Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #331
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless

I've been looking at the betterbidding list of Priceline hotels and the categories, trying to decide which zones and which categories I'd want to book in.
I decided to give it a try and we got the Best Western Orlando Gateway for $50. I think I'm happy with it.. looked ok on TripAdvisor.

Have any of you been there?
emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #332
erwende
Earning My Ears

Last minute bid for resort at 80 $$ I got the Hyatt Grand Cypress for one night. Lowest rate online with AAA was 170$. Was just happy that I didn't get Hilton DTD!
erwende is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #333
momofsamandeden
Mouseketeer

After my experience with Priceline I am terrified to bid in Orlando! I think I will do four star and nothing less from now on with them. I think the Best Western is a good choice and great price and the Hyatt is fantastic!
momofsamandeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #334
taliategan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandeden View Post
After my experience with Priceline I am terrified to bid in Orlando! I think I will do four star and nothing less from now on with them. I think the Best Western is a good choice and great price and the Hyatt is fantastic!
I use Priceline and Hotwire frequently, but I always research the area first before getting a hotel from either service. For Priceline, I'll check the list of reported hotels on a site like betterbidding. I will pick a star rating and bidding zone in that area based upon the reported hotels. If there is hotel in a zone I do not like, I will either move up a star rating or look at a different bidding zone. If it is an area where there is not a lot reported hotels, I will move up a 1/2* to a 1* from the star rating I would normally bid before I make the bid. Once I get to the hotel, I take the attitude that I probably paid less for my room than anybody else that is staying in the hotel. I do not expect to be given a great room, have any requests honored or receive any extra service. I am just grateful that I was able to get a good deal on the room. I have not had any bad experiences with Priceline or Hotwire, but I am sure at some point I will. I do not think Priceline and Hotwire are for everybody. I would not recommend them to people that expect a lot of service from the hotel or are very picky about the hotels they like to stay.
taliategan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #335
rebecca06261
DIS Pirate Wench

Location: Living in Fantasy Land on most days but sleeping in Spring Hill, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinattraction View Post
what's this? can anybody discuss this in plain and simple...
Discuss what, in particular?
rebecca06261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #336
NorweJenNY
Always expanding my knowledge of the World

I just got Embassy Suites for a $59 bid on Priceline!

I checked betterbidding.com and found that the most recent 3.5* bid (within the last week or two, I believe) in the Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area was $59 for this resort. That winning bidder got several responses of "wow, that's a great deal."

So I hoped for Embassy Suites, but I checked the list of past 3.5* resorts in this area, and I decided I'd be happy with any of them, so I went ahead and made my first ever Priceline bid - 3.5* DTD/LBV for $59, and it was accepted! It's for one week from now - Friday, April 2 for one night.

After taxes and fees, it came to about $74. The cheapest rate I could find from a TripAdvisor search of various discount sites was in the $170's. So I'm happy!

And apparently this includes "complimentary breakfast made-to-order" as well as some complimentary evening drinks and snacks (not that I care, but others might like to know that alcohol is included in those complimentary drinks).

Apr '96-Offsite / Dec '01-Jan '02-Honeymoon - CBR / Apr '03-Off Property / Jul '04 - OKW
Jul '06-Offsite / Aug '07-POP / May '08-OKW / Jun '08-SSR / Jul '09-POR & WL / Sep-Oct '09-ASMo
Dec '09-POFQ & VWL / Feb '10-Offsite / Apr '10-Offsite / May '10-BCV, SSR, & POFQ / Aug '11-POP
Oct '11-POR / Dec '11-10th Anniversary - BWV / Jan '12-BCV / May '12-AKV
Sep '12 - POR / Aug '13-OKW / Mar '14-AKV / May '14-SSR

Next trip... Sept '14 - AS-Sp

NorweJenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #337
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorweJenNY View Post
I just got Embassy Suites for a $59 bid on Priceline!

I checked betterbidding.com and found that the most recent 3.5* bid (within the last week or two, I believe) in the Downtown Disney/Lake Buena Vista area was $59 for this resort. That winning bidder got several responses of "wow, that's a great deal."

So I hoped for Embassy Suites, but I checked the list of past 3.5* resorts in this area, and I decided I'd be happy with any of them, so I went ahead and made my first ever Priceline bid - 3.5* DTD/LBV for $59, and it was accepted! It's for one week from now - Friday, April 2 for one night.

After taxes and fees, it came to about $74. The cheapest rate I could find from a TripAdvisor search of various discount sites was in the $170's. So I'm happy!

And apparently this includes "complimentary breakfast made-to-order" as well as some complimentary evening drinks and snacks (not that I care, but others might like to know that alcohol is included in those complimentary drinks).
That sounds like a great deal! Congrats! Be sure to come back and let us know how it was

emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #338
rebecca06261
DIS Pirate Wench

I've gotten Embassy Suites 3 times in the past 6 mo using Hotwire. It's fantastic
Old 03-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #339
NorweJenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca06261 View Post
I've gotten Embassy Suites 3 times in the past 6 mo using Hotwire. It's fantastic
Interesting... what types of bids have you placed? And did you get Embassy everytime you bid, or did you get anything else as well? (Not sure how many times you traveled.)

Apr '96-Offsite / Dec '01-Jan '02-Honeymoon - CBR / Apr '03-Off Property / Jul '04 - OKW
Jul '06-Offsite / Aug '07-POP / May '08-OKW / Jun '08-SSR / Jul '09-POR & WL / Sep-Oct '09-ASMo
Dec '09-POFQ & VWL / Feb '10-Offsite / Apr '10-Offsite / May '10-BCV, SSR, & POFQ / Aug '11-POP

Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #340
rebecca06261
DIS Pirate Wench

^I only use Hotwire. I don't have the patience to use priceline. I'm a frequent traveler to LBV (once a month.)
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #341
kidd_freeper
DIS Veteran

Has anyone tried the Travelocity "Top Secret Hotels"?

It seems to be similar to Hotwire.
kidd_freeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #342
kidd_freeper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca06261 View Post
^I only use Hotwire. I don't have the patience to use priceline. I'm a frequent traveler to LBV (once a month.)
Have you ever used Hotwire to get a property that sleeps 6? The website doesn't allow it, but it does let you see if a property is "2BR"
kidd_freeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #343
rebecca06261
DIS Pirate Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_freeper View Post
Have you ever used Hotwire to get a property that sleeps 6? The website doesn't allow it, but it does let you see if a property is "2BR"
No, I haven't. Sorry
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #344
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I just won the Radison Orlando on International Drive for the night of June 16. I got it for $30, lowest price on website is $69. I bid $25 for Universal area 3*, and didn't win, so I upped to $30 by adding the convention center area. Just need one night before we do one night at Universal for Express pass, then on to a condo for a week.

Marsha
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #345
NorweJenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh1129 View Post
That sounds like a great deal! Congrats! Be sure to come back and let us know how it was
Our stay at Embassy Suites was great! Very upscale compared to other offsite locations we've stayed at... The lobby was a good step above Buena Vista Suites, if that helps to compare... Though similar two-room suite accommodations... Better breakfast too (still complimentary). Needed room key just to enter parking lot, which made me feel a bit better about security. The only negatives were that our room was quite a walk away to get too (though it's a big place and we arrived late), we thought the tub wasn't cleaned at first(but then discovered what we thought was dirt was just a small stain... the rest of the bathroom looked perfectly clean), and the drive to the parks was just a little bit further than BVS (though still pretty close). There was a kitchenette with microwave, small fridge and sink, but there was yet a third sink in the bedroom as well... Made brushing teeth a lot easier when others were in the bathroom. Breakfast included a made-to-order omelet station, and the guy cooking was totally entertaining! Multiple breakfast meats were available at the same time. They had more overall food options and more space for breakfast than BVS. It was a bit crowded, but it was a busy Easter weekend, so I suspect lots of hotels were more packed than usual.

If we snag another Priceline deal like we just got, we'd be happy to be back to Embassy Suites.