Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #31
tinkercat
Mouseketeer

What a great start!

I am hoping and praying that somehow, some way, they'll be able to make Lysi's dream of sleeping in the castle come true. I couldn't help but smile when I read your big date, May 18th. You see, we were lucky enough to spend May 18th sleeping in the castle suite, so its a special date for me as well. I know your little princess would love staying there and I'm wishing along with her that it will happen.

I can't wait to read more!
Old 08-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #32
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Smile The Ocean

About the Ocean. We are not too worried about big waves as we live on the west coast. Now we REALLY know how to have BIG waves out here. We were thinking of a quick drive over to Cape Canaveral just to dip out toes in the Atlantic and look for a few shells. My folks live on near the Straits of Juan de Fuca in Washington State which is a slightly sheltered spur off of the Pacific. We love to walk in the water and play on the beach. I will say that the north Pacific is a LOT cooler than the north Atlantic, but in shallow water it can be nice in the summer. As far as the Gulf of Mexico, I am a tad nervous about recent articles on flesh-eating bacteria in the Gulf. Also, it is in the opposite direction from the airport. These are fun choices to have to be made, compared to the choices we have had to make throughout Lysi's life.

It is so wonderful to have the support and ideas of everyone here. This is a wonderful community!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #33
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

Your daughter is just adorable....and we will keep your son in our thougths and prayers for his safety.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 08-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #34
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Flesh eating bacteria!!!!! YUK!!!! We were making plans to go to St. Petes and have dd wear her professional quality scuba mask to protect her eyes from bacteria & such. Sigh. Google said that children with illnesses are more succeptable to bacteria. I know dd's docs don't want her getting any questionable water in her eyes. Well, my new TR plans I'm about to post have the beach included but now that puts a question mark on it.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #35
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Bill, Blessings and thanks to your son. Karen
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #36
AAATGirl
Earning My Ears

Hi im Who'syourMickey's dd AAAT Girl

see ya in 39 days
Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #37
the4princesses
WE LOVE DISNEY WORLD

dd cute

Hi I'm so happy for you and your DD, getting to go to WDW!! I
Have a son who just turned 5 on Aug 11th. Your DD is soooo cute!
My DH's name is Christopher also, I'm so thankful for your son,that he would defend us, the USA!! We will pray for Christopher.
I hope you all enjoy WDW!
When did your DD turn 5? .
Write back
Thank you,
Kathy
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #38
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Off to a great start

Bill & Lin,

You have gotten off to a great start. After chatting with you in my TR and on other TR's it is so nice to meet your family! I have had a brother in law come home from Iraq (USMC) and another who is still there with 4-5 months left of his 18+ month deployment. We greatly appreciate all the sacrifices our soldiers, sailors and marines make, and greatly appreciate their families for all their sacrifices as well.

Lysi is a doll! Have you considered BBB at DTD and coming soon to MK. They will do a princess hairstyle for $35 I believe, then $45 to include nails and then $175+ for the whole package (dress, tiara, scepter, etc.) The girls look like they walked out of a Disney movie. It is precious (photo pass people there too).

Make your wish for a night at Cinderella's castle known to your wish agency. They have contacts, I am sure, with Disney. You might want to call ahead to GKTW and tell them the same thing and ask them if they think something like that might be possible.

GKTW will give you tickets to Cape Canveral. They have a bus tour there.

I was hesitant about the ocean as well...my son is immunosupressed, and was not able to swim in a pool or ocean for 12 months post transplant. He can never swim in lakes or rivers because of the bacteria found there. I would think long and hard about it, and consult Lysi's doctors. There was a wish family at GKTW while we were there and they went to Cocoa Beach and said it was awful...they were very displeased.

I am hoping you won't have terrible crowds, in spite of the free dining plan. The GKTW button and GAC will help you through the lines tremendously.

Keep up the good pre TR!

Elisa
Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #39
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

GKTW Orientation

Bill:

You had said something about getting to GKTW at 5:00 or so. Dinner starts at 6:00 and Orientation is at 7:00. You will be moving at a pretty peppy pace once you get there.

When you get on property they will sit at one of the tables with you, gather the check in info and then someone will take you to your villa in a golf cart with the car following. That individual will show you around the villa (point out things like the thermostat and laundry area) and then there will be another orientation for parents where your ticket packages are passed out. When you check in you will be given your "Bunny Book". It has directions to all the parks, and general info. You won't have time to look over it completely, but you will want to flip through it briefly so that you can ask any questions at orientation. After having been on these boards, you will find that you are more well informed that anyone else there. Still though, I had a couple of questions pop up.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #40
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Bill! Hi Lin!

I am completely entranced by your story and so very glad that your darling daughter's wish will be granted!!

Keeping your son and all our troops in my prayers....

Kathy
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #41
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

We went to cocoa beach too and it was the worst beach I've ever been to, besides horseshoe beach. The deal was that cocoa was so dismal I said "lets try to find a different beach", then dh found "horseshoe beach" on the map north of cocoa and we drove there, it ended up being a 2 hour drive to 2 ft of beach near swampy murkey water in the middle of concrete and debris.

As far as what our docs are telling us, one of dd's opthomologists (in his 80's with decades of experience) says no swimming even in public pools because of bacteria and the other opthomologist (in his 30's, up to date, Harvard trained and highly respected also) says to wear a scuba mask and enjoy. It's the lovely thing about autoimmune disease, there is so many disagreements. So we can pick the one that best suits us.

Just kidding. I haven't spent much time researching the issue of bacteria in beach water for myself to know the risks, to tell the truth. Our daughter isn't on immunosuppressants, but I still am concerned since she has an autoimmune disease that is highly suseptable to bacteria and virus's. Exposure to certain bacteria and virus's can cause flares. She will be put on immunosupressants if she has another flare. Of course, if I ask the one doc about it I know what he will say We should ask the Harvard one what he thinks about beaches.

If people get the flesh eating virus from the skin. I wonder if a precaution like putting liquid skin on any open wounds would help . I don't want her to be in a little box of "you can't do this" because of arthritis and "you can't do this" because of uveitis and pretty soon the kid is afraid to do anything! I understand about being immunosuppressed and not being able to do it because of chemo or transplants. I still think it is sad. Wouldn't being immunosuppressed also mean that being exposed to a crowd of people (germs) would be dangerous too? I'm just curious how they come up with the list of what children can and can't do. I wonder how they compare risks, because if the risk of a theme park was equal to the risk of an ocean then it would just be kind of a risky week, maybe equally risky.

Now you see why I'm all the doctors favorite mom with my never ending questioning.

I'm worried about my daughter in the heat too. She was overheated all last summer while we went door to door getting people of our town to sign a petition against an intermodal coming to our town, then her uveitis flared when she got the chicken pox virus (the virus/flare thing) at the end of the overheated summer. It was september when she was diagnosed but the flare had gone on silently all that summer. I worry that heat could trigger flares too.

I am so happy we are going even with all the concerns though, and it is REALLY nice to have other parents going through similar things on the disboards to talk too....
Old 08-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #42
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Unhappy Media Preparedness

My next over-planning step has been to get as many videos and DVDs as possible from our local library system that will prepare my DD to understand the theme of rides we might do.

Here is a list of movies that seem crucial for ride/ attraction-preparedness:
Bug's Life
Cat in the Hat (cartoon version)
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast
Winne the Pooh (any)
E.T.
Shrek
Men in Black
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Lion King
Peter Pan
Finding Nemo
Fantasia
(Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror and Pirates of the Caribbean don't seem that helpful and might have done more harm than good)

Here are books we had to find:
If I Ran the Zoo
Circus McGurkis
McElligot's Pool
One Fish Two Fish
Uncle Remus

I am sure there must be more. It is almost like some sort of a degree in movieology is a prerequisite.

On the list above my DD loved Cinderella, E.T. Cat in the Hat and finding Nemo.

Now I am trying to figure out if we "need" a portable DVD player or need to rent an airline movie player to keep the rest of the plane sane during our DD5s 5-hour flight from Seattle to Orlando.

Bill
Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #43
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

I am doing the same thing, except trying to watch the movies on cable, because I have library fines and am 86'ed from there. We just watched Bugs life on TV.

Here are some more (like there is time for all of these, I know)

Honey, I shrunk the kids
Raiders of the lost ark
Dumbo
Star Wars
Toy Story
Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #44
jennydep
Mouseketeer

Bill, you may also want to read "And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street" by Dr. Suess. I remember there's a gift shop by that name at IOA. If you want to watch any of the rides, you can find most on YouTube. Plus Universal's website has snippets of several rides. My DD loved (and still loves) watching those.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #45
TheLastPrincess
It's OK. I'm obsessed too.

Bill, your DD is beautiful! I hope she has the bestest time at WDW. All girls are princesses. Your little girl especially is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: