Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
David & Anne-Marie
Mouseketeer

Fanny Packs / Waist Packs / Hip Packs

We're looking for suggestions for the "perfect" fanny pack (a.k.a. waist pack, hip pack) for use in the Magic Kingdom.

We'd like one that's not too big so as to interfere sitting down or with getting on rides, but still big enough to carry things like a small camera, a small bottle of aspirin, etc. A special slot for a cell phone might be nice, and possibly one for a water bottle too (?).

Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions as to specific pack or brand of packs? Perhaps a specific online store?

Thanks for any help!
01/2007: Port Orleans Riverside -- P&PP 1/24/07
09/2007: Port Orleans Riverside (Free Dining) -- NOJ 9/8/07 -- MNSSHP 9/14/07
01/2008: All Star Movies -- P&PP 1/21/08
11/2008: Port Orleans Riverside (Free Dining) -- MVMCP 11/16/08
01/2009: Pop Century
09/2009: Pop Century (Free Dining) -- MNSSHP 9/22/09
05/2010: Pop Century (Free Dining) and then The Dolphin -- Star Wars Weekend 5/30/10
David & Anne-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Don't do it!!!! Fanny packs and waist packs are so out of style and you will most likely get made fun of. Go with the baggilinni(sp?) or a backpack. Not many places even make fanny packs anymore that I'm a ware of. But save yourself some face and don't do it!! LOL!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
disgram
DIS Veteran

The fanny pack may not be "fashionable" but it is alot easier to carry than a backpack!!!! It also leaves your hands free and makes you stop and think about what you REALLY need to take to the various parks. You always think that you are going to need this or that but in reality, you find that you will really not need everything. LL Bean has a really nice one with all that you wanted. They come in various colors. There are pockets for the cell phone, a zipper pocket for your tickets, fastpasses, cash/credit cards and possibly a poncho. We have these fanny packs and just use them for WDW. When you are there, you will see many different "bags" and some are by far, worse than a fannypack! Lots of people use them! Go for the confort and hang "fashion"!
disgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
jagafen
Robo needs his own Bat-Light

Ignore that Jen...listen to this one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Don't do it!!!! Fanny packs and waist packs are so out of style and you will most likely get made fun of. Go with the baggilinni(sp?) or a backpack. Not many places even make fanny packs anymore that I'm a ware of. But save yourself some face and don't do it!! LOL!
The ONLY place I will wear a fanny pack is at a Theme Park. Backpacks are a pain, and you can keep your necessities near you. Also, I was watching MTV Cribs yesterday (nothing else on tv), and Hulk Hogan was wearing one during his tour....if they are cool enough for him (and he can pretend to kick your ***) they are cool enough for me!!

Previous Trips: 1989 Contemporary, 2008 AKL, 2008 2fer ASMo, 2010 Da Return to AKL
Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Our son, the reason we do it all
jagafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
famsen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If I am singled out to be made fun of in a place where there are 100,000 people each day just for wearing a fanny pack then I guess I will be the laughing stock of WDW for probably a dozen or so faux pas that I will committing such as: wearing crocs, wearing shorts when my legs are not tan enough, wearing short sleeves when my arms aren't toned enough, not having the perfect body but still wearing a swimsuit, etc.

'93:Disney Inn '94:Dixie Landings '95Wilderness Lodge '97:Contemporary '98: CBR '01:Contemporary:'06:POFQ
'07:SSR '08: May:Pop Century; AKV First Trip as DVC Members Sept:AKV
5/09:AKV Jambo & AKV Kidani 9/09:AKV Kidani 12/09:Girls Only SSR 4/10:WL(Shuttle Discovery Launch) 5/10:BWV 9/10:AKL 9/11: BWV/AKL 9/12: AKL
famsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Disney Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgram View Post
The fanny pack may not be "fashionable" but it is alot easier to carry than a backpack!!!! ...Go for the confort and hang "fashion"!
Plus you don't have to worry about forgetting your backpack or messenger bag somewhere, which I could easily see myself doing. I don't think wearing a fanny pack is the most attractive look, and I don't use one anywhere else but at WDW. It is very convenient, especially since all I need to bring with me are tickets, camera, phone and sunscreen, which fits nicely in the fanny pack.
Disney Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I feel sorry for anyone that goes to WDW and has time to make fun of someone wearing a fanny pack. I have a lot better things to do! I love my fanny pack; it holds my camera, tickets, etc. and my hands are free to look at all the Disney merchandise!!
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
tinklvr64
Basin Fanatic

I use a small coach swingpack...you can wear it across your body, on one shoulder, or tighten it up to wear around your waist. It has alot of room, but not for carrying water bottles thats too heavy anyways. A little expensive but I have had mine for 5 years and I use it whenever I go on va-ca, or shopping and dont want my whole purse with me.
tinklvr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
ENSOCK
DIS Veteran

We went to Disney last summer. I had purchased 2 fanny packs from ebags.com. By the end of the 4th day if it did not fit into our pockets or could not hang by a clip from our belts we did not carry it! Hubby did not want to wait in the long line to get into the parks.

Go and have fun and don't worry about what anyone has to say.

Tina
ENSOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
famsen
DIS Veteran

To the OP: Fanny Packs can be found almost anywhere. I have seen them most recently at Walgreen's, Wal Mart, Kohl's and Target. They are very inexpensive.

Actually, if I heard anyone making fun of me I would totally make a joke of it to them and laugh it off by saying "Oh don't be hatin' just because you're not wearing the hotest fashion trend."

'93:Disney Inn '94:Dixie Landings '95Wilderness Lodge '97:Contemporary '98: CBR '01:Contemporary:'06:POFQ
'07:SSR '08: May:Pop Century; AKV First Trip as DVC Members Sept:AKV
5/09:AKV Jambo & AKV Kidani 9/09:AKV Kidani 12/09:Girls Only SSR 4/10:WL(Shuttle Discovery Launch) 5/10:BWV 9/10:AKL 9/11: BWV/AKL 9/12: AKL
famsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

I have one by High Sierra. It's not too big, but holds a ton. Lots of pockets for organizing, plus it can be converted to be worn across the body, rather than simply as a waist pack. And it's waterproof, so I didn't have to worry about my stuff when I went on Splash Mt. or Kali. Backpacks can get hot and uncomfortable in the parks. I wouldn't worry about being a fashion plate at WDW. From what I've seen, it must be the fanny pack capital of the world.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
cinderella73
I stand for strollers at wdw and peanut free schools!

I have one that I store my epi pens in . I got it really inexpensive at Wal-Mart by the bag and purses ( heading towards the wallets and umbrella's ). It has a few different compartments in it so you can store money and other things seperate. It was under 10.00 (maybe 6.00 I think ) and not to bad looking or badly made as far as those things go. No it may not be stylish to wear to the mall but to WDW everyone has one. Its the one place you have to throw fashion out the window in exchange for comfort or you will be miserable. Take it from someone who once wore shoes with a heel one them ! Learned my lesson!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
I'mNoPrince
AlterEgo tmt martins
a bit of Color

This is the one we purchased (2 of them ) for our last trip.

They are great that they expand a bit when you fill them but are very compact when not.

Another good thing is the straps can be tucked into the back and it's like a small hand carrier.

I have the Granit ,DW has the Pimento and DM just ordered the Berry.

http://www.rei.com/product/747530

1974 OS.. 2000 June A-SS.. 2000 Oct OS.. 2001 June ASMo.. 2001 Sept. DL OS.. 2002 July CBR.. 2002 Oct OS.. 2003 Apr/Oct OS.. 2003 June CSR .. 2004 Apr/Oct OS.. 2004 June CBR.. 2005 Apr OS.. 2005 June DL PP.. 2005 Oct MNSSHP PC... 06 Feb 1day DL..2006 June SSR 1st trip home.. 2006 Oct MNSSHP POFQ.. 2006 DEC SSR MVMCP.. 2007 June BCV 1st..2007 Aug VBR 1st..2008 July BWV / AKV ...2009 June VWL/BCV...
[
I'mNoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I don't worry about being fashionable at Disney. And I would much rather wear a fanny pack then have another strap digging into my shoulders. Plus, I know that if I had to take off my shoulder bag to ride a ride, I would most likely forget it somewhere. Who cares about being in style when you are at Disney?
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: