Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Amyg
DIS Veteran

Bare Minerals, for the older woman, okay?

I'd like to try Bare Minerals BUT since I have a few wrinkles starting up...will that excentuate the creases? I'm kinda vain that way and since ppl generally think I'm 10-15 years younger than my actual age...I want to keep it that way!

Last edited by Amyg; 08-03-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

I'm 41, and have a few little crow's feet, and it works fine for me... don't know what your definition of "older" is.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
dsnyfamily
Mouseketeer

I'm a little older than MomofKatie but I really like it. Regular use of moisturizer and a light hand with the Bare Minerals and I think it cakes less than other foundations. Plus, it doesn't smudge while spending a hot day at the park.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
rolltidepixie
Mouseketeer

I'm 51 and don't have any problems with this makeup. I also have very oily skin and live in the deep south. Even with the humidity and oil on my face, bare minerals doesn't show my crows feet. Like the other post, you need to use a light hand. I use the skin reverupper under my makeup. Also, if you have oily skin you can put the mineral veil on before you apply the makeup. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
IMDORY
"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..."

A friend of mine in her early 40's switched to Bare Minerals because of her concern for her emerging wrinkles-she got me to switch too. I love them! I threw out all of my other products-I've finally found something that is perfect for me.
IMDORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

My mom, 60 in Nov, loves bare minerals.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Michellynn
Finding shopping opportunities at every destination!

I love Bare Minerals and don't have any problems with it making wrinkles looking more prominent. When I first started using it I applied it too heavily (too much product on the brush at one time) and did have a problem with it deeping the appearance of creases. However, once you get the hang of it and realize a little bit of product goes a long way, it goes on very smoothly. Until you get a feel for it, I would err on the very very light side of how much you think you need to use.

Also, I LOVE the mineral veil product line (tinted and original)...more times than not that is all I use as a foundation.
September 2012 - DCL Magic Canadian Cruise, May 2012 - Coronado Springs, October 2011 - PO French Quarter, February 2008 - PO French Quarter, June 1998 - Dixie Landings, March 1986 - Fort Wilderness, March 1983 - Fort Wilderness, April 1980 - Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park

Michellynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

I keep trying Bare Minerals trying to like it and just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Right now I am using Clinique City Base Compact (I am 48) and I LOVE it. I purchased Bare Minerals from QVC and I keep trying it but I do not like the coverage.

Linda
lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Amyg
DIS Veteran

Okay...I'm confused. What is Mineral Veil and is that different than the foundation? I have seen the infomercial before but I don't recall what the kit comes with and it looks like everything is a powder, correct?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpizzuro123 View Post
I keep trying Bare Minerals trying to like it and just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Right now I am using Clinique City Base Compact (I am 48) and I LOVE it. I purchased Bare Minerals from QVC and I keep trying it but I do not like the coverage.

Linda
I use Clinique Super Fit foundation with pressed powder to finish it off & I love it. My mom likes Bare Minerals, but I don't care for it. It feels too light for me. I like full coverage foundation & IMO Bare Minerals is not that. But I also don't feel that traditional foundation ever feels "caked on" like they talk about in the Bare Minerals ads. To each his own I guess.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
marvin12
DIS Veteran

I'm in my 40's and love bare minerals.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
Michellynn
Finding shopping opportunities at every destination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyg View Post
Okay...I'm confused. What is Mineral Veil and is that different than the foundation? I have seen the infomercial before but I don't recall what the kit comes with and it looks like everything is a powder, correct?
Mineral veil is sort of like a finishing powder that you can use over the foundation..think of your traditional loose or pressed powder and this is the bare minerals version of that function. If you have oily skin you can actually use it first and it helps with sort of prepping your skin for a smoother finish. Or if you just want light coverage, you can use it by itself. It does not build up like other powders...so you can pretty much reapply during the day if you feel like it (I usually don't have to)

I have always had very oily skin and was tired of feeling like my foundation was sliding off of my face. I don't really have that problem with bare minerals. When I went with foundations that were meant to stay put on oily skin...I ended up having worse skin problems (even if it was supposed to be non comedogenic). For me, this is the first makeup that my skin has actually improved the longer I use it. Also, the longer I used it, the less of it I had to use because I had less to cover up as my skin improved.

I am a firm believer that not all makeups work the same for everyone.....different skin types, different results. I am sure there are some skin types that may not get the same results....BUT, for me...with oily, highly sensitive skin (used to break out very easily until I started use these products), this was really a dream come true.

As for getting more coverage...there are ways to do that (usually a bit more time buffing). I still have to cover up blemishes from time to time. Once you learn the subtle tricks of how cover them, I have been able to cover them up without drawing attention to them (they blend in more...don't look caked with coverage). It really is about learning how to apply the makeup and using the right tools. That is probably the one drawback (from my perspective)...you really do have to use the right brushes to get the best results from this makeup. Definitely no finger applications with this product line....

In any event...for me...oily sensitive skin....first signs of wrinkles (I am late 30s)...it works great. It does take some patience and practice though. And, like others have said...it may not be for everyone.

If anyone is considering the line, try one of the value kits first before investing a lot of money (comes with the right brushes, etc.)....and WATCH the video to learn how to use it.

Ok...off my soapbox now.
September 2012 - DCL Magic Canadian Cruise, May 2012 - Coronado Springs, October 2011 - PO French Quarter, February 2008 - PO French Quarter, June 1998 - Dixie Landings, March 1986 - Fort Wilderness, March 1983 - Fort Wilderness, April 1980 - Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park

Michellynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
Amyg
DIS Veteran

Thanks Michellyn! I think I will check Sephora for the kit and try it out.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
bluedoggy
Mouseketeer

I'm 52 and tried Bare Minerals about 2 yrs ago. I was also concerned about it looking "cakey" as I have dry skin, and live in Wisconsin with long cold winters that really dry out your skin. I used a good moisturizer and didn't have a problem. But the one thing that did happen - is when it got warm out, and especially while we were in Florida - my face itched really bad. I ended up going to Sehora and asked why that happened. Several of the gals said some people to have that kind of reaction to the Bare Minerals - infact a couple of the salespeople said it happened to them too. I now use Sheer Cover (also on an infomercial with Leeza Gibbons. This has worked fine for me now - even with the hot summer we are having. Not sure what the difference is in ingredients. They have a nice product called Base Perfector that makes your skin feel like silk ... that goes on under the foundation. I really like how it feels.
Hope you find a product that works good for you.
bluedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 AM   #15
Beep
My heart and soul live in Florida!

I've just started using BE and found it tricky to get right. I think I was using the wrong brush (didn't buy a kit) and too much product at one time. I also found that using a moisturiser before applying is essential.

It also makes my skin itch when I get hot and I found this link: http://ezinearticles.com/?Mineral-Ma...oride&id=68978

After checking, BE does contain Bismuth Oxychloride so after spending a fortune on getting my colours right I might have to change to one that doesn't contain it.

Has anyone else had this problem, carried on using it and found that the itching stops? Does your face get used to it?

UK Spending Game #5
Beep is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: