Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hedy,

What wonderful memories you must have of your grandmother at WDW....it was a real blessing to have been able to share that experience with her!

I'm also glad about the new camera...we expect lots of pix now!

Kathy
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #17
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
What wonderful memories you must have of your grandmother at WDW....it was a real blessing to have been able to share that experience with her!

I'm also glad about the new camera...we expect lots of pix now!

Kathy
That it was-she was beginning to "slip" mentally then, but if the worst thing you can say about me at age 92 is that I think I'm in France at Epcot, I'll be a happy lady. It was just wonderful to share my favorite place with my favorite person.

Abby-Thanks! The gorilla pod thingy is ordered, and I have a case, so I'm almost back to new.

Now we're just waiting for the camera to arrive so I can show off what I've got so far.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
CriminyCrafft
Mouseketeer

Hey there - great pre-TR! Did I read correctly that you're staying at the Dolpin? I'm staying there Oct 21-28 - I hope it's good. I read that it lacks Disney magic so I'm slightly worried but being walking distance to MGM and Epcot should make up for it!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #19
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Hey, Heather - good work so far! Great about your camera, too. I know I had to get a new camera for WDW. I got mine a couple of months ago and have been practicing, practicing, practicing! I'm thinking I will get a gorilla-pod, too. Do you find it easy to use ad Disney? And easy to carry?

Looking forward to more updates!

From another Heather...

Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
Hedy

First off, since I now have a Camera, you can see:
My personalized Maps (edited, because I'm paranoid)!
My touring bag (also edited):
The two pin lanyards I won off of eBay-I need to buy some more pins. I plan on attaching the pocket to the blue one using a keychain.

Now My intererary:
Saturday December 8
Take Jet Blue from Boston to Orlando. Wave goodbye to Mom, who is taking ? airline to Key West.
Take DME to POFQ. Try to remember I am going to POFQ and not POR. Check in. Do magical "Change into FL clothes" in POFQ restroom, sunscreen up, drop luggage at Bell stand* and go to MK.
Go to MK. Get Fast Pass for Splash Mountain. Then go to a) POTC (it was closed the last time I was there) or b) TTA. Ride Splash. Eat lunch at Pecos Bill's. Continue to Enjoy MK-maybe see Mickey's Philharmonic? Have dinner at Columbia Harbor House. Head home mid-evening ish. Retrieve carry-ons from bell services. Go to room.

Sunday, December 9
Grab breakfast at POFQ's quick service if I'm hungry. Purchase refillable mug. Take bus to Epcot. Wait for rope drop. Go to Soarin. Ride. Go to Test Track. Do the same. Go to Club Station Cool-drink. Head to World Showcase. See American Adventure, ride Maelstrom, ride new Mexico ride. Vow to bring trunks of Albrejes (those wooden animals) home when I go back to Oaxaca (I lived there for a semester in college, and let me tell you, WDW has quite the mark up on them...actually everywhere in the US does). Get Dad a new Viking Mickey pressed penny for his grave (they disposed of his last one, although it stood strong for over a year). Lunch at Marrkesh.
Head to Epcot resort area. Grab dinner someplace (Spoodles walk-up? Beaches and Cream?) Go to Jellyrolls meet up.

Monday, Decemer 10
EMH at AK. Ride EE, grab Kali fast passes. Ride Safari. Ride Kali. Hang out in DinoLand. Eat (Yak and Yeti? Tusker house? Will wait on reviews. I, for one, am very happy that AK is getting more table service-I prefer doing TS lunches, generally, and I'm sorry, but I don't see the magic in going to a place to eat I can drive 20 minutes from home and go eat at). Look at animals. See Parade. Head to MGM. Osbourne lights. See Fantasmic. Possibly grab past pass for RnR or ToT. Eat at ABC Commissary. Go back to POFQ

Tuesday December 11
Morning: open. I don't know what I'm going to want to do today. Maybe tour resorts.
Evening: MVMCP. I keep on flip-flopping on whether to ADR someplace at the MK or go with Counter service-as I don't have my ticket in hand for MVMCP. I like CS just fine, but maybe a TS would be more magical? Who knows. Perhaps DIS meet up-it depends on how my mood is.

Wednesday December 12
MGM. Hit ToT, RnR, Muppets, Backlot Tour, Lights Motor Action. Go back to POFQ. Take boat to DTD. Shop, browse, have dinner at PH. Go to PI.

Thursday December 13
I'm planning on having breakfast at Captain Cook's at the Poly and heading to MK. Meet MamaKat later in the day. This requires organization, as I will have her ticket and she will have a rental car. We have an ADR at Le Cellier for Dinner however.

Friday December 14
Whatever Mom wants. Dinner at Boma.

Saturday December 15
Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. Going home in the evening.

You may notice the lack of ADR's on my list. This is due to the fact that, as I mentioned above, I like to eat at TS restaurants for lunch. As everyone and their mom does the DDP these days, people do TS dinners. This enables me to generally walk-up or make an ADR that morning at my hotel for that day. Also, it's pretty easy to get seated as a solo traveler. The Le Cellier reservation is because MamaKat has stated that she would like to see Epcot at night with Xmas decorations. Boma's is because we both liked it when we went in 2002.
To do list:
*Call CRO with my flight info for DME.
*See that MamaKat makes her flight and rental car reservations.
*Call WDW (CRO?) to make sure that a)it's ok to use the 8 day PH I already have, even though I got a three day PH with our tickets and b)that it's ok for MamaKat not to be there at check-in.
*Buy Pins.
*Order MVMCP ticket
*Liberate Mickey Heads from Home Depot.
*Possibly get Room decorations. I'm planning on some Mickey Heads. I may also pack my Statue of Liberty Minnie, but I don't know (I brought her last time to take her to see Minnie at Chef Mickey's, and then didn't take her). I also may pack Mickey the DLR build a bear. Of course, Sunshine the 18 year old stuffed cat is coming (it's his 5th trip too), but he's, erm, rather loved looking so not exactly decoration material.
*Decide on what to get in terms of clothes. I'm debating whether to get a cute Xmas t-shirt at Target or get an MVMCP shirt once I get there. Of course, I'm getting some sort of Mickey Santa hat (I still regret not getting one from my Xmas week trip in 1996.)
*Take MK popcorn bucket o'change to Coinstar. I tried lifting it up yesterday-it's HEAVY, and I rarely use cash. I'm planning on splitting it between cash and a Disneyshopping e-gift certificate.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*

Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
Hedy

CriminyCrafft
Quote:
Hey there - great pre-TR! Did I read correctly that you're staying at the Dolpin? I'm staying there Oct 21-28 - I hope it's good. I read that it lacks Disney magic so I'm slightly worried but being walking distance to MGM and Epcot should make up for it!

Can't wait to read more!
I'm actually staying at POFQ. I was worried about that with the Dolphin, but I figured what you're thinking re walking to the parks.

hjd0411
Quote:
Hey, Heather - good work so far! Great about your camera, too. I know I had to get a new camera for WDW. I got mine a couple of months ago and have been practicing, practicing, practicing! I'm thinking I will get a gorilla-pod, too. Do you find it easy to use ad Disney? And easy to carry?

Looking forward to more updates!

From another Heather...
This is actually my Gorillapod's first trip-it's really small and light though, so I don't see it being a problem.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
abbybeth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
I plan on attaching the pocket to the blue one using a keychain.

To do list:
*Call CRO with my flight info for DME.
*See that MamaKat makes her flight and rental car reservations.
*Call WDW (CRO?) to make sure that a)it's ok to use the 8 day PH I already have, even though I got a three day PH with our tickets and b)that it's ok for MamaKat not to be there at check-in.
*Buy Pins.
*Order MVMCP ticket
*Liberate Mickey Heads from Home Depot.
*Possibly get Room decorations. I'm planning on some Mickey Heads. I may also pack my Statue of Liberty Minnie, but I don't know (I brought her last time to take her to see Minnie at Chef Mickey's, and then didn't take her). I also may pack Mickey the DLR build a bear. Of course, Sunshine the 18 year old stuffed cat is coming (it's his 5th trip too), but he's, erm, rather loved looking so not exactly decoration material.
*Decide on what to get in terms of clothes. I'm debating whether to get a cute Xmas t-shirt at Target or get an MVMCP shirt once I get there. Of course, I'm getting some sort of Mickey Santa hat (I still regret not getting one from my Xmas week trip in 1996.)
*Take MK popcorn bucket o'change to Coinstar. I tried lifting it up yesterday-it's HEAVY, and I rarely use cash. I'm planning on splitting it between cash and a Disneyshopping e-gift certificate.
Love that blue lanyard! I hope I can find one like that down there, it's great Like the Cheshire Fan Club pin too ... I think I'm getting in to the whole pin thing, it's a dangerous, sliding slope...

yay! lists! I have to decide what, if any, stuffed animals will be accompanying me on our trip...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #23
KathyRN137

Heather,

I think that taking a morning or afternoon to tour the different resorts is a great idea! They are absolutely gorgeous when done up for Christmas!

Have you considered doing the Yuletide Fantasy Tour with Mom?? You get to see the theme parks and some of the resorts and get a behind-the-scenes peek at what goes into all the fab decorations, like the giant gingerbread house at the GF! Sounds like fun!

Kathy
Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #24
maiziezoe
DIS Veteran

Great PTR!!

I took a solo trip when I was 21-ish. It was great to do what I wanted when I wanted!

...and I ate ice cream for lunch every day and no one rolled their eyes at me!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #25
iggbees
DIS Veteran

hi! i think i remember you posting once that you went to an all women's college in ma? i went to mt. holyoke and i still live in the area and go to umass for grad school now.

anywhoo, have a great time! you're going to love the gorilla pod, it's fantastic and i got so many great shots with it when my boyfriend and i went back in jan. it's really small and light and i had no problem finding a place to prop it for different shots!

my flickr
Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #26
Hedy

KathyRN137-I've considered that tour, but even with my Disney Visa discount, it's still enough that we could other things with the money. Plus as my mom's only going to be there Thurs-Sat, we're going to squeeze in a lot already.

maiziezoe

iggbees I graduated from Smith! Small world. What are you studying at UMASS?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #27
Hedy

Can we get a double digit dance?
99 days, baby! Woo hoo! I remember when I was excited when that ticker in my siggy said 10 months.
In other news, I have procured retractable sharpies at an excellent price at Ocean State Job Lot. My flight down to Orlando went down $10, so I have that as a credit with Jet Blue.

Does anybody else experience Disney relativism? I'm not concerned about finding my mom's friends' place in NYC that we're staying at soon, even though I've been there once, am taking the subway and meeting up with MamaKat once I get there. I am, however, worried about MamaKat getting from where she drops her rental car off to meeting me in WDW.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #28
Abby's Dad
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Hedy;20573223]Can we get a double digit dance?
99 days, baby! Woo hoo! QUOTE]

I remember that double-digit thing - and I can't believe how fast the time has flown by! Gotta pack!
WDW: October 1976 - Offsite, January 1979 - CR, September of 2007 - POFQ, Christmas 2011 - CR, MNSSHP and F&W - October 2012 - AKV, Flower & Garden - April 2013 - BLT, and MNSSHP and F&W - October 2013 - BLT (our DVC home resort) AKV-Kidani.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #29
KathyRN137

Hedy,

Happy Double Digits!!

Kathy
Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #30
iggbees
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
iggbees I graduated from Smith! Small world. What are you studying at UMASS?
oh smith! cool! i LOVE northampton! yeah, it is a small world, especially since nobody seems to know about our little women's colleges. haha.

i'll be studying molecular and cellular biology (i graduated from mhc with a degree in biochemistry). what did you study at smith?

i sang once at smith for a 5 college choral festival thing my first year at mhc (spring of 2002). i've also been there a couple of times for seminars and my boyfriend gets to hang out with the social work people over there for his PhD project at umass. it's a lovely campus.

wooo for double digits! not much longer now!

my flickr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: