Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Hey hotmamac:

First of all, you have come to the right place. The best info I got to prepare for my son's wish trip to WDW, our first time there, came from the Disboards. There is a ton of info here and it can seem overwhelming at first, but it is all very helpful. Just take in a little at a time.

Our wish trip was not with MaW. From reading on this board though, I have found that MaW guidelines on the trips vary from state to state. Your best asset will be your wish coordinator for specific wish granting info. Your second best asset will be these boards, for day planning.

You had a question about adding days to your WDW stay. We tried to add days to our passes from GKTW, but were told that it was not possible to add days to complimentary tickets for wish families. We could, of course, add days on our own with a new pass. Some MaW organizations allow you to stay longer, some do not. GKTW usually only allows 6 nights (check in on Sun, check out on Sat) but I believe there are exceptions. If you stay there, you can contact them directly thorugh their website...

It would be good for you to read some of the TRs about GKTW and wish trips here. There should be several new ones forthcoming as there are 3-4 families leaving in the next week for their trip.

Hope this helps a little...keep posting your questions. There are several dozen wish families who frequent here, and we have all been in your shoes in the planning stages...we would be happy to help you through the bumps...

~Elisa
5dwarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
Pez Pez
Mouseketeer

Smile MAW - GKTW Trip - Thanks for the warm welcome

Hi,
I am new around this board but wanted to thank you all for what you have posted. I have many questions that aren't really specific that your stories are answering. A special thanks to Iluvmickeymouse for all the reading material - I LOVE it!!

My son Trevor (12) has Shone's Syndrome, it is basically a series of Congenital Heart Defects. He has had 5 surgeries in his young life, the first open heart at 2 weeks. I always felt guilty about requesting any "special" services, but he needs all the "special" he can get right now His doctor recognized this and introduced us to Make-A-Wish. Trevor is expected to have a double valve transplant the first of the year and has really been more anxious about his condition since he started Middle School. Trying to convince your child that they are not "different" is harder with age. He is no longer proud of his scar a.k.a "The Zipper" and he begs to play football (no contact sports). Of course I give his positive encouragement and always boot his self esteem, but I am sure you all can understand the constant emotional struggle

I am a huge planner and very detail oriented (this is good and bad) . I have already booked a couple ADR and BBB for Princess Bianca . But, I do wonder how much spending money MAW gives you (I know this can differ) for souvenirs and for meals outside of GKTW? How much of your own money did you spend? We won't be extending our trip at all but I wonder how much I should plan on bringing. I don't see that anyone has posted any specifics, but I am still reading, so I appologize if this is a duplicate question. I found the GKTW website long ago and have it as our homepage right now. Did any of you take your own stroller, or did you use the WDW freebie? If so, could you pack a small collapsable cooler down below with waters to avoid the $2.50/each price that WDW charges?

Trevor is 12 going on 25 so we plan on being at GKTW for the major events, but I worry that he might be bored with too much time there, Bianca would love it though!! So we are planning on visiting Universal and all of the Disney parks - he is already busy customizing his maps

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
Wifey to Angel

Gobbled by VegasNative
Pez Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Pez View Post
Hi,
But, I do wonder how much spending money MAW gives you (I know this can differ) for souvenirs and for meals outside of GKTW? How much of your own money did you spend? We won't be extending our trip at all but I wonder how much I should plan on bringing. I don't see that anyone has posted any specifics, but I am still reading, so I appologize if this is a duplicate question.
I had wondered the same thing and never posted it!! If you would like, we now have a home spot for all us wish trippers. Wendy started a thread for us on the community page. Check out the link in my signiature below to get you there.

I am so glad you got my pm....and again
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #19
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Pez Pez

Pez Pez... I am sure you will find that the amount of time and energy it takes to do the theme parks will leave such a small amount of time at GKTW that you will not have the chance to be bored. There is so much to do there, ride the carousel, fish, play in the Castle of Miracles, eat ice cream, run the remote controlled boats or trains, ride the big train, play miniature golf, meet characters, ride the pony or carriage, pray in the chapel, talk with other wish families, have pizza delivered to your villa (for free), swim or play in the water park, or take a nature walk. Did I leave anything out?

Bill
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Angels

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with false guilt about accepting all the perks that come with a Wish Trip, many kids never get the chance to do a trip like this.

When we took our trip with Lysi, we also took it in honor of Lin's daughter Becki who died of Lysi's disease before she was old enough to go on a Wish Trip. She was less than 2. It seemed that her spirit was with us on that trip, enjoying it with us.

Take your trip for the sake of your precious child. In honor of what your child has gone through, and may continue to go through, and for all those who never got the chance for a trip, enjoy your trip to the full!
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #21
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I wish HotMamaC would post and let us know how things are going for her and her little one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: