Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've started the 8000 packing lists. That many b/c I lose them.

Am trying to figure out how many times I'll have to run to upload pix to the computer, to empty our one-and-only memory card. Really should run to Costco, see if they have one in the store with as good a price as they do online...or hmm, maybe see how long that Costco one could take. After all, my 256 memory card takes us almost through a day at the zoo, I can't even imagine how many pictures I'd take with a 2GB!

Got hooked up with a photopass share, so that's good.

On Tuesday I get a haircut! This is important for the photopass thing (want to look decent, unlike now, since I've been growing out my hair without a stylist's periodic help for about a year now, ew), but also for the HS reunion 2 days before Disney.

Found the portable DVD player for the car trip, but DH thinks he lost the car charger for it. And the battery is old, and doesn't hold a bit of a charge, so right now we're tracking down a car charger for it.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #17
DisDancerina
Twitterpatted In The Spring!
I NEED HELP!! I have no clue what I'm doing

Your little boy is so cute! He could win a cuteness award!

DisDancerina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
m&j'smommy
Earning My Ears

We went to Home Depot this week to get some Mickey Heads to attach to the stroller and backpack!!! I also had to get some extras in different colors to make a countdown on DDs bedroom door. She is asking "How many sleeps until I go see my sister?"-she thinks Ariel is her sister!!
I love reading your pre-trip report, I am just the same with a million different lists, getting a haircut, etc. I think DH is getting annyoed becuase I keep talking about it. I keep buying things-travel size goodies, new cheap movies for the car ride, coloring books, I have a whole bag of stuff. Two weeks!!!
m&j'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
BearsBabe
Earning My Ears

That is an absolutely stunning idea to use the mickey heads for a countdown! Of course I am not taking my kids on my trip to DL this month, but I might use it for myself... lol. Thread hijack over, sorry. :D
BearsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDancerina View Post
Your little boy is so cute! He could win a cuteness award!
Aw, he'd say thank you, but he's busy eating oranges and pizza. Odd combo.

m&j'smommy, I can definitely see a Mickey countdown in the future... I got my haircut, it's cuter than it was before, so that's good. Now I just have to finish DS's haircut (he hates them, so I have to do them in stages, LOL) or buck up the change to have someone else do it. And then take the clippers to DH's hair, b/c I do a better job than the people he pays, and I'm quicker to find if he notices I missed a spot.

BearsBabe, no worries with thread take-overs.

As I mentioned, I got the haircut. And it looks like I have more clothes to take with me, b/c I lost enough weight recently (so I fit into older clothes). Whew! Now I need to get some good inserts for my athletic shoes, b/c really I should just get new shoes, but that's not in the cards, so I want to just "renew" them a bit.

DH needs a new swimsuit. Man I hope they are still at Target this close to Fall. They were last week, but this week is a new, you know, week!

We updated our WA-CA travel plans. We were going to leave Monday afternoon, get to Troutdale, OR, and stay the night at a McMenamins place. But then I realized that outside-of-Portland to Bay Area is still going to be a rather long one-day trip, especially with Boy-o.

So we discussed at great lengths, and have canceled that reservation, and found a Super8 that looks semi-decent (and has an indoor pool + continental breakfast) in Roseburg. We will deal with the McMenamins deficiency by having lunch or dinner at the McMenamins pub in Roseburg (that's how we chose Roseburg, b/c it was far enough down the state (aka close enough relatively to the Bay Area for the next day's drive) AND had a McMenamins).

Could I have written McMenamins any more times there?

Today we went shopping for travel-food, as well as some staples for the days we're at my dad's place. Since we recently came to the conclusion that DS just can't have high fructose corn syrup, today's snack-shopping involved quite a bit of reading of labels. Man oh man do they put that junk in everything.

OK I nearly went on a tangent on that, but I want to keep this as the pre-trippie, not my own personal journal, so I'll shush now.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-08-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Began this update last night. Somehow never posted it!

Started packing. Wish I could just pack us all up and live the next few days in pajamas, but DH's workplace does insist on his being dressed and going into work, and I have a baby shower to go to on Sunday.

Started to get some serious anxiety. I feel like I'm packing for and counting down to SO many things. If it were JUST Disney, if it were JUST a visit to my dad's, or JUST my reunion, that would be easy.

From today. Now DS is messing with my packing. Sigh.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-08-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:27 AM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The trip was almost destroyed before it started, AKA, we're getting insurance next time we do a package!

We're not in Anaheim yet; my HS reunion is tomorrow/today in San Jose.

But on our way out of hometown, we stopped at some stores to find an extension cord for the portable DVD player. Our car doesnt' have an alarm, and I felt yucky about leaving our Costco/WDTC package packet (with $530 worth of tickets) in the car. So I carried it on each stop. Finally went into the mall, DH carried DS. Got to Radio Shack, and they had the cord. DS wanted to come to me, so I gave the packet to DH. Then DS wanted to press a button while we paid, so DS went over to DH.

We left, got to the car, got settled, got on the highway. Not one exit had gone by, and DH asked if I knew where I had put the packet.

I did not know.

We pulled off the highway, went onto a frontage road. Looked. Frantic. Hands shaking, couldn't think (I'm cool as a cucumber during physical injury moments, in the midst of bleeding and such, but I was a basket case for this). DH kindly (ha!) tried to blame it on me...I let him know that since NEITHER of us knew where it was or who had it last, that was inappropriate.

DH suddenly realized it might be at Radio Shack. We took off like we were on the space shuttle. I tried to call RS, but for a minute just stared at the phone and receipt as though I read no English and had no voicebox. Stunned, thinking of our vacation just going down the drain.

Started calling but they were busy (in this day and age? Radio Shack? had their line busy?). Got the number for Costco Travel and tried to call them, to see if they noted our ticket numbers to see if they could be canceled and we could get them re-issued once we got there, but went through the phone tree at least 3 times without hearing a single word. Finally gave up.

Got to the mall. I was dropped off at the closer entrance, and DH was to drive to our parking spot and retrace steps. I ran through the mall. I got to RS. I looked in.

I saw the packet, just sitting on the counter!

Now normally I'm a quiet, take-your-turn, ask politely, don't butt in front of the line, sort of girl, but this time I pushed my way in front of the guy at the counter, GRABBED the package, said "thank goodness". And then looked through the packet in front of them. Yes, making it OBVIOUS that I was making sure everything was there, not caring one little bit if they realized I was casting aspersions on their characters...

It was all there.

While I was pawing through it, I heard the clerk, who was on the phone, start talking. To a credit card company. Saying something about the customer, their credit card, that the name wasn't exactly right or the ID didn't match, or something like that, and could they verify that he was the card holder... YES! A possible scammer, right in front of my packet containing my tickets!!!!!!!

I booked it out of there, calling DH on the phone (he had JUST parked which shows you how fast I ran through the mall) to let him know all was well.

Got to the car. Noticed my lips had gone numb from the stress of it all. My legs didn't feel so good, a bit jelly-ish. DH's heartrate was a bit high.

And all the while our 3 year old just watched his DVD and talked to himself. He's such a good little traveler.

It has all worked out. I put the tickets in a zippered section of my 3-sides-zippered tiny purse that I have been wearing everywhere (not taking it off). There has been no loss of tickets.

But next time I'm making photocopies of the tickets (assuming we get tickets in the future...not this year b/c we're upgrading to APs) and getting trip insurance if we get a package deal in the future.

Interesting start!!!!!!!!!!!

And that doesn't even mention the swim trunks we ordered for catalog pickup at JCPenney. The ones with color-change fabric. We picked them up today, went for a swim at night, and as we were drying off in the exercise room area, noticed that the color-change involved the color-block section developing a print of NAKED women (like the silver ladies one sees on trucker mudflaps sometimes), and a weird, almost Nightmare Before Christmas skull face on the print section of the fabric.

NOT APPROPRIATE! And more importantly, NOT MENTIONED on their website. And not OK for Paradise Pier's pool. It only took three JCPenneys reps (the second one insisted they sold no such thing and she didn't have a clue where he bought them, but it certainly wasn't from their catalog pickup department here in San Jose) until we got one who could hear the problem and FIX the problem. He'll be picking the replacements (and returning the naughty ones) up at the Penney's at the Village @ Orange, the second day into our DL trip, which is a bit of a bummer, but he just could NOT wear those in front of our 3 year old, in front of OTHER kids, or really, even if he were all alone in a pool. He just feels they are inappropriate for a married father (but even if you were a 22 year old single man, I doubt you'd be picking up many women, wearing naked women on your trunks )
Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 AM   #23
momshadow
Mouseketeer

Talking

Wow,
great of JCP to give a complete discription of the shorts. I have teenage boys what if I had bought those for them? Its bad enough that Ive bought them The Big flag shorts from old navy. But really my DH would have been so red faced that I dont know what we would have done. I pretty shure it would have included a peace of my mind and I cant afford to loose any more of that! Sounds like God was watching over those ticks. I hope that the rest of the trip is full of Disneys wonderful moments.
momshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 AM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quick rundown from Monday the 17th.

Left Santa Cruz around 9am. Stopped at two rest areas and at Andersen's for split pea soup (totally vegetarian, and delicious).

That's it.

No real traffic, even LA was breezy.

Checked in at 7pm.

WHAT? Why did it take SO long?????!!!!! We never did find out.

What was excellent, however, was that they upgraded us to DCA view way up high.

And she asked us if we were celebrating anything, and the answer was yes, our anniversary. She disappeared for a bit, and came back with 6 balloons (pink and red) for us, and two balloons (purple and blue) for DS (who is 3 and therefore nnnnneeeeeeeeeds balloons).

Also, she stated outright that our little white charge slip (for some reason I was always under the impression that it was a big piece of paper but it isn't) gets us in for Early Entry and let us know what dates it would work for (we'll have 2). Whew!

Rather than trying for half an hour at DL, we lazed around, swam for a bit. Got cleaned up and went into DTD, where DS requested Rainforest Cafe. He ate almost an entire kid's cheese pizza, which, while not *astonishing*, was more than ever in one sitting for him.

We shared the nacho appetizer (without meat), and it was DELICIOUS. Highly recommended.

DTD in the evening is lovely. DS said, while at RFC, that he wanted to stay there for (while putting up the correct number of fingers for each number) "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" days. Conveniently, that's just about how many days we're staying.

After wandering and getting past the arcade successfully, DH and DS watched some cartoons in their kid's viewing room. Very cute.

I like the classic cartoons on the TV, though I'm not a huge fan of Snow White's voice on the "princess story time" show on the cartoon station. Augh, too high...almost worse than Joey Lauren Adams in Chasing Amy...and if you knew me, you'd know that that is NOT a compliment...

I won't get into it all, but the halls on floor 10 smell like old cigarette smoke, and I went into a *freaky asthma/throat closing/fell asleep so fast DH thought I had passed out* thing when we got back from dinner...and I'd love to know if it is going to happen again.

Oh, and I LOVE the pool. Love love love.

Except for the throat/lung problem I had a little bit ago, I'm really liking this hotel!

Though I will be very happy to actually get INTO a park tomorrow. Er, today.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-28-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Am up early (on Wednesday the 19th) b/c my nose is running and I'm coughing, and my lungs are tight. Classic cigarette smoke reaction for me, gol darnit. My immune system was negatively "primed" to have reactions for this visit, due to the first week of our trip, staying with my family and all their indoor pets, in the woods (and they seem to be allergic to dusting their house). Otherwise I'd likely be withstanding the allergen bombardment better, but I was coming from a weaker place from the moment we stepped foot into the hotel.

Wonder if anyone thought of the strangeness of putting a smoking section in a narrow corridor on the way to the Tomorrowland train. Did not appreciate that one! The way the one over near Matterhorn is positioned seems more convenient for those who partake to get to, and it's easier for those of us who do not to avoid it. Wonder why they didn't try to find something like that for that area, and, if they couldn't make the space, wonder why they did it in the way they did it.

We saw SO many happy children and parents yesterday (Tuesday the 18th), it was wonderful! If they were having as easy a time getting around and onto rides as we were, no wonder! Though of course there were some meltdowns...our son (and nearly us!) included. But that was mainly due to exhaustion (I solemnly swear that we WILL take a mid-day break today, no matter how tempting it is to say "just one more ride").

I can do something more "reportish" later, but right now I'm typing in a nearly pitch black room (other than my screen) and I can't find my notes. Oh yes, notes. la la la....

I learned that I truly dislike Dole Whips and Floats yesterday! Bleah! The guys liked them, but not I!

This morning we have the Lilo/Stitch b'fast.

Figured I should actually put a report here for that Tuesday!

Here is Eamon, being woken up by Mickey Mouse. I was already dressed and ready to go, which is soooooo unlike me you can't even believe it.

Cool fountain where the security line "end" was when we got up to it.

Pin the PPH front desk person gave us at check-in.

We had EE that day, and we planned to use it for Fantasyland. Although I have been reading here for ages now, it was as though as soon as I got to the property, I forgot everything. Including the best way to get into FL. Through the castle sounds right, right? But NO ONE was going through it, and I started to worry that everyone knew something I didn't know, so I started following the herd going to the right of the castle (but left of/beyond the Astro Orbiters entrance to Tomorrowland). Well, of course, that's a good way to get to Nemo, and at the last minute we decided to go for Nemo instead of FL.

Good decision, it turned out! Despite being held up by character sightings on entry to the park, we were there, in and through the line, on one of the first round of subs, and off the ride, by 9:30 (EE started at 9). Excellent!

Then to Autopia, which I hadn't been on since I was a child. In '05 we were set to go on it, but DS refused to sit on the seat, so we couldn't ride. Last year it was down for refurb. It was fun! I liked the "offroad" part.

I was wearing a Mickey postcard print dress that day. Except for Astro Orbiter later, I loved wearing a dress! So comfy! But I think bike shorts under it might have saved me some modesty and, er, thigh problems by the end of the day.

On Autopia.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-28-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #26
Crazy4Disney72
DIS Veteran

Sounds like besides the funky smelling hallway and bad smoke reaction, you are having a good time! Thank goodness your tickets were still there at Radio Shack...I read your account and felt nervous for you and then relief when they were there!

I hope the Lilo & Stitch breakfast was good....I just called today to make a PS for that for November 19 so I'll be looking for details!

Enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks for the little updates, it's fun to read 'live' DL TR's!

18 trips to WDW, 7 trips to DL
Crazy4Disney72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I have moved the entry that WAS in this spot to later.

Continuation of the 18th.

By the way, we really liked Nemo. Very cute, and also very small. I could see why a person would have an issue going into that sub. Hmm, come to think of it, I never saw a line for the alternative viewing area! Hmm.

Off to Tomorrowland, where we had a sighting of Buzz! Most excellent. However, we saw that Space Mtn had a 5 minute wait, which caused a dilemma. DH insisted I go on SM while he and DS wait in line. I took him up on that offer, and in doing so missed DS's first true character interaction, as well as his first ride on the Buzz ride this trip.

We had no autograph book, nor a reason to think it would be needed, but Eamon got peer-pressured, and DH did too (DH has a case of the "I wants" only slightly lower than DS, by the way). But we never saw Buzz again, so we have no signature for him in the book we bought later. And DH mysteriously refused a CM's kind offer to get Buzz on the "phone" and get his sig, while we were at Woody's Round-Up...silly DH!

Portrait of a mudda', by DS, age 3.

After Buzz, the shopping began. Then he desperately NEEDED me to take a picture of his new Incredibles phone.

I think we went on Buzz 3 times in a row.

I do not like Astro Orbiters! Too tilty!

Rancho del Zocalo (or whatever it's called!) for lunch. DS had the bean burrito, and DH and I shared the soft tacos Monterrey, with fajita veggies. And the three of us shared a tres leches cake slice. Fairly good, and I presented everyone with the pins I previously bought on eBay.

My notes are ALL the way across the room and I'm coughing, so I might have to add later, yet again.

Went to POTC. Here's the huge, enormous line.

This year, DS did NOT NOT NOT like POTC. Yet still wanted to BE a pirate after we were done, and indicated he would like to eat "in" the pirates ride (excellent).

We indulged the first request right then and there.

That sword lights up, is glow in the dark, and makes a sword-fighting noise when a button is pressed. Strangely, it kept "falling" and "breaking" while DH was looking at it, behind DS's back (with pocketknife in DH's hand to unscrew the battery compartment). DS never noticed the weight difference from the times it worked to the times it didn't...thank goodness.

After POTC we noticed some crazy-short Indy waits, so I went on while the boys went on Jungle Cruise twice, and then we switched. Then we tried the Dole Whip and Float, I didn't like them. Went back over to FL, the boys went on Carrousel and Dumbo, Tea Party, Alice, and Matterhorn (which DS hated).

Eamon showed the Mad Hatter his new pirate hat.

Then we got on the train from Tomorrowland to get to Main Street to get back to the hotel. When we came down the stairs, it was Pluto.

DS thought it was HILARIOUS, and a little bit wrong, the way Pluto set his new autograph book to sign it.

A kid just under 40 inches hits the characters in a very weird place, when giving bear hugs. No picture needed, you can imagine. Most of our pictures have DS with his arms around upper legs, face planted just below where a navel would be...must be weird to be, er, be friends with, a character.

Then a repeated problem happened, where DS just didn't understand when HIS interaction was over. The characters are cool with it...Pluto pretended to steal him away, taking his hand and walking off...but still, it must get old for them!

Got back, we might have gone for a swim (might not have, don't have my notes in hand), but I know we went to dinner at PCH Grill. DH and I shared the cheese fries (at the time they were fine, but in memory, bleah) and DS did the Pluto's pizza where the kids get a chef's hat and put the sauce and cheese on themselves. Good pizza, good time, but we were EXHAUSTED.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-29-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #28
daffidyll
Mouseketeer

Hi Bumbershoot....I've been MIA for awhile on here....glad to hear you finally made it to DL!!! Wow....guess my trip will be coming around the corner! I'm enjoying reading your report!!
daffidyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 AM   #29
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We're back from our epic journey at long last. No brain is present to write tonight.

Sunday was insanely busy. Saturday wasn't much better. The weekdays were so much better.

We did nowhere near all of what we wanted to do. We did quite a bit, however.

Loved DCA, want to spend more time there.

DS's pirate hat was stolen from the stroller, but everything was made right in the end.

Next trip I will budget for food MUCH better.

I liked PPH, but when it comes to value (which could change if I had the AP concierge rate that was out while we were there), HoJo was better.

The cheese pizza throughout the park was very good, but WHY is just the pizza from Daisy's Diner so much more than the pizza meal elsewhere? Weird.

And why is ToonTown so much hotter? Well, except for last Saturday.

DS didn't like POTC this time, nor did he like Matterhorn or the TT coaster. He did, however, love the Teacups.

That's all I can think of right now. More once my brain has returned to my head!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #30
DisDancerina
Twitterpatted In The Spring!
I NEED HELP!! I have no clue what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
We're back from our epic journey at long last. No brain is present to write tonight.

Sunday was insanely busy. Saturday wasn't much better. The weekdays were so much better.

We did nowhere near all of what we wanted to do. We did quite a bit, however.

Loved DCA, want to spend more time there.

DS's pirate hat was stolen from the stroller, but everything was made right in the end.

Next trip I will budget for food MUCH better.

I liked PPH, but when it comes to value (which could change if I had the AP concierge rate that was out while we were there), HoJo was better.

The cheese pizza throughout the park was very good, but WHY is just the pizza from Daisy's Diner so much more than the pizza meal elsewhere? Weird.

And why is ToonTown so much hotter? Well, except for last Saturday.

DS didn't like POTC this time, nor did he like Matterhorn or the TT coaster. He did, however, love the Teacups.

That's all I can think of right now. More once my brain has returned to my head!
My Guess is... Toontown is much hotter because it is concealed in by Buildings and on the other side where the hills are is the place where the employees go, or people performing for Disney Magic Music Days!

DisDancerina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: