Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2002, 04:45 PM   #16
docswkids
Mouseketeer

This is not an attack on the parenting of people who do not put their grade school children in boosters. I am assuming that those who dont do this, do not understand why it is a very good idea to do so. There is a wealth of information on this subject on the internet, I recommend checking out the ntsb site and the american academy of pediatrics site. They state that a child can safely sit without a booster in an automobile with a seat belt when they can sit with their back against the seat and their knees bent over the edge of the seat. A high backed booster seat is not necessary for a child over 40lbs; either a high backed seat or a booster without a back can be used. The evenflow right fit is a compact booster that uses a car's seatbelt and costs less than thirty dollars.

The reason why seatbelts are not required in school buses is that the deaths yearly in school buses (11 per year in this country) are unlikely to have been prevented by wearing a seat belt. School buses are not cars. The forces in an accident are different. School buses are the safest vehicles on the road per the ntsb.
docswkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:33 PM   #17
snowmouse
DIS Veteran

Whether or not your child needs the seat, it really irks me that a car rental company would try to force one on you. If they are going to require you to take it they need to make the costs more reasonable (6-8 dollars a day, I think). We find it very easy to bring our high backed booster along for our 5 1/2 yo dd. She sits in it on the airplane and in the rental car. Years ago, I rented seats a couple of times for my older children and found their condition (and therefore, safety) to be VERY inconsistent, not to mention they were always filthy. And once, I reserved one only to find it given to someone else on the other end, then we did have a problem.
snowmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2002, 07:42 PM   #18
docswkids
Mouseketeer

I think the rental companies should provide the seats for free or for a very nominal fee. We rented two car seat for our children on a 10 day trip last year and paid $70 plus tax, which more than paid for these seats. If the companies want relatively cheap and good pr, just hold a deposit on the seats which would be returnable upon the return of the seats. My dealings with all car rental companies has been that they are out to soak you as much as they can on the rental while providing poor service. I cannot believe Alamo does not provide boosters in Orlando, when it is the law that at least my 3yr old rides in one(he is definately too large for a car seat, which is all they have for rent).
docswkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:45 PM   #19
kntheboys
Earning My Ears

When we went 2 weeks ago, we brought the bottom portion of the Gerry booster seat (we never use the top section of it after reading on the NTSB site about boosters being safer when used with a seat belt so kids can't fall out in a rollover accident-- but that's another story!). Anyway, we have 5 boys, ages 2 months, 5 years, 6 1/2, 9 1/2 and 11. The 6 year old is about 70 pounds and just uses a regular seat belt, but my 5 year old is small, and I didn't feel comfortable using just the van's seat belt for him.

I just took the detachable shoulder strap from an old briefcase or duffel bag (has clips on each end of the strap to clip it onto the bag) and clipped it to the metal things sticking out on either side of the booster (where you normally attach the top portion of the booster). It worked fantastic! It didn't need a separate bag or anything, and we could hang it on the back of the stroller or over our shoulder when we were in the airport. It fit perfectly under the seat on the plane, too. This way we didn't have to try to manuever a high back booster or check it or anything-- it was very light, too.
kntheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:12 PM   #20
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

I went to a carseat safety check last year, and the police officer that inspected ours said that if a child can sit comfortably in the seat with his feet touching the floor, then a booster seat isn't needed. My DS#2 is 6 and still uses a booster seat and so does my DD (4).

There are times when parents use a regular carseat when the child clearly needs a booster seat. The shoulder straps should be above the child's shoulders. If you have them in the highest setting and they are below the child's shoulders, then it's time to go with a booster. From what I was told this can cause serious injuries to a child if you are in an accident.

Some of my friends use regular carseats when their child is obviously too big for it, but they felt they were safer in one than in a booster seat. One had the shoulder straps on the highest setting and they were still about 3 inches below the boy's shoulder. It's all about proper fitting and installation.

As far as laws are concerned, they have been trying to increase the age at which a child no longer requires one.

Even with these laws in effect, many parents don't restrain their kids in the car. However, if you are stopped (for whatever reason) by a police offer or highway patrol in FL and your child isn't properly restrained, you will be fined.

The car rental companies are definitely trying to c.t.a.. This is something that you be provided at no cost or for a minimal fee.

This is what I found for you~ http://www11.myflorida.com/safety/Hi...ccupantFAQ.htm

Last edited by RitaZ.; 02-18-2002 at 02:23 PM.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: