Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #361
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies
 
harleyquinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 9,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2DD's View Post
Thanks for 'digging' out that info. So there not staying at the Assp then. I have read several post that they they are and it was giving me nightmares Can you imagin all them kids in the pool and on the buses! Do they go to the parks after there games?
I see that will also be at the assp around the same dates
I'm not ready for the heat and crowds yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Ninja View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the document on the page you linked is for a meeting being held in November at the Omni. If you dig deeper (click "Baseball" on the horizontal menu bar at the top of that page), it will bring you to this page:
http://www.usssa.com/sports/home.asp?Sport=11
which contains a link to this document about the elite tournament:
http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-gen...avelCenter.pdf

In that document, it lists "recommended hotels." The Disney All-Star Resorts are at the top of the list.

I'm going to go dread my August 4-7 stay at All-Star Sports now.
I was going to point that out to the other poster, but you beat me to it.

I was happy that 1: they are not staying there as a whole--it's just the first recommended resort.
2. Based on the fact that when I searched today, there is still availability for the resort the week I will be there, even with the new code, whereas there is none the week before.

I think there will be little packs of them here and there, but not a huge mass. There is a big difference from it being the only resort to just being an option.

If not, we'll just ask to move or more likely, deal with it. We don't plan to be at the resort very much.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #362
M2DD's
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
I was going to point that out to the other poster, but you beat me to it.

I was happy that 1: they are not staying there as a whole--it's just the first recommended resort.
2. Based on the fact that when I searched today, there is still availability for the resort the week I will be there, even with the new code, whereas there is none the week before.

I think there will be little packs of them here and there, but not a huge mass. There is a big difference from it being the only resort to just being an option.

If not, we'll just ask to move or more likely, deal with it. We don't plan to be at the resort very much.
Harleyquinn- Are you staying at the ASsp or did you end up switching resorts?
I'm checking into the Assp on the 7th and out on the 16th. If the buses get to crowded in the PM I'll be ready to cab it
__________________
M2DD's is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #363
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies
 
harleyquinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 9,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2DD's View Post
Harleyquinn- Are you staying at the ASsp or did you end up switching resorts?
I'm checking into the Assp on the 7th and out on the 16th. If the buses get to crowded in the PM I'll be ready to cab it
I'm staying put. I really don't think they will make that big of an impact.

I hope I'm right!

ETA:
Honestly, I'm okay with it as the main event ends before I get there. If I was going the week before, I would consider trying to switch.

All of the value resorts are pretty full that week, I don't think it's just a Sports thing.

Last edited by harleyquinn; 06-30-2008 at 04:40 PM.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #364
RetroMom
Mouseketeer
 
RetroMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 193

We just stayed at All Star Sports June 17-June 22 and had a great time. My youngest son is 6, so I really wanted All Star Movies for the theming. But All Star Sports was the only value that had an opening, so I booked it. Since there was not a lot of discussion on the boards I wasn't sure what to really expect, other than it was a Disney property, so it had to meet some standards! We were quite happy. We stayed in Touchdown building 7 facing a pretty little wooded area and the paths to the parking lot. The football field with the x and o figures was just down the hall and the baseball pool was right around the corner from our room. When we arrived we looked at the main pool and I thought we would swim there, but we stayed at the smaller pool when we were at the hotel (which wasn't a whole lot). Our room was obviously recently refurbished and everything looked new. The mattresses were very nice. There was not a lot of room for unpacking since there were just a few drawers, so I unpacked what we would need the next day and hung up some things. As long as we kept the room straightened up, it was fine. If the kids starting just leaving stuff around, it would quickly take over! As a previous poster noted, there are places to put stuff, you just have to use it wisely. When you first walked into our room, there was an area in front of the window that we used for putting stuff we used daily as we went to the park. Otherwise, that could have been wasted space. We were near the bus stop and food court. If you take a moment and look around, you will discover different routes to where you want to go that may be shorter or more scenic. One path that we would take to the main building was a little longer, but had a bunny on the side lawn of it every time we passed!! We didn't try to approach it, but could stand within a few feet and it would just look at us and go about its' business. The hotel was sold out, but I never felt crowded at all. I don't know if it was because so many people spend all their time at the parks, but there were always plenty of chairs around the pool and tables in the food court. Lines weren't bad for the food or the bus, except for returning from Magic Kingdom. One night we saw that the All Star Music bus was not full, so we rode it instead and just walked across the parking lot to our room. There were volleyball and softball teams there when we were (my teenage son was quite happy), but I didn't notice any rowdy behavior. And everyday we had a towel animal from Mousekeeping. I also had a lovely surprise. It was my birthday trip and when we came in from the parks one evening there was a birthday balloon and a signed picture/card from Minnie Mouse wishing me happy birthday. If anybody has any questions, I am also happy to try to answer.
RetroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #365
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies
 
harleyquinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 9,750

Great review!! Thanks for taking the time!

How often were you at the food court and around what times? I've found that makes a HUGE difference. If you can manage to go at non-peak times, the resort seems so much emptier as a whole.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #366
MickMan
DIS Veteran
 
MickMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 591

RetroMom thanks for the review.

Glad you had a great time...
__________________




MickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #367
RetroMom
Mouseketeer
 
RetroMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
Great review!! Thanks for taking the time!

How often were you at the food court and around what times? I've found that makes a HUGE difference. If you can manage to go at non-peak times, the resort seems so much emptier as a whole.
We were there at different times, because even if we weren't eating, we would refill our beverage cups. I'm trying to remember if we were there at actual peak times and can only think of one time that we were in the food court at about 5:30/6 PM. It was busy, but it has a huge eating area. I'm not sure how long people would normally have to wait for their food to cook at peak times, but certainly not any longer than counter service in the parks.
RetroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #368
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies
 
harleyquinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 9,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMom View Post
We were there at different times, because even if we weren't eating, we would refill our beverage cups. I'm trying to remember if we were there at actual peak times and can only think of one time that we were in the food court at about 5:30/6 PM. It was busy, but it has a huge eating area. I'm not sure how long people would normally have to wait for their food to cook at peak times, but certainly not any longer than counter service in the parks.
Thanks!!
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #369
Magalex
DIS Veteran
 
Magalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMom View Post
We just stayed at All Star Sports June 17-June 22 and had a great time. My youngest son is 6, so I really wanted All Star Movies for the theming. But All Star Sports was the only value that had an opening, so I booked it. Since there was not a lot of discussion on the boards I wasn't sure what to really expect, other than it was a Disney property, so it had to meet some standards! We were quite happy. We stayed in Touchdown building 7 facing a pretty little wooded area and the paths to the parking lot. The football field with the x and o figures was just down the hall and the baseball pool was right around the corner from our room. When we arrived we looked at the main pool and I thought we would swim there, but we stayed at the smaller pool when we were at the hotel (which wasn't a whole lot). Our room was obviously recently refurbished and everything looked new. The mattresses were very nice. There was not a lot of room for unpacking since there were just a few drawers, so I unpacked what we would need the next day and hung up some things. As long as we kept the room straightened up, it was fine. If the kids starting just leaving stuff around, it would quickly take over! As a previous poster noted, there are places to put stuff, you just have to use it wisely. When you first walked into our room, there was an area in front of the window that we used for putting stuff we used daily as we went to the park. Otherwise, that could have been wasted space. We were near the bus stop and food court. If you take a moment and look around, you will discover different routes to where you want to go that may be shorter or more scenic. One path that we would take to the main building was a little longer, but had a bunny on the side lawn of it every time we passed!! We didn't try to approach it, but could stand within a few feet and it would just look at us and go about its' business. The hotel was sold out, but I never felt crowded at all. I don't know if it was because so many people spend all their time at the parks, but there were always plenty of chairs around the pool and tables in the food court. Lines weren't bad for the food or the bus, except for returning from Magic Kingdom. One night we saw that the All Star Music bus was not full, so we rode it instead and just walked across the parking lot to our room. There were volleyball and softball teams there when we were (my teenage son was quite happy), but I didn't notice any rowdy behavior. And everyday we had a towel animal from Mousekeeping. I also had a lovely surprise. It was my birthday trip and when we came in from the parks one evening there was a birthday balloon and a signed picture/card from Minnie Mouse wishing me happy birthday. If anybody has any questions, I am also happy to try to answer.
I am so happy that I have been reading wonderful June trip reports to ASSP. Our next trip is in June 2009. I might consider surprising our DS(will be 8 on the next trip) with a stay at ASSP. I always have been nervous about the large teen groups that I read about in trip reports or the tripadvisor reviews. The rooms look really cute now. I might just have to remember to ask for a room looking over a wooded quiet area. But I will change my mind a million times till then.
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #370
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,111

In answer to the busy time, we found the Sports as well as Music to be the most crowded in the morning around 9-11. The rest of the times not bad at all and sometimes very few people.

As far as the teen groups, I was a parent travelling with a Marching Band/Choir in the mid 95s. We had over 300 kids and stayed at ASMu. We had no problems and all the kids were really well behaved. WDW has so many things scheduled, the kids were worn out!! I'm not sure about the sports teams etc since I have heard some complaints on the boards.

I think we can almost thank these groups since I think they had a lot to do with WDW even constructing these Value resorts. Just a thought.
disneyfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #371
VanessasMom
Disney Bound!
 
VanessasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 783

If anyone is looking for a fridge swap....just click on the link in my siggie! (I saw a few posters asking)

Also wondering if anyone has taken a bus for a 7:30am resort breakfast? What time do the busses start running?

I would really like to have a room that is facing a wooded area in one of the touchdown buildings. Can anyone recommend which building that would be?

TIA!!
__________________
~Jennifer

OKW DVC Owner since 2010
VanessasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #372
RetroMom
Mouseketeer
 
RetroMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 193

I would really like to have a room that is facing a wooded area in one of the touchdown buildings. Can anyone recommend which building that would be?

TIA!![/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the Touchdown 10 building. If you look at the ASSp map, you can see where Touchdown 7 has a side that faces the football field. Then if you look at the map you can see where it says 7101-7364. That has a grassy area, then trees. This is where we saw the bunny all the time. Then on the map where it says 7 Touchdown, that area is wooded with the paths going thru it as you can see on the map. Our room was right where that little path with the circle ends at the building. It was very quiet. I'm sorry, I just can't remember our room number. Our window was decorated, so we all just aimed for that!
RetroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #373
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies
 
harleyquinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 9,750

Man I can't believe no one's posted on here in so long. You would think no one ever stays at Sports!

I'm trying to decide what I want my TA to put in my room request. I'd like a king room on the top floor, not facing a pool. Do you think that's asking too much? I don't care what building we're in.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #374
RetroMom
Mouseketeer
 
RetroMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 193

First, I was wondering if I had become a thread killer this early in my DIS life! Really surprising to me too that people do not talk about this resort, but I had noted that before our trip. There's just not a lot of talk, but it's a nice place. Regarding your actual question, I've just read repeatedly that you should keep requests to two or so, and since you are not requesting a certain building, I don't think they are unreasonable requests.
__________________
Me DS25 DS22 DS16 DS11

Off site as a kid in the 70's/80's/ Honeymoon ♥ Off site 1986/Off site 1987/Caribbean Beach Resort 1991/All Star Movies 2003/All Star Sports 2008
RetroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #375
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies
 
harleyquinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 9,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMom View Post
First, I was wondering if I had become a thread killer this early in my DIS life! Really surprising to me too that people do not talk about this resort, but I had noted that before our trip. There's just not a lot of talk, but it's a nice place. Regarding your actual question, I've just read repeatedly that you should keep requests to two or so, and since you are not requesting a certain building, I don't think they are unreasonable requests.
Thanks!

I wish the lack of talk equaled lack of people at the resort! Though it does to a certain extent. I've noticed that Sports is often the only value resort available for discounts and such.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: