Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #46
PoohnPglet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Thank you both Outlander and PoohnPglet for your responses. Sometimes the weight of dealing with Asthma can be isolating. It's nice to hear from other people who've had the same experiences with the stubbornly ignorant that I have had to endure.

Outlander, I wouldn't dream of letting DS go without any medication at all. At this time he is only taking Advair but I'm sure he will need another round of the messy stuff in a few weeks when I won't be able to avoid it. I guess the best I can hope for is that Soccer season will be over by that time. We do have an Aerochamber Max and a Nebulizer. It seems as though the nebulizer exaggerates his hyperactivity issues and brings them to a head more quickly. As a result of the fact that the Aerochamber seems to work just fine I tend to avoid the Nebulizer in all but the most serious of circumstances.

PoohnPglet, it never ocurred to me that having Asthma might prohibit my DS from doing whatever he wanted to do. I didn't know that Asthma would prevent DS from choosing the Armed Forces if he wanted to join as an adult. Just out of curiosity, are Asthmatics prohibited from all the Armed Forces or just the Air Force?
He has been told the Armed Forces as a whole. We haven't asked in a while, so the answer might be different now that they have changed some of the recruitment standards.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #47
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Just wanted to let the Dis know there is a panel of experts coming together 11/4 that will address asthma (both pediatric & adult) they are going to have a Q&A session for all the experts.
PM me is you would like the address, time & place.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #48
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 09-03-2011 at 11:30 AM.
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #49
outlander
I AM keeping my fingers crossed
But oysters are so ugly and pearls are so pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
Just wanted to let the Dis know there is a panel of experts coming together 11/4 that will address asthma (both pediatric & adult) they are going to have a Q&A session for all the experts.
PM me is you would like the address, time & place.
That sounds interesting.

How are things going luv?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #50
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Yes, Neverenoughwdw I'm very interested.
PM me & I will be happy to forward you the flyer

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #51
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 09-03-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #52
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Hey LuvOrlando - I haven't been around for awhile but I wanted to pop in & say hi - and glad to hear your DS is doing ok these days. Now if we could just get a good frost to kill the ragweed.....hahahahaha...ready for another 85 degree sweltering & humid day today?????

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #53
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 09-03-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #54
Whosemom
DIS Veteran

Hey Luv,
you might remember reading and responding about my dollbaby who has thyroid problems. Well, she also has what they call cough varient asthma.It took 8 months of her coughing until she threw up everynight to get it diagnosed. Part of the problem was that the hormones that "regulate" the disease go up at night, so the doc never heard her cough. THe other is, she never wheezes. But, like you mentioned, an incident can go on for a very long time. In her case, a couple of weeks can pass where she is all over that inhaler every day. We had, along with a pp, a school nurse deny her her medicine because she wasn't bad enough. Hello! It happened last spring, and I didn't know about it until school was out, so we had quite the heart-to-heart this fall, as you might imagine.

So anyway, she's on your list...advair, singulair, xopenx/pulmicort for the nebulizer, but an albuterol inhaler away from home. She also takes allegra or benidryl, depending on if she is stuffy or just maintaining. Add the thyroid med to that and she feels like a little old lady with her line up of meds on the table! She does ok with these, but let me tell ya! THey had her on clariton before the allegra and she just cried and cried and cried.

Advair has changed her life. Before it, she was starting to dread being anywhere quiet, because we could never keep her asthma under control and she coughed that terrible cough and kids had said stuff to her. Now she's MOSTLY ok. You can tell if she misses her advair.

We also took her off singulair for a very brief time last spring. after 7 days we had the "cough til you barf" and a lovely thin coating of mucus on her lamitnate floor had me on my butt when I went up to take care of her ( slide whistle effect here. Even she laughed at that one.) When the first thing your kid says after throwing up is "I'm ok - its just mucus, not real barf" thats a sad thing.

You do have one blessing in knowing his triggers. We have been utterly unable to pinpoint Pinkie's. We're starting to think stress may be her main trigger. Her last couple of incidents started when I've been away. And we usually have a flair up on vacations. Not things she would SAY were stressful, but probably they are.

One other thing we notice that may be a bit of a warning to you. If she has off the chart behavior, generally a day or two later we are treating a full blown asthma. (Except now we get to try to factor in that thyroid med changes can trigger some wild behavior too.) Our incidents may be different than yours, as its never an emergency of the go-to-the-er type. More of a drawn out unpleasantness.

Anyway, hang in there sister, we're all in this together!!!

Whosemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: