Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1336
klmall
DIS Veteran
 
klmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 137,408

Hi all!

I just returned late Friday night (June 4 - June 8) from 4 nights at ASSports and overall I had a great stay!

The buses start running at 6:45 am. I used one to get to my early ADR at the MK and I was literally the 3rd person at the gate that morning (approximately 7:15 am) and had to wait forever for them to let anyone in. And I found the buses to be absolutely wonderful; never waited even 10 minutes for a bus; such an improvement from our experiences at the Wilderness Lodge.

My room was upgraded from a regular to preferred without my asking. I stayed in Surfs Up "6" facing the pool in 6302 but the pool noise was never a problem. I loved being so close to the food court and buses and anything else I needed.

My only issue was that I had nowhere to check my carry-on luggage at 6:45 in the morning on my last day since that desk doesn't open until 7:00 am. Had I known better I would have just waited until later, checked my carry-on in at 7:00 am and then caught a later bus. Instead I just used the lockers at the MK and Epcot for my backpack with laptop and gifts I bought.

My room was nice and clean although the last night I found a long tubular, shaped balloon under the edge of one of the beds. How could Mousekeeping miss that?

I did try a meal at the food court and it was not good (hot dog) and none of the food offerings looked appetizing at all. Actually I ended up eating snack items I had ordered from Garden Grocer or meals at the parks.

And the only groups I saw at the ASSports were high school grad groups (one of which was very rude on the bus coming back from the AK) and neither seemed to have any chaperones visible at any time during the four days.

I would definitely go back to ASSPorts but skip the food again.
__________________
Check out my Disney pics here!




~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by klmall; 06-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #1337
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,826

thx for coming here to tell us about your trip.


some like the food court offerings and some don't.


i like most of the food there.
if i'm really hungry, any food will do for me.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #1338
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando
 
Buckimion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 855

When you got your upgrade was it random pixie dust or did they say that most of the remaining room were full? (If they said anything)

I paid for preferred but I have to call them back as they misunderstood my request for a tub seat and put me down for a full handicapped accessible king room...which I do not want!
__________________
Me DW
Buckimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #1339
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,826

i don't know if all the hc rooms are like the one i had 4 years ago.

the hc room i was assigned had a king bed and a roll in shower.

i hated the bathroom that way.
the floor would get wet to near the toilet area.



call and make sure they note you want a bench tub and not a roll in shower.

__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #1340
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,163

We just got back Saturday from a 6 night stay at ASSp. We had a great experience!! I had done online check in as well as had my TA request top floor, Hoops Hotel, and was disappointed to learn when we got there that we had been assigned 2nd floor in the tennis section. After asking nicely about switching, we got top floor in the football section (Hoops was full for our length of stay). We LOVED our location! We were on the back side of building 7, facing trees. It was so quiet, but we were also right in between both pools and a very short walk to the main building and bus stop. Plus my boys loved the field to run around on.

We had a good experience with the buses. We waited quite a while our first night for the DTD bus, and then it took over 30 minutes to get there. It only took 15-20 or so to get back, so I don't know what route he took! Overall we never waited longer than 10 minutes or so the rest of the week when leaving our hotel, and getting on and off first was very nice. We did have to wait when leaving parks a few times, sometimes for what felt like quite a while.

We loved the food court! We found several food items that we really enjoyed, including the chicken quesadilla, London broil, and salmon salad. We didn't love the chicken penne alfredo (a little bland). But overall, we enjoyed our meals there a lot. For dessert we almost always got the ice cream cookie sandwich. They are HUGE and so yummy! Our family of 5 was able to split 2 comfortably. On our last night we had 5 QS credits and 9 snack credits remaining. We got 5 continental combos, with a pastry, piece of fruit, and bottled drink and bagged it up to eat at the airport in the morning. For the snacks, the nice cashier let us get almost anything, including the family sized bags of Goofy's candy treats and popcorn (this did not have the DDP logo next to it but he said it was okay). It's been fun to enjoy those things now that we're home!

Our room was clean, although we only got one towel animal the whole stay. Not a big deal. We also loved the activities they offered. When it was nice, they had things at poolside (dance parties, trivia contests). It rained 4 of our 5 evenings, so they moved that inside to the food court and we played while eating (and won-twice!).

Overall, we had a great stay there, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1341
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckimion View Post
When you got your upgrade was it random pixie dust or did they say that most of the remaining room were full? (If they said anything)

I paid for preferred but I have to call them back as they misunderstood my request for a tub seat and put me down for a full handicapped accessible king room...which I do not want!
I wonder if they don't have seperate tub seats and instead need to assign the tubs that have them installed and foldable on the wall?
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #1342
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando
 
Buckimion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 855

The DISabilities forum confirmed posted info that tub seats can be had. Although I may find it simpler to pack my own folding unit as we are driving on to another week of vacation afterwards.
__________________
Me DW

Last edited by Buckimion; 06-11-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Buckimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #1343
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
We just got back Saturday from a 6 night stay at ASSp. We had a great experience!! I had done online check in as well as had my TA request top floor, Hoops Hotel, and was disappointed to learn when we got there that we had been assigned 2nd floor in the tennis section. After asking nicely about switching, we got top floor in the football section (Hoops was full for our length of stay). We LOVED our location! We were on the back side of building 7, facing trees. It was so quiet, but we were also right in between both pools and a very short walk to the main building and bus stop. Plus my boys loved the field to run around on.

We had a good experience with the buses. We waited quite a while our first night for the DTD bus, and then it took over 30 minutes to get there. It only took 15-20 or so to get back, so I don't know what route he took! Overall we never waited longer than 10 minutes or so the rest of the week when leaving our hotel, and getting on and off first was very nice. We did have to wait when leaving parks a few times, sometimes for what felt like quite a while.

We loved the food court! We found several food items that we really enjoyed, including the chicken quesadilla, London broil, and salmon salad. We didn't love the chicken penne alfredo (a little bland). But overall, we enjoyed our meals there a lot. For dessert we almost always got the ice cream cookie sandwich. They are HUGE and so yummy! Our family of 5 was able to split 2 comfortably. On our last night we had 5 QS credits and 9 snack credits remaining. We got 5 continental combos, with a pastry, piece of fruit, and bottled drink and bagged it up to eat at the airport in the morning. For the snacks, the nice cashier let us get almost anything, including the family sized bags of Goofy's candy treats and popcorn (this did not have the DDP logo next to it but he said it was okay). It's been fun to enjoy those things now that we're home!

Our room was clean, although we only got one towel animal the whole stay. Not a big deal. We also loved the activities they offered. When it was nice, they had things at poolside (dance parties, trivia contests). It rained 4 of our 5 evenings, so they moved that inside to the food court and we played while eating (and won-twice!).

Overall, we had a great stay there, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again
Thanks for sharing, it sounds like you had a great time. I don't think there is a bad building at ASSP more like areas that people tend to be louder at like the pool or on the football field.

That DTD bus is the only one I don't like at all from the All Stars. I noticed a few years ago that when going to DTD on the All Star bus they started going the long way around the back side of DTD and it takes you out of the way. Coming home they go the straight down the road and avoid going the long way because they have to stop at the pleasure island stop and TL on the way back.

I am a picky eater and found I liked about two or three things on the menu at ASSP like you did. Then again I am usually in the parks for meals so it worked out for me.

I think in all my stays at ASSp the only towel animal we ever got was on our first day of our last stay one was left on the window sill. It is up to the maids to learn how to make them so they probably found putting the one in the window for new stays works best for them. Then again that might be the way the maids in just the football building choose to do it?
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #1344
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckimion View Post
The DISabilities forum confirmed posted info that tub seats can be had. Although I may find it simpler to pack my own folding unit as we are driving on to another week of vacation afterwards.
Well at least you know they have them so that's good. Maybe it would be better to ask for a regular room and then ask at check in for the tub chair then? Then again if you have room for your own that sounds like the least troublesome route.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1345
Gma570
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36

I have a question

I have been to Disney several times but on this trip I'm taking my granddaughter for her first time. When I made the reservation for ASSR they asked me if it was her first time and said they would make a note of that in our reservation.

I'm curious. Will she get some surprise when we check in? A balloon or something. Just curious.

Thanks

Going in 12 days...
Gma570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #1346
autoracepr989
Mouseketeer
 
autoracepr989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma570 View Post
I have been to Disney several times but on this trip I'm taking my granddaughter for her first time. When I made the reservation for ASSR they asked me if it was her first time and said they would make a note of that in our reservation.

I'm curious. Will she get some surprise when we check in? A balloon or something. Just curious.

Thanks

Going in 12 days...
From what you said I would be surprised if there is not a First Visit button upon check in for your granddaughter. They may or may not have other pixie dust for you both to experience as well. Enjoy your trip and hope this helps for you
autoracepr989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #1347
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,163

I forgot to mention (but the PP's question reminded me) that on check-in, my boys were each given a balloon (a really cute one) and my DD was given a real flower. Such a cute touch and a great first impression! They were doing it for all of the kids, and I noticed on our last night that they had switched to balloon swords and some other things that I couldn't see what they were. We had noted on our reservation that it was our anniversary, and they had our pins already in our packet, so I'm sure she'll have a button waiting
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #1348
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,795

When we were there there were no gifts at check in but later in the week they had helium baloons all over the cafeteria and all you had to do was ask for one and they would give you one.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #1349
Gma570
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36

Thank you. We're excited for her. Heck...I'm excited for me...I love Disney... ha ha
Gma570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #1350
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!
 
summerrluvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 8,949

Are there now fridges in all of the Sports rooms? I thought I read that somewhere, but can't find it now. The price difference in Sports and POP is quite a bit ($163 for 8 nights), so toying with switching.
summerrluvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: