Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Becky, Will & Hunter~baby's 1st vacation, 2 weeks Free Dining~9/21-10/6*LOTS of Pics*

~9/21 Leaving Portland for my favorite place in the World~ Page 1, Post #1
~9/22 We arrive at Pop Century-first observations, Dinner @ 1900 Park Fare, Pop Glow Party

~9/23 First time to Magic Kingdom with Hunter, Early Dinner @ Crystal Palace
~9/24 First time to MGM with Hunter, Dinner @ Sci-Fi

I should introduce everyone who was with us on this trip (pics added soon):

Me~Becky, 26, a HUGE Disney fan since childhood. I went to Disneyland with my family when I was 4 months old & have continued to go annually since.
DH~Will, 31, used to not be such a fan of Disney but he has since converted. He loves it now & actually admited on our trip that WDW was his favorite vacation place.
DS~ Hunter, 11 months, the poor kid is going to be a Disney fan no matter what... all of his toys & stuffed animals consist of Disney characters & we plan on taking a trip every year to WDW to celebrate his birthdays

DM- My mom is a Disney fan for life.
DD- My dad
Aunt- My Aunt Paula joined us for the 2 week trip to WDW
Grandma- This is my Grandma's first vacation to WDW or Disneyland. My grandfather has never been a fan so she never had the chance to visit. She's 80 years old & up for the adventure, which I thought was so cool!
DB- My brother Tim lives in Alaska (he followed me up there after I moved there ) He's going to be with us for about 1 week of the trip
DS- My sister lives in Malibu, California where she works as an actress and on the production aspect of movies. She is actually going to spend a total of 1 month at WDW. Her boyfriend & her stayed at the Boardwalk resort for 2 weeks, then she stayed for 1 week waiting for us to arrive & then she was staying with us during the duration of our trip at Pop Century. Long vacation!!

I think that is everyone... I'll add individual pictures of them as I come across them.

Friday 9/21 was the date I had been waiting for for soooo long. I think that I started mentally planning this trip as soon as my son was born last November but knew that we couldn't realistically go until he was a little bit older. I came across the DISboards last spring & became aware of the free dining promotion. As soon as free dining was announced I booked my trip. I booked the trip for 9/22-10/6 because I was told that as long as we arrived on the last day of the promotion we would be able to received free dining for the duration of our stay.

Our flight left PDX on 11:51pm. We flew with Continental which was a first for me. I was a little nervous because I usually only fly with one airline, but I was actually very happy with this airline with the exception of one delay which I will tell you about in just a bit. I had spent the entire day finalizing all of our plans and trying to make sure that I had everything for us to leave. My DH was on a flight home from Alaska & was expected to arrive in Portland at about 7pm.

I went by my parents house and picked them up in my minivan along with my aunt. They were all going with us on this trip. My brother who lives in Alaska flew to Boise, Idaho to pick up my grandma. They flew back to Porltand and were at the airport waiting for us. This was my grandma's first trip to WDW & she is 80 years old, so I thought that was pretty cool. My sister who lives in California was going to be meeting up with us in Florida. Anyway, my van was packed sooo full. There was literally no space for anything else after all the luggage & family members were inside. We left for the airport and I was so excited that I didn't even drive my own car! I let my aunt drive so that I could sit in the back with Hunter & tell him how much fun he was going to have.

We arrived at the airport & picked up my DH. He was so happy to see Hunter. He couldn't believe how much Hunter had grown in the 4 weeks that we had been away from him. I told him that babies grow at exceptionally fast rates! Anyway, after we picked up DH we just hung out in the airport & ate dinner until it was time for us to go through security & check in.

Like I said earlier, our flight left about 11:51pm. We were scheduled to arrive in Houston in a few hours where we would have a layover for about 2 hours. For the most part, Hunter did really well on the flight. I was a bit nervous about an overnight flight with him, but he slept well. It was me who couldn't sleep at all. Leaving Houston didn't go quite as smooth. We were all boarded & the plane was taxiing when they stopped and said we would be pulling back up to the concourse. Apparently one of the flight crew became ill & they needed to find a replacement. We sat in the airplane for over an hour waiting for a new employee to show up. I sat next to a woman who had a daughter who was only a couple months older then Hunter, so they shared Goldfish crackers & the kids played. That was kind of fun. FINALLY, someone showed up & we were on our way to WDW. I was soooo excited! 2 1/2 hours until I'd be arriving to my favorite place in the world!!!

We arrived in Orlando at about 1pm. We checked in for our Magical Express transfer to the Pop Century & OMG!!!! The lines were so long! Last time we went (in 2005) we had no line to get on the bus & we waited over 2 hours for our transfer on this day. I started wondering to myself if we had picked the wrong time of year to arrive. I could tell my DH was freaking out about the crowds. Remember, he just came back from a 500 person town in Alaska... I kept telling him that we arrived on a Saturday which must be the reason for so many people checking in...Don't know if that was the reason, but I was trying to justify the crowds

Once we were on the bus everything seemed to real. We were on our way & I couldn't wait for us to drive under the Walt Disney World arches. When we did I honestly got a little teary eyed. I didn't think I'd be so emotional, but it was my DS first vacation, my 80 year old grandma's first trip and I was there with my whole family. How perfect... later on we drove eachother crazy, I'll tell you all about that LOL.

Well, we arrived at the Pop Century. I was excited to try a new resort. It looked pretty much like the All-Stars where I have stayed before, but I had heard so many great things about Pop that I was happy to be there. We got checked into our room...Rm. 6259 with a lakeside view. It was kind of a far walk but I didn't mind.

Next up...We get settled in & head to the Grand Floridian for dinner at 1900 Park Fare & I get to meet some fellow DIS'ers at the Pop Glow Party!!!

Thanks for reading!

A couple pictures of Will & Hunter after not getting to see eachother for about a month

My brother, Grandma, Hunter & I at the Portland airport

The family & luggage!!

Last edited by becky_AK; 10-16-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

I'm very new to writing Trip Reports so please forgive me if I did this incorrectly. I had originally started writing a Pre-trippie a few weeks ago but am not sure how to transfer what I started writing to my Trip Report, so I am starting a completely new one. My signature will have both a link for my trip report & pre-trip in case anyone wants to know the planning info & who all was in our group. I'm sure I'll explain everything in my Trip Report but just wanted to apologize just in case
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

i'm here! i haven't read the first installment yet, but i'll be back later to catch up. can't wait to hear about it!
Old 10-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
MeMom
DIS Veteran

We talked about meeting up, but never did. I guess with us just having three very short days and you just getting your DH back, the time was just never right. Maybe on a longer trip someday. We may have crossed paths and never realized it. We'll see as we read each other's reports...we might find that we were in the same park at the same time! I'll look forward to reading your report and seeing your pictures. Didn't you love the way Main Street looked all dressed up in autumn attire?!?!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Was your son okay with his dad after not seeing him for a month.

I can merge your pre-trip here if you want. Let me know.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

How cool your grandma is going to Disney...your son is just to cute.

Cannot wait to read more and see more pics.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 10-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin413 View Post
i'm here! i haven't read the first installment yet, but i'll be back later to catch up. can't wait to hear about it!
Welcome! Glad you'll read my first report. I read yours from last May & it was sooo good, I hope mine will be alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
We talked about meeting up, but never did. I guess with us just having three very short days and you just getting your DH back, the time was just never right. Maybe on a longer trip someday. We may have crossed paths and never realized it. We'll see as we read each other's reports...we might find that we were in the same park at the same time! I'll look forward to reading your report and seeing your pictures. Didn't you love the way Main Street looked all dressed up in autumn attire?!?!
I wish I would've had a chance to meet more people. Traveling with all of my family made it hard to do some of the things I wanted at times (you'll hear all about it). I hope you had a great time & it'll be interesting to see if we were at the same places at the same time.

I LOVED Main Street dressed up for fall. I wish I was back there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Was your son okay with his dad after not seeing him for a month.

I can merge your pre-trip here if you want. Let me know.
It was funny because at first Hunter was a little hesitant when he saw his dad. My DH had to stay in Alaska for an extra month due to work (in case people are wondering) and when he first saw him he wasn't quite sure what to think. I think that he was really confused. But after a few minutes he was fine & really happy to see his Daddy.

Do you think I should merge my pre-trip? I don't think I really need to... This is my first so I'm not really sure what the normal procedure is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avivasmom View Post
How cool your grandma is going to Disney...your son is just to cute.

Cannot wait to read more and see more pics.
It was really cool that my Grandma who is 80 years old got to share her first trip at the same time as my son's first trip. It was very special. Thank you for the compliment, I think he is pretty cute too, but of course I'm a bit biased
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Day 1~ Dinner at 1900 Park Fare, Glow Party

I think I left off in the previous post telling everyone we had arrived at Pop. My DH took my DS to the kids play area so that I could wait in line & check in for our room. Luckily, our room was ready. We were in room 6259. I went back to the kids play area to get DS & DH and Hunter had already made a little friend. His name was Robbie & I couldn't get him to leave so that we could check in. I was trying to be patient & enjoy that my son had made a new friend, but we had been flying all night long & I was tired and wanted to try and take a quick nap before we left for dinner. I think we ended up playing peek-a-boo in the lobby for at least 30 minutes before I finally picked Hunter up & marched to our room. Along the way, we passed the Goofy water fountains & Hunter immediately saw them. It amazed me during this trip how observant an 11month old child is. I don't think we give them enough credit at times. Anyway, we stopped for a couple minutes just to get his feet wet & then continued to our room.

As soon as we opened the door to our room I literally crashed on the bed, but who was I kidding, I couldn't take a nap, I was at WDW!!!

So, I decided to take a quick shower and get ready for dinner instead. We left for the Magic Kingdom because our dinner was at the Grand Floridian resort. I wanted to just "experience" the magic of this park for just a moment, even if it was watching from the outside of the gates. After taking a couple photos we walked up to the monorail that would lead us to the Grand Floridian.

We arrived at the resort & met up with the rest of my family. To make a long story short, we had an enjoyable dinner & the characters were fun. I have to be honest though, the step-sisters (can't remember their names) started to get on my nerves after a little while. They were kind of annoying. Hunter seemed to do pretty well with the characters though, although I don't think he really had any idea what was going on. My DH normally hates buffet style dining but he said that he was happy with the food & he said that it was actually one of the best buffets he had ever dined at, so I was happy that we started the trip off with a good dining choice

Here are a few photos:

[COLOR="blue"][B]Of course I had to get a picture with the prince...although we wasn't really my type LOL.

Dinner ran much later then I had planned. I really wanted to get back to Pop to meet some DIS'ers and participate in the Glow Party. My family didn't really seem to understand why it was so important to me & continued to eat at their SLOW pace and it took forever to get everyone organized so that we could head back. I was so close to leaving the rest of my family behind so that I could get there, but I didn't want to see rude and start the trip off with bad feelings so I sat there & tried to smile & be happy.

I finally got to the Pop & was excited to see so many people still at the party. I got a chance to meet a few people in person & that was really fun. Here is one picture of us:

I am so bad with names so I really can't remember everyone that I talked to, but it was still so great to try & put names/faces together. I was really happy that my DH met some of the other husband's & he seemed to enjoy himself for the time that we were there.

After that we went back to our hotel room & decided we needed to get to bed as soon as we could since we had been up for nearly 24 hours without any sleep and we were going to have a busy day the next morning. We planned on going to Magic Kingdom, my favorite park, and I couldn't wait!!!

Next up... Our first visit to Magic Kingdom with Hunter

Last edited by becky_AK; 10-13-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Missing WDW

Okay, so I just have to post really quick & tell everyone that it has been 1 week since we returned from our trip & I'm already missing it like crazy. Therefore, my DH & I decided that tonight would be "Disney Dining" night in our household. I've converted my DH to a serious Disney fan now We found many recipes on the allearsnet.com website & so we are making bread pudding w/ banana foster sauce & the scalloped potatos from Ohana, cheddar cheese soup from LeCellier, and chicken breast & a salad with the Honey Lime dressing from Ohana. MMMMM...it's being cooked right now & I sure hope it tastes as good as it did while we were there.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

One of my favorite things about visiting WDW is the first time you get to visit Magic Kingdom & walk down Main Street with the Castle standing directly in front of you. I've walked down Main Street many times, but it is still as magical as the first time I did (okay, I don't remember the first time since I was 4 months old, but you get the point )

This day was going to especially special because it was the first time I would be walking down Main Stree with my DH & DS.

We went through bag check & the card reader and immediately I got excited. I think my heart started beating faster because I was so excited I had a plan and hoped to immediately head down Main Street & towards Fantasy Land because I wanted to experience It's a Small World and Dumbo with my son. We didn't arrive at the park at 9am for opening because we were so exhausted from traveling the day before. We arrived at about 11am. This was not part of my plan that I had worked so hard to draft up during my planning weeks, but then again, I was exhausted so I thought it would be best if we started off the 2 week trip well rested. Anyway, my DH is a shopaholic, it's funny, I know, but he immediately could not resist the Disney marketing strategies & decided that we had to walk through some of the shops. I begged & pleaded with him and told him we would be back, but he insisted on buying something for Hunter's first day at Magic Kingdom. Okay, I gave in... I guess when it comes to spoiling Hunter I'm a wimp. So we shopped for a few minutes... more like 45 minutes I should say. Then when we left I said we were heading to Fantasyland. Nope, now DH was hungry (he's ALWAYS hungry). So we headed to Peco's Bills for burgers. Finally, we made it over to It's a Small World. We parked the stroller & pulled Hunter out so that we could start waiting in the 15 minute line. It was 2 minutes after we were in line Hunter crashed & was sound asleep on Daddy's shoulder. Great, I thought, I'm waiting in a line for a ride I wanted my son to see & now he is sound asleep. Oh well... We stayed in line and rode it. I enjoy the ride since it is cool & relaxing, but I honestly thought Hunter would enjoy all the dolls & the music. He slept the entire ride. Bummer!

After that we headed over to Splash Mtn. and BTMRR and I let my DH ride that a couple of times with my other family members who we had met up with. We squeezed in a few more rides, including Haunted Mansion and then we watched the parade. By this time Hunter was awake & he LOVED the parade and all of the characters going by. I was so happy he seemed to be enjoying himself. All of the sudden it started raining soooo hard. I'm used to rain living in Southeast Alaska & Portland, Oregon, but I did not want rain on my vacation. We had late lunch reservatios for Crystal Palace so we just decided to run over there & check in for our meal as early as possible.

Okay, so I mentioned in a previous post that my DH hates buffets. When we got to Crystal Palace he looked at me and said "Is this the Pooh buffet that we ate at last year?" I looked at him sheepishly and said yes beacuse I knew he wasn't going to be that happy. We ate here in 2005 as non-parents, and my DH hated it. He hated being bothered by the characters, he hated the buffet, basically he was not happy the whole time we were there. I wanted to eat here so bad though because my DS loves Pooh & friends, especially Tigger. So, I figured DH could suck it up & enjoy the meal for DS's sake.

Again, my DH shocked me. He loved the meal and had a great time. When we got to our table it was decorated with Confetti. Hunter's 1st birthday isn't until November but we were celebrating his 1st birthday during this trip & they must've made a note of it. We took a few pictures during lunch of the characters and the meal. The food was really good, much better then I had remembered it from 2005 and my DH was actually enjoying himself.

We had two tables right next to eachother for all of the family. It would've been nice if we could all sit at the same table, but it was ok. It was pretty busy while we were there but had great service & the waiter always returned with soda refills for everyone. He also gave us a birthday cake for Hunter & a card signed by all of the characters, which was the first of many neat surprises during the trip.

Pictures from Crystal Palace:

Our decorated table

My grandma's first character experience

Will & Hunter

Hunter's favorite

His birthday cake

His first time ever having cake...I guess he was really excited

Next...I'll finish our day at Magic Kingdom
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
Booknut
I couldn't figure out why people would choose to put that down

Love the photos so far, your son is adorable

2005 WDW Offsite, 2006 WDW AKL/POFQ, 2008 DLP Santa Fe, 2009 DLP Hotel New York, 2012 DLP Hotel L'Elysee

Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

great stuff so far! you guys were on your way to the GF and passing by MK the same day i was there! i wish i would've known....i would've waved at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky_AK View Post

My grandma's first character experience
OMG.....this is one of the sweetest things i've ever seen!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Tanya90210
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky_AK View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]
HEHE.... Ry and I made it into your report Not a great pic of me... but oh well...
Old 10-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Tanya90210
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear your DH enjoyed CP this time Love the cake and the shot of hunter diving in
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booknut View Post
Love the photos so far, your son is adorable
Thank you for stopping by & for the compliment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin413 View Post
great stuff so far! you guys were on your way to the GF and passing by MK the same day i was there! i wish i would've known....i would've waved at you.

OMG.....this is one of the sweetest things i've ever seen!
It's so funny because I was trying to watch for people who I thought looked familiar, of course, I didn't see anyone I recognized. I actually waved at someone who gave me the weirdest look & probably thought I was crazy...I was a bit embarrased.

I love that picture of my grandma & Tigger. She had so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya90210 View Post
HEHE.... Ry and I made it into your report Not a great pic of me... but oh well...
I was bummed, I thought Will would've taken a few more photos. Nope, he only took one so that was all I had to choose from. Oh well, maybe next time I'll get another group photo *Hint* I think we should do a 2nd Glow Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya90210 View Post
Glad to hear your DH enjoyed CP this time Love the cake and the shot of hunter diving in
That was so funny, he just dove in & didn't even wait for me to cut it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: