Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Wink How hot can it be at WDW in Aug? Sizzling is not hot enough of a word! Completed!

DAY 1 - We are off to Florida! The flight, Universal and checking into the Poly!

This is my very first trip report so I hope this turns out to be a good read for everyone. I’ll try my best. First of all let me introduce the cast. First, my dh he does not love Disney like I do but he does tolerate it for me and the girls. He prefers a nice relaxing vacation and as we all know Disney is not relaxing. Next is my 10 year old princess I’ll call her Ariel because that is her favorite princess. She was so excited to go this year and she actually controlled her tween attitude for a few weeks because I could use the trip as bribery! You better behave if you want to go to WDW. My younger princess who is 3 years old I will call Cindy for Cinderella. Her favorite princess. She just could not wait to meet the princesses and see the Castle. This was going to be her very first trip to the “World”. She is my little Diva. Yep a real firecracker and she keeps mom on her toes. Finally there is me “mommy” I love WDW and get just as excited as my girls. I could not wait to see my little girl’s face the first time she gets to see the castle!

I started planning for this trip back in March. I decided to go the last week of August since I had to take off that week since my little one’s daycare was closed. It would be the best time to go since she will be going to another school starting on 9/5. So I made all the plans, read up on the boards and learned so many great ideas. I planned out what day we would spend in each park and made all my ADR’s.

I made up my packing list and had all my plans organized. We had an early flight on Saturday, August 25th. We were going to be on the 7:15 flight out of Newark Liberty Airport. Our plans for that day were to arrive early, pick up a rental car and drive directly to Universal studios. We would spend the day at Universal. Well the day before our flight I decided to check out flight information. To my surprise I noticed that we no longer had seat assignments. HUH? I called up frantic and spoke with a Continental Agent she told me that our travel agent had assigned us to the emergency exit seats. This would be fine but there was one big problem. You cannot sit in these seats if you have children. She assured me that we would be able to switch with someone else and that all would be well but we needed to do this at the airport. So we decided to leave even earlier to get the seats changed. Well, we got up at 3:30 AM to shower and then get the girls ready to leave the house by 4:30 AM. Our van came right on time and off we went to the airport. We arrived there before 5:00 AM and checked in curbside. We got through security fine after my 3 yo decided to scream because she had to take her shoes off. We ran to the gate to get our seats. By this time I was getting nervous. Would we get seats or would we have to wait for another flight? That would kill our plans for Universal and we had to get my little one there to see Barney. She loves Barney.

When we get to the gate NO ONE was there working. So we decided to get a quick breakfast. Finally a person arrived. He also reassured us that he would be able to switch our seats. Well, normally it would not be an issue. Most people want these seats. BUT this was a flight to Orlando. Most people on this flight had children. I was getting more nervous. They start to board the flight and still we didn’t have seats. I was getting upset we had booked this flight back in March. The flight was full. I was ready to go and kill the travel agent we used. I will never use them again by the way. Anyhow, they continued to board the plane. All rows were already called and we were still standing by the gate desk. Finally he called us up and said he had us covered there was one problem. We were not together. There were 2 seats together and the other 2 seats were separate. I was annoyed but talked to my older daughter and asked her if she was ok sitting by herself. I should have shown them all and had my 3 year old sitting by herself. That would have taught them a lesson! But I decided to spare the poor people who would have to sit next to her. My 10 year old was ok with sitting by herself but I kept on checking on her throughout the flight. Thankfully she was sitting next to a grandma and her granddaughter. My dh the lucky dog got to sit by himself while mommy got the pleasure of sitting with my 3 year old Diva! The flight was much smoother than the pre-flight craziness and we were off to MCO. We landed on time and got off the plane to get our luggage and rental car. We needed the car for two reasons. We would be spending a day at Universal and another day at Sea World. Also, we would be driving 2.5 hours south to visit my Aunt and Uncle who live in the West Palm area.

So off we go to Universal. It was already HOT and I knew this was going to be a long tiring day. Our next installment will be our day at Univeral followed by checking in to our WDW resort the Polynesian which is our favorite resort at WDW where we had dinner reservations for 7:10 that evening at 'Ohana.
June 2009 Polynesian (without daddy but with Aunt Andrea)
Aug. 2007 - Polynesian (dd2's first trip.) Feb. 2002 - Polynesian (dd's 5th bday)Nov. 1999 - Polynesian (dd's 1st time)
prev trips - Dixie Landings & Contemporary

Next Trip - in the planning stages and too far away! :sigh:

Last edited by PrincessMomto2; 12-01-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Day 1 - Cont'd Univeral only about 4 1/2 hours to spare

Well we were off to Unriversal right after picking up our so called "FULL" sized car. So tell me when is a Toyota Corolla considered full sized? I'm use to driving a van so this car seemed pretty small to us. We barely fit in the trunk our 3 bags of luggage and the umbrella stroller.

We plugged in our GPS and we were off to see Barney at Universals. It was a very easy and quick ride there and we quickly parked the car and then headed off to begin our long trot from the parking lot to the parks. Sheesh this is a very long walk. We did it without a problem going into the park. I was wearing my crocs (maryjanes) and I thought I was all set. More on the Crocs later on but for now my feet felt great.

I had purchased both the Front of the Line Pass and our tickets online so we were able to skip the long line of people waiting to get tickets. It was around 11:00 AM when we arrived and I knew the crowds were well on their way at this point. We went directly in to the Studios since our top priority was to see that big purple dino Barney. Cindy just loves Barney and it was the main reason we wanted to spend a few hours at Universal. We only had a few hours but we would make the most of our time. When we got to Barney we had about a 20 min wait until the next show started so we let the girls play in the water play area next to Barney. They had a ball getting wet and it was so hot out that it was a great way to cool down.

My little one also went into the Barney Play area and tried a few fun things to do until the show let out then it got crowded and crazy so we left to get some bottled water. First sticker shock it cost 11 bucks for 4 bottles of water. You have got to be kidding me? This kind of annoyed me because you need water. It is essential on hot days in August and for them to take advantage of people really ticked me off. But we needed the water so I brought it.

We used our FOTL pass and ended up getting front row seats. It was great. Here is a picture of Barney on stage. The show had several of his popular songs and it actually rained and snowed inside! Baby Bop and BJ were there as well.

The show was pretty much the same as it was 8 years ago when we took my older daughter there to see him. She was two at the time. It is a very cute show and the kids really do love it. The only difference is that now you have to go outside of the show area to have a picture taken with Barney. They use to do it in the same area of the show and Barney would walk around and hug each child. My little Cindy just loved it and gave Barney a big hug. Too bad my dh missed that momment but he did get a picture of both my girls with Barney. It came out a bit dark but we did buy the picture that they took of the girls with him.

Off we went to see ET. My little Diva was not too sure about this ride but she is a tough cookie and she went on like a trooper. It was fun to see our old friend ET again. What a cute ride. Then it was my older daughters turn she wanted to go see Shrek 4-D. We got on immediately with the FOTL pass and watched the show. It was a great show and we all enjoyed it including my little Diva. The pre-show talk did take some good pokes at WDW and I found it funny. After the show, my little one wanted to have her picture taken with Shrek and so we waited in line only a few minutes to have it taken.

We then decided to head over to IOA since Ariel wanted to go on the HULK and do SpiderMan. So off we went. The sun was blazing now and it was a very long walk over to IOA. She went on the Hulk and she loved it. Next up was SpiderMan and she went on it with Daddy since my little one was fast asleep. I kept putting water on her head and face to try to keep her cool. There were not many shady area's in Universal or IOA. They both loved spiderman and I was a bit sad that I didn't get a chance to ride it. But that gives me a reason to go back next time. We didn't have too much time left because we wanted to head back to the Poly to check in and then freshen up before our dinner reservations at 'Ohana at 7:00. Before we left, I picked a family of 4 just like us and gave them or FOTL passes. Only one ride initialed our pass and that was Shrek. I figured someone should use them since we paid for them and had to leave. It did come in handy and we were able to get on rides pretty quickly. They thanked us and we left. We were going to stop by a store for water and other snack items but decided to go straight to the hotel since we were exhausted and extremely hot. The walk back to our car seemed never ending mostly due to the heat. Wow we have 90+ days here in Jersey but that Florida sun is just so much hotter. Once we got back to our car I quickly turned on the AC to cool it down. We will definitely come back next time but I would want to do it for a full day and a half. My older daughter can't wait to see the Harry Potter land. So we'll be back for sure.

We turned on our GPS and headed to the Polynesian. Disney World here we come!
Aug. 2007 - Polynesian (dd2's first trip.) Feb. 2002 - Polynesian (dd's 5th bday)Nov. 1999 - Polynesian (dd's 1st time)

Last edited by PrincessMomto2; 09-05-2007 at 03:13 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Chapter 3 Ė still Day 1 Ė Checking into the Poly and Dinner at ĎOhana

Chapter 3 Ė still Day 1 Ė Checking into the Poly and Dinner at ĎOhana

We were all so tired and exhausted from the heat. We got to the Poly pretty quickly and parked the car. I was a little bit worried since I had read some recent stories about people being unhappy with the Poly. But as soon as I walked into the GCH I was ďhomeĒ. The cool air and the running water in the lobby immediately started to relax me. My girls had to go to bathroom so I took them and my dh checked us in while we went. There was no line since it was around 5:00 pm. He got our room it was in Ratonga which is right next to the GCH. That was very convienent for us. Our room number was 3810. We found out that the 3 stands for the floor. The 8 is the building number and 10 is the room number. We got our red leiís and me and the girls headed off to our room while dh went with bell services to get our luggage. All the CMís were extremely friendly and helpful. We got a lot of alohaís! Cindy was still willing to go to the potty! You see this trip would be a test. She has been potty trained for a while but I was a bit anxious about how we would prevail while waiting on lines for rides. She did develop a phobia. She was afraid of the automatic flushing toilets. Ugh! She would refuse to go even though I knew she really had to go badly. She developed some really strong kidneys! Thank goodness some bathrooms did not have the auto flushing toilets. Did anyone elseís kids have problems with this or am I just blessed to have such an unusual little Diva? I was proud of her she did not have a single accident! I think this was helped by the fact that I always had spare clothes for her with us at all times! Kind of like having an umbrella and then it never rains!

The girls and I got to the room first and we all just loved it! Here are some pictures of our room.

My little Diva testing out the beds! They were so comfortable. We got the bed rails for my little one and they worked out great. You just have to request them at check in.

Both my girls on "their bed"

My older daughter checking out the new flat screened TV.

Here is the coffee pot area surrounded by two closets. Under the coffee pot is the fridge. Another hint. Make sure you leave the doors open a bit for ventilation in order for the fridge to cool properly.

My little Diva liked the bathroom in the room. Thank goodness!

Finally the view from our Garden view room. This is what you saw looking to the left.

This is the view looking straight ahead... You can see parts of the "quiet pool"

We all freshened up for dinner and then headed off to ĎOhana for a nice dinner. It started to rain really hard at around 5:30 Ė 6:00 but we only had to step outside for a few seconds in order to get to the GCH. Little did we know this rain was an omen of what would occur later on during our trip. It was more than just a shower it lasted for several hours. ĎOhana was packed we had to wait over 30 mins for our reservation and my dh had to go up to the podium and ask what was taking so long. We were called 2 mins after he inquired. So a lesson learned here when going to ĎOhana make sure you check back if you are not called in a reasonable amount of time. They are very busy and I think sometimes they misplace or over look check-inís. We were all starving and Mommy and Daddy needed a drink! I had a lava colada it was so yummy and daddy had a beer. Yeah he is not too adventurous when it comes to drinking! He is definitely a beer guy! We ordered chicken fingers for my 3 year old and she was happy with it. First they brought over the salad it was so yummy. I loved the dressing on it. Then came the appetizers and my favorites were the potatoes and the wings. The veggies were good too! I would have been perfectly happy with the just the appetizers but then came the skewers of meet. My favorite was the Turkey! Yum!

My little Diva got ice cream her absolute favorite and the rest of us had the delicious bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and banana foster sauce. OMG this was outstanding so with full and happy tummyís we went back to our rooms to get to bed so that we would be ready for our big day at the MK tomorrow. We had breakfast reservations at the Castle at 8:00 am. My little Diva was so looking forward to seeing Cinderella and her Castle. Daddy gave Cindy a bath and my older daughter showered while I went out to find a local grocery store to pick up snacks, bottled water and cans of diet Pepsi. I love my Pepsi! It was hard because it was still pooring outside and now it was dark. I finally found a small market in Orlando. The strange thing was that just a few minutes away it was not raining all that hard but as soon as I got back to WDW it was pooring once again. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.

My feet did not do too well today. I had a blister under one of my toes and on top of one of my toes it rubbed so hard I was bleeding. No more crocs for me for a day or so. I think the problem was the heat. What I figured out later was that wearing them with socks helped a lot. If I did that from the beginning I think I would have been fine. I ended up wearing them with the short socks that only go up to your ankle area. I didnít look fashionable but the combination worked!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
DisneyFanatic75
I wish I was at WDW right now!

I love your trip report so far. Can't wait to hear more. Your girls are adorable. Thanks for the tip on the fridge and keeping the doors open a bit.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanatic75 View Post
I love your trip report so far. Can't wait to hear more. Your girls are adorable. Thanks for the tip on the fridge and keeping the doors open a bit.

Thanks DisneyFanatic! So glad you stopped in to say hello! Glad you are enjoying the trip report so far.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Day 2 - Its off to the MK and my little one's dream comes true!

Day 2 - Aug 26th Ė Breakfast at the Castle Ė My little oneís dream comes true!

Well mommy got a wake up call from Stitch and Mickey at 6:30 am! I jumped in the shower and started to get ready. We had to be at the Castle for Breakfast by 8:25. My dh got up next and took his shower and we woke the girls up at 7:15. They both had taken their bath and shower the night before so they just had to wake up and get dressed. I had purchased a really cute Cinderella tutu costume for my little one. I didnít want to get her a long dress because I knew it would be hot. I put her Disney short set on underneath so all we had to do was take the costume off when we were done. Today would be a magical but long day. It was evening EMH at the Magic Kingdom today as well so I knew we would be there late tonight.

My little Diva, um princess was so excited. She was finally going to meet her favorite princess and see the Castle, which is all she talked about the past few months. My older daughter was looking forward to it as well since we were unable to get an ADR when we were last at WDW for her 5th birthday. She is now 10 but still has that little girl in her. During this whole trip she loved meeting the characters. I am so glad we finally got to go again before she was too old to get excited.

Ok back to the trip report. We headed off to the monorail and had to wait just a few minutes before one came. We went to the gate where there was already a large group of people waiting for the MK to open. We went to the CM and told her we had an ADR for breakfast. She asked our name and checked her list. She told us to go ahead and off we went. It was wonderful being on main street with just a few people around. My heart was racing as we headed towards Main Street. I could not wait to see my little oneís face the first time she saw the Castle. It is a moment I will never forget just like her sisterís very first visit. I started to cry when I saw her little face light up. She almost jumped out of her stroller. The Castle mommy! There is Cinderellaís castle!

We stopped to take a few pictures of in front of the castle.

We then proceeded directly to Cinderellaís Royal Table. We checked in and they immediately let us inside to meet the one and only Cinderella. My little was ready to run right to her so I had to quickly pick her up and tell her we had to wait our turn. There were a few families in front of us. She patiently waited and looked at Cinderella the whole time. She was totally in awe of meeting her favorite princess.

There was one or two little ones that started to cry when they went up to meet Cinderella but not my little one when it was our turn she just ran up to Cinderella and Cindy was wonderful she knelt down and returned the big hug that my little princess gave her. My dh got this great picture of the two of them. It came out better than the picture they took of us.

Next we went up the stairs to the restaurant and the girls got their wands. I was so happy that they gave one to my older daughter she was thrilled too. She is tall for her age and looks even older than 10 I was worried that they would not give her a wand. But they did. Both of them of course were called princess the whole time. The food was absolutely wonderful. The potatoes were super and the fried Danish delicious. We really enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was great and all the princesses were wonderful. We got to see Sleeping Beauty, Bell (in her Blue dress Ė she was excellent), Mary Poppins (she really played her part well too! Asked me if the girls were behaving and minding their manners, told them not to slouch when the picture was being taken.) and the Fairy Godmother. Here are some pics of our breakfast.

Mary Poppins

Belle

Making a Wish

The girls also participated in making a wish by waving their wands over their wishing star. It was a great breakfast and even more important a great experience.

After breakfast, we were off to Dumbo. My dh took little Cindy on Dumbo while Ariel and I went to Space Mountain to get FP. We got 4 Fastpasses using my little oneís ticket. Back we went to join my little one and dh. We went to wait for Ariel because the line was not that long. But it seems like just as we were moving up close Ariel had to take a break. But we were so close we had to wait. The girls played in the grotto area while mom waited on line. I look at the pictures and see my older one playing in the water sprinklers and I remembered when she was only 2 years old doing the same thing. It brings tears to my eyes she has grown up way too fast.

After meeting Ariel we were off to do Snow White (it was scary for my little one) but she handled it pretty well. Then we went to Pooh it is really cute but my little one was not too keen after the Snow White ride but she relaxed once the ride started. My older daughter and I then went to Space Mountain to use our FP. We both had a blast and decided to go back on immediately to use our other 2 fast passes. Well as we approached the end of the waiting area, right after the final turnstile where the FP and Regular line merge, Space Mountain broke down. So they gave us all FPís that could be used on any ride in the MK at anytime! We had to exit and my cell phone rang my dh was looking for us he and my little Diva went on the TTA. We went down to meet them.

My little Diva did not want to go on Buzz so we went back and the 4 of us road the teacups together. We then went on Goofyís Barnstormer and visited Mickeyís House and met the Mouse.

By this time it was around 1:00 and we decided to head back to the Poly and relax and go swimming in the quiet pool. It was just too hot to stay around and fight for a spot for the afternoon parade. I know bad mommy but I worried about my little Cindy being over heated and she is so fair like her daddy. So we made a decision, which proved to be right for us and headed back to the Poly.

The quiet pool is really nice and is actually deeper than the Volcano pool. My older daughter is an excellent swimmer she is on a competitive swim team. So she really enjoyed herself. My little one is learning to swim so my dh and I took turns with her in the pool. We all had a blast and had a chance to relax. It was very refreshing and much better than trying to wait in lines in the extremely hot August heat during the hottest time of the day. I had done this is on past summer time trips and also had read about it on the boards here and believe me they are right. Go early, leave by 1:00 go swimming and for a nap until around 4 or 4:30 then head back to the parks. This worked out great.

After swimming we went back to freshen up and get dressed for the MK. We had dinner reservations at Tonyís for 5:30. So we headed back to the MK at 4:00. I stopped to pick up a first time button for my little Diva. Who of course refused to wear it then but she did eventually wear it later on in the trip. Then we headed off to the do the Jungle cruise. The wait was not too bad about 20 mins.

After that was done, we did the magic carpet ride. Now remember that heavy rain we had yesterday? Well the sky started to darken as we were waiting to get on the Magic Carpets. I was worried that it would start before we made the ride. Well it held off but the dark clouds got darker. I ran over to the Aladin Store and brought 4 adult ponchos (one for the stroller) and one child sized one for Cindy. Then the rain came! Pooring down. We had to run up Main Street to get to Tonyís. We finally made it and we still got soaked because the rain was so hard but we would have been worse without the ponchos. These pics were taken after dinner when the rain slowed down and eventually stopped.

Can you find my little Diva?

Singing and Dancing in the Rain! She doesn't even know the movie!

Now I have read some poor reviews on Tonyís but I have to admit that we were pleasantly surprised. It was actually one of our best dinners in WDW. The food was great. I got the eggplant rollatini, my dh and older daughter got the white pizza and my little one got mac and cheese. The salad was great and our waiter was awesome. He was definitely the best waiter we had the whole trip. The kids ate really well and then we ordered dessert. The two girls got ice cream and my dh and I split a desert platter that was very very good. Yum! Tonyís was great for us both service and food. We were seated quickly as well. So it was a very pleasant surprise. It was packed too.

Well it was still raining when we got out and we took our time eating. But at least the rain was not as hard. We walked across to get our armbands for the EMH and headed up Main Street again. We went straight to Itís a Small World and my little one just loved it. She was singing (well trying to sing!) the song and her eyes were wide open looking all around her. This was definitely one of her favorite rides. I love it because it is such a happy ride. It is WDW to me. One of the classics. My older daughter tolerated it!

We then made our one mistake. We looked at the wait time posted for Peter Pan and it said it was 20 mins. So we decided to do it before heading back to Main Street for Wishes. We had plenty of time it was only 8:05. Well the posted time was not even close. It ended up being more like 50 mins. Yeah do the math. I was getting really nervous and at one point we almost left the line. But we held on and finally got on the ride. I never could understand why the wait for this ride is so long and in my opinion it surely was not worth the 50 mins. The line just does not move for a long time. Then I realized that they would hold up the standby line for several minutes to let the fastpass people on and it was very frustrating.

We made a mad dash to try and make it to main street but as we were heading for the teacups to get through we stopped by a roped off area right by Dumbo. The CM there said that she loved the fireworks from here so we decided to just park the carriage and watch them from there. Wishes is just awesome. I loved it. The last time I was at WDW was 5 years ago and Wishes is so much better than the show they had back then all I can say is WOW! My little Diva is not so tough when it comes to fireworks. She is afraid of the noise and I had to take her out of her stroller and hold her through the fireworks. They are much louder back by Dumbo but she made it through them. Since we were back where we were Ariel wanted to go on the race cars so my dh took her there. I took my little Diva on Dumbo again since I didnít get to go the first time with her. While we were waiting on line we saw Minnie and Mickey riding Dumbo! How fun is that? By the time we rode the ride and headed towards Cindyís Carrousel, my dh and older daughter had returned and we all went on the carrousel together. We then headed off to see Mickeyís Philharmagic and it was fantastic. It is definitely the best 3-D or 4-D show we saw. We all loved it. My little one was reaching out trying to grab some of the characters. By the time we got out it was getting late and we had an early breakfast with Donald at 8:00 am at AK the next morning. So we decided to leave the park for the monorail at about 10:30. My little one was very tired and ready for bed and mommyís feet were ready to relax as well. It was a very magical day and one I will never forget. Weíll be back here on Thursday. I was home at WDW and loving every minute!

We stopped at Captain Jacks at the Poly for some Mickey Ice Cream bars and went up to the room to unwind and get to bed.

Tomorrow we head off to Animal Kingdom!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
mymainmouse
Mouseketeer

Great trip report so far! I am glad to hear that you liked Tony's. We have a reservation for Tony's on our upcoming trip. I have heard some mixed reviews for it and am glad to hear when someone likes it.
The picture of Cindy with Cinderella is adorable.
Great job!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your TR The Poly is a great
resort. I agree about the florida summer, it is much
hotter then here in nj. The princess breakfast looked
delish!! Your pics are great also! Can't wait to hear
more!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymainmouse View Post
Great trip report so far! I am glad to hear that you liked Tony's. We have a reservation for Tony's on our upcoming trip. I have heard some mixed reviews for it and am glad to hear when someone likes it.
The picture of Cindy with Cinderella is adorable.
Great job!
I felt the exact same way but we were very pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed it and I think you will too. The place was packed so it can't be as bad as some of the reivews I have read. I think Italian is very difficult because everyone has their own "idea" of what Italian should be. I am 1/2 Italian and grew up thinking Italian was the way my Nanna use to cook it or my Mom. No Italian cooking is ever as good as that! But Tony's was great and we enjoyed ourselves. Everyone cleaned their plates including my little Diva! That doesn't happen too often lately. Oh the torrid Threes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonW View Post
Really enjoying your TR The Poly is a great
resort. I agree about the florida summer, it is much
hotter then here in nj. The princess breakfast looked
delish!! Your pics are great also! Can't wait to hear
more!
Hi Sharon, glad you stopped by and I am glad you are enjoying the trip report. You sure said it 92 and humind in NJ is one thing BUT 92 and Humid in Florida OH MY! Yes taking the breaks is really the best thing to do.

Breakfast at the CRT was really great. The food was very good. Too bad my family would not let me take pics of the food! LOL they thought that was too uncool! But I was able to get some of the food in that pic for you to see.

I'll try and get another installment up tonight!

MaryAnn

Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Day 3 - Breakfast with Donald and Animal Kingdom! ROAR!

Day 3 August 27th

Well today Stitch woke me up at 6:00 AM! Ugh I thought I was on vacation! I get up and take my shower. I do have one complaint about the Poly. Why in the world are the showerheads so low? I have to do all kinds of twisting and turning and bending just to rinse my hair. I am 5ft 10 in and I get a work out just trying to rinse the shampoo out of my hair! Do all resorts have low showerheads?

Once I finish with my Olympic routine! My dh gets up to take his shower. Once he is out I wake up my two princesses. They both woke up pretty easily. We had a date today with Donald for breakfast at 8:00 am. But before we can head out of the door I need to comb everyoneís hair. Now as you have seen in the pictures my older Daughter has naturally curly hair. Unless you have curly hair yourself or you have a child with curly hair you have no idea how hard it is to brush. I really feel for her because it is tough. I have to either wet it with water or use a spray in conditioner. The conditioner works best since it helps with the frizz although with the Florida heat all our hair did was get frizzy. Of course if I hit a tangle she accuses me of doing it on purpose. Ugh! I try my best to limit the pulling but sometimes you just canít avoid it. She is not like her mom because she has a really low tolerance for pain. We both survive.

Once she was done it was my little oneís turn. Now she decided that she was going to be ďthreeĒ. She was not cooperating so combing her hair and putting it in a ponytail was an adventure. She was acting like a typical uncooperative 3 year old twisting and turning and voicing her opinion. But Mom still got her hair up! I pride myself in being able to make a ponytail on the move!

Whew, finally we head out to the car. We decided to drive to AK. I was hoping to maybe stop by the AKL and check it out. Maybe even pick up some Zebra Domes. Driving to AK was a decision we would regret later on during the day. We got there without a problem. For some strange reason they like to part cars far away the earlier you get there. I always thought that if you got there early you parked closer to the entrance well not today! We parked the car and the long walk to the entrance was not a problem in the morning. We get into the park and head over to Dinoland. We check into the restaurant and they try to take that silly picture that they want you to buy for 30+ dollars. It might be fine if you go to one character meal but we got to a few and would be broke if we got them. Anyhow we all go up to pose and my little Diva was still not in a cooperative mood. She would not look at the camera. The good thing was that it made it easy for me to refuse the pictures. I was not about to force her I pick my battles and this was not one of them. I didnít even want the silly picture.

They call us in pretty quickly and we are seated. Our CM tells us how the characters come in and approximately when they will start. He then takes our drink order and asks us to go and get our food. They had lots of hot food that included some different items like breakfast pizza and quiche. Other items were chocolate chip pancakes, plain pancakes, French toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, two types of hash browns and some other items I canít remember. They had a whole separate table of cold items. Fruit, yougurt, breakfast breads, cereal and that kind of stuff. So we get our food and sit down and on cue my little Diva announces that she has to go potty. She does this all the time when we go out to eat. It is like she has some kind of survey going on to check out all the different rest rooms! But since she is only 3 I canít ignore her (just in case) so off to the bathroom we go. We get back to the table and the characters start coming around. We got to see Donald, Mickey, Pluto and Goofy. The character interaction was ok. The girls were happy. The CMís their do some pretty funny antics and I wonít spoil it for you but they were lots of fun. All in all it was positive experience and I am glad we tried it.

Here's Pluto

Here's Goofy...

In this picture it looks like my little Diva is giving Donald HER Autograph!

After breakfast my dh takes Cindy and was going to put her on some rides in DinoLand while Ariel and I go and get FPís for EE. We get back and meet up with my Dh and Cindy. Ariel wanted to go on Dinosaur and the standby line was only 10 mins. So I went on with her my dh stayed with our little Diva.

We loved the ride and since it was our first time on it we were on pins and needles not knowing when a big dinosaur would jump out from the pitch-black darkness at us. It was fun. Great ride.

It was already extremely hot and AK is always one of the hottest parks to begin with I donít know why but it is. So we were ready to go and get wet. Off to Kali we go. They asked Diva to go by the measuring stick. She clonks her head and the CM says sheís ok! They put on a band so that the CMís up front know to put her in the special seat on the raft. The wait time was 15 mins. We achieved our goal and got soaking wet. Everyone enjoyed the ride.

Next we checked the times for the Nemo show. We would try to make the second show I think it was around 1ish. We walk by Flights of Wonder and the show is just starting. There were plenty of seats. We really enjoyed this show! The birds are just absolutely beautiful. They flew inches above our heads. I am also a very big Eagle fan. To get to see one up close was just awesome. They are huge, beautiful and their talons are very impressive. Donít want to mess with one of them. They announced at the show that the Eagle is no longer on the endangered species list! YAY!!

Next up was EE! My dh went on with Ariel first. My little Diva decided to take a nap. Great timing! So I sat on one of rocks outside the store by the ride exit and managed to get a shady spot for her while she slept. They definitely need more benches in AK. Ariel was so excited about EE she has always been my little daredevil. For as long as I could remember she wanted to go on the bigger and faster rides. She road RNR at the ripe old age of 5 and loved it. I remember one trip we took with my brother and his family to Six Flags. My dd was about 5, my niece was 7 and my nephew was 13 at the time. We figured that my dd and my niece would go on rides together. Well it turns out that my dd was ride partners with my nephew! LOL! Anyhow it is now my turn to go on with Ariel. I loved it! It is definitely one of my new favorite rides. It was awesome!

Off we went to get FP tickets for the safari. The return time wasnít until 4:03. Ugh! Now AK is too far for us to go back for our afternoon break and it closes early. So it was starting to get really HOT but it was time for Nemo so we went to the show. Well, we got to sit all the way in the back on the bleachers which are extremely uncomfortable. But hey at least we were in air conditioning! I was not impressed with the show but maybe it was because we were so far back. My little one watched for a while but then she got bored and was squirmy and kicking me on my legs. OUCH! She wasnít purposely kicking it was just her squirming that caused it. I am sorry we didnít go to the Lion King show but we thought since 3 of us already saw the Lion King we would try the new show.

By this time my two girls were complaining about being hungry so we headed off to the Flame Tree BBQ. On the way there we got the pleasure of seeing Devine! She was awesome and not only did we see her in the trees but we also got to see her walking! She was great on the stilts pretty cool to see. On guy yelled out ďSheís going to eat us!Ē

Divineís face was beautiful even with all that greenish makeup on she is very pretty.

Here is a pic of her walking! Very cool to see her doing this!

After being entertained by Devine we got to the Flame Tree BBQ and we picked up two kids lunches. They had hot dogs, carrot sticks and grapes. My dh and I just had something to drink.

We then went to see Itís Tough to be a bug. There was no line really we just went into the pre-show area and waited there for about 15 mins. My little Diva did not wear her 4D glasses in this one because it scared her a little bit. But the rest of us enjoyed the show.

When we got out it was around 3:00. We discussed whether or not we should stay for the Sarfari Fast Pass but we figured that it was so HOT and late in the day that the animals probably would not be out and active and we decided to head back to the Poly to shower and get ready for the 7:15 show. We let the girls pick out one item each in one of the stores and we headed for the exit.

Well that walk that was tolerable early in the morning now seemed like a long trek in the dessert. Walking through the parking lot was horrid. Ariel was pulling her tween act and whining the whole way back. The asphalt and concrete just seemed to magnify the heat. My dh mentioned to another couple also walking back that he wondered if they had search parties to pick up the people who never made it back to their cars! We all laughed (barely). Finally we made it to the car and it was roasting. We had to poor water over the metal parts of Divaís car seat because if they had touched her skin it would have burned her. I turned on the car and put the AC on full blast to cool down the car. Next time we will take the Disney Bus. They are closer and the AC is on and they are cool.

At this point we were so tired mostly from the heat that the visit to the AKL was not to be. Yep you always have to be ready to change your plans. So no Zebra Domes for us.
We got back to the Poly around 4 pm. I stopped by the desk to pick up our HDDR tickets and then we all collapsed on the beds!

We all took showers (Diva had her bath she hates showers) and put on clean clothes and we just hung out in the room and had some snacks that I had picked up the first night. I looked out the window at around 5 and saw some mean looking dark clouds I was praying that it wouldnít rain because we had take a boat over to FW and I had heard they donít run in thunderstorms. Will we make it to the HDDR?

You'll find out in the next installment so stay turned.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
KimAshton
DIS Veteran

subscribing cannot wait to read more.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAshton View Post
subscribing cannot wait to read more.
Welcome Kim! Glad you are enjoying the TR. I hope to have an installment up tomorrow night. Today was tough it was "Back to School Night" at Ariel's school. I hope to have more time tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

Day 3 Part 2 - Finally the Hoop Dee Doo Review!

Now where were we? Oh yeah we had all cleaned up so we were real purty but those dark clouds were approaching. They told us to be there 30 mins before the show which started at 7:15. We had a few more minutes to relax and I watched those clouds. You could see lightning too! But we lucked out this time because the storms skipped over us! We left the Poly at about 6:00 so that would give us plenty of time to get there. We took the Monorail to the MK. On the way there the monorail stopped due to traffic. Ok we still had plenty of time I was not worried at all. We get to the MK and go to the boat dock for the WL/FW/CR boat. The line was long waiting for the next boat! Someone said that one of the big boats was broken and they had to use a small boat in its place. Now I started to worry. One boat comes and goes and we are still waiting in a long line. The next boat was a bigger one and we were able to get on it. Finally the boat starts moving and the time is getting later. They ask if anyone is going to the WL. Some people raise their hands and they decide to go there first. Time is now ticking away and Iím getting nervous. I didnít want to miss the beginning of the show. I have wanted to go to the HDDR for years but was never able to get an ADR. I was so looking forward to it. It was past 6:45. We get to the WL and there was a ton of people in line waiting for the boat. A few people got off and some of the long line was able to get on the boat. Finally we start heading to FW.

We reached there at 7:00. Whew! Next we get off the boat and head off the dock. Of course little Diva did not want to walk. So Daddy and I took turns carrying her. Finally we reach the venue and check in they give us our table number. It was 33 or 31 I canít remember. I just know it was 30 something. I thought oh no I guess we are near the back. Next they try to take a picture. Yep another one of those pictures they take and charge you 30+ dollars. Diva would not cooperate. She was in no mood so we didnít even take this one! So I didnít have to say no at all this time. Way to go Diva!

Then we had to stand on another line to wait for the doors to open. Yay we made it! So after not having to worry about making it on time anymore I started to worry about Cindy. I hoped the show would interest her enough so we could all enjoy it. Yep Iím a mom I canít help but think too much about all these things. It is part of being a mom. My dh thinks Iím crazy to worry so much. I think it is my duty of being a mom.

Before you know it the doors open and we have to give them our little piece of paper with the table number on it. We follow the CM and she kept walking towards the front. Yippee our table was in the middle and it was the third table from the stage what a great table.

Our drinks are brought to us I tried the sangria so did my dh. Bleech! I should have listened to other trip reports it was pretty bad neither one of us finished it. My dh got beer and I got a diet coke! Guess what happens next? You got it my little Diva wants to go potty! UGH! So off we go to help her fill out her survey! Canít miss a good potty check now can we? Ok we come back and sit down and the show starts! We had an absolute great time. The show was awesome! My dh loved it too and he was a skeptic coming over. The actors and actresses are great! They are so funny and we had an blast. Even Cindy loved the show it kept her attention and she got into it! The food was good although I didnít care for the ribs but the chicken was good, so were the mashed potatoes and the cowboy beans! The strawberry shortcake was delicious too! To everyone who is going to the HDDR you are going to have a great time. To those of you thinking about going make those ADRís it is such a fun night. The performers do go up on the second level and interact with people throughout the hall. So you donít feel left out no matter where you sit. This definitely was a great time and we all gave it a big fat thumbs up! Even my 3-year-old Diva loved it and she is a tough critic! All in all it was a very enjoyable evening.

Here are two pictures from that night we actually took videos of most of the show. Iím not sure how to edit the video (if you even can) or I would take some pics and post them of the show but most of you have seen pics of the performers. So here are some pics of our family.

Just look at these happy faces! You canít help but smile at the HDDR. It is a fun time for everyone.

After the show we head back to the boat dock. Now it is after 9:00. I was dreading going back to the MK at closing to pick up the monorail. There was a line waiting for the boat back to the MK. There was a boat at the dock with a female captain. She announces that her smaller boat was going to the CR! Well we decide to hop on that boat and then catch the monorail from the Contemporary. We get on the boat and leave in minutes. The girls got to see the CR and my dh too. They have never been inside of it. Ariel thought it was very cool and I showed them Chef Mickeyís. We board the monorail and head back to the Poly. It was a great day and tomorrow we are heading to Epcot after some Tonga toast for breakfast at Kona Cafe. So back to the hotel and the girls went to sleep very quickly. Mom and dad do too!

What a magical day we had and everyone went to sleep smiling!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
PrincessMomto2
Mouseketeer

I was able to figure out how to take an image from the video. Here is the HDDR cast. This shows you how close our table was to the stage.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
mymainmouse
Mouseketeer

Great update! The part about the potty survey cracked me up. I believe my 5 yr. old is a member of the same potty checking club. We have been to every potty in every restuarant we have ever been to. I think it is some sort of instinct they have that if mom is looking like she might eat or drink something it sets off the "I have to go potty" signal in their brains.
Great pictures too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: