Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
malibuconlee
OOH - I think I've finally figured out the multi-quote feature!
Don't forget to get your drink of water from the "Fountain of Youth!!"

Las Vegas Cirque Shows

DH and I are going to Vegas in October for our 10th anniversary (we were married there). We've not had the chance to go to shows during our trips in the past so we're planning on taking in a few different ones. We want to see Phantom of the Opera, but also want to go to one of the Cirque shows, but aren't sure which one.

So, who's been to what show? Anyone been to more than one? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

malibuconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Mady/Sophiemom
Needing to clean, makes me feel sick

I've seen Mystere, and O.

I preferred Mystere, but I don't think I'm in the majority. Most people think O is awsome. I thought it so/so.

Those were the only 2, last time I was there. If I'm thinking right, there are 2-3 new ones. I really want to see LOVE.
Mady/Sophiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
LadyyRedd
Someone stole my toothpaste/Chapstick routine!
I'm in the "whatever's clean" crowd too!
I'm sort of the pancake anti-thesis!

We went in June to Vegas and saw O, Mystere and Zumanity. I highly recommend all 3!

Zumanity, however, wasn't very "Cirque-ish" to me, although it did have elements. To me it was more like a Vegas cabaret show. But, with that said, it was a GREAT show. Also, keep in mind that it's very much an adult show. Nobody under 18 is allowed in anyway. If you are at all uncomfortable with adult humor, curse words or nudity, you probably wouldn't have a very good time.

If you can only see one, I say go see O. It's so different from the others, yet so much the same, if that makes any sense at all.

But, even still, I LOVED LOVED LOVED both Mystere and O.

Kimya

LadyyRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Toot Sweet
Bbgrizzle was eaten by a 5-foot rooster!
Simmah Dan Nah!

Mystere!

There is another Cirque-type show that we LOVED...Le Reve at the Wynn. Really neat show. (Le Reve means "the dream").
Old 07-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

I've seen Mystere, O and KA

Mystere is a very typical Cirque show (if it there can be such a thing!). Lots of really cool human stunts, things that make you hold your breath etc. No story line and lots of that weird "cirque" language when they sing.

O is similar, but w/ the added effect of water stunts (diving etc)

KA is the most different, because it relies on the story and the staginf to keep you engrossed. However, the technical details (like the stage and costumes) as well as the music are amazing. The story is really easy to follow even though there's no speaking. Then again, a lot of people don't like this one as much because there aren't as many "human" acts--everything is dependant on the stage (I don't want to give too much away)

I liked all three a lot. I LOVED KA. I loved the story, I loved the music, I LOVED the staging. It is quite honestly some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen. Jaw dropping. It's the only one of the 3 I would be willing to shell out the money to see again. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them though, KA is just my favorite.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I've seen all the Cirque shows in Vegas (more than once), with the exception of Zumanity - that one doesn't appeal to me.

Here's how I would rate the Cirque shows:

Mystere
LOVE
"O"
Ka!

The great thing is - you can't really make a mistake. They are all wonderful, in my opinion!

Have fun!
antmaril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
futreWDI
DIS Veteran

We saw LOVE in August and compared to other Cirque shows, this one is way more about the music. It is all Beatles music and if you love the Beatles, you would love it. There is less acrobatics, but more dancing.

Although I have never seen it, the show that I would recommend because it is the most technologically advanced, is KA. The whole stage goes from a horizontal surface to a vertical surface I have talked my mom into going to see it so she is when she goes with my grandmother and aunt in august. I have watched the documentary that was on Bravo about KA and if I had to choose which show to see next, this would be it.

If I were you, I would definetly explore the whole www.cirquedusoleil.com website, listen to music, read plot lines, look at pics and video clip... they can really help you make a decision!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

We've seen most if not all of the traveling shows and in Vegas, we've only seen Mystere and Love although I hear KA is outstanding. Loved, loved, loved LOVE! There was such an energy to the show unlike any of the others. Next time we're there, we want to see KA and LOVE (again). LOVE's soundtrack is simply amazing.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Sherri
DIS Veteran
I never thought a cell phone would make me feel so happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuconlee View Post
DH and I are going to Vegas in October for our 10th anniversary (we were married there). We've not had the chance to go to shows during our trips in the past so we're planning on taking in a few different ones. We want to see Phantom of the Opera, but also want to go to one of the Cirque shows, but aren't sure which one.

So, who's been to what show? Anyone been to more than one? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
I can't say it enough, We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Beatles Love cirque.
Cocoa-orange/white; our little cuddle bug
Prince Henry-orange tabby; the baby of the bunch (my daughter's birthday present)
We love them all sooooo much!!!!
Sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Nynaeve
I've always thought peep poop would look like a tiny hershey's kiss.
I prefer bald guys

I think you can't go wrong with any of them, really.
My in-laws recently came to visit, and saw Mystere. They loved it, said it was just wonderful. It's been playing for 10 years (I think), that says alot about it.

My hubby and his co-workers bought his boss tickets to Love for his birthday, and boy were they expensive! He said that him and his wife really loved the show. I've heard only great things about this one! (well, them all really)

I suggest looking into Celine tickets too. My hubby got some free ones from work, and it was amazing! Not my usual style of music (quite different from my beloved Disturbed ), but her voice was beautiful! And, her show was created by the man who created the Cirque shows, so there were dancers, and always something to watch too. She's only going to be playing at Caesars for a few more months, so if that's something you'd like, go see it while you can!
Nynaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #11
DeterminedOne

I need to go with my gut on this one
You're probably in bed by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkiz View Post
I've seen Mystere, O and KA

Mystere is a very typical Cirque show (if it there can be such a thing!). Lots of really cool human stunts, things that make you hold your breath etc. No story line and lots of that weird "cirque" language when they sing.

O is similar, but w/ the added effect of water stunts (diving etc)

KA is the most different, because it relies on the story and the staginf to keep you engrossed. However, the technical details (like the stage and costumes) as well as the music are amazing. The story is really easy to follow even though there's no speaking. Then again, a lot of people don't like this one as much because there aren't as many "human" acts--everything is dependant on the stage (I don't want to give too much away)

I liked all three a lot. I LOVED KA. I loved the story, I loved the music, I LOVED the staging. It is quite honestly some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen. Jaw dropping. It's the only one of the 3 I would be willing to shell out the money to see again. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them though, KA is just my favorite.
I have seen Mystere, O and Ka as well. You described them all the way I would. The only difference is I loved O the most. My favorite of all is still La Nouba, but since we're talking Vegas, O is the best. IMO.

***1999~ALL STAR SPORTS***2001~PORT ORLEANS RESORT(DIXIE LANDINGS)***2002~ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE***2004~GRAND FLORIDIAN***2006~POLYNESIAN***
DeterminedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

I haven't seen Love or Zumanity......out of the other 3 I just LOVED O, great show!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #13
freckles and boo
I occasionally lurk on the UK board
I can't tell you all the stupid things I have seen my husband do while wearing sandals
Bird doo on my sheets isn't sexy

I saw "O" from the booth. It was mind-numbing in a good way.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Mystere is very Cirque-like (awesome, of course). Love seems to be the most surprising and very well received (if you're Beatles fans). Zumanity too is great. Cirque in a very adult and in your face style (quite erotic).

Re: Phantom. From what I've heard and read the Vegas version is significantly inferior to the Broadway version with the necessary changes and cuts, etc. Beware.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I can't say it enough, We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Beatles Love cirque.
We're going to Las Vegas in February and plan on getting tickets (they aren't on sale yet for February) to LOVE. We love dance and we love the Beatles, so I guess we can't go wrong! The LOVE soundtrack is very good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: