Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy
 
Buzz Litebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Buena Vista, FL
Posts: 2,135

Message redacted.
__________________
The Walt Disney Company: Trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) as DIS since 1940.
Quote:
"Don't listen to him. He's trying to lead you down 'the path of righteousness'. I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks." -Kronk, The Emperor's New Groove
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.

Last edited by Buzz Litebeer; 09-06-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #17
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,068

Wow - having used rider swap over the past 8 or so years in its various forms we have been told in no uncertain terms by many CM's that its only available on height restricted rides and if the child dosen't meet the restriction. The explanation is to avoid an extra wait when a family can not ride together due to an imposed restriciton. OTOH when a family chooses not to ride but could the rider swap isn't an option.

I have several personal experiences over many years but most recently my nephew just barely made the height requirement for TOT and we were not given the swap pass as he could ride but chose not to.

What about rides like POTC without FP - would the CM even have a rider swap pass and if so how would you use it?

Our next trip is in February and my neice will be just over 3 but is a peanut and my nephew is just over 40" but very timid. Hopefully I can benefit from your experience and the CM's will be aware that rider swap is offered on all rides.

I wonder if I could get this in writing?

TJ
__________________
TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
carmiedog
needs more kool-aid
 
carmiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,124

So I guess the resolution for rides not having printed switch passes is for the CM to give fastpasses to the party?

After my kids are all past the height restrictions, I don't see us ever needing to use a swap. If one of them is too chicken for something, we're fine with one parent sitting out. But it's nice to know that option is there for families where both parents really want to ride.

Boom, thanks for taking the time to ask and for sharing the answer with us. Oh, and I love a good debate thread...thanks for that, too.

Last edited by carmiedog; 09-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.
carmiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #19
carmiedog
needs more kool-aid
 
carmiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post

I wonder if I could get this in writing?
Sure. As soon as you get it in writing that "expired" fastpasses are generally accepted. I'm pretty sure we'll never see either in writing from Disney, probably to protect the CMs when they do they do have to make judgment calls.
carmiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
chele4kids
Earning My Ears
 
chele4kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 60

We were denied a baby swap pass at Buzz Lightyear about 2 weeks ago when we had a sleeping 22 month old in his stroller. I remembered this thread and started to argue that it was allowed, but the castmember was insistent that we were not getting a rider swap pass, and my husband told me to just forget it. I was also kicked out (and I mean, literally asked to leave!) of the Seas in Epcot that same trip (2 weeks ago) when I went into the gift shop area with my son (again, sleeping in his stroller). The CM was very rude to me, and seemed to single me out. There were almost 10 strollers in the aquarium area that I could see, yet she insisted that "they all have handicapped children with special tags, and they are allowed in." That's the only time I've actually felt like crying at Disney. I'm actually still upset about that one. I told her that they were in normal strollers just like mine, and mine had a sleeping child, she looked at me and yelled "NO!" I should have said "YES! It is a sleeping child" and gone right to guest services on that one. But instead, I left, not wanting to cause a scene. I wish I had gotten her name and reported that incident. That's the only one I've ever had with a CM.
chele4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
carmiedog
needs more kool-aid
 
carmiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele4kids View Post
We were denied a baby swap pass at Buzz Lightyear about 2 weeks ago when we had a sleeping 22 month old in his stroller. I remembered this thread and started to argue that it was allowed, but the castmember was insistent that we were not getting a rider swap pass, and my husband told me to just forget it. I was also kicked out (and I mean, literally asked to leave!) of the Seas in Epcot that same trip (2 weeks ago) when I went into the gift shop area with my son (again, sleeping in his stroller). The CM was very rude to me, and seemed to single me out. There were almost 10 strollers in the aquarium area that I could see, yet she insisted that "they all have handicapped children with special tags, and they are allowed in." That's the only time I've actually felt like crying at Disney. I'm actually still upset about that one. I told her that they were in normal strollers just like mine, and mine had a sleeping child, she looked at me and yelled "NO!" I should have said "YES! It is a sleeping child" and gone right to guest services on that one. But instead, I left, not wanting to cause a scene. I wish I had gotten her name and reported that incident. That's the only one I've ever had with a CM.
That's the rule for all the Epcot buildings, sleeping child or not, and they were pretty strict on it when I was there. I think it'd be hard for strollers to sneak in without special needs privileges. Plenty of families with special needs kids use regular strollers. I'm sorry you felt singled out. Baby carriers/slings are really helpful for touring the parks. eta: not ALL buildings - strollers are allowed at least in Innoventions
carmiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #22
Justntime
Mouseketeer
 
Justntime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 127

I am glad they have the rider switch program. Even if it is flawed it better than the alternative.

Shame on those who cheat the system. I hope they get thrown out of the park.
__________________

Disneyholic boo'd me




DW/Dnut She majored in musical theater and kicks butt in Disney trivia. Her former cast member name was Thumper.
DS 6 5 DD 3

1988 Epcot during Navy boot camp
1989 DisneyLand Hotel
1997 Offsite cant remember where
1999 Grand Floridian honeymoon in the main lodge
2000 DW and DS first trip to DisneyLand CA
2007 DisneyLand
2007 Sept 9-14 cabins with a cart and 3 kids (alot has changed since 1999)
Justntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #23
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 75,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmiedog View Post
So I guess the resolution for rides not having printed switch passes is for the CM to give fastpasses to the party?
That won't work on the 90% of attractions that don't use FP.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #24
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie
 
TheTXTaylors5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,380

Thank you boomhauer for the update. The WDW site also states the following for some of the "non-height" restriction rides:

"Guests with young children may take turns experiencing attractions. See a Cast Member for additional information."

Valid for:
It's A Small World
Peter Pan's Flight
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mad Tea Party
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Cinderella's Golden Carousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephants
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Snow White's Scary Adventure
Jungle Cruise
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Walt Disney World Railroad

So, it is documented that you can do a Rider Switch on the non-height restriction rides too. Sorry if you had a bad experience. I am sure next time will be better!
__________________
Jennifer DH (DisneyTaylors) DS13 DD11 DS8 DIScat (Minnie) DISdog (Pluto)
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #25
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTXTaylors5 View Post
Thank you boomhauer for the update. The WDW site also states the following for some of the "non-height" restriction rides:

"Guests with young children may take turns experiencing attractions. See a Cast Member for additional information."

Valid for:
It's A Small World
Peter Pan's Flight
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mad Tea Party
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Cinderella's Golden Carousel
Dumbo the Flying Elephants
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Snow White's Scary Adventure
Jungle Cruise
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Walt Disney World Railroad

So, it is documented that you can do a Rider Switch on the non-height restriction rides too. Sorry if you had a bad experience. I am sure next time will be better!
Where on the WDW website did you find this? I have seen something similar here on the Dis but that would be unofficial. If you found something on the official site I would love to see that, TIA.

TJ
__________________
TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #26
carmiedog
needs more kool-aid
 
carmiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That won't work on the 90% of attractions that don't use FP.
oh yeah...duh! Have I told you how much I worship your keen intellect and vast knowledge, Robo?

I really am curious how a CM is expected to handle it, then, given both the answer to Boomhauer and the Disney statement in the previous previous post (link to source?). I wouldn't like it, but I think it'd be a lot easier if Disney would just say no. Too many what ifs and questions.
carmiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #27
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie
 
TheTXTaylors5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,380

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Where on the WDW website did you find this? I have seen something similar here on the Dis but that would be unofficial. If you found something on the official site I would love to see that, TIA.

TJ
On the WDW site under MK, I went to each description of each Attraction for MK and found the disclaimer at the bottom of the ride description. Does that make sense? I can get wordy at time.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...=MKLandingPage
__________________
Jennifer DH (DisneyTaylors) DS13 DD11 DS8 DIScat (Minnie) DISdog (Pluto)
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #28
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.
 
disneyfav4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 14,063

I'm glad Disney's cracking down on rider switch passes, and is not just giving them to anyone. It sickens me when I see Fast Passes on E-Bay going for hundreds of dollars, or a GAC for $1,000. I'm glad that they'll be "dealt with."
__________________
disneyfav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie
 
TheTXTaylors5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,380

I was sad and then outraged to hear that people were selling Rider Swap tickets online. The people that got the Rider Swap passes and then tried to sell them online must have children. Otherwise, how did they get the passes? Shame on them! Maybe WDW should date them like they do the Fast Passes? There could be a separate machine near the ride entrance or even a handheld printer that the CM could operate to distribute the Rider Swap passes. Then again, that would bring to the attention of the novices that there is such a thing as Rider Swap. Right now it is our little secret!
__________________
Jennifer DH (DisneyTaylors) DS13 DD11 DS8 DIScat (Minnie) DISdog (Pluto)
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)


Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 09-06-2007 at 05:57 PM.
TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #30
Buzz Litebeer
Not a Flying Toy
 
Buzz Litebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Buena Vista, FL
Posts: 2,135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTXTaylors5 View Post
"Guests with young children may take turns experiencing attractions. See a Cast Member for additional information."
Well, now... this changes things considerably.

This quote, BTW, is taken directly from Disneyworld.com. It's found on each and every attraction webpage where rider swaps are allowed.

Since that's the case, I should revise my original post. In a case like this, guests should, in fact, ask the CM at the attraction what the procedure for a Rider Swap is. If the CM claims that Rider Swap is not available at the attraction, the guest should politely ask to speak to that CM's supervisor, and ask them.

You have my sincere apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
__________________
The Walt Disney Company: Trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) as DIS since 1940.
Quote:
"Don't listen to him. He's trying to lead you down 'the path of righteousness'. I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks." -Kronk, The Emperor's New Groove
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone.
Buzz Litebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.