Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Iridessa_lala
Earning My Ears

Cool From rags to riches pre trip report:

Hey guys welcome to my very first trip report or pre trippie. This have been a long time coming from the numerous of times I have browsed these threads. I have been to Disney World 2 times before so that will make 08 the 3rd and 09 the 4th. My previous trips was a disaster with a capital D . Seriously we should have gotten one of those shirts ĎWe just came from hell and all we got was this stupid t-shirtí shirts because thatís how we felt afterwards. We are not blaming it on anything Disney just the Gauntlet we had to go through just to get there and have a good time. That brings me to why Iím here. Iím looking forward to planning the daddy of all trips. Also meeting new intelligent adorable people along the way (thatís where u come in) . Enough about u lets make this about me . Iím from the capital of VA. I like to think of myself of glamourous and fabulous. My friends like to compare me to Kimora Lee Simons but I think they are tryin to tell me something knowing how she can be annoying at times . I love fashion, modeling and acting. I used to be the Sharpay (sp?) of my school and my parents put me into modeling school when I was little. I got to meet some celebs and got to travel which was cool but thats all I really got from it. I will have pics up of myself sooner or later. I have to buy a new digital camera which Iím so excited about because well its buying something. That is something else u will notice about me Iím a shopaholic. Worse Quality: Cant save up money for life. Best quality: Iím a very good friend I have 3 BFFs if that tells u anything about my personality. I love to listen and learn from other people. Iím currently engaged to one of my BFFs set to marry next year. He may be attending the 2008 trip and definatly be attending the 2009 trip because well that will be one sad honeymoon without him . So youíll be meeting him later so back to ME. About my name Iridessa _lala Iridessa is one of tinks best friends I just stole her for this occasion. I think she is gorgeous and since a lot of people is Tink I just wanted to be different. U all can call me LaLa which is the name my friends call me in real life your choice. Anyways I love Disney because I grew up Disney. Most thing I remember from childhood is watching Disney movies/sing along and never ever letting go of my baby Mickey in his cute onesie for nothing. Ok now for the people who r going on the trip with me in 08. My dad: this is his 3rd trip. He will be helping to navigate this trip as always. He is a super fun dad . You know those commercials of universal where the adult turns into a kid literally on the ride and stays like that while there? Well that is him inside of course. Even though I worry about him on intense rides because I have really bad nerves he gets on every possible ride there is. Very adventurous and outgoing. Always thinking of others before himself. Love him. My mother: She is much more laid back in Disney but can get a little uptight some times. If she cuts loose she can be your favorite person to be around. Sheís a take it or leave it kind of girl. My little cousinrincess: you might see me refer to her as LC when I start my trippie. She matures every second and is 9 yrs of age. Well this 2nd time to Disney from our last trip in 2002. She is a Disney Channel fanatic and can get anybody hooked on it how much she watches it. She even got my dad watching Zac and Cody on his own. Now that we got that out the way here is what I got planned for 08. Oh and you guys please feel free to post any comments, suggestions and questions good or bad. I have been through my share of bad Disney trips which I will share later. I think it will help other people to not make the same mistakes.
Coming up next: My Plans for this year Disney World Vacation and a preview of next year cruise. My fantastic 98 and 02 trip reports.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Iridessa_lala
Earning My Ears

Here is my intienery as of March:

Our dates are 21 of December 2008 thru 2 of January 2009. We will be driving sun.21-mon.22. Should be at Disney late on the mon.22 and checking in on tues.23

We are renting out a vacation home for our stay because we donít like to be underneath each other all the time. Plus with the price of two rooms we could actually save money by renting a home. And we could add more to our party without feeling over crowded.

Day 1 Tuesday23
Shopping and Orlando day.
Attractions- We have nothing planned but to go sight seeing. If you have any suggestions help me out here. Iím currently looking for shows we can go to in Orlando. I know for sure we have to get some Downtown Disney time in for shopping.
Restaurants: I want to try everything in Downtown Disney. I think everybody wants to go to Planet Hollywood again. I might get a sandwich from Earl of Sandwich for later. Mmm I canít wait.

Day 2 Wednesday24
Animal Kingdom Day/Christmas Eve
Top Attractions: Expedition Everest/ Kilo- Safari/ finding nemo/ Kali River/ Lion King/ Bugs Life/ Rafikiís Planet Watch/ Jungle Trek/ Parade
Restaurants: Breakfast Eat at Home. - Lunch Pizzafari - Dinner Boma

Day 3 Thursday25
Magic Kingdom Day/Christmas Day
Top Attractions: Everything but Hall of Presidents, Country Bears, Stitchís Escape and Tom Sawyer Island.
Restaurants: Breakfast- Crystal Palace. Early Dinner- Caseyís Corner or Cosmic Rayís.

Day 4 Friday26
Epcot Day
Top Attractions: Everything literally. We never have been to Epcot on our previous trips so we want to try everything at least once.
Restaurant: Breakfast- Either Fountain View Cafť or at home. Lunch- snacking around the world. Dinner- I was thinking about whispering canon at the Wilderness Lodge if we werenít full yet.

Day 5 Saturday27

MGM Day
Top Attractions: Tower of Terror- Rockin Roller coaster- Lights Camera Action Stunt Show- Muppet Show- Fantasmic- Little Mermaid-
Restaurant: Breakfast-Kona Cafť at the Polynesian Resort. Lunch- itís a toss up between Sci-fi Dine in and 50ís Primetime. I Just want to go 50ís Primetime for the dessert though.

Day6 Sunday 28
Top Attractions: Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.
Restaurants: I want to try some of the Citywalk restaurants on this day. Maybe Margaritaville or Mythos. I heard a lot of good reviews about these restaurants but never made a decision.

Day 7 Monday 29
Check out Day
Nothing to do but pack up and leave and we will most likely eat fast food so nothing interesting here. We have to leave in the wee hours of the morning too.

Day 8 Tuesday 30
On the Road Day
Nothing but open highway today. Fast food and left over snacks is on the menu for this day. We should be at home by early morning where we will nap and unwind before getting back on the road. Hopefully we wonít get too comfortable and be back on the road headed to New York City.

Day 9 Wednesday 31
In NYC Day
Hopefully we will be in NY at a reasonable time. I know there is going to be traffic like crazy and I have to do a lot more planning to pull this off I think but its worth a shot. We never have been to New York for new years so we donít know what to expect.

Thats all I have right now and I still have alot to do ahead of me. I want to do parasailing and the spa one day. I just dont know how Im going to fit it all in. Should I just scratch the NY plans and have an extra day at Disney? My family is starting to change there mind about the rental home. They think it will be more care free just to stay at a resort. It would be less travel and more park time for us. Plus that could mean mid day breaks since we're going to spend just one day in each park. That sold my mom right there.

Coming up: my previous trips to disney and pics from then.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Iridessa_lala
Earning My Ears

Trip Report from 08/1997

I donít remember every detail of this trip all I remember is things going bad all around me. We have ourselves to blame too because this trip was shotgun all the way. It was planned only a weeks ahead of time but even planning it a year ahead would not have saved it. My dad came up with the idea of taking me to Disney World out of the blue one day. He talked it up with my aunt and uncle and thatís when they thought it was a good time to take a vacation together. We NEVER go on big family vacations together so they thought Disney is the perfect place for some of us to go. I donít know I was too busy being shocked and excited that my dad is being serious about this. Well the next thing I remember is my dad renting two vans one for us (dad, mom, and I) and one for my aunt, uncle and two cousins. The first of series of unfortunate events started right before we left the house. They couldnít get together who was going and who was not going. My momís best friend kept saying she wants to go with her sons because they havenít done anything special for the summer so she wanted to treat her sons. My mom wanted to say no but she knew she would feel bad afterwards and wouldnít enjoy her trip so she said sure. Then my aunt called and said that my cousins really wanted there boyfriend and girlfriend to go with them. This was all fine with me the more the merrier and I just wanted to get to Disney. But may I remind u this was all when we were LOADING THE CAR to GO that these people decided they wanted to just pick up and leave with us. So we had to sit and wait with our bags packed in the hot car for everyone to pack their bags and get ready to go which just set us back even more. To top it off my cousins would change their minds every 5 seconds. These were MINI vans too and they were a lot smaller than they are now. With all of our luggage and a cooler in the back that limited our space even more.

With all 11 of us in our 2 mini vans we were finally on our way. The first thing that really ticked me off was one of my momís friendís sons. One of them was around 2 or 3 and the other was 10. The 2 year old never got on my nerves in fact he was so good I donít even remember him being there for most of the trip looking back. That is pretty good for a 3 year old. If it wasnít for the pictures I would have forgotten he even went. He was that quiet. It was her other son which for now on I will call him the Prince. Like I said it was very hard to get comfortable and go to sleep in the MINI van. All of us tried to stretch out without being on top of each other. My mom and dad were in the front and the rest of us were in the back with two back seat rows. The Prince started to complain that he wasnít getting his proper beauty rest in this van and needed to stretch out even more. I was already sharing a row with somebody either his mom or his little brother. He all of a sudden demanded for the back row to be only his and made his mom and little brother go sit with me in my SHORTER front row. So I had to sleep with a crook in my neck the whole way down to Florida while he got to chillaxe in the back row by himself. I put in my 2 cents with my mom and she just brushed it off and said I can get it coming back. Oh which I never happened.

The next thing I remember is us stopping somewhere in Florida. Incident # 3: We stopped to stretch our legs and to get directions at a convient store. My uncle started talking to this woman that was in the store and she gave us fool proof directions to DW. She was a huge help to us . Then we all got back into the car was pulling out. My dad went first because he is the best with directions. He is also a really safe driver especially out of state with a rental car. My uncle will speed through anything and not really think twice about it. We had a really hard time catching up with him throughout our drive until now. My dad was just about to turn out of the gas station into the road when all of a sudden we heard a loud BOOM. Our first instincts were to look back for the other van when we sawÖÖÖÖÖmy uncle backed into a parked car . Oh yea it doesnít get better than this. We backed up and all of us got out of the car to see if they were ok. Everyone was fine and my cousins thought it was the most hilarious thing everÖ.for now. How can u back into a parked car??? It wasnít like the car was too close or in his way. It gets better folks; the driver of the car came running out of the store. Can u guess who it was? Yup the kind life/time saver lady that gave us the best directions to Disney world . I donít remember everything because I was too ashamed to get back out of the car and face this lady. But I do remember her being so upset of course and then all of a sudden telling us to just go ahead and she wonít file a report since we are on vacation. My dad and aunt didnít feel that comfortable with that but we headed out anyway. Not before we got out of the parking lot though the lady came running back to us and said she wanted our info after all. All I remember after that is the cops showing up and we didnít get on the road until dark. Do you want to hear how my uncle said he ran into her parked car? He saw my dad getting ready to pull out and thought that he was going to leave them. So he pressed on the gas really hard while backing up to catch up with us when he hit the car by accident . NO how about at least backing up at an appropriate speed then go fast going forward.

The next thing I remember is seeing universal and Disney world billboards going by and my uncle trying to speed ahead and race my dad. Some people will never learn. My cousinís favorite billboard was E.T. with his glowing finger. We were finally in Orlando and the first place we went to was a shopping center for a meeting. When I first saw Orlando I thought about how run down and dirty am this place looked. I thought Orlando was going to be like a red carpet leading to the Disney resort but it was just there. Anyways the adults discussed where they wanted to stay for the night and had decided to do something cheap. We tried to get some that were close to Disney but they were all booked. All of the decent ones had no vacancies so we had to get a run down crack motel. This place looks like it should have been shut down a long time ago but we had no other choice. To make matters worse they only had 3 rooms available. Now after our long ride together bunched up we all wanted our own space. That would be 4 rooms needed for all of us. Someone had to sacrifice and guess who it was. Us of course, we had to bunk with everyone that was in our car. My aunt and uncle had a room of their own with a VACANT bed. My cousins and their vacation dates had the other.

So we pulled up to our rooms in the back facing the mosquito forest. No kidding these babies were huge like this ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ...................................... .................................................. ..................... Long!!! Their needle was the size to put an epidural needle to shame. I was Terrified to get out the car they were flying all around the small parking lot. No wonder why these are the only 3 vacant rooms in Orlando. The corridors were outside so they could easily fly into our rooms. I got no sleep that night. All I could think about is killer mosquitoes coming in to suck us bone dry in the middle of the night. We had to run in and out of our rooms to make sure they didnít bite us. We complained I think but all the did was cut off some of the outdoor lights so it wouldnít attract them to us. I donít know I just wanted out of there fast!!! Once we got in the room we had to do sleeping arrangements. There was no way we could fit 3 in a full size bed. This is where my mom and her friend kind of had differences. Of course the kids and the Prince had to sleep in a Bed. So that leaves 3 adults and 1 full size bed sleeping 1 Ĺ. Someone had to sleep on the filthy bug caucus floor. My mom ended up taking one for the team and spread out a blanket on the floor. She thought that my dad deserved the bed more than anybody because he just drove 1000 miles. Princeís mom just got in the bed with her sons no hesitation.

This morning we were finally going to the Magic Kingdom. We all got up and got ready and I donít think we got to the Magic Kingdom until late that evening. It had to be because the first thing I saw when I walked to Main Street is the parade. But wait let me rewind a bit. Before we got there my aunt gave us the news that one of my cousins were staying in the room with her boyfriend. WHAT??? What are you even here for if youíre going to stay in the room the whole time? Ok so we get to the parking gate and pay $5.00 for car parking. I still have the parking tag. I have to go somewhere to scan my old pictures on the computer. I have no negatives and I donít know anywhere I can scan from. Kinkoís maybe? I have no idea but I will find a way. Once I do I will have pics from both trips up after I write the reports. Anyway, we go up to the gate to buy our tickets. The cut off age for child price tickets back then was 9. I was 11 at the time and my dad decides he wants to get me a childís ticket instead of paying full price adult being so close to the cut off age. So he goes up with me and my mom to buy our tickets with confidence . The only question my dad got asked: what is my age? He said 9 and 8monthes and got the tickets . Behind us in line was the Princeís family they stepped up to the plate to buy. She got up there and was very hesitant about lying to get a fake child ticket. She had it posted on her face that she was faking it . The lady knew she was lying by the expression on her face. The lady asked her what year he was born and she couldnít think of it. My dad had to tell her what year and told the lady our birthdays are just days apart. The lady just gave her the ticket anyways and said the turnstiles people might stop her if they think he is older. We started to head up to the turnstiles and there were two lines open because it was so late I guess. One line was long and one line was very short. I wanted to jump into the shortest line but my dad made me stay in the long one for some reason. The Prince, his mom and brother went to the short one. Right when they did I remember my dad saying they should not have done that but not understanding why. They just want to get in fast like I wanted to do. Well right when I got through the turnstile and my dad had handed over his ticket we heard a woman yelling that sounded just like my momís friend. We looked over and it was her arguing with the ticket woman about her fake child ticket. We never notice but she said she have been going back and forth with the ticket sale lady and turnstiles lady. The ticket lady got her manager and told him to look at her son because he looks over 9. Everybody that works at the ticket center agreed that she is lying and just want the half priced ticket. They was asking her and the Prince questions about his age and birthday and they both got them all mixed up. He told his real b-day and she told the fake one with the wrong year after my dad told her what to say. Well this is where the big blow out happens. When she notices she have lost her battle with the ticket authority she sees me on the other side of the gate rats me out. She pointed at me yelling ďLook at her she got in child price and she looks way bigger than my son. She is actually 11yrs old and her parents lied to get her in too. If I have to pay full price so should theyĒ Wow you should have saw our jaws drop to the floor on that one. I cant forget the look on my mom and dad faces and we all prob. looked something like this. That was the last straw with my mom. We didnít even have to let go with us and since we did she acted like she ruled us and we were nothing more than her families chuffers. I donít remember what kind of words her and my mom exchanged after that but they never spoke again until we got home. They ended up making her pay full price and for some reason she thought that we should pay for that. Once we got into the park she refused to hang out with us let alone talk to us and they went in their own way. My dad later explained the reason why he got in the long line. He said because the long one had a young boy that look like he just started and the short one was a woman that look like she have a lot more experience. For sure he was right and she got stopped by the veteran with a lot of fake tickets under her belt.

Now back to the happiness even though I donít remember much of it. The bad over clouded it and stuck in my mind the most. As I look at my pictures I remember some of it like meeting up with my cousin and being fascinated with the candy 25th castle. We stood there taking it all in for a good . We took tons and tons of pictures even though I think my cousin was just making up an excuse to take pictures of the girls standing in front of us in their itsy bitsy shorts without his girlfriend realizing! Seriously wait until u see the pictures he took its like a lot of booty with a little bit of castle in the background . Gross maybe I wont post those I might get kicked off . We went to Tomorrowland after leaving Main Street and the first thing the boys wanted to do was go on Indy Speedway while us girls watched them race around the track. When my dad got to our area he started yelling and waving at us. We thought he just wanted us to wave and cheer him on so thatís what we did. When he got off the ride he asked us why we just stood there waving at him. UmmÖbecause we thought u wanted us to wave back at u and not ignore u? No he said he wanted us to take a picture of him driving the car DUH. Oops my bad . I told him to go on it again to get the picture but he said no didnít want to look like a kid keep riding it over and over. After that I remember wanting to go in toontown and my cousin wasnít having it! He wanted to go on big rides and not kiddy stuff. Which even though we wanted to spend more time together we fully under stood and just set a time to meet. While my cousin went to Space Mountain I think we went to go tour Mickeyís and Minnieís houses. I remember thinking that was cool to see Mickeyís crib and all but what really got me was meeting him at the end. I dragged my parents in the line and I think this is where my uncle and aunt split and went their own way. Anyways I got to see Mickey and I melted when he gave me a kiss on the cheek . I know dorky I donít care it was sweet and that was my first and only character I saw on that trip. My mom was cracking up on me after I took my picture. Not from the kiss I wasnít cheesin or blushing that hard. But from the expression on my face while I was taking the picture. She said I had my nose scrunched up and the look on my face like who farted? Well right before I got up there Mickey had to have a ďCheese and Cracker breakĒ. When he got back he smelled less like cheese and crackers and more like tobacco smoke to me so I guess it showed up on my face. Sorry Mickey but u stink . Next I think we went to Cosmic Rays or whatever that restaurant was back then. I think we just got fries and a soda thatís all I remember. I still have the napkin from there in my album.

I donít know the order of the rest but we got on Cindyís carousel well I didnít b/c I donít like carousels. We went to Arielís Grotto without going into the cave. I thought it was a ride because it had a long line so I waited and waited until I got bored and started playing in the water fountains. Then we went to a show in tomorrow land actually I think this was just after eating at cosmic rayís. I donít know the name of the show or what it was about because we got there at the grand finale. I remember seeing the prince and family in there watching it but they ignored us when we tried to get their attention. Then after the show I think my mom and dad talking to her but she said something about still being mad about the situation. I mean I could see where she were coming from being embarrassed and they should have just let them go since she already paid. But donít blame it on us. Thatís all we were asking for just to have fun while we were there and deal with it later on. My dad actually paid for some of their food to make up the difference. She did get over it but still held a grudge that whole day. The only other thing I remember us doing is riding Itís a Small World. I went crazy with the camera on this ride. I took a picture of everything I set my eyes on. When we got out of there I remember fireworks and people around the castle. Thatís all I remember from Magic Kingdom and all things Disney on that trip. Yup that was the only park we went to while there. I guess we just went home then because I donít remember anything else but everybody wanting to go home. We stayed in the motel for one more night then in the early morning hour I remember my dad rushing me to get out of bed saying we have to leave now. I rushed alright and totally forgot my berry bear in the room. Berry bear was a bear my dad gave me for Valentines Day and he was the softest bear I ever had. He was expensive too and I couldnít go back to get him because we were already on the highway. I remembered him only when I was going back to sleep in the car because I always sleep with him. That was my last bear tragedy. My dad threw away my baby Mickey when he got too dirty and stop work. My mom killed my cat by putting it in the dryer (donít call animal protection it was a fake one). It was one of those ones that look real when you put them on your bed. She tried to cover it up and buy me a new one but I found the evidence in the dryer. Stuffing everywhere . Now I abandoned berry bear at the worst place on earth. That was the end of my stuffed animal phase for me.

Oh and before we left my mom woke up with a humongous mosquito bite. It was the size of a softball on her leg. She couldnít even walk on that leg my dad had to help her to the car. Then lying there on top of the car on her side right by the door was a humongous bug dead. I took a picture of it and her leg but I lost the pictures. I think my aunt has them though. Thatís how I measured the insect or what I like to call them small birds. The swelling went down after a while but I know that must have hurt .

Well thatís it for the 97 trip. You might think it was not that bad and writing it down it doesnít sound that bad to me but it was back then. Oh yea and before we left Orlando we went to this Orlando shop where they have Disney and universal souvenirs. My parents gave me some money to buy anything I wanted but the only thing I got was two gold key chains. One was for my mom that had ďmomĒ on it with Minnie and hearts all over it. The other was for my dad and it said none other than ďdadĒ and had Mickey on it. I got it for them to show that even though it was a rough trip I appreciated them for bringing me there. And I being an adult now, knowing my quick temper I probably would have blown a fuse. But they kept their cool the whole time. Even though Iím sure they did a couple of times they never showed it to me. They just showed me two smiling faces the whole time and made sure I did everything I wanted to do.

What I have learned: Make sure everyone is on the same page before leaving. Make sure everyone has something they want to do or is excited about because their drab might bring you down too. Leave some wiggle room in your schedule if you have small kids in your travel party. Kids like to do things spontaneously not planned I will definitely let my little cousin navigate the group while in a park for a couple of hours . I think thatís why she didnít like it in 02 because I was too bossy.
Coming up- 2002 trip report and pics maybe. No guarantees but Iíll try.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
BrittBritt
Mouseketeer

You are too funny. I love the comment about a lot of booty and a little bit of castle. Now you need to post that pic!
So sorry your trip was so bad. I cannot believe Prince's mom (your aunt?) ratted you out!
Can't wait to hear about your plans for this trip. We'll actually be there on some of the same dates: 12/26-12/29.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Iridessa_lala
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBritt View Post
You are too funny. I love the comment about a lot of booty and a little bit of castle. Now you need to post that pic!
So sorry your trip was so bad. I cannot believe Prince's mom (your aunt?) ratted you out!
Can't wait to hear about your plans for this trip. We'll actually be there on some of the same dates: 12/26-12/29.
Thanks for reading my pre trip report! I can't wait to post my pics and will have them up soon. The ticket situation was crazy and blown way out of proportion. I'll pay anything to get into Disney its worth ever penny. I'm treating my family to a christmas vacation and I hope they love everything I got planned for them. Is this your first time going to DW for the holidays? Maybe we will bump into each other while there that would be so funny! My family loves meeting new people on vacation. My mom made so many friends on our 2002 trip she didn't want to go home. Well hope to talk to you again soon.

Love Iridessa_lala
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Iridessa_lala
Earning My Ears

I have good news today. I just got off the phone with my cousin and she said that I could use her scanner so I can load my pictures. so I will have pictures up by the end of the week. I told her Iíll be there someday this week after work. Ok so then I started looking at vacation homes in Orlando when I had a complete change of heart. I called and asked my dad if he would rather stay in a VH or on Disney property. He asked me what are the big differences and he said Disney all the way. That means more time spent on the DIS boards! So, right now Iím looking into some resorts to complete the whole package. My pick so far is AKL, ASMo, Beach Club and Saratoga Springs. Iím also adding a BBBoutique appointment for my little cousin . Well thatís all I have for now.

Love Iridessa_lala

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: