Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

An Aussie planning her adventure...

Hello All

As you can see from my number of posts - I am a newbee. However, in the two weeks since I have found this site I have become addicted. (Yes, I can admit it...my name is Sandra and I am addicted to DISboards).

I was so excited to find you all - most of my friends think I am a freak because I love Disney and the Mouse so much...I no longer feel alone in this world. So thank you.

OK - about me, I am 34, single and live in Melbourne Australia. I love visiting the USA and the Mouse and have tried to do so regularly for the last 15 odd years.

Now, the basics about my trip -

I have been planning this for quite some time; as I wanted to use frequent flyer points to get my flights across to the USA - in September 2007 I was successful! So I booked a one way flight (with the hope of being able to book the return when they became available).

I fly out of Melbourne on 27 August and head straight to New York - hey I'm a single female - I gotta shop!

I get to spend 3 full days wondering around the streets and buying a whole new wardrobe, then I fly out of La Guadia and directly into MCO on Sunday 31 August.

YAY!!! Now Disney World - it will have been 10 years since I was last in Orlando, and I can't wait to see everything new! (When I was last there they were building Animal Kingdom).

I have 9 days here! I am booked into All Star Music (as that is where I stayed last time). I thought about CBR, but I decided the difference in price was worth a couple of pairs of shoes - and I am only planning on sleeping there.

So after what I am sure will be 9 magnificant days I fly out to Vegas.

I will be here for 4 days - yes more shopping!

Then I fly out to LA and head out to the Land - where I will spend a week.

I then land home in Melbourne on Monday 22 September.

So that's the basics. I shall continue to update you on the progress of my planning. (If you are at all interested?!?!)

Until then, keep mousing!

WDW:
July 1995 Offsite / July 1997 All Star Music / September 2008 Pop / Sept/Oct 2009 Pop / September 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter / returning December 2013 Pop
Disneyland:
1985, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013
Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
erinstar
Mouseketeer

Hi Sandra from another Aussie!!

Cant wait to hear more about your trip... it sounds very similar to what i did last year... LA 2 nights > NY 4 nights > Orlando 10 nights > Vegas 3 nights > home... NY shopping is great, i'm only sorry i didn't spent more but i was trying to save money for Disney!

-Erin

September 2007 - Walt Disney World - Pop Century
February 2009 - Hong Kong Disneyland - offsite
September 2013 - Paris Disneyland - undecided!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your post Erin - any tips would be appreciated!

I will now go into a bit more detail - (had to rush a bit last night - the battery on my lap top was about to die - and I wanted to post what I had already written!)

A little bit more about me - I work full time, in a job I love. I live alone with my two cats (Oscar & Lily). I am a little anal retentive, some things just have to be done a certain way and put in a certain place and I hate change - if I find something I like I generally stick with it - "don't mess with what you know and love" is my motto!

I am really close with my family - which consists of Mum and Dad and my brother and his wife (who is expecting any day now) - I am going to be an Aunt for the very first time. Very exciting!!!!

OK - so now more about the trip..

As I said in my original post this has been an epic in the making...(and continues to be so)...I am loving doing all the research for this trip, it is making the time until my departure go much quicker.

I now also have a travelling companion for 2 weeks of my trip. In mid August it is my Mum's 60th Birthday, so as a surprise I have booked her a return airfare - I mean the hotel prices are the same whether there is one or two people in there - so what the heck! So, Mum is meeting me in WDW and coming to Vegas. I will do New York and Anaheim by myself. I figure it is only fair - she took me to Disneyland to celebrate my 30th Birthday.

Now after much internal debate and since you know now about my aversion to change you will understand what a monumental decision this is....I have changed my reservation from All Star Music to Pop Century. After reading all the posts on DISboards I decided to make the call and change my reservation! WOW!!!

So, hopefully after filling my near empty case with shopping in New York, I land at MCO at 2:00pm on Sunday 31 August. Mum is flying in from Australia
the same day, and she lands at 6:00pm. We are using Magical Express to get the hotel. I will head straight to the hotel after landing and check in and then I think I will go to MK for the remainder of the afternoon - just to wander around and soak up that Mickey feeling that I love so much! Mum will call when her plane gets in, and I will then head back to the hotel to meet her. Not sure what we will do for dinner - I think she will be pretty tired so nothing much - maybe a quick trip to DDD for something light.

The saga shall continue...stay tuned!

WDW:
July 1995 Offsite / July 1997 All Star Music / September 2008 Pop / Sept/Oct 2009 Pop / September 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter / returning December 2013 Pop
Disneyland:
Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

Just bumping - seemed to be an issue when I posted my last thread... computer melt down or something.

WDW:
Disneyland:
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!!

A long weekend for us Aussies this weekend. So three whole days of relaxing and enjoying the summer sun.

Back to the trip

Day Two - Tuesday 2 September

Magic Kingdom

Really hoping to get breakfast reservations in the Castle..we shall wait and see...

So this will be the first time that together we hit Magic Kingdom. Hopefully it will be an early entry day also.

Part of the thrill for me is walking down Main Street - to me it can be the "biggest thrill ride" there!

Day Three - Wednesday 3 September

Now big decisions still need to be made about today - I am thinking that after 3 full days I maybe having shopping withdrawals - so we could hit the premium outlets mall - or maybe we could check out Universal...still working on this one

If we decide on shopping I think dinner will be at DTD -hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Day Four - Thursday 4 September

Today will be really exciting for me - a new Disney theme park. As I said in my original post when I was last in Orlando, Animal Kingdom was still being built so my knowledge of here is only what I have read - both in books and on the net.

I am hoping for ADR at Tusker House for breakfast, then we will just find our way around....

From all reports, I think that we should be able to see everything we need to in one day - any advice on an action plan?

WDW:
Disneyland:
Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

Day Five - Friday 5 December

So today will be the other option from Wednesday - either Shopping or Universal. Being Friday I am hoping it will also be a later night at MK - so I can go back once done with the other

Hmm, starting to rethink things...books that I am reading are saying the parks are crazy at the weekend - would I be better to save shopping for Saturday?!?!? A rethink....what do you reckon? Advice please!!!!

I'd really like to be able to discuss this with my Mum, but since she doesn't know she is going yet....

Do you think two weeks notice is enough time to give her? It's her birthday 14 August - and she flys out 31 August... Can't ask for Dad's advice - he is useless with things like that - just can't make a decision!

Just as a side note - as yet I am still not an Aunt! And they pushed her due date back a week.... How much longer!!! Aren't we there yet?!?!?

So now I have put doubt in my mind on two things, better stop before I make myself crazy!

WDW:
Disneyland:
Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
MouseFan Down Under
Mouseketeer

Hi I'm back!

Figured I needed to update; even if only for my own sanity!

With this weekend bringing the September calendar to our homes I am getting excited. And then next Tuesday I can book my ADR's. And then the real planning shall begin!

So the plan at this point is:
Le Cellier for a dinner, CRT for a breakfast, Tusker House for a breakfast, Plaza Restaurant (not sure for which meal) - I think we will just wing the rest...We will do a Rainforrest Cafe - which one is better - AK or DTD?

Still hoping for some pixie dust to come my way so we can get free dining!

And apart from all that, I am pleased to announce that another princess came into this world on Saturday 16 February! Baby Piper Harlee was born and, not that I am a biased Aunt or anything like that, she is beautiful. And already I can tell that she loves me most and I am her favourite! (We had a chat and she told me!)

WDW:
Disneyland:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: