Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #811
disney777
DIS Veteran

http://www.pearlwishes.com/products.html

You can find the oysters and jewelry here.
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #812
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecupcakes View Post
I picked a pearl this past week at Epcot in Japan. As the girl was opening the oyster she told me this was a, "very special oyster" and asked me if I knew why. I said..."uh oh, why?" There were two of them! I believe about 61/2 cm if I remember correctly. They were twin pearls

I have a picture of the final product, including the settings I bought in Epcot. I surprised my mom and put one of the pearls in a necklace for her as a huge thank you for our awesome trip. I chose a simple ring setting. She left the store while I was choosing a setting and she cried when I showed her the finished product and that I was giving one to her.

Hope this helps someone!
Aww thats a real nice story and lovely jewellery too!

i know i asked before but does anybody know if it's possible to get a special case or something for the pearl if you didn't want it set as jewellery ? Maybe with Disney characters or Epcot on it or something - i just think it could make a great souvenir to take home.

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Disneyland Resort California - April 2013
izzie-wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #813
Stephanie VanMeter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecupcakes View Post
I picked a pearl this past week at Epcot in Japan. As the girl was opening the oyster she told me this was a, "very special oyster" and asked me if I knew why. I said..."uh oh, why?" There were two of them! I believe about 61/2 cm if I remember correctly. They were twin pearls

I have a picture of the final product, including the settings I bought in Epcot. I surprised my mom and put one of the pearls in a necklace for her as a huge thank you for our awesome trip. I chose a simple ring setting. She left the store while I was choosing a setting and she cried when I showed her the finished product and that I was giving one to her.

Hope this helps someone!

That is really pretty and a sweet story. Do you mind me asking how expensive it is and were you able to get a chain there?
Stephanie VanMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #814
ilovecupcakes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie VanMeter View Post
That is really pretty and a sweet story. Do you mind me asking how expensive it is and were you able to get a chain there?
Sure! If I am not mistaken everything together was around 56, not including the price for picking at oyster. That was about 16. I believe my ring was around 33 and my mom's necklace must have been somewhere around 23-25. You can buy a chain there, but I opted not to as I knew my mom had some she could use with the necklace.

Both of the settings I chose were sterling silver. They have more expensive settings made of gold, too. The price range was pretty good, accommodating almost every one's tastes and budget.

What am I celebrating? College is OVER! Click the link for my May 2009 PTR with Mom & Mickey

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2126554

A Wet but Wonderful Trip Report! (in progress)
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post31961220
ilovecupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #815
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommykds View Post
Is there anything for a boy who wants to pick a pearl? He is into gems & crystals now & asked about this..Are there only things for girls? (Maybe more like a case rather than a peice of jewelry for him?)
I did this with my mom in 1983 in epcot, but we didn't have time to do it while we were in epcot so we did the pick a pearl at the location across the walkway from Hurricane Hannah's (next to SAB at the BC). DS did the picking for me. He had a ball tapping the oysters and looking at the pearls. We got a silver/blue black pearl and a gold one. The silver one was large - over 7.5mm. The other was 6.5mm. I looked at a lot of settings when we were there but they didn't have a lot that would accomodate the two pearls that weren't gold with diamonds and really expensive. They did have a couple fun settings that would be cool for a boy (a lizard and another reptile) in sterling silver. I think one was a pendant and the other was either a pin or a ring.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #816
MinnieNurse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrskeeprs View Post
I have a sterling silver Cinderella cage pendent that I sell at my kiosk. I can send a picture of it if anyone is interested.
I would love to see this also.
MinnieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #817
DisneyNic
DIS Veteran

I am planning on doing this with my DD6 on our first trip to WDW in Sept. I was telling my mom (who is going with us) that I wanted to do it as a mother/daughter thing with DD, and she said "Well, can grandma have one, too?" So it will be the three of us getting one. And I'm sure that once we are there, we will probably end up getting one for my grandma too, so all four generations will get one. I have loved the pics so far. There was a really cute mother/daughter butterfly set posted early in the thread. Has anyone seen these lately?? Thanks everyone, this is a great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrskeeprs View Post
I have a sterling silver Cinderella cage pendent that I sell at my kiosk. I can send a picture of it if anyone is interested.
I would love to see a pic of your Cinderella cage. I would also like to know more about your kiosk. I'm not sure how much info you can actually put on the board, but if you wanted to PM me, I would love to know your location, name of your kiosk, price of your Cinderella cage. Thanks!!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #818
cchev
Kungaloosh

Sorry I might have a problem going through the whole thread so I'll just ask...what is the current price of the pearls and a nice setting for a necklace in Japan at EPCOT?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #819
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

it is around $15 each plus tax
Kurby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #820
findrskeeprs
Running with the big Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNic View Post
I am planning on doing this with my DD6 on our first trip to WDW in Sept. I was telling my mom (who is going with us) that I wanted to do it as a mother/daughter thing with DD, and she said "Well, can grandma have one, too?" So it will be the three of us getting one. And I'm sure that once we are there, we will probably end up getting one for my grandma too, so all four generations will get one. I have loved the pics so far. There was a really cute mother/daughter butterfly set posted early in the thread. Has anyone seen these lately?? Thanks everyone, this is a great thread.

I would love to see a pic of your Cinderella cage. I would also like to know more about your kiosk. I'm not sure how much info you can actually put on the board, but if you wanted to PM me, I would love to know your location, name of your kiosk, price of your Cinderella cage. Thanks!!
Sure thing.....I will pm you more specific info but we are the
Great Salt Lake Pearl Company. We are working on our website, as we are brand new and are looking at new ways to this idea for an area that is not Disney. My first ever pick a pearl experiance was in down town Disney Orlando and have loved it ever since. That is why I am on this board in the first place. We actually do pearl parties at home as well if anyone has the hankering for cracking a pearl at home with friends and family.
How do I up load pictures to this website? I posted on page 53 questions if you wouldn't mind reading through it and answering a few.
findrskeeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #821
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock20l View Post
Kurby: at which Pick-a-Pearl location did you find the Cinderella carriage? -- I'm going in December, and I'm such a girly-girl that it sounds like the perfect setting for me!!

we did the pick in Japan - it was excellent - got the cage off ebay.

keep looking - if you don't find them now they'll be back - they always show up.
Kurby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #822
TINK0998
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odrog View Post
Much appreciated, thanks!

From everything I have seen I belive they are (as expected) not ever going to be highly valuable pearls that you get. I haven't read enough to learn exactly how the color treating process works but certainly the pearls from these oysters have been color treated. Which begs the question of whether they are removed, valued and treated for color and then placed inside another(?) oyster. Now that I know what it is that is inside I suppose I really don't need to know the answer, but for those of you doing research on which oysters to pick to yeild the best pearl you may want to take note. The appearance of an oyster might not have anything to do with the pearl inside...
When I was there in 2007, I watched this booth for a while in Japan. It looked like great fun. But I agree that the shells must be opened and the pearls be put in, how else could they have a pearl in each shell. Also, these look like clam shells to me and not true oysters. I do think the pearls are genuine, but I think there must be some manipulation prior to putting them in the tank.

Previous trips
WDW - June 2009 Best Trip so far!
WDW - June 2007
WDW - June 2006
UNIVERSAL - June 2004 (No WDW? What was I thinking??)
BUSH GARDENS - June 2000
WDW / UNIVERSAL - July 1999
Yearly trip to Magic Kingdom 1973-1982
TINK0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #823
jrc-elpaso
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK0998 View Post
When I was there in 2007, I watched this booth for a while in Japan. It looked like great fun. But I agree that the shells must be opened and the pearls be put in, how else could they have a pearl in each shell. Also, these look like clam shells to me and not true oysters. I do think the pearls are genuine, but I think there must be some manipulation prior to putting them in the tank.

Here is a definition of cultured pearls vs natural pearls (from Wikipedia).

"A pearl is formed when some sort of small object, typically a parasite or piece of organic matter, becomes embedded in the tissue of an oyster or mollusk. In response, the mantle tissue of the mollusk secretes nacre. Chemically speaking, this is calcium carbonate and a fibrous protein called conchiolin. As the nacre builds up in layers, it surrounds the irritant and eventually forms a pearl. It is a myth that a grain of sand can cause a pearl to form, as nacre will not adhere to inorganic substances.

Natural pearls are those pearls that are formed in nature, more or less by chance. Cultured pearls, by contrast, are those in which humans take a helping hand. By actually inserting a foreign object into the tissue of an oyster or mollusk, pearl farmers can induce the creation of a pearl. The same natural process of pearl creation takes place."

I'm not sure what determines the colors - but it could be anything from minerals in the water to water temperature. If you've ever seen mother of pearls which is the lining of the shell it can be a rainbow of colors.

I'm looking forward to getting my pearl in September for our anniversary.
jrc-elpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #824
famsen
DIS Veteran

I had read that each of the oysters are x-rayed or scanned in some way to make sure each oyster has a pearl. I would guess that they only buy oysters that only have pearls of certain size to be in those oysters. I would stink if someone paid full price for an oyster and got a less than the average size of 6mm they claim.
I can tell you that I have watched a lot of those pearl opening ceremonies and I have never seen a pearl less than 6.50mm unless it was "twins".

'93:Disney Inn '94:Dixie Landings '95Wilderness Lodge '97:Contemporary '98: CBR '01:Contemporary:'06:POFQ
'07:SSR '08: May:Pop Century; AKV First Trip as DVC Members Sept:AKV
5/09:AKV Jambo & AKV Kidani 9/09:AKV Kidani 12/09:Girls Only SSR 4/10:WL(Shuttle Discovery Launch) 5/10:BWV 9/10:AKL 9/11: BWV/AKL 9/12: AKL
famsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #825
Lilmattie13
Mouseketeer

Ok so I read through all 55 pages and in my disney fanatic way, I found and ordered the cinderella cage and the crown cage. I am hoping they will be as pretty as other posters have said.

Now the only one that eludes me is the mickey mouse one. I read way back that these can only be purchased on the disney cruise line in the can already. I searched and searched and could not find a picture of one anywhere. Now I know people have them out there but are there any pictures at all

I am now obsessed with seeing a picture of this and trying to get one lol I am so obsessed with mickey heads and hidden mickeys I even have a giant hidden mickey in my garden made up entirely of impatients. Got this idea when I saw the mickey head shape at Epcot during the flower festival.

So now that I have shared my nuttiness with everyone, isnt there anyone out there that has a pic????
:
1997 Off Property, 1st visit *1999 All Star Sports*2001 off Property*2002 Off Property*2005 CBR*2006 DISNEYLAND Disney hotel*2007 POR *2008 Doubletree DTD*2008 SEPT GF *2009 Mar POR.* 2009 Sept POLY *2010 June SWAN*2010 Sept Yacht club*AKL Kidani Nov 2010*PoP June 2011*GF Sept 2011*HGVC Sea World Nov 2011
Lilmattie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: