words/posts seem to imply these types of recipes are fine.

SJGAFYS????? What???? Not following the initials on that one.



__________________
It's Always Magical...Thanks Walt!
Howard D. Lanham

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #2007
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy
 
apostolic4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
Wouldn't all of the variations of a WDW recipe that WDW sends out to people *still* be WDW authentic WDW recipes?
Well, not really........what if the waiter copied it down wrong, maybe the chef on duty fails to include an ingredient, or maybe extra ingredients are listed.......at that point it is a clone. A prime example of this would be the discussion we had a while back about French Onion Soup; after much discussion it was resolved when Tatania (I think it was her) got an updated recipe which included a missing ingredient. Without this ingredient it was just onion water, not soup........it was a mere clone of what it was supposed to be. Not everything issued by Disney is accurate. This has been seen in the poor editing in their cookbooks which many posters have pointed out in this thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
I don't think it's fair to assume that if a person posted a recipe already posted previously did it out of some kind of "mine is better than yours" attitude. It was likely an oversight.


Yes, you are correct........just me being too cynical. Sorry!!!



__________________
It's Always Magical...Thanks Walt!
Howard D. Lanham

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #2008
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 458

For me a clone or copykat recipe is one that a person tries to recreate because they do not have the original, ie the dole whip recipe and the pretzel bread recipe.

If a recipe is transcribe incorrectly and an ingredient is left out as was the case of the corn bread and onion soup then that is an error and just needs to be corrected. Have the person edit their post and make a notation. I wouldn't call that a clone, but that my 2 cents (and thats probably all its worth ).
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #2009
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage
 
piratesmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Defeating the Huns!
Posts: 8,590

OK ladies, I'm going to ask that we table this discussion before it gets ugly.

Let's just leave it that substitute recipes should only be posted in this thread if the original is unavailable and should be clearly marked so that those who wish to avoid them can easily do so.
__________________
Deb, Proud Mom to a member of the Bronze Medal winners at the Tae Kwon-Do World Championship 2007 (DS is the redhead)
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #2010
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
OK ladies, I'm going to ask that we table this discussion before it gets ugly.

Let's just leave it that substitute recipes should only be posted in this thread if the original is unavailable and should be clearly marked so that those who wish to avoid them can easily do so.

Sounds good to me!
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: