Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #91
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

First I will start by saying the bad I had thought about ending this TR by talking about our Air Tran flight. It was really bad and very demeaning ... I have received an apology from Air Tran and a 50 dollar credit for each of us which I will never use. Honestly they could have offered us a free flight and I probably would have not used it either. I used to sing their praises but now I will discourage anyone dealing with a special need to fly elsewhere. The reason this is all I want to say about it and I am saying it now is because I do not want this TR to end on such a sour note. We had a magical and very blessed trip and I am trying to forget about the negatives that came once we came back to the real world. Now onto the good part.

Today was DTD to start. My husband let me know on Sunday night if he has to drive home from Dallas tomorrow night he was not getting up early. He was sorry but he WAS sleeping in and I could deal because it was just DTD lmao. DD was on the fence. If you cannot tell she normally sides with him so I did not expect her to head out with us. Alex was another ball game the child without had a doubt had dreams of Goofy's candy Shoppe. He had been saving his snack credits all week awaiting his trip to Goofy's. We get up Monday morning and get dressed. DD of course rolls over and growls at me that she is sleeping in spend her credits for her. Alex was awake as soon as I got up. We caught the first bus to DTD ... anyone seeing a trend here lol. In hind site we could have slept another half hour which would have done us both a lot of good because when we got there we were still a half hour from opening. So we window shopped and made our game plan. Our time was limited and before the shops even opened Alex was making me promise that next time we would have more time here. I was already agreeing seeing how much we were going to miss. We decided to hit Goofys, the pin gazebo, World of Disney, and then the Christmas shop.

Not so patiently waiting for Goofy's to open.

Well we were the first customers in the door. First we stopped and talked to a CM about what you could really buy with snack credits. So we found out the definite rules and grabbed a basket and headed off. I have never seen him that excited lol. He had a BLAST spending the credits; we had over 20 to spend. The phrase "Kid in a candy store" has a whole new meaning to me now. I wish I would have gotten some pictures of him inside but we were busy picking things out. He was a bit more laid back than typical Alex but was still really careful about what he chose. Then he saw the make your own counter because I wanted some rice crispy treats to take home. The CM's were awesome. She got down on his level and showed him how to fill out a card and he was an old pro at it quickly. He ordered the dipped marshmallows on straws for himself and his 2 best friends. The child got his money worth because he got every sprinkle she would put on them on it. While she was making his order he picked out more snacks for his sister and himself. He came across the Mickey pretzels and flipped out! He said Mom if you get those will you make your chocolate covered pretzels at Thanksgiving with them? I of course agreed and he was happy as could be about it. He did really well making sure he had snacks that would last a while and not expire too. The kids actually still a month later have a few Disney snacks in their boxes. When they were done making his snacks he talked to the CM's for a long time about what a cool job they had and then gave them CM appreciation cards. We headed up front with our overflowing basket to check out. The CM at the counter was amazed we were using the DDP to pay for it all lol. We spent close to 100.00!! With our bags in tow we headed back out ... next time Goofys will be our last stop not our first. We headed to the Pin Gazebo which was pretty dead still because it was so early and it was a Monday so we did not stay long. We left and found World of Disney. We spent a while playing in the water with Stitch and watching people it sprayed and not know where it was coming from.

WOD is awesome. I think Alex was a bit overwhelmed by it though. We did not find anything that he wanted to buy so we headed back out. That is when I passed the kitchen shop and had we had time I would have gone in. It is DEFINATELY on my to do list next trip. Plus I plan on saving money for it; my kitchen is Disney so I can only imagine how much I could spend in that shop lol.

Alex is a big big Christmas decor person so he wanted to hit the Christmas shop as well. Walking in it took his breath away. He was constantly saying Mom go over there Mom look at this Mom can we do that? Disney plus Christmas and he was definitely sold. lol I took lots of pictures and got the card so we could order stuff from home after DH had had an opportunity to see it all. (We still have not ordered because we have been so blasted busy lol).

My husband called at this point and asked where we were? He mentioned we needed to check out and into Air Tran. He had also called and gotten all the information for Beaches and Cream and if I would hurry we would be there early enough to not wait. I did not realize how long Alex and I had spent looking around!

So we headed back. He and I talked and watched the sites of Disney the whole way back. It was one of those moments you want to etch forever in your mind. We talked about nothing but it was a wonderful talk it was like no one else was on that bus but us.

When we got back James had all the luggage packed. DD went through to make sure she approved of what he got and was very excited. She I think was wishing she would have gone. No big surprise there. We packed up our snacks and called bell services. I am cheap but there is no way I was lugging all that luggage downstairs lol. We got checked out and the guy from Disney said we needed to check in at the Air Tran gate when we got there to move Alex up because they had us on the 21st row. We showed them what was checked and what was not and they put our carry ons separate. That check in counter for the airport is to say the least painless! I love that feature.

Next stop was Beaches and Cream. We had ressies at Le Cellier for lunch as well but I called and cancelled them because no one felt like a heavy meal. Plus the kids really wanted to try the ice cream! We were very lucky and only had a 15 minute wait. She put us in an area that Alex could stay in his chair since it is such a small place we were afraid there would not be enough room. Beaches and Cream is AWESOME! I highly recommend it! The burgers were great, they wait staff was amazing. I dropped a spoon and she literally heard it dropped headed over picked it up and brought me another one ... immediately. The kids were more than ready to order ice cream when the time came!

Alex got a banana split. He was so excited they had them because they are his favorites.

Shel ordered the Fudge Mudslide, brownie and Oreo cookies ... she was sold!

James and I both had he No Way Jose. James loves peanut butter sweets and I had heard so much about it I had to try it. It was AMAZING!

We left B&C and headed to Epcot. We did a leisurely stroll to Epcot, taking in all the sounds and smells. We had missed a few things over in the WS so we decided to hit it again. Shel had wanted a parasol from France so that was first on our list. She got it and happily danced for a while under it walking around ... note she calls ME a dork. We took it slow because the heat was blistering. Winding in and out of shops and picking up Kidcot stuff for the kids to color at home. We quickly drank up my reserve water and ended up buying some water. It was well worth the extra costs lol. We decided we needed to hit someplace cool with a short line and there was Maelstrom. I freely admit this is a dorky ride but I love it lol. Most importantly to everyone it is LONG and COOL! It was sad though because I knew it was our last ride at Disney. I found myself slowing down walking back trying to slow down time. We hit one more shop on the way out of Epcot and the alarm on my phone went off to signal it was time to start heading back. We picked up a few things in the shop. Including my husband buying a set of Mickey ice cube trays which he still adores. He told me yesterday that I needed to put some Mickey's in the ice maker so when we got ice out of the fridge door we could have hidden Mickey's. No he is not a Disney Dork really lmao.

We took the boat back and barely spoke. I watched my children and husband doing what I was doing trying to take it all in. Trying to burn the images in our mind. I can play that trip back over and over in my mind. We were the most connected as a family that we had ever been I think at that point. All just enjoying not wanting it to come to an end. We headed inside BC and got our carry ons and prepared to wait for our bus. James and I found chairs in the lobby and sat taking in the sites and sounds of BC. The kids went pin trading around the lobby. James turned to me and said I wish we could stay just a few more days. Something he has never done before ... he is always ready to head back to the real world from vacation. I think that is because we are so near it on other vacations, at Disney it really is a whole new world. You are so separated from the harsh realities of the world around it. I sat there thinking about what a magical place this truly is. It is the only place that everyone seems to slow down in. In the real world if you miss the elevator you are irritated. Here if the doors are closing you slow your walk and find something to look at while you wait. There is no hurry there is no urgency to get to your next spot. Here you have time to take a deep breath and smell ALL the roses. Here you can have a long talk with your child just about life and how wonderful it is, about how much they love you and you love them. There are no pressures of the real world peering over your shoulder. Disney is the most magical place on earth ... there is no doubt. For those that do not think so they did not slow down long enough to find all its treasures.

I sit here thinking about what a difference a year makes in ones life. A year ago I never thought I would go to Disney, in less than a year we have been on 2 trips. Last year we were struggling to make ends meet, this year we were able to plan a surprise birthday trip for our children. A year ago I wanted another child but did not ever see it happening, this year I am on the brink of adopting 4 children. Last year we thought Alex would never walk any better than he does now. This year we are looking at a surgery that has allowed many children who crawled before to walk without any extra help. We went to Disney and I firmly believe we brought the magic back home with us. For that I will be eternally grateful and my heart will always be intertwined with a mouse.

Thank you for the opportunity to share our lives with you. I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed reliving and telling it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #92
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

well let me first say it has been a pleasure getting to know you and your family through your tr. it seems like you really did have a magical time.

Best of luck with the adoption. The new house sounds great and I hope in a year you are able to buy maybe.

Sorry to hear your not going to Disney next year but totally understandable.

Good luck with all of his medical coming up.

I almost flew Airtran then went Southwest. You should have posted it so others know. When a company does wrong always tell others is my motto.

Hope to see you around here and best wishes to you and your family.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #93
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

Thanks Scott. I will sure I will see you more on your thread once life settles down a bit. Things have just been very crazy, and I am sure they are going to get worse before it gets better. DH keeps telling me well maybe everything will go well and we can go back to Disney next Dec. I think he has caught the bug as bad as me lol.

I know what you mean about telling people about my experience, and I still may do so. It was just such a bad experience ... suffice it to say the lady at the gate was beyond rude to me. I actually cried and I only cry when I am really really angry. Southwest on the other hand is amazing and we adore them. So moral of the story ... flly Southwest lol. DH definately told me that would the last time he would be flying Airtran.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #94
scottny
You better have crackers

It kinda sounds like you will be at Disney next year if DH has his way.

I have never flown either so this is first time on Southwestern.

we shall see.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #95
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

Scott I do not know how I missed your post sorry. I hope you like Southwest. Are you flying out of JFK or Laguardia? We flew into Lag last year when we went to NJ to Bookends for the John Cena signing for DS's bday.

Update:

Well we as of about 11 this morning we are officially foster parents. I have not figured out if it is a roller coaster or a train wreck yet lol. My best friend says they want to see how serious you are during the licensing process and that it will get better. We shall see.

CASA and the kids Attorney had basically told us that as long as we got licensed we would have no problems getting the kids. As of Monday that changed. We are now in the running with 15 other families in the state of Texas and are being "reviewed". I do not have high hopes, because of how far we are away from the kids. I think they will pick someone that CPS does not have to drive as far to check in on them. We did agree though as long as they make the decision with the kids best interest in mind we will be happy with whatever the outcome. There is a reason we have been through all of this and I just have to believe it will show itself eventually.

I had a long talk with our worker this morning and told her that if we did not get these kids we would NOT be taking four. They still have us licensed for four foster children 0 to 14. She asked me what we really wanted and wrote down 18 months to 10 years legal risk kids, then reminded me she would call me on anything that fit our license and that I would have to tell her no. I reminded her that we wanted races that are typically harder to place since we do not mind what race the child is and there are so many that do. I was amazed that she told me they typically get Caucasian children. (the rest of Texas from what I hear has the opposite problem) James said if the 2 boys that are supposed to have our front room do not get it no one is and he is going to make it a game room. Course I still have room in the other 2 bedrooms for 3 children, which she reminded me of lol. We went over the fact that we did not want a placement until after Alex's surgery so she has down to start calling us on Nov 15Th. We also had a talk about if the placement of 4 did not happen we would be going to Disney in Dec of next year so whatever child we get around that time will need to come with permission to go because I am not leaving a child with respite while we go. She agreed and noted it.

Anyway I know a lot of you knew what was going on with us and I just wanted to update everyone on where we were on the ride.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #96
scottny
You better have crackers

neither, I am flying to West Virginia and picking up my cousins then driving to louisville KY and that is where we fly on Southwest.

Sounds like it can go either way with the children so I will be thinking of you all. Keep us informed of what happens.

You said as of 11 this morning ur foster parents, r the kids with u now?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #97
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
neither, I am flying to West Virginia and picking up my cousins then driving to louisville KY and that is where we fly on Southwest.

Sounds like it can go either way with the children so I will be thinking of you all. Keep us informed of what happens.

You said as of 11 this morning ur foster parents, r the kids with u now?

Oh ok. We flew on Airtran into Laguardia. I was thinking you were in NYC ... please tell me I am not losing my mind lmao.

Yes it could go either way.

As of right now we do not have kids except for our 2 bios. We are just officially liscensed by the state of Texas now. She asked us if we wanted a 14 year old girl this afternoon and I had to tell her no. I can not imagine having 2 14 year old girls in my home at the same time!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #98
scottny
You better have crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_mckenna View Post
Oh ok. We flew on Airtran into Laguardia. I was thinking you were in NYC ... please tell me I am not losing my mind lmao.

Yes it could go either way.

As of right now we do not have kids except for our 2 bios. We are just officially liscensed by the state of Texas now. She asked us if we wanted a 14 year old girl this afternoon and I had to tell her no. I can not imagine having 2 14 year old girls in my home at the same time!
I am in NYC. I have to pick kids up and instead of them traveling up here alone I will go to them and then fly out. They have never flown so don't know how they will be.
Oh ok, now i understand it. That would be scary having two 14 yr old girls there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: