Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Smile Ace, Me, & the Guy with CP *An update on Bill Pg. 70*

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

PRE-TRIP INSTALLMENTS

Installment # 1 - Introductions (In this post just after the table of contents)
Installment # 2 Our back story part 1 (warning long)
Installment # 3 Back story Part 2 Summer camp
Installment # 4 Back story Part 3 - You want to go where on Vacation?
Installment # 5 Back story part 4 - My son and friends say “You’re going again?”
Installment # 6 Back story part 5 – Oh NO!! She called us what?
Installment # 7 back story #6 – That’s fine, we have all day!!
Installment # 8 back story part 7 – We never want to see the MGM Parade again
Installment # 9 back story part 8 – Animal Kingdom and misc. pictures
Installment #10 It’s finally almost a pre-trip report, ever think I would get here?
Installment #11 Will my son join us on the trip?
Installment #12 – Unplug the TTY phone, Bill is at it again!
Installment #13 – DIS’er friendships and Passporters
Tee shirts I made for the trip
Installment #14 – Who elected me to tell them, I want a recount!!
Installment #15 – My ears are ringing and they are looking at me for an answer
OFF TOPIC - October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Installment #16 – Why isn’t the Official SSW list out yet?
OFF TOPIC - YAY!! The SSW Actors list is up!!
Installment #17 – Do we really want to eat there??
Bill's Installment #1 - His first post on my PTR and his past Disney trips BT - Before Tracy
Bill's Installment #2 - His second post about first trip with Josh and I
Installment # 18 – Like we really think we will get to do all this stuff
Misc. Pics of trip stuff
A Huge Thanks to apirateslife4evr!!!
Installment #19 - Pictures of notebooks? Why did I take them?
Installment #20 – Here is the when it gets a little crazy!
Ace gets a new friend
Bill's Installment #3 November 2006 Trip - Bill's side of the story Part 1
Pictures of Ace.. Our fur baby!!
The Good News, The Bad News

TRIP REPORT INSTALLMENTS

TR # 1 Why we are always late
TR # 2 Here We Go Again
TR # 3 Checking in, refrigerators, and a little surprise!
TR # 4 Sunshine, spending money, and good food!!
TR # 5 Epcot, a near death experience, and the wind tunnel!
TR # 6 Being sad, getting a drink, and when did Paris Hilton start working at WDW?
TR # 7 Finally at Magic Kingdom and is that a DISer two tables over?
TR # 8 Bill’s side of the trip Part 1!
TR # 9 Bill’s side of the trip Part 2
We have an Announcement!!
TR# 10 Bill’s side of the trip Part 3
TR # 11 Character pics, more birds, and a DISer kissing Bill!!
Announcement # 2 - A little sad, but for the best
TR # 12 No Tonga Toast, no Le Cellier, and I can’t believe we are first!!
TR #12A Random Epcot pics I just wanted to post
TR # 13 Why don’t we just live in this park and the Boma waiter did what?
TR #14 Meeting Susan Lucci and the bus driver did what?
TR #15 Waiting, crying, and fun at Fantasmic!!
TR #16 SSW Day 1 - Some soap fans are RUDE!!
TR #17 SSW Day 2 - An almost accident & thankful for being early
TR #17A SSW Day 2 Continued
TR #18 Sadness sets in and dining with Winnie
TR #19 Saying Goodbye is never an easy thing
TR #20 We have to leave, but are reunited with Ace!!
TR #21 Random Pictures from the trip
TR #21A More Random Pictures
TR #22 Tracy’s final thoughts
TR #23 Bill’s final thoughts - the end of a TR
A little Update on Bill

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installment # 1 - Introductions

Hi, welcome to my first pre-trip report. Since my fiancé, Bill introduced me to Disney World I have become totally addicted to it and to the DIS. I am a trip report reading junkie . There will be two of us on this trip to the world of the Mouse, but I do need to introduce you to one more member of our family first.

Our Cast list:

(1) Ace, our Jack Russell/Rat terrier. I have to mention him because this will be the 3rd time we will be leaving him to go see rodents, ducks, dogs, and other animals at WDW while he stays at home. It is very unfair to him I know, but what else can we do? Stay home, I think not!! He is our fur baby and I am one of those dog owners that have separation anxiety. I swear he knows we are going to be leaving him again, especially when we are talking about Disney World. I get this look every single time:

(These big brown eyes make me feel guilty for about 5 seconds then my brain goes back to trip planning mode).

Now let me introduce the people that will actually be going to Orlando:

(2) Me, mrsksomeday, aka Tracy, trip planner, replanner, over planner - worry wart extraordinaire. Bill (darling fiancé) seems to have some type of mind control over me. I worry about things big and small, he just grins at me and says everything will be fine, and would you believe, it always is? I want to talk about Disney all the time. I am one of those people that can work the word “Disney” into just about any conversation I am in. I am driving all the people crazy that have never been to Disney World because they just DO NOT get it. This is my 3rd time going to WDW.

(3) My fiancé, or as I call him Bill. My Prince Charming. When I met him he didn’t come riding up on a White Stallion, he was in his Quickie P-222 (no that is not some weird naughty innuendo, get your mind out of the gutter people - it’s a wheelchair). He has Cerebral Palsy. (Now is where I bore you with the definition of CP. I just want to inform people what it is like for my sweet, sweet man.)

The term cerebral palsy refers to any one of a number of neurological disorders that appear in infancy or early childhood and permanently affect body movement and muscle coordination but don’t worsen over time.Even though cerebral palsy affects muscle movement, it isn’t caused by problems in the muscles or nerves. It is caused by abnormalities in parts of the brain that control muscle movements.

Children and adults with cerebral palsy exhibit a wide variety of symptoms, including:
§ lack of muscle coordination when performing voluntary movements (ataxia); Bill has this.
§ stiff or tight muscles and exaggerated reflexes (spasticity); Bill has this.
§ walking with one foot or leg dragging; Huge balance issues, no walking for Bill.
§ walking on the toes, a crouched gait, or a “scissored” gait; Again no walking for Bill.
§ variations in muscle tone, either too stiff or too floppy; Bill has this, too stiff.
§ excessive drooling or difficulties swallowing or speaking; Bill has this, big problem with pills.
§ shaking (tremor) or random involuntary movements; and Bill has this, his right arm can smack you, lol.
§ difficulty with precise motions, such as writing or buttoning a shirt. Bill has this.

His right arm doesn’t listen to his brain very well; he has nicknamed it “wild thing”. His right hand stays closed; he can not make his hand open. He is a lefty like me.He has huge balance issues (I hold onto him on most of the rides and I learned the hard way to not turn the van to quickly - oops). He has muscle spasms 100’s of times a day. There is constant pain in his right ankle. The man has had 15 surgeries over the years. He is the easiest going, most patient, funniest person I know.

He has a bit of a speech impediment. Although I don’t mind his accent as I call it. I think it’s kinda cute. I understand him just fine. He told me from day one if I didn’t understand he would repeat it 100 times if he needed too. Sometimes I still don’t get it and we either play charades, password (where he will say a word that should make me say the word he is saying) or he will spell it. It is like a game show around the apartment some days. At least we are never bored and he gets to laugh at me when I don’t get what he is saying.

Sometimes in public he says things just to make me laugh hysterically and since people don’t normally even try to understand him, they give me the “evil eye” because they think I am laughing at him not with him. Every once in a while he likes to look wounded like I hurt his feelings to make me feel embarrassed. He does this until I turn bright red, when I do he knows he has done his job for the day.

This man also has 3 college degrees and is working on a Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Management with a 3.757 GPA. He can also whip you in x-box games with one hand. His sense of humor is wonderful and he has taught me patience, love , trust, and understanding. This is his 8th time going to WDW.

This will be our 3rd trip to together in just under 2 years; do you think I am hooked? Yeah, well he is too, we are already planning a trip for December 2008, at least I think it will be December, we often change things.

This trip came up because we love WDW. He has his disability and I am what people on the DIS like to call Pooh sized. We are accepted at Disney for who we are not what we look like. He is treated with respect and kindness and that makes me love WDW even more.

Like any other trip planner, you have to decide what time of year you want to go. This consisted of Bill looking at me one day and saying “Do you want to go back to Super Soap Weekend this year?” Now what woman that has watched the ABC soaps since she was little with her mom and is a manager of an internet soap group supposed to say to that? “How many days should we go?” It seems we can not just plan a weekend there. With all his stuff and all the things we want to do we have to stay at least 7 days to make it worth while. (Does that argument work for you, or does it sound like a load of crap? ) Well, since he is even more addicted to WDW than I am we decided on 9 days/8 nights, because you can’t count the day you leave or arrive as park days, well we can’t anyway. That leaves us with 7 park days, 3 at MGM and 4 to disperse to the other parks.

Tune in next time… (da da daaa, my attempt at dramatic music) Will we get to go that many days? What resort are we going to? Did I brainwash Bill into wanting to go to Super Soap Weekend again? Find out in the next installment!!

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 03-30-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: updating installment links for easy reading!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
dseth
DIS Veteran

Great start I'll be watching for updates!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Tracy!

I'm so glad to see that you've finally started a report... hooray!!

I haven't watched the soaps at all since college, but if you think about it, trip reports and pre-trip reports are very much like mini-soap operas! That's why I like the ones that have a lot of backstory.

So lets hear it for our newest DIS Soap!!

Oh Bill!! Oh Tracy!! Bark Bark!! (Ace)

Kathy
Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseth View Post
Great start I'll be watching for updates!
Wow , my first reader. I am honored. I will be reading your trip report as well. Thanks for reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
I haven't watched the soaps at all since college, but if you think about it, trip reports and pre-trip reports are very much like mini-soap operas! That's why I like the ones that have a lot of backstory.

So lets hear it for our newest DIS Soap!!
Kathy
YAY!!! Kathy was here!! I will probably put a lot of backstory it is less than 80 days until the trip, but I don't know if I have enough planning stuff to last that long. Thanks for replying.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
SwansLoveDisney
DIS Veteran

Great start!

I'm hooked!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear more. My son has autism and we have felt that Disney Magic you were referring to. The magic that makes you feel like you can be yourself and not be judged by anyone! We can't really afford to be going back this year - but that magic just keeps sucking us in!!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Can't wait to hear more. My son has autism and we have felt that Disney Magic you were referring to. The magic that makes you feel like you can be yourself and not be judged by anyone! We can't really afford to be going back this year - but that magic just keeps sucking us in!!
Yes, it is the magic where you can be yourself and to me atleast if feels like most of my worries seem to fade away. The power of Pixie Dust is undeniable.

Thank you so much for joining me in my pre trippie. I have the second installment almost ready. Hope everyone is having a great day!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
mrsksomeday

Installment #2 Our back story part 1 (warning long)

Before I start, I know I had cliff hanger questions at the end of the last installment. Please forgive me, I will get to them, but not just yet. As KathyRN137 has so wisely stated, no soap opera or pre-trip report is complete without a back story.

Flashback to June 2004…

I was divorced and had a 15 year old son Josh, he lived with his Dad by choice, but we were together a lot of the time. Bill and I met online . I know you aren’t supposed to talk to someone who just messages you on yahoo for no reason, but it was a Sunday afternoon, I was bored, and my friend pushed me into replying It was peer pressure I tell you, even though I was 33 at the time. (This was the best thing she ever did for me).

In taking her advice, my whole life changed. This man was sweet, funny, talkative and before I knew it we had been talking over 2 hours. My friend had asked me to come up to her workplace to talk for a bit, so I told the internet guy I needed to go. He told me he hoped we could talk soon. I said that we would. I went up to see my friend, she asked how long we talked, I told her we hadn't stopped talking until I went to see her. She started laughing out loud. She then asked what he looked like? I said "I don't know". She said "WHAT"?

(Here is the point in the story where I tell you I am a super pooh sized chick, have been my whole life, probably will be until the day I die. I wear my weight like armor. I do not judge people by their looks, I don't like it being done to me so I don't do it to other people. But we aren’t here to analyze me today, back to the back story.)

I told her I never asked for a picture and he never volunteered. He had seen my pic, it was on my profile. She said to find out what the man looked like. I got home, turned on the computer, and he was online. I said hi, he said he couldn't believe that I had actually come back to talk to him. I told him about my conversation with my friend. He said he would be happy to show me a pic, but he had to "warn me first". I said “what do you mean warn me?” This is when he informed me he has CP(Cerebral Palsy, not Crystal Palace) and was in a wheelchair. He then sent me a picture. I opened it and the only things I saw were wonderful blue eyes and the warmest smile I had ever seen. We talked for over a month online and on the phone before I would agree to meet him.

Since Bill doesn’t drive, he had his PA (personal attendant) drive him to come pick me up for our "date". He was in his Dodge Grand Caravan, they had to send it to Arizona (we are in Illinois) to get it converted for the wheelchair. The second row of seats is gone and there is a wheelchair locking device in the floorboard to lock the chair in place. I got in the front passenger seat, turned around to say hello and his blue eyes locked with mine. When he smiled I was a goner .We have been attached at the hip ever since.

I always questioned why my Mom was taken from me (she died of breast cancer) when I was 22. Why was I was the one that had all the responsibility of taking care of her? After I met Bill I understood. It was to prepare me to see that I could take care of someone with medical issues. I believe that things happen for a reason and even though my Mom is no longer with me she taught me this one last valuable lesson: Love helps you see past the medical issues and things you have to do to help someone. The medical situations are part of our daily lives and a non-issue. I adore him just the way he is.

I don’t remember the exact date I moved in with him, it was a quick natural progression, we were together all the time. It was a little less than 6 months after meeting him. I know, I know seems too fast, but we have been together over 3 years now so things have turned out well.

Fast forward to January 2005. Bill and I took my son, Josh, to a mall that night for a ball cap. He is one of those kids that for some reason thinks Mom is a walking ATM machine. I have no idea why he feels this way, he gets “no funds available” or in my speak “not going to happen” when he tries to get me to buy things he doesn’t really need. Before we walked into the mall that night, I got out the cash needed for said ball cap and left my wallet in the van so he would know that there would be no more purchases that night. He is crazy about tennis shoes, sneakers, what ever you call them in your part of the country. He wants to go into every shoe store he sees. After we got the hat, he decided he wanted to go look in one of the many shoe stores in the mall. Bill and I decided to deflect the “Mom, can I have these? Mom, my shoes are almost worn out. Mom, I promise I won’t ask for anything else” statements by just not going into the store with him. Josh was fine with that.

This is when the fur baby comes into our lives. Bill suggested we go down to the pet store to look around. The puppies were already put in the cages for the night because it was 15 minutes until closing. Bill wheeled in and took me to where the dogs were. I was looking at the puppies quickly – beagle, yorkie, pug, but I didn’t hear Bill following me. I turned around and there he was right in front of the first cage. According to the sign it was a Jack Russell/Rat Terrier. He was curled up in a ball and staring straight at Bill and Bill was staring straight back. OMG I thought, it is happening again. The same thing Bill did to me with those blue eyes, but the puppy was doing it to Bill. Then I can’t believe these words came out of my mouth: “Bill, you want that puppy??” Bill says, “Yes, I think I do.” “You really want that puppy??” “Yes, I really do.” Now any normal person would have taken a step back and assessed the situation. We live in an apartment, you have to get permission for pets, you have to have them neutered and/or spayed and get all their shots. This is not a split second decision; well it isn’t unless you are us. I see one of the clerks and ask if we could put down a deposit on the puppy. (This was my way of buying time to talk Bill out of this, I would be the one responsible for the puppy and I didn’t know if I wanted to get into that at that point in our relationship.) The clerk said yes we could put down a deposit and pick him up tomorrow. TOMORROW, what good would that do me? I looked at Bill, he looked at me and then I said “let me go get my wallet”.

As I had stated earlier, I am pooh sized, but when I have a goal I can move pretty fast. I was fast walking past the shoe store because the van was on the other side of the mall. My son saw me, came out, and started following me. “Mom, where are you going?” “I have to go get my wallet, we are getting a puppy.” “WHAT???” He told he had never seen me move that fast, LOL. Not true, but it made me laugh. He went with me and I just moved the van to the closest entrance to the pet store. Bill stayed in the store so they wouldn’t close on us. Who would throw out a man in a wheelchair???

We purchased the fur baby and went to Wal-mart to get some essentials. Josh stayed in the van with him. Someone in the store saw us getting all that stuff and told us they had almost gotten a puppy that night. It was the one we got!! Then when we got to the van, Josh said another couple saw him with the puppy and told him they almost bought him. Bill said it was fate that we got him. I didn’t believe that then, but I do now.

Here is a picture of him the night we got him. Sorry about the quality, it is a scanned picture, we had a hard drive go bad and lost most of the puppy pictures He is on a pillow sham from the bed:

Next time find out how I fell in love with summer camp…
Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

A very good start!

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Who doesn't love a puppy story!

Waiting for more...

Heidi

Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
KathyRN137

Tracy,

"... And they called it Puppy Lu-uh-uh-uv!!"

Hooray! Lots of juicy backstory! Can't wait for more!!

Kathy
Old 08-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
mrsksomeday

Shout outs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwansLoveDisney View Post
Great start!

I'm hooked!
Thank you so much for joining in. I am currently reading your pre trippie which seems much more exciting than mine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post

A very good start!
TYVM for reading. I just want to shout from the rooftops that Bill is more than his wheelchair. It totally amazes me the ignorance of people when it comes to talking to, interacting with, or just being around someone with a disability. I hope that by doing this pre-trippie and story about us it might shed a little light on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Who doesn't love a puppy story!

Waiting for more...

Heidi
I could talk about that dog for days, lol. He is our little angel. Thank you for joining in and reading my long winded stories. I will try (try being the operative word here) to cut down the other installments, I just seem to get on a roll and keep typing... kinda like right now.

Quote:
"... And they called it Puppy Lu-uh- uh-uv!!"

Hooray! Lots of juicy backstory! Can't wait for more!!

Kathy
Kathy you always make me smile . I am a back story fanatic right now. I guess I just want people to understand how great Bill really is. They sometimes see the chair and have such preconceived notions that are so incorrect. I want to scream "HE IS GREAT, JUST TALK TO HIM AND YOU WILL SEE!!" I can't change the world, but I can show a little bit into our lives.

Coming soon, more backstory. (I pray you all don't get sick of this)
Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #13
mrsksomeday

Installment #3 Back story Part 2 Summer camp

(I am going to have a couple more “back story” posts before the pre trippie, I figured I would get our whole story out. I hope you don’t mind.)

As I last left off we were in Jan. 2005 and had just gotten the then un-named fur baby. Bill is a KISS fanatic, has loved them since he was little, so he named the puppy Ace for Ace Frehley. He is the the lead guitarist in the rock band KISS .

That summer Bill wanted to go back to work at a summer camp for people with disabilities. He had worked there 3 previous summers and loved being there. He got hired and out to camp we went, the first week was orientation. Bill stayed at camp 24/7 and I went out 4 times a day. I didn’t understand why he loved it there so much until the first week of campers came.

An autistic young man named Stephen took my heart. He was mostly non verbal, didn’t really join in, and stayed to himself. That is, until he met Bill. He instantly connected with Bill. He followed him everywhere. If Bill wasn’t near him you would hear him yell “BILL” very loudly and he would motion for Bill to sit by him. When Bill would go to him, Stephen would turn Bill’s wheelchair off so he wouldn’t go anywhere.

Stephen wanted me near him too when I was there, but nobody could compare to Bill. The nurses were the only ones that gave out the meds, but they gave me permission to give Stephen his because I was the only one he would take them from. Other people tried, but he would throw them or spit them out. He would eat only if Bill was near him. He adored Bill. I never went out to camp on the days the campers went home, I couldn’t handle seeing them leave .

I could tell you countless stories from that summer about children and adults with autism, downs syndrome, mild retardation, cerebral palsy, etc., but that is not the point of this board or this post. The point of this post is I learned more in that summer about disabilities, myself, and Bill than I ever thought possible. Bill thrived in that environment. He was part of the team. The counselors and campers respected and listened to him. They learned his speech pattens and would really talk to him. They all gave him a chance there. (This is how it kind of feels at Disney World) Counselors would come to him to vent or ask advice. Campers bonded with him because they knew he understood their situations. It was a huge eye opening experience for me and made me love Bill even more than ever. I was sad to see it end.

Next installment… I finally get to experience Disney World with Bill for the first time!!

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 01-02-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post

When Bill would go to him, Stephen would turn Bill’s wheelchair off so he wouldn’t go anywhere.

LOL! Everytime Billy figures out something like that, I tell Ed, "He may be autistic, but he's not dumb!"

I think it's a common phenomenon for some people to see a person with multiple physical and/or developmental disabilities and just assume that he is somehow completely mentally deficient, too. I really cannot resent these individuals for thinking this way; our society values youth, beauty, and athletic prowess above all other qualities it seems.

Wouldn't it be great if all young people had the opportunity to work and play in an environment like the one you described? I'm sure it would enrich their lives greatly and help them to appreciate the gifts that have been given to them.

If they would take the time to look past the superficial and get to know the disabled person they would realize that there is a "real" person hidden under the physical deformities and behavioral irregularities. A person who thinks and dreams and loves just like everybody else.

The folks at WDW have certainly figured this out! I can't wait to read about your first trip with Bill!

Hugs!

Kathy
Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if all young people had the opportunity to work and play in an environment like the one you described? I'm sure it would enrich their lives greatly and help them to appreciate the gifts that have been given to them.

If they would take the time to look past the superficial and get to know the disabled person they would realize that there is a "real" person hidden under the physical deformities and behavioral irregularities. A person who thinks and dreams and loves just like everybody else.
It would be wonderful if all young people could do that Kathy. Bill's dream is to work at a year round special needs camp. He would be wonderful at that. Unfortunately, he isn't going back to the camp I talked about. The new administrator felt that he "didn't really have anything to offer". There was almost a riot from the returning counselors when they found out Bill wasn't working there. It broke Bill's heart.

I think something better will eventually come along. We just have to believe that enough.

Thank you for being my lone reader right now . I have some views but not many comments, so I want to thank all of you again that took the time to reply. I understand I am long winded.

Next update will actually have something about Disney World, I promise!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: