Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #316
Mich Mouse
Poly Loving Disney Bride
 
Mich Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Where you take only pictures, leave only footprints
Posts: 2,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
My situation had nothing to do with a name change at all. Priceline stated that it was a 3.5 hotel. NO WAY AT ALL. I have use Priceline for YEARS always, always having very good luck. This is the first time ever that Priceline stated a hotel was 3.5 and it was more of a 2 star facility. Just really upsetting to me and my family.

I mean come on, dark, dreary, smelly, tired, musty rooms, holes in the towels, the bathroom door fell off into my arms as I went to close it, and not to mention NO carpeting in the room, very very cold linoleum, paper thin walls, with a check out of noon, housekeeping literally banging our door down at 9AM to ask when we were leaving (I could go on)...

I was so disappointed, so disappointed. I will say after I won the bid, I went to Trip Advisor and my heart sank as the reviews were HORRIFIC. Then I went to Priceline's reviews of this hotel and they were just as horrible. I decided we would have to just "deal with those horrible reviews and find out for ourselves"..........welllllllllllllllll, let me tell you, we sure did find out.

Hence my diligence in talking to Priceline over and over again about this hotel. I was there 2 nights, they did refund one full night. I was happy with that. But I have completely changed my thinking about Priceline. I guess it just takes one bad experience to do that.....



I agree with betterbiding, that site is dead.
I had a similar experience in a NY hotel. After numerous complaints the best they offered me was another free night in the same hotel. No thanks!
However, the PL star rating was eventually changed as there were other complaints. PL has consistently provided my familly with four star hotels at 2 star prices..... except for this one time.
__________________
After a dozen trips, and a Disney wedding .... We are finally DVC Members





Mich Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #317
novdisneydreams
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 315

Hotwire Questions

Can I ask Hotwire questions in this thread?

I've never done hotwire before but I really need an extreme budget trip. When they say adults (we have 2) and kids 2-17 (we have 2) I worry because we also have a one year old ( 3 kids total) ... will that be a problem? We certainly don't need an extra bed or room for him - he'll sleep in his pac'nplay or with us.

Also - How reliable are their tripadvisor ratings? I found an extremely cheap - under$30 - 2.5 star hotel (well, lets face it, it will be a motel, but thats fine) for June. It is Disney Maingate Celebration area. Amenities are smoke free, fitness, pool, restaurant, business, laundry, hi-speed. It has 3.5 little tripadvisor circles. Any idea what this could be?

It says that 80% of people recommend it which is great - we aren't too picky - I do know that you get what you pay for so I am not seeking luxury here, but I certainly don't want anything disgusting or dangerous - I'm thinking 80% would give me good odds of a decent budget motel. I'm just looking for clean and safe with (hopefully) a working pool. We want to go down and use our GAD tickets and maybe do KSC

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!
novdisneydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #318
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!
 
MOM POPPINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Trenton, Texas
Posts: 3,900

I find this site extremely helpful with helping to identify hotwire hotels. If you cannot figure out which hotel it is than ask they are more than willing to help.

www.betterbidding.com

Here is the direct link for Hotwire/Florida

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=67&

__________________

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Bay Lake AKL and Boardwalk December 14

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #319
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by novdisneydreams View Post
Can I ask Hotwire questions in this thread?

I've never done hotwire before but I really need an extreme budget trip. When they say adults (we have 2) and kids 2-17 (we have 2) I worry because we also have a one year old ( 3 kids total) ... will that be a problem? We certainly don't need an extra bed or room for him - he'll sleep in his pac'nplay or with us.

Also - How reliable are their tripadvisor ratings? I found an extremely cheap - under$30 - 2.5 star hotel (well, lets face it, it will be a motel, but thats fine) for June. It is Disney Maingate Celebration area. Amenities are smoke free, fitness, pool, restaurant, business, laundry, hi-speed. It has 3.5 little tripadvisor circles. Any idea what this could be?

It says that 80% of people recommend it which is great - we aren't too picky - I do know that you get what you pay for so I am not seeking luxury here, but I certainly don't want anything disgusting or dangerous - I'm thinking 80% would give me good odds of a decent budget motel. I'm just looking for clean and safe with (hopefully) a working pool. We want to go down and use our GAD tickets and maybe do KSC

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!
2.5* is not necessarily a motel. It could also be a Holiday Inn Express or Fairfield Inn by Marriott. Both are not luxurious but decent, clean and include free light breakfast. (bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc.)

I agree w/ pp about using www.betterbidding.com. Their FL hotel list offers a complete list of 'known' Hotwire IDs. It helps to look here before posting a question asking for them to ID a hotel. This will ID probably 90% of search results for Orlando area.
http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=67&


I've used their advice at least 10x and they've always been correct for me.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #320
taliategan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by novdisneydreams View Post
Can I ask Hotwire questions in this thread?

I've never done hotwire before but I really need an extreme budget trip. When they say adults (we have 2) and kids 2-17 (we have 2) I worry because we also have a one year old ( 3 kids total) ... will that be a problem? We certainly don't need an extra bed or room for him - he'll sleep in his pac'nplay or with us.

Also - How reliable are their tripadvisor ratings? I found an extremely cheap - under$30 - 2.5 star hotel (well, lets face it, it will be a motel, but thats fine) for June. It is Disney Maingate Celebration area. Amenities are smoke free, fitness, pool, restaurant, business, laundry, hi-speed. It has 3.5 little tripadvisor circles. Any idea what this could be?

It says that 80% of people recommend it which is great - we aren't too picky - I do know that you get what you pay for so I am not seeking luxury here, but I certainly don't want anything disgusting or dangerous - I'm thinking 80% would give me good odds of a decent budget motel. I'm just looking for clean and safe with (hopefully) a working pool. We want to go down and use our GAD tickets and maybe do KSC

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!
Its probably the Best Western Lakeside - but I would register on betterbidding.com & make a post on that site to make sure. I don't think having a 1 year old would cause a problem of having more than 4 in a room - but you could call Hotwire customer service to make sure it is not a problem. Since people have different standards with hotels, its hard to say. I usually feel comfortable bidding anything 3* or above on either Hotwire or Priceline. I usually check the hotel lists on Priceline and Hotwire on betterbidding.com for the area I am interested & make sure that I am comfortable with all the hotels listed in that area for the star level I want. If not, I will look at the next star level up or possibly a different zone. Even with this check, there is not absolute certainity you will get a hotel from that list - a hotel may have just started to use the service or a star rating of hotel could have recently changed up or down. Now if I was pretty certain I could identify the hotel on Hotwire, I would purchase a 2-1/2* or 2* on Hotwire.
taliategan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #321
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliategan View Post
Its probably the Best Western Lakeside - but I would register on betterbidding.com & make a post on that site to make sure. I don't think having a 1 year old would cause a problem of having more than 4 in a room - but you could call Hotwire customer service to make sure it is not a problem. Since people have different standards with hotels, its hard to say. I usually feel comfortable bidding anything 3* or above on either Hotwire or Priceline. I usually check the hotel lists on Priceline and Hotwire on betterbidding.com for the area I am interested & make sure that I am comfortable with all the hotels listed in that area for the star level I want. If not, I will look at the next star level up or possibly a different zone. Even with this check, there is not absolute certainity you will get a hotel from that list - a hotel may have just started to use the service or a star rating of hotel could have recently changed up or down. Now if I was pretty certain I could identify the hotel on Hotwire, I would purchase a 2-1/2* or 2* on Hotwire.
My guess is that HW would tell pp you can't have 5 guests in a room, period, as that would be their 'required' response. Also the hotel may say due to fire code regulations you can't have 5 in a room.
Do people do it? yes. Would I? With a 1 y.o., probably.
If pp wants to be 100% honest and reveal 3 kids, they would tell her to get 2 rooms but then hotel wouldn't guarantee connecting rooms via HW either.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #322
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless
 
emh1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New England
Posts: 2,533

I went to the link posted above (for hotwire) and had trouble matching a few up.
Does this one look familiar to anyone?

3* Lake Buena Vista-Downtown Disney condo-
condo, resort, 1 bedroom suite, fully equipped kitchen, free parking, AC, children's activities, fitness center.
(recommended in 80%)

Edited to add: nevermind, finally found it! Blue Tree Resort.. off to look it up.

Last edited by emh1129; 02-16-2010 at 09:34 PM.
emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #323
momofsamandeden
Mouseketeer
 
momofsamandeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 205

I just got the Regal Sun for 56 dollars may 11-18! Way cheaper than disney and even cheaper than Windsor Hills so my trip total is 700 air on priceline, 184.94 for midsize Hertz on Hotwire, and 455 plus resort fee for Regal Sun. All that I have left is disney tickets and I think I can stay within my 2000 budget!
momofsamandeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #324
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless
 
emh1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New England
Posts: 2,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandeden View Post
I just got the Regal Sun for 56 dollars may 11-18! Way cheaper than disney and even cheaper than Windsor Hills so my trip total is 700 air on priceline, 184.94 for midsize Hertz on Hotwire, and 455 plus resort fee for Regal Sun. All that I have left is disney tickets and I think I can stay within my 2000 budget!
Congratulations! Keep us posted.. I like to hear how other DISers are keeping to budget!
emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #325
momofsamandeden
Mouseketeer
 
momofsamandeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 205

I think the real test will be how bad that hotel is. I told dh we are taking an "insurance" in case the place is deplorable. I got a hotel on priceline last year that was so bad I walked into the room and walked back to my car, to a mcdonalds with wireless and booked on hotwire a much better hotel!
momofsamandeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #326
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless
 
emh1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New England
Posts: 2,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsamandeden View Post
I think the real test will be how bad that hotel is. I told dh we are taking an "insurance" in case the place is deplorable. I got a hotel on priceline last year that was so bad I walked into the room and walked back to my car, to a mcdonalds with wireless and booked on hotwire a much better hotel!
It actually gets pretty good reviews on trip advisor.. lots of mixed ones, but on the whole there are more good reviews than not. I think the only thing to be prepared for is the parking & resort fee- $15 per day, I guess? (but you already mentioned that).
emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #327
momofsamandeden
Mouseketeer
 
momofsamandeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 205

I actually canceled my trip on Priceline and did it with no fees after I let the priceline rep listen to the three voice-mails I got from the hotel staff regarding a crib in the room. These people are not friendly there that is for sure so there was no way I was chancing it!
momofsamandeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #328
Plannin'Shannon
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.
 
Plannin'Shannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,672

We spent one night over President's Day weekend at the Extended Stay Deluxe Lake Buena Vista on palm parkway. Won it for $25 bid + $10 in taxes and fees on Priceline, 2 stars in the "Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney" area. This was my first Priceline experience and I was thrilled!
__________________
There is a place where castle spires gleam in the night sky,
Where fantasy is real and wishes come true,
Where happily ever after happens every day.
There is a place where Magic lives.
Plannin'Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #329
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"
 
MomofKatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: charlotte,NC
Posts: 10,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plannin'Shannon View Post
We spent one night over President's Day weekend at the Extended Stay Deluxe Lake Buena Vista on palm parkway. Won it for $25 bid + $10 in taxes and fees on Priceline, 2 stars in the "Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney" area. This was my first Priceline experience and I was thrilled!
We stayed there in May 2008- got it on Hotwire for $32/night, I believe. We really enjoyed the hotel.
__________________
Jenny me DH DD16 Purrcey, Lily, and GiGi
7/71 DL 7/73, 2/84, 2/93, 3/97 Offsite 7/02 CSR 11/04 POFQ 10/05 Pop
1/07 Offsite 10/07 offsite 5/08 offsite 1/09 offsite 11/10 offsite 11/12 ASMu 11/13 Pop
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #330
momofsamandeden
Mouseketeer
 
momofsamandeden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 205

I ended up getting Sheraton Vistana Villages for 69 a night on hotwire tonight and I am much happier with that choice and it cost us less than if we had stayed on one room at the Regal. I was just way too nervous about the reviews of that hotel!
momofsamandeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.