Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #76
VandyFan10
GoDoReS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-rn View Post
Yeah, Layering will probably be best. I know at nightfall those sweatshirts will come in handy.

I like your countdown...let's see what mine looks like. (knowing me it will probably be wrong..math is NOT my thing....)
50 days
1200 hours
72,000 mins
4,320,000 seconds

Here's the link Countdown if you'd like to use it.....I have it on my computer desktop and I LOVE it....so fun to go look at from time to time....I love looking at how many seconds I have !!!
May, Oct 2011 - Off Property
May, Sept, Dec 2012 - Off Property
Jan 2013 - Polynesian!
March, Sept, Dec 2013 - Off Property
Jan 2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas
**I really think I'm missing one or two

The Vandy Girls are BACK!!
MY FIRST TR!!!!! Our Christmas Trip in PICTURES!!!! ~~Oh...and I'm obsessed with the Castle~~
Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #77
princess-rn
"Why, it's like a dream. A wonderful dream come true"

Thanks! I LOVE it! My Math was off! Here's the TRUE countdown...
48 days
1,168 hours
70,125 minutes
4,207,490 secs

Watch out Disney..here we come!
May 2013 Our return to Disney! StarWars Weeknd!! POFQ December 2010-Mini Grand Christmas Gathering and 10 yr Anniversary Celebration!! POFQMay/June 2009-Star Wars Weekend repeat!! AND TOTAL SUPRISE trip for DS!!!POFQ December 2007- Christmas with the mouse!!! DTD Hilton, POFQ and GF!!! May 2005-Star Wars weekend !! POFQOctober 2004-Halloween with the mouse! POFQ October 2000- Our Magical Honeymoon!!! POFQ
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #78
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
...MORE DECORATING IDEAS

So, you guys know how I've been looking for a little table top tree to take to WDW right? Well today I had to go to Target and Walmart to pick up a few things and they have their CHRISTMAS decorations two aisles down from their HALLOWEEN decorations!!! (So sad..everyone forgets about turkey day!) Anyway....of course with me loving Christmas as much as I do I went over to check out the goods. I got EXTREMELY excited when I saw 2 foot with lights Christmas trees. One was the disney princesses and was all pink, the other was tinkerbell and it was purple. Oh, this was at Target btw...I ended up talking myself out of purchasing the tree. #1 I couldn't decide which one to get. #2 I have a 5 year old little boy. This trip is about him and not me!! And if he had to chose he would NOT chose a pink or purple tree. So, I went to Walmart and they too had little disney trees. Still 2 foot but they didn't have lights. They were green but they were still either tinkerbell or the princesses. So, I talked myself out of that too. HOWEVER, while I was there I found some little mini round "Cars" and "Pirates of the carribean" ornaments that would look great on mini tree. That way it would be about my son and he would LOVE that tree!! I picked them up and now all I have to do is hold onto them until we pull the Christmas decoration from the attic and I can find (hopefully) my little table top tree. If not, I 'm just going to have to buy one.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer. I REALLY liked the girlie trees!!! Maybe I'll just buy one to put in my house??? Sounds good right???

58 days and counting!!!!
DS has a blue Toy Story Tree we got at the Disney Store a few years ago. Try there.....They may have Cars or Rattatouille this year
Quote:
COUNTDOWN UPDATE!!!

50 DAYS 'TILL DISNEY!!!

We are about to be under the 50 day mark! I've been trying to read on here about what the weather is like in Orlando the first part of December. It sounds like it's alot like Alabama..but even more unpredicitible. Usually by the first of December we are pretty settled into our jeans and sweatshirts...but not always. I think it was last Thanksgiving, I was wearing shorts to get the Christmas lights up!

Anyway...this whole weight loss thing isn't really going the way I hoped. I'm not GAINING..but I'm not losing to much either. I've been working alot lately and it's very hard for me to plan to eat healthy when I'm at work. I've found that usually nurses don't eat very healthy...especially those of us that work evening or night shift. I'm still working on it though. I still have 50 days!

I did find some shorts on sale at gap.com. I bought them. We will see how they fit. I also bought a couple of pairs of jeans. What I need now is some long sleeved t-shirts. I have plenty of regular tshirts..but I don't have any LS. (I'm not usually a tshirt wearing kind of gal...UNTIL we go to disney!)

Anyway..those of you who have been in WDW in December...what on earth did you pack? I figure I will pack 5 oufits for each person. A nice mixture of shorts and pants. Our last day at POFQ we are planning to sleep in and then head over to DTD. I am planning to go down and wash clothes and repack them for the next half of our vacation. We usually do laundry anyway on one of our "sleep in days" It just makes things easier. What do you guys think? That way I don't have to pack 10 days worth of clothes!! (I can't BELIEVE I'm trying to condense my packing!)

Sorry for the babbling...these are the things that are running through my head right now.

Have a great weekend!
We spent most of our time in Jeans and t shirts...started out with sweatshirts or light jackets in the mornings, and wound up in T shirts by about noon. The evenings were COLD...needed our regular coats. I think it was unseasonably cold in 2005, though....I remember it being colder in Orlando than it was when we got on the plane in Philly The day we left it was 80 drgrees, so be prepared for anything. Layers are key!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #79
VandyFan10
GoDoReS!!!!

Quote:
...MORE DECORATING IDEAS

I REALLY liked the girlie trees!!! Maybe I'll just buy one to put in my house??? Sounds good right???

58 days and counting!!!!
I think that sounds GREAT!! I might go get one and I dont' even have kids .....Target is the best!! And who doesn't love ??

54 days
1311 hours
78712 minutes
4722727 seconds
I'm getting close to the 50 day mark!!
Jan 2013 - Polynesian!

MY FIRST TR!!!!! Our Christmas Trip in PICTURES!!!! ~~Oh...and I'm obsessed with the Castle~~
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #80
bornwiththeears
Disney Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
The Plan:

We will be driving down from Birmingham, Alabama. We've decided to drive instead of fly for a couple of reasons. #1 flexibility. We can leave for the trip what ever time of day we want. We can leave WDW for home whatever time of day we want. #2 We don't have to worry about how many bags we've packed or how we going to get souviners home or having them shipped to our house. (evern though there still are a couple of things I'm sure we will have shipped) #3 no waiting in long lines at the airport! [/COLOR]
Hi Princess-rn

There are plenty of us out here. I love the idea of your early pre-trip report. It is in the planning that we get the best ideas. We are going to drive for our Feb (Mardi Gras) trip for the above reasons. We flew last time (driving from Biloxi to Orlando is about 9 hours) and managed to spend almost 10 hours driving to and from the airport, waiting for boarding,etc. I am not crazy about flying so I didn't see the point if it does not save time. Besides, I bought so much we were so over the luggage limit we all had tremendous carry on bags.

I second the idea of O'Hanas. My family loved it and we are booking it again this trip. We are also in the minority of those who enjoy H & V. We had a really good meal there.

So keep the planning coming...I am going to stay plugged in to your report.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #81
VandyFan10
GoDoReS!!!!

Question

Quote:
The Plan:

We will be driving down from Birmingham, Alabama. We've decided to drive instead of fly for a couple of reasons. #1 flexibility. We can leave for the trip what ever time of day we want. We can leave WDW for home whatever time of day we want. #2 We don't have to worry about how many bags we've packed or how we going to get souviners home or having them shipped to our house. (evern though there still are a couple of things I'm sure we will have shipped) #3 no waiting in long lines at the airport!

It's about a 10-12 hr drive for us. [/COLOR]
We are driving also....from Nashvegas ....I have made it home from Orlando in 10 hrs...but I know that's a perfect 'not many stops' trip ....But really we are about the same 10-12 hrs....I assume you cut over to I-75 somehow??

I have a question for all of you here that have driven.. ..from I-75 once you get to (or outside of) Orlando what is the BEST way to get to WDW?? I would like to avoid the Toll Roads, but if that is the best and most direct I guess we'll be going that way not to go 'around the world' (literally or figuratively)

Is the Flordia Turnpike a Toll Road???

Princess do you or anyone else know the best route?? It's been awhile since I've driven to Orlando and to be honest I don't remember, and I think we were coming from Daytona and from there you can come straight in I-4

ANY info would be helpful... ...THANKS!!!
Jan 2013 - Polynesian!

Last edited by VandyFan10; 10-14-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #82
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

[QUOTE=Piglets Mommy;21291088]
We spent most of our time in Jeans and t shirts...started out with sweatshirts or light jackets in the mornings, and wound up in T shirts by about noon. The evenings were COLD...needed our regular coats. I think it was unseasonably cold in 2005, though...

I seem to remember it being cold in 12/05, too. That was an unseasonably cold December in Florida. I think the best thing to do is to pack layers, like above, and then check out the seven day forcast for Orlando on www.weather.com a day or so before you leave to see if you need the heavier coats (and the gloves and hats.)

...and I can't believe the stores are displaying Christmas stuff. Some stores around here even had it up at the end of September! I mean, I love Christmas, but not when it's still 90 degrees outside!

Good luck with finding the "boy tree"

Kathy
Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #83
princess-rn

PigletsMommy- Thanks! He would LOVE to have a toy story tree! I will look in to Disney store online. 'course he would love cars too. Thanks for the tip about the weather. I know it will be unpredictible so I don't even know why I'm trying to prepare. I am going to take a couple pairs of everything and just pray that I have enough. If not..I can always BUY more stuff right???

VandyFan...you should get the tree for yourself! It's so much fun going even without kids. I'm telling you our honeymoon was the BEST vacation yet. I don't know that we will ever be able to top it. Driving down from Nashvegas? Cool! LOVE Nashvegas! I haven't been in a long time though. You've made it back from Orlando in 10 hours!!!! My goodness!! Did you grow wings or something??? It usually takes us anywhere from 10-12 hours from B'ham. Now, that's with LOTS of stops for DS to go potty and stretch out a little. Also for DH and I to move those old bones around! We usually eat breakfast on the road but we stop for lunch and stop at some unique shops (and walmarts/targets) along the way. We don't go down I-75. It might be quicker though. We debated going that way in 2005 but then got soooo many people here telling us that there seems to always be road construction going on on I-75 and you can get caught up in that all the way down. I HATE getting stopped for road construction..so we take another route. We take I65 south through Montgomery then we get on US HWY 231 and stay on it until we get to I-10. Then we take I-10 until we hit I-75 and stay on it until we get to Orlando. Once we get into Orlando we just kind of try to follow mapquest directions. I'm not that familar with the area. I do remember a couple of toll roads from last time. Nothing major though.

bornwiththeears- first of all LOVE your name!! I think I was born with them too!!! Glad to hear I'm not alone with why I like to drive as oppose to fly to WDW. Most people around here think we are NUTS. I remember the drive in 2005 was actually quite fun. We are very excited about O'hanas. We've heard such good things about it. DH LOVED H&V..maybe I was just too hard on it! I just compared it to CM and CM is wonderful!!!

Kathyrn- I can't believe they have the Christmas stuff out either. Don't get me wrong I LOVE it..but can't we at least get Halloween out of the way??? How have you been doing? I haven't heard from you in a while.
May 2013 Our return to Disney! StarWars Weeknd!! POFQ December 2010-Mini Grand Christmas Gathering and 10 yr Anniversary Celebration!! POFQMay/June 2009-Star Wars Weekend repeat!! AND TOTAL SUPRISE trip for DS!!!POFQ December 2007- Christmas with the mouse!!! DTD Hilton, POFQ and GF!!! May 2005-Star Wars weekend !! POFQOctober 2004-Halloween with the mouse! POFQ October 2000- Our Magical Honeymoon!!! POFQ
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #84
VandyFan10
GoDoReS!!!!

Quote:
VandyFan...you should get the tree for yourself!
I may do that....but you definitely made me think...I have a little tree I put up every year, that is VERY special to me....so I might just take that with us!!

Quote:
It's so much fun going even without kids. I'm telling you our honeymoon was the BEST vacation yet. I don't know that we will ever be able to top it.

No kiddos for us yet....so I have yet to be at WDW with kids ....I always enjoy watching everyone elses kids.....and I dont' have to worry with them

Quote:
You've made it back from Orlando in 10 hours!!!! My goodness!! Did you grow wings or something??? It usually takes us anywhere from 10-12 hours from B'ham. Now, that's with LOTS of stops for DS to go potty and stretch out a little. Also for DH and I to move those old bones around! We usually eat breakfast on the road but we stop for lunch and stop at some unique shops (and walmarts/targets) along the way. We don't go down I-75. It might be quicker though. We debated going that way in 2005 but then got soooo many people here telling us that there seems to always be road construction going on on I-75 and you can get caught up in that all the way down. I HATE getting stopped for road construction..so we take another route. We take I65 south through Montgomery then we get on US HWY 231 and stay on it until we get to I-10. Then we take I-10 until we hit I-75 and stay on it until we get to Orlando. Once we get into Orlando we just kind of try to follow mapquest directions. I'm not that familar with the area. I do remember a couple of toll roads from last time. Nothing major though.
Yea we did make it back in 10Hrs one time...I think usually it's 11-11 1/2...but like I said that is the perfect trip.. ..hardly any stops, and great traffic flow

I actually just mapped the way we go through Atlanta and also through B-ham the way you said.....it's 700mi (and it says 10hr 43min) through Atl down I-75 and 763mi through Montgomery/hwy 231.....I think 231 is the way we just went to PCBeach and it's a nice 4 lane road but can take longer with the lights also.....for you it's about 30mi more to go through Atl but it's all interstate.....prob not much of a difference for you either way....definitely take the way you like!!
Jan 2013 - Polynesian!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #85
princess-rn

Vandyfan- Yep 231 is the way you probably go to PC Beach. That's the way we go. I do like taking 231 better and a big reason is because straight interstate driving tends to make me fall asleep. And we don't need that to happen.
I think taking that special tree with you would be great!! Especially since you are driving and you don't have to worry about transporting it at the airport. WDW is fun with our without kids. Our first time with our son we had to remind ourselves that we did have a little person with us and we needed to slow it down a bit.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #86
Lettie-RN
Earning My Ears

i want to join all the other RNs =)

I am sooo new to all this planning stuff!

Hubby and I are planning on shocking our will be 6 and 4 year old dtrs w/ an "xmas trip" in late jan or feb.

Santa is going to bring them each a totally awesome dress outfit and tickets to disney world! We are thinking of printing out maps and getting books about disney world etc for their other gifts.

I have so many questions about what to do / how to figure out how to do all this stuff but there are so many sites/forums and pages and pages that i am totally confused!

We are driving down from Charlotte, NC so figured it would be best to stay just outside of orlando and drive the rest of the way in the AM. Can we get in to one of the parks before we get checked in to our room? I have heard some talk about an "add on" nite.. what is that??

(that is just question one of one million!)

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Lettie
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #87
VandyFan10
GoDoReS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettie-RN View Post
I am sooo new to all this planning stuff!

Hubby and I are planning on shocking our will be 6 and 4 year old dtrs w/ an "xmas trip" in late jan or feb.

Santa is going to bring them each a totally awesome dress outfit and tickets to disney world! We are thinking of printing out maps and getting books about disney world etc for their other gifts.

I have so many questions about what to do / how to figure out how to do all this stuff but there are so many sites/forums and pages and pages that i am totally confused!

We are driving down from Charlotte, NC so figured it would be best to stay just outside of orlando and drive the rest of the way in the AM. Can we get in to one of the parks before we get checked in to our room? I have heard some talk about an "add on" nite.. what is that??

(that is just question one of one million!)

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Lettie
OHHHHH....I think that would be a WONDERFUL Christmas present!!!!!!

I'm assuming you are planning to stay on site.. ..and yes you can check in when you arrive even if your room is not ready....they will give you your park tickets and you can be on your way and come back to get your room later.....not sure about the 'add on' night I would love to know the answer to that also....and you are in the perfect place...a LOT of info but you can usually find out whatever your need is

You just reminded me saying you were a RN....I was going to tell Princess I'm not a nurse but I do get to wear scrubs (oh how I love wearing my pj's daily )....I'm a dental assistant

But ask away...I may know some more answers but you'll prob come up with a lot of questions that we all would like to know the answer to.....
Jan 2013 - Polynesian!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #88
Lettie-RN
Earning My Ears

next ?

what is

I have been boo'd ??
Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #89
princess-rn

Good questions!!!

Hi Lettie-RN! Nice to meet ya! You guys are going to have SO much fun especially since you are suprising the kids!! I didn't even think about doing that with DS. I could have NEVER kept the secret that long!! (We've been planning since January of this year for our December trip! I'm not a very good secret keeper! (Neither is DH)

Don't worry about being new to the planning thing. If you are like the rest of us you will jump right in and before you know it you're a Disney Mom!!! You've asked some very good questions that I don't know the exact answers to. If you arrive early on the day of your stay (no matter what time) go ahead and check in to your resort. They will hold your bags for you and give you your park ticket and you are set to go for the day. It's one of the many perks of staying in a disney resort. Which BTW..if you haven't made up your mind of where to stay I STRONGLY encourage you to stay in a Disney Resort. Alot of people assume it's way to expensive so they don't even look into it. It's not more expensive. Plus with the gas you save by traveling via Disney transportation (and there are more than buses!) I think you might even come out better. According to where you stay of course. Plus the disney theming in all resorts is just too fun!!!

The "add on nite" I was speaking of in this thread is just the add on DTD Hilton night. We were planning on leaving at midnight Saturday night to get to our resort on Sunday. We decided..bad idea I would probably fall asleep driving. So, we are leaving very early Saturday morning and arriving in Orlando on Saturday night. We wanted to stay somewhere different, instead of just adding on a night at our resort (which you CAN do if they still have rooms available) So we chose to DTD Hilton. We won't have park tickets that night..but that's ok. We are going to spend time in DTD which you don't have to have a ticket for. (I think there is a part..maybe pleasure island..that you need a ticket for..but not marketplace and that is where we are going!)

As far as your last question...I have NO idea what being boo'd means on here. I have been boo'd by neighbors with a fun halloween basket full of goodies.

Ask any questions you'd like. Feel free to PM me. You will find all the answers to your questions and more on this site. DIs boards is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #90
princess-rn

Vandyfan- Don't you LOVE being able to wear your PJs to work!!! LOL I'm a pediatric RN. I LOVE working with kids. (Considering I'm a big kid myself..that's probably a good reason! LOL)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: