Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

How would you get around this? Kitchen related...

Ok, so we found a house that I really like, but it is sorely lacking in the counter space department. So...would you move on? get a rolling cart and use it as an island? price doing a small counter addition that would make an L shaped area? live with it and use the breakfast table? something else?
WDWAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

Bump!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWAurora View Post
Ok, so we found a house that I really like, but it is sorely lacking in the counter space department. So...would you move on? get a rolling cart and use it as an island? price doing a small counter addition that would make an L shaped area? live with it and use the breakfast table? something else?
If you really like the house, and this is your only complaint, I'd have the counter extended as you said (if that will work). It may not be "cheap", but I wouldn't think it would be a huge expense. You wouldn't have to make it into cabinets, you could turn it into a bar (to cut down on the price). The only problem that I see might be trying to match the counter top.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Beth76
DIS Veteran

How much could you add to your kitchen space-wise? My kitchen storage is very small too, but we do have room to add an island and a wall of cabinets in the breakfast room. We just don't have the budget right now.

When we got our new kitchen table, instead of throwing away the old one, I put it in the space where we could put an island. It looks tacky, but it gives me some extra counter space, cheaply. No extra storage though, except for just leaving crap on the table. But truly, I can't live with the kitchen the way it is now. We either need to move or remodel the kitchen. We'll probably move but not solely for the kitchen.

If you think you can add on later (and afford it), I think you could live with it for awhile. They make some cute islands that you can buy too that aren't the full-sized. I've seen some cute ones at Bed Bath and Beyond before, but looking at their site just now, I didn't see any.
Beth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
reeeoga
No I only Et one. Maybe tonight I'll Et 2
I don't wear Foil or TuTu's
I'm not here to help!

Buy the house. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a few of their premade cabinets. Close in the side and back and put a nice countertop on it. Use as an Island. Total cost about $600.

Or buy the house and hire someone to remodel the chitchen total cost about $14,000.
reeeoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
WDWAurora

I'm trying to figure out how to explain it, simply. It's a galley style, but the walk way is much wider than a traditional galley. An immobile island wouldn't work due to opening the oven, but would work if it could roll out of the way for that. I think we could add on like a 4 ft bar. The countertop matching shouldn't be horrible because it's just plain white counter top. Not like granite or a color or anything. I would consider adding cabinets in the breakfast area depending on cost. The kitchen is in good shape overall, so I wouldn't want to redo it. We don't have money to put out right now on big changes. We're looking for move-in-ready homes because we just don't have the time or money to redo the whole kitchen like the people on HGTV would do.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
claudia
Thyroid Cancer Survivor!!

A kitchen is a HUGE part of what makes up a house....I would keep looking.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

The Kitchen is the #1 thing in a house for me. If I don't love the kitchen, or I can't remodel the kitchen so I love it I won't even look at the rest of the house. It took us 5 years to find a house we loved. Most of the time it was the kitchen that was the problem.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Same here....kitchen is vital to me. So I would pass.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Tazicket
I routinely walk into 1 certain wall at home
Loved by a Pirate Penguin
ACK! I wouldn't ever eat a Mystery Peep!! That's crazy!

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how to explain it, simply. It's a galley style, but the walk way is much wider than a traditional galley. An immobile island wouldn't work due to opening the oven, but would work if it could roll out of the way for that. I think we could add on like a 4 ft bar. The countertop matching shouldn't be horrible because it's just plain white counter top. Not like granite or a color or anything. I would consider adding cabinets in the breakfast area depending on cost. The kitchen is in good shape overall, so I wouldn't want to redo it. We don't have money to put out right now on big changes. We're looking for move-in-ready homes because we just don't have the time or money to redo the whole kitchen like the people on HGTV would do.
We have a galley style kitchen (I think) that didn't have a dishwasher or quite enough counter space. So...we added a premade 36"cabinet from Lowes, the dishwasher, and a matching countertop (lucked out - the counter top was from Home Depot, so we were able to match it perfectly) along an empty wall. As a consqeuence, there isn't quite as much space as I would prefer, but it's definitely livable until we either remodel or move. If you want, I can take some pics when I get home and PM you a before/after. Just let me know
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
WDWAurora

Sure, I'd love to see pics!!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
Tazicket
I routinely walk into 1 certain wall at home
Loved by a Pirate Penguin
ACK! I wouldn't ever eat a Mystery Peep!! That's crazy!

Quote:
Sure, I'd love to see pics!!
K - I'll get them to you as soon as I can.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
FinallyBoughtDVC
That reminds me of the first time I shaved my legs!
The idea of a pin near the girls just kind of frightens me

I am all about the kitchen. So, for me, I would move on. If I knew I could redo the kitchen to my liking and it wouldn't kill our budget, I would consider that if the rest of the house totally "wowed" me. Otherwise - I'd move on.
FinallyBoughtDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

We have some friends that were in your situation. The LOVED their house/neighborhood but as their kids got older the kitchen got smaller. They ended up putting a rounded end to the one side of the countertop that extends out some from the original edge but not much. It added seating for 5 and more open countertop space. They didn't add any cabinets under that but you could.

Basically the countertop is shaped like a "P". The long part ends in a rounded area. Hopefully I am making this easy to understand. I don't have a picture. I think in the end it took up a foot of additional floor space but since it is on the end it doesn't get in the way.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Beth76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
An immobile island wouldn't work due to opening the oven, but would work if it could roll out of the way for that.
I don't see that as a viable option. If you have to move something everytime you need to use the oven, that would be a deal breaker for me. I say keep looking.
Beth76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: