Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Wish Trip Pre Trippie Sept 2007-#117 Gluten, Egg, Corn free girl goes Foodie at WDW

The Cast Photo

Table of Contents

Post #1 Cast photo
Post #2 Let the introduction begin
Post #5 Very basic itinerary
Post #9 WDW food allergy contact information
Post #10 The dress the mice made for cinderella and Aurora's dress
Post #19 The story of a dream
Post #20 College accepts homeschool transcript, Children Lose Insurance
Post #21 Insurance Argh!
Post #22 Princess Dress Pattern
Post #29 DD gets Accupunture
Post #30 Preliminary Itinerary
Post #38 RG Goes to Ozzfest, Iron tastes Gross!
Post #43 How to take food with you on the plane if you have food allergies
Post #49 Planning for the dream: The itinerary
Post #50 Black Ear Envy: A note for all you DH's
Post #58 Humana Insurance company folks were nice
Post #71 Brother Pokes DD in eye, Scary day at Eye Clinic
Post #81 GKTW called Today, no need to bring food on plane, they have an allergy shopper at GKTW
Post #91 As the ant's in the Backyard, so goes the itinerary (really the itinerary is firming up)
Post #94 Petsitter arranged, Songs of Love Calls
Post #95 Tie Dye shirts done w/Pics
extra posts will update later
Post #117 Gluten, Corn, Egg, and (mostly) grain free girl goes foodie at WDW

Last edited by Who'syourMickey; 09-13-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Let the introduction begin!

Cast & Crew (this is my first trip report but not our first Disney trip)

Grandma-my Mom, will be referred to as Grandma. She took me to Disneyland as soon as I could walk, about five or ten times a year between school, summer day camp, and with cousins, until we moved away from California when I was nine. She still managed to make sure we could visit Disneyland every year or two after that. My Mom is taking time off from her job at grocery store as a demo lady. In a former life she was a social worker, and a secretary. She is semi retired, and likes to sew and play pongo, solitare, ma quong...I am probably not getting those names right. She's in Vegas right now taking care of her sister who fell and had surgery, so she is not here for all the pre trippie action. She's been widowed for 22 years and enjoys being close to the Grandchildren, so much that she lives with us. She has a torn ligament in her knee, and is postponing her knee surgery until after the trip. She has made arrangements to rent a wheelchair that will fit in the back of the rental van. If she were here, she would be making matching outfits and princess dresses.

Me-Who'syourMickey herself, although, my favorite character is Jiminy Cricket. Having grown up with the mouse, then to move far away was very traumatic for me. As a nine years old, I would dream of Disneyland and the beach, and then wake up not near them anymore and it was sad for me in a way that probably only disboard readers can understand. Being an only child, I wished for a large family and met a man who was from a large family that wanted a large family too. I am the do it yourself type. We had homebirths, and built our own home, remodeled two fixer upper homes, and homeschooled. We practice medicine out of the healthfood store so much that losing the children's insurance last week leaves me with not a total sense of doom. I have a gut feeling that things are still going to be ok. I'm the type that could appreciate life on the flip side, if we downsized to a little trailer at a campground to afford medical bills, there would be less chores, and less stuff to have to organize. And we could take our home traveling on the weekends. So, bring it on!

DH-who will be referred to as Dh. Grew up in the midwest away from Disney never having experienced it. Dh is funny, soft spoken, loving, and kind, to everyone except me (kinda joking, kinda not..after 20 years of marriage..we are both on each other's last nerve). He manages a home theater company that is owned by his brother and two of his sisters work there too. His idea of a fun family vacation is to pack everyone in the car and do a road trip. I tapped into this fact quickly and used it to snag three long road trips to Disney, one to WDL and two to WDW. Each trip was a wam bam, drive straight there stopping only for gas, ordering food from a drive through, going to the bathroom, (all done at the same exit), see the park one day, bring your own waters and food in a backpack type experience. DH used to be a workaholic but after a surgery a couple years ago, has has slowed down. He spends his down time fixing up our fixer upper house we own now, and playing Halo 2. He likes watching movies at home on our new flatscreen tv, where he also can see movies in High Definition..I have to admit I like it too. He has chemical sensitivity, so going out takes a lot out of him.

DS-nicknamed oh I don't know, feel a little bad about labeling but here goes how about "rockgeek". A cross between a computer nerd and a rocker, or it could on some days be for his rigid thinking or tendancy to sit in the same place for hours at a time without moving (idunno ). He loves computers, loves driving, he just turned 18, he's enrolling in college seeking a degree in computer information systems. He was a wish kid when he was six and his wish was a CD rom computer. He has chemical sensitivity. Gamer...er Rockgeek, (almost forgot his new nickname) is applying for his first real job doing linux payroll for a really nice company with sweet benefits. He just got a above the ear haircut for this, so he looks quite different. He will be attempting to work full time, go to school part time and still have time for his current passion the World of Warcraft online video game while living at home. He is anxiously awaiting the release of Halo 3, and is a professional level player on halo. He loves rock music, from the classics to todays music. He loves movies. He would love to have a red convertable, like a pontiac solstice. He prefers to stay in his room playing on the computer and video games. He has ASD tendancies.

DD-Age 14, nicknamed here after AAAT girl short for: All Attitude All the Time. AAAT girl loves to cook and is quite a gifted cook, has helped to invent reciepes that her younger sister on a restricted diet can eat. She loves playing Halo2 and is joining an all girls clan. She loves her cell phone. She wants to drive. She loves horses. She has her own petsitting business and she earned enough to pay for her own riding lessons for a year. Right now she is looking around for a job at a stable where she can work around horses and animals, or as a grocery bagger, she just wants to get out there. She is very social and likes going to movies and hanging out with friends. She is looking forward to the trip. I might be wanting to keep track of these gray hairs she's giving me so I am installing gps locator service on her cell phone. muhahahaha. Her Favorite character is Elizabeth Swann.

DS-Age 11, nickname will be ds...he would get upset about a nickname and it wouldn't be pretty. He doesn't do joking. Ds likes rollercoasters, golf, legos, movies, playing Halo 2, and his miniature schnauser, Spot. favorite character Captain Jack Sparrow. DS is the sensitive type, sweet, caring, and mellow, until suddenly he unleashes the pent up passive agressive explosion without warning, usually in an "I can't take it anymore", directed at his sister's, which he thinks he has far too many of. Fun times.

DD-Age 9, affectionately called Catgirl, another with ASD type tendancies. She lives in an imaginary world called Baby Kitty land that she created for herself and her sister to live in. They used to go there all the time, but they play other things now too. It is an elaborately planned make believe world that would probably have impressed Walt himself. All of the details about Babykittyland are a secret, so no one will steal the ideas and she can write them in a book she's making. She likes pink, and leopard print things, diva type funk, cats, and princesses. Her favorite princess is Aurora. She is allergic to egg.

DD-Age 7, this is our wish child, her wish is long...not like these other wish kids with short wishes....to meet Cinderella at her castle, ride with her in her carriage, sleep in a princess bed, dress like a princess, ride horses, swim with dolphins, go to an arcade and the lego store, and help raise money and awareness of the need for a new retinal eye camera at the eye center she goes to, the KU Eye Center. We were hoping to help organize a walk a thon to help raise money for the camera and use her time on the news to talk about how much they need one. There might even be some things on there I forgot but she's probably forgot them too. Oh, see the zoo with at Disney with daddy was on there. ACK she meant ANIMAL KINGDOM....we know now from our lurkdom on the disboards that it's not a zoo!!!! DD is not above not letting her siblings know exactly why and because of who they are enjoying this Disney trip. When they grumble grumble about riding the dumbo ride, they can just remember to stick around because...she likes rollercoasters! She will have a medical stroller as a wheelchair. She has severe stomach pain and was on an all milk diet for three of the last five months. When we added back foods one at a time it appears like she has some severe food allergies. So far we have added only the foods she doesn't react to, so she now has eight foods milk, sugar, maple syrup, strawberries, cocoa, quinoa, pork, and beef. I was hoping to have an elaborate list of foods she could eat by the trip. We're working to get her iron up but all irons make her sick, and having one special made with just ferrus sulfate and water that doesn't make her sick is what I should be doing now instead of writing this Pre Trippie. This will be her second trip to Disney, her first trip was when she was six months old, so it's her first trip riding the rides.

Last edited by Who'syourMickey; 07-23-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: tooo many typos
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
pixe*dst
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to reading more. Beautiful family photo too!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixe*dst View Post
Looking forward to reading more. Beautiful family photo too!
Thanks for liking my pre trippie. I thought maybe it was tmi. I love the picture too, it was a gift from our insurance company, we are with Farm Bureau and they do this for all of the families. If you wonder why everyone looks so good, it is because they take ten pics and photoshop all of the best heads with no blinkies together. We only needed one head switched in that shot.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Very Basic Itinerary

Trip Dates: September 19-25th. First time on plane for youngest three children: attitude about plane ride: apprehensive and a little scared.

ADR's & Ressies:

21st 1900 Park Faire Dinner (at Grand Floridian Cafe during Park Fair Remodel)
6:30 for only dh and Who'syourmickey, and our two little princesses. YAY, I just saw the menu thread and dd can eat prime rib there. I will call the chef ressie place ahead of time and let them know her food restrictions. I am wondering if they could modify strawberry soup for her to be able to eat it. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Fairy Godmother, and Suzi and Perla will be there. So we don't have to stress about anything happening that would cause us not to meet Cindy during the trip.

We are going to Discovery Cove one day, everyone except RockGeek who doesn't do "dolphins" we have two scuba masks and one snorkel bought so they can practice breathing out of their mouth, which takes some getting used to.

We have choices of many different parks to see, a 4 day disney park hopper. universal studios/islands of adventure 2 day park hopper, or we could do Busch Gardens in Tampa, or places like the Kennedy Space Center. So, there are choices to be made of where to go. MK, AK, Epcot, MGM, Universal both parks, plus there are a long list of places that give free tickets to the wish child, or discounted tickets. There are more places than days, so decisions have to be made. Probably based on rollercoasters. My problem is, since she's never been on a rollercoaster, we don't know if she's the kind of kid that gets motion sickness, and can't do the upside down rides. DD is 46 inches. She doesn't fear the yeti. Who'syourMickey does get motion sickness, so dh takes all the spinny rides like the teacups or things that go upside down or have the word "whirl" in them. Alternative activities must happen for Who'syourMickey and Grandma during these times. DD does not want to see any shows. Alternative trip plans need to be made: plan A for dd who can go upside down and be fine, and plan b if it's only the tame rollercoasters. I wish there was a way to tell what her ride comfort level was before we got there.

We opted out of Seaworld and upgraded to discovery cove by paying for the adult tickets. When I called to pay though, they said "don't worry, they take it out of the spending money that each family gets". I was like ok...we get spending money? Sigh of relief, I can quit scrounging for change in the ick inbetween the cushions of the couch. YAY! the 21st might also be our DC day, the same as our ressie at the GF.

We made the dates to correspond with something of interest to the entire family since they are all gamers, the MLG tournament will be the 21st-23rd and we hope to meet some of the parents and players that AAAT girl plays with online. So far we have six or seven families we would like to be introduced to. I do not know quite what at this time their involvement in that tournament will be. I would like to have AAAT girl get to spend a day there but she will need a chaperone.

Last edited by Who'syourMickey; 08-31-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Yay! Another GKTW trip!

Great start and too funny about that picture. Its great!
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Who's your Mickey:

Awesome! You have as many kids as I do ! LOL. I always feel like I am borderline "National Enquirer" material. People do stop and stare when we are all at the mall or grocery store. LOL...

I have seen, although I couldn't tell you where, a phone number for someone with Disney who arranges meals for special dietary needs. My bet is that Sue, the moderator on the DisAbilities board, would know something, or it would be in the stickys there.

Elisa
Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
Yay! Another GKTW trip!

Great start and too funny about that picture. Its great!
Wendy, I was inspired to write this from reading your TR. I hope to get posted a pic of dd meeting with her dream volunteer and some information about our local dream organization so other parents of wish children can see what a wish trip looks like with older children. Not all dream organizations are alike. Our's would let us add on extra days at our expense if we wanted to (we can't though), but Bil Lin's organization doesn't do that.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

WDW food allergy contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5dwarves View Post
Who's your Mickey:

Awesome! You have as many kids as I do ! LOL. I always feel like I am borderline "National Enquirer" material. People do stop and stare when we are all at the mall or grocery store. LOL...

I have seen, although I couldn't tell you where, a phone number for someone with Disney who arranges meals for special dietary needs. My bet is that Sue, the moderator on the DisAbilities board, would know something, or it would be in the stickys there.

Elisa
We hardly ever go out together. #1 We don't all fit in one car at home, but on this wish trip we will have an 8 passenger van. Yeah, I know what you mean about the stares, maybe if we do get more matching T-shirts like the ones above, we will look like a "grand gathering". LOL. We only wore those T-shirts for the picture and they are put up at the top of my closet waiting for the disney trip. I want to print off some of the custom decals from the disboards for those shirts, that will be one day's clothes down.

Here is the contact information for eating at Disney with special needs in case anyone is interested.

Robert Adams
Executive Chef
MAGIC KINGDOM Foods
407-824-5967

Brenda Bennett
MAGIC KINGDOM Foods
407-824-5967
brenda.bennett@disney.com

They sent me a huge packet of information on eating at disney with food allergies. Unfortunately, my dd's being so severe with corn, egg, wheat, and no grain but quinoa, I think we will be packing her food. The only people who can cater to her needs at MK would be the chefs at the fancy sit down places. Maybe some of the places that have an all beef burger. See, I really don't have this trip planned yet at all! Yikes! On tap for my planning is to see if Orlando has a HyVee or a Whole Foods. As long as I have those two stores, I'm good. I have been carrying around a lunchbox igloo cooler with her foods everywhere, but I did see these fashionable cooling purses, but I really need to find some indication of how long those keep foods (like her special milk) cool in the September heat of Florida.

Last edited by Who'syourMickey; 08-31-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

The Dress the mice made for Cinderella and Aurora's dress

Sure enough, Grandma called. She said to send her fabric and stuff to make princess dresses and measurements. She's got a sewing machine there. The dresses will be Aurora for , and a custom dress for dd, which needs to look like the dress that the mice made. Tricky. I saw one on ebay and it will look like that only I hope to make some changes to that basic design so it looks more like this. I think we should lose the big bow at the front and do something smaller and more delicate like ribbon. Also I am hoping to snag some kind of hidden pocket detail with very tiny miniature mice inside, if anyone knows where I can find teeny tiny mice. really miniature ones, I will ask this seller the size of these plush toys of the mice. If anyone knows who sells a small strand of teal beads, lmk.

Last edited by Who'syourMickey; 08-31-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Hey Who's your Mickey:

Brenda Bennet was the name that I had seen posted. Glad to see you have it. As far as specialty grocery stores go, I don't know what Orlando has either...we have called Fresh Foods...my sister has one called Trader Joe's (chain in the West Coast)....

Definitely post pics of grandma's dresses, and let all of us with little boys live vicariously. The mice dress is an awesome idea!

There is a link on my TR for a thread about tie dye mickey t-shirts and swirl painted Mickey shirts. The kids and I are making them tomorrow...I want to do lime green and bright blue, but I may have to defer to red and blue to get the "big boys" to wear them....We'll see. Don't forget about the washers and dryers in your villa at GKTW....I doubt I will pack 7 outfits for all 7 of us...
Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5dwarves View Post
Hey Who's your Mickey:
Definitely post pics of grandma's dresses, and let all of us with little boys live vicariously. The mice dress is an awesome idea!

There is a link on my TR for a thread about tie dye mickey t-shirts and swirl painted Mickey shirts. The kids and I are making them tomorrow...I want to do lime green and bright blue, but I may have to defer to red and blue to get the "big boys" to wear them....We'll see. Don't forget about the washers and dryers in your villa at GKTW....I doubt I will pack 7 outfits for all 7 of us...

I sure will do post a pic of Grandma's dresses. I have a 50% coupon for JoAnns so maybe I'll check them out. It was dd's request to have the dress the mice made! It was the disboard ladies on another thread that pointed me to that cindy dress the mice made on ebay.

I am so thankful for the washers and dryers at GKTW. I'm thinking maybe three sets of clothes each? I saw the tie dye threads!!!! I am so excited to see another Mom with the same size family as us planning a trip. It does change the dynamics of planning quite a bit when more people are involved
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Matching/coordinating outfits! I hated them prior to the trip but loved the way they look in the pictures. I would probably plan to bring 7 or so outfits knowing that sometimes you are in different clothes day and evening due to the weather and/or getting dirty and/or activity. Just my .02. You may also check with your wish organization to see if they are giving the wish child or the kids t-shirts from their organization that they will need to wear. Michael and Danae got a T from MAW that they strongly recommended we wear when we got off the plane. I just tossed Michael's over his overalls when we landed but just so you know. The reason for this is to make it easier for the GKTW volunteers to spot you at the airport.

I love the idea of Cinderella's dress that the mice made. That is too cute! Could she just embroider a couple mice into the pocket? You have been to the Custom Clothes thread on the Family boards, right?
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

oooo...very cool....embroidered mice in the pockets of the Cinderella dress...what a good idea!

I have only thought of the one matching shirt for Disney, the tie dye one. Even then, my husband is a big man...He is afraid he will look ridiculous. I might do his shirt, and he just might leave it at the villa. We will see how that goes. He is dang picky too...We got him a few new things before the trip..."me...how about this shirt...no only old men wear plaid ...how about this shirt...I don't like that color...how about this shirt...it is sissy lookin'..." he is high maintenance!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

oh, yes, Wendy, I love your idea! embroidered mice on a secret pocket, "kind of" hidden but that shows if she twirls...what a dream dress...maybe with a little bell that tinkles..kind of like "what is that noise?" Oh, just my little mice friends.

Ok...more outfits than 3. I have thought long and hard about those black shirts and I think a decal that is custom that says "_______ Dream Factory Wish Trip 2007" with something (don't know what yet) in the background. I don't know if we should put actual names on the shirts because of stranger's. Or if we should, because it's fun and it's a disney mousecateer type of tradition. Something that the boys wouldn't mind wearing too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: