Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
robinb
DIS Veteran

Help! 16-month old dog STILL poops in the house! Arrrggg!

Warning! This is a long post with a lot of background information!

I have a 16-month old Standard Poodle and she still poops in the house once every 2-3 weeks. She has four "preferred pooping places": the hallway outside the front door, upstairs on the TV room carpet and downstairs in the basement (2 places). I should own shares of the company which makes Nature's Miracle, because I buy it in the gallon size! BTW, if she is locked in her crate all day she can hold it.

When she was a puppy I walked her every couple of hours as suggested by just about everyone. I was home, so it wasn't a big deal. Sometimes I would walk her and sometimes I would let her outside on a leash. About half the time she would come in from her walk and ... poop in the house. When she pooped outside I made a big deal about it telling her she was a smart dog and giving her treats. Mistake #1: If she pooped inside I would yell at her and put her in her crate while I cleaned it up. I was just too frustrated that she wasn't "getting it". Mistake #2: I would let her roam around the 1st floor because I wanted her to be around me. That allowed her sneak off and potty in the house. Mistake #3: I think the constant walking worked against me as she was not learning that she could hold it if she tried. Mistake #4: My DD would come home from school and then the puppy had full access to the house and could go upstairs to poop too!

So ... after months of this and my 12 month old dog still pottying in the house on a regular basis, I laid down the law. The dog would be (1) In her crate or (2) tied up to a piece of furniture. This was just about the time I realized that she didn't know that she could hold it while loose. She didn't want to poop in her crate so she didn't, but she had no problem pooping elsewhere. In the past 4 months things have gotten a lot better. Her acceptable range for being loose is now the whole kitchen, the living room and dining room. I have not had a problem with those areas for about 2 months.

I also finally realized two weeks ago that she who controls the food controls the poop action. I used to free feed her like we free fed our last dog (a Japanese Akita who was potty trained while we were both working full time). I now feed her 20-30 minutes before I plan to walk her and the food is picked up as we go out the door. She is walked 3 times a day for about 15 minutes: in the morning, in the late afternoon and again right before I go to bed, but only fed before the first two walks. I knew that there was a physiological connection between eating and the need to poop in puppies, but I didn't know it was the same with older dogs.

So ... this Monday I expanded her "freedom" area to include the whole 1st floor. with a baby gate at the top of the stairs. I also expanded her nighttime area to be the same from just the kitchen. If I limit her with just a baby gate when I'm not around (asleep, out of the house) she'll jump it but she can't do that from the stairs. Two nights ago she woke me up at about 3:00 AM barking so I went down and put her in her crate where she quieted down. I found the poop in the hallway in the next morning. She had been walked at 11:00 PM but didn't poop on the walk. I know that if she had been locked in her crate she would have held it.

So ... finally here are my questions! Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I scold her when she poops in the house? Should I act disgusted? Should I take two steps back and limit her to the kitchen? Or just one step back to the LR/DR/Kitchen? And what about the poop "hot spots"? Is there anything I can do to help her realize that the hall is NOT a place to poop? Should I tie her in the hall for a period of time so she considers it part of her den?

Sorry this was so long! This is really driving me crazy and I am open to any advise. I just wanted you to know everything that I had tried and the mistakes I made along the way. *sigh* My Akita was so much smarter than my Poodle on this one! On the bright side, my Poodle doesn't destroy the house or try to eat other dogs like the Akita did.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Well you seem to be on the right road. Scolding doesn't work even seconds after the popping (you can have your vet confirm that). When my dog barks in the middle of the night it is 4 one reason only I need to go out NOW! This has only happened 3 times in 6 years...once when she was being crate trained and a puppy and the second time when she ate something that made her sick.
Good Luck...post a picture!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

You feed the dog 3 times a day, is that right? A full size dog only needs to eat once a day if that.

How much protein is in the food? Too much makes the dog go too much and that is not good on a dog's system.

How many times is the dog going per day?

I feed our dogs once a day, in the evening. I am still not happy with the consistency. I am going to begin the switch to something else.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Scraper
DIS Veteran

I have house broke many dogs. One big mistake. Never let your puppy have free roam of the house untill they have gone outside. If you take them out on the leash and they don't go bring them in and put them in their kennel. Once they go outside praise them take there leash off and then let them run the house for a little bit. take them back out and them put them in the kennel till next time. In order to correct this you most get rid of the smell and kennel her untill she is house broke. Only let her run the house for about one hour and only after she has gone outside. Good Luck
Aug.2006BCV. Oct.2006 BWV.
Dec.22,2006OKW. May 2007 BCV
Sept. 3, 2007,BCV. Sept 7,2007 All star S.
Oct.2007 BWV&POR Dec.2007 AKV&OKW.
May 2008 BCV . Sept. 2008 BCV. Nov.2008 BCV. Dec. 2008 BWV.
May 2009 BCV. Aug. 2009 BLT, WLV, BCV, All Star Sports
Oct.2009 WLV, Nov.2009 BWV, March 2010 OKW, July 2010 BCV.
Sept.2010 BCV AKV BWV. Nov.2010 VWL. MAY 2011 OKW.
Aug. 2011 BCV. Nov.2011 AKV. May2012 BCV, Aug. 2012 BCV,
May 2013 BCV> Aug. 2013 BCV, Oct. 2013 WLV.
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
bbump
Always trying to book a new trip.....

throw potty parties....

Our stubborn pug puppy has been a goofy one to train...so we started to throw potty parties each time he went potty outside properly.

After he goes potty outside, we cheer and act all excited and shout "yeah!!!!Good boy!!! You went potty outside!!!! wooo hooo!!!!" (to that extent)
then we have him sit by our fridge and he gets a cheese chunk.

We have a small tupperware container in our fridge with small cheese chunks in them, so he knows when he goes potty right, he gets a really good treat.....

Yes, it's a little nerdy, and yes, sometimes walking neighbors give us a weird look when they have caught us throwing the potty party...but it worked really well..... Plus our pug is so proud of himself.
He holds his head up really high when he sits by the fridge waiting for his cheese chunk.

Good luck with your adorable dog!!!

Me -
Hubby -
DD (11) -
Pugsly the Pug -
bbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook

This sounds gross, but it did work for us. Take the poop outside and place it where you want her to go, taking her with you and repeating "potty OUTSIDE" in a firm voice (but not a raised one). Continue to praise her for going outside. Took my baby only a couple of weeks of this before it finally seemed to click.

Thankfully, my dachshund's poop was probably a lot smaller than your standard poodle's!
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbump View Post
Our stubborn pug puppy has been a goofy one to train...so we started to throw potty parties each time he went potty outside properly.

After he goes potty outside, we cheer and act all excited and shout "yeah!!!!Good boy!!! You went potty outside!!!! wooo hooo!!!!" (to that extent)

We have a small tupperware container in our fridge with small cheese chunks in them, so he knows when he goes potty right, he gets a really good treat.....

Yes, it's a little nerdy, and yes, sometimes walking neighbors give us a weird look when they have caught us throwing the potty party...but it worked really well..... Plus our pug is so proud of himself.
He holds his head up really high when he sits by the fridge waiting for his cheese chunk.

Good luck with your adorable dog!!!
We did the same thing....I still carry one when she goes outside...six years of pottie parties here and then the little treat. Shame on our stuffy neighbors I know they think we are nuts about our dog and the funny thing is they are 100% right!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
You feed the dog 3 times a day, is that right? A full size dog only needs to eat once a day if that.

How much protein is in the food? Too much makes the dog go too much and that is not good on a dog's system.

How many times is the dog going per day?
I feed her twice a day, once in the morning and once in the late afternoon. I put the food down about 20-30 minutes before we go out and then pick it up when we go out so she only has 20-30 minutes to eat. It's a new things for me as I was used to free feeding be that wasn't working for my pooper pupper. I feed her Canidae which is a good quality food with 24% protein (http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html) and I'm fine with the consistency . Do you think I should cut back to just ONCE a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper View Post
I have house broke many dogs. One big mistake. Never let your puppy have free roam of the house untill they have gone outside.
Yes, that was one of my mistakes I admitted to. She's no longer a puppy though and she is now 100% crate trained. It's 2-3 places in the rest of the house I have a problem with! I also can't lock her up in her crate for the rest of her life. I am trying to extend the "den" instict for the crate to the rest of the house. Do you think I going about it the wrong way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbump View Post
Yes, we do that too. I bring treats on the walk with me. She was peeing the other day late at night and I was saying "Good girl! Good potty!" and a voice came out the house I was in front of: "Get your ^&*^&% dog off my lawn!". I *almost* left him a present on his front steps in the morning .

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlak View Post
This sounds gross, but it did work for us. Take the poop outside and place it where you want her to go, taking her with you and repeating "potty OUTSIDE" in a firm voice (but not a raised one). Continue to praise her for going outside.
Thanks! I'll give that a try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
When my dog barks in the middle of the night it is 4 one reason only I need to go out NOW!
I just don't want her to get in the habit of waking me up either. I think that if she were in her crate she would have held it the whole night.

Here's a picture from a few months ago:

It's a good thing she's beautiful because she's not SMART!

Keep 'em coming! I'm at the end of my rope on this one!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: