Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #31
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

We used the dog tags from the Wallmart Machines and they have even more cute ones now. We just put the childs first name so he/she could be "calmed" and "mom's cellphone # is".

So my dd's was a pink star with "Jane"
Mommy's cellphone is xxx-xxx-1010

They are cute but obvious enough that the CMs will definately know that the charm/(dog tag) contains ID info. We just tied it on the shoelace and the kids loved them. My sil said they now have disney shapes

TJ

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #32
tjlovespooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilouwho View Post
I just ordered from tottoos.org for my 17 month old. Hopefully they stick on well.
We used the tottoos this past May for our then 17mo DS, worked great. We'll use them for all future crowded outings(fairs, amusement parks, zoo, etc). We didn't put any names on the tottoos, just "If I am lost, please call 000-000-0000"
It's not a good idea to put your child's name or your own on whatever form of ID you plan to use. Using names can lead to an idividual being able to gain unwarranted trust from your child, "Oh, hi Donny! I know your dad/mom." or "Your mom is Laura, right? I know her!" Scary but true, kids who are lost and scared may be more likely to go to a stranger that "appears" to not be such a stranger. Also, regardless of what form of ID being used please have it displayed somewhere a stranger doesn't need to invade your child's comfort zone. Think about it, I know that I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing a body search on another child to find a form of ID. Also, if your child should be able to display the ID info without having to take his/her eyes off of the person they are talking to. If the child needs to bend over to show off his/her shoes then a predator now has easy prey. On contrary if the child can show ID without taking eyes off of the stranger he/she will be better able/ready to run/shout if required. Again, tottoos require no more than the child to stick his hand out and show the phone#. They are what I intend to use for as long as I feel the need. I encourage others to consider ways in which their current form of ID could unintentionally aid in a stranger gaining a child's trust, and/or compromising their safety.
tjlovespooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #33
Nina
Mouseketeer

I just ordered bracelets for my kids from chicksandcubs.com . They come in a few different styles. I got a pink, a blue, & a camouflage
Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #34
overthemoon4mickey
Mouseketeer

We have done the Duct Tape and Sharpie. It has worked well for us in hot humid Texas. We stick it on the inside bottom of shirt...near hip and no amount of sweat has loosened it!

I actually helped 2 lost children ( brothers 8yo and 5 yo) at the Houston Zoo. The oldest brother was so scared he could not remember his mom's cell # and was crying so hard he was almost screaming. My girlfriend stood with my kids and hers while I walked in a loop (monkey area) with the boys looking for the mom. People just looked at me like I was strange or a bad mom with these crying boys. I kept yelling the mom's name and asking people to look for her and direct her in our direction. Meanwhile my friend is standing at the front of the exhibit with my kids and hers and there is yet another missing child. Mother is frantic! We had called zoo employees to help and they were completely clueless. Our zoo has two entrances at opposite ends of the zoo....SCARY!!! It took over 20 minutes but both kids got back ok! That day really scared myself and my DD. I learned that you can never trust a scared kid to remember important details like phone #'s and that you need to tell your kids THAT IF THEY EVER GET LOST .........LOOK FOR A MOM!!!! Something happens when you become a mom! You will take any child under your wing and protect them like you own! So now my DD and my DS know that when you are lost look for a MOM to help you!

Take care,
Becky
overthemoon4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #35
tlbwriter
Does this look infected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthemoon4mickey View Post
That day really scared myself and my DD. I learned that you can never trust a scared kid to remember important details like phone #'s and that you need to tell your kids THAT IF THEY EVER GET LOST .........LOOK FOR A MOM!!!! Something happens when you become a mom! You will take any child under your wing and protect them like you own! So now my DD and my DS know that when you are lost look for a MOM to help you!
That is so true. Tell your kids to look for a mom. Women are much more likely to actually stay with the child until its parents are found. And statistically, women are much less likely to be predators.

WDW: Grand Floridian Dec 2004
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2005
DL: Offsite July 2007
WDW: Beach Club Dec 2008
tlbwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #36
Mic_n_Min
Wishin' and Hopin' I was at WDW right now

We used a rubber bracelet worn on my dd's ankle during our last trip. We had our cell phone number on it (both mine and my mom's) so that one of us could be reached if needed. She forgot she had it on most of the time.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #37
LadyShea
DIS Veteran

I found some additional tattoos, that you write in the number with a special pen. http://tattooswithapurpose.com

After reading this whole thread, I decided to go with the tottoos.org and have already placed my order. Thank you for the suggestion!

My son loves "tatoos" , and will be happy to show it off to whomever.

Last edited by LadyShea; 08-15-2007 at 02:34 PM.
LadyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #38
DreamDelta
DIS Veteran

Love the custom bracelets Minniemouse07! I'm already planning to by a bunch in different colors for our trip next year in July! Thanks for the great tip!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #39
hmhs
Mouseketeer

Wow, so many ideas to choose from. I think I'm going to make it simple and print out a sheet of small address size labels on my computer with "If I"m lost call" and our cell numbers. I think I'm going to stick in on the upper back of his shirt, since someone mentioned CM's are not allowed to look inside clothing- it would make me feel better to have it in view anyway. Those type of stickers are pretty sticky so I don't think they'll fall off (i'm going to bring extras to the park anyway since I have to print out a sheet of 30 at a time.

Thanks for so many awesome ideas! I bet a lot of people don't think to do this until its too late.
hmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #40
mommy2paris
DIS Veteran

After weighing all the options, we too may also just go with a sticker on the back shoulder. I know our dd, and regardless of what we use, bracelet, anklet, tattoo, etc...She will just fuss about it or pick at it all day. So, the sticker on the back shoulder can be put on while we're getting her dressed, and she'll probably never know it!!
Good luck to everyone!
mommy2paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: