Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #211
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

jayhjay, thanks so much for telling me Vicki's name. She's the same one who helped us, and I agree-she's so nice! I think I already posted about my ring, but it's not nearly as lovely as yours. I love that setting!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #212
fakereadhed
The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhjay View Post
P.S FWIW, the woman at the Pearl Factory cautioned against silver settings b/c the polish you use if it tarnishes will damage the pearl. So if you have a silver setting, be extra careful when you clean it.
This is very true.

I love your ring. It is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos.

fakereadhed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #213
mom2mykids
Wishin' I was at Disney!

I know I said I'd post pics but DS came home from school sick today so tomorrow! I wish I had thought to take pics of our experience!

mom2mykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #214
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Evie View Post
Each pearl is $14.80 to select the oyster. My pendant is small, yellow gold and has a small birthstone at the top. It was about $25. My daughter got a larger silver butterfly pendant for $22. The cages were somewhere around $25, but I don't remember for sure.

DD (6) picked the oysters for both of us. Atsuko opened the oyster and then got it to "reveal it's hidden treasure". She explained the average size of the pearl & talked about the formation. She measured it, placed it in a bowl of salt so it could be easily seen. Both mine & DD's were 6 3/4mm. DDs was a creamy white color and mine was a beautiful champagne color. BFFs was over 7mm, so Atsuko beat the drum & chanted a song in Japanese.

When we arrived, there was no one at the counter. When we were finished, there were at least 20 people crowded around to watch. Atsuko cleaned the pearl and passed it to another CM to help us select out settings. DD picked the larger butterfly setting. They had one that was slightly smaller, slightly cheaper ($17) and I thought much prettier. DD disagreed and we got the larger one.

My DD loved the whole experience & ritual of it. We now have souveniers that we can keep for many, many years. It doesn't involve stuffing, fur or a t-shirt that she'll outgrow.

Great Pictures - dd picked her pearl, then wanted to go to DTD to look at the settings there - they told her they would use a pearl to put in one of their settings - she almost picked the Dolphin, but wanted to go back to Japan...

She decided on the gold setting that's in one of your pictures - she picked the pink (saphire?) for October...
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #215
jayhjay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
Any tips on getting the black pearl? The color of the shell or anything. I would die of happiness to get a black pearl. (maybe my love of Captain Jack is turing to an obsession! )

Seriously, my favorite color is black and I think the black pearls are soooooo beautiful!
If you are sold on the idea of a black pearl, why not go to the pearl factory. They have tons of them preset. Of course you don't get the experience of choosing your own, but given how rare they are, I'd think the chances are slim of getting on on your own.

April/May 2009 dining report: Food Glorious Food (please can I have some more)

October 2007 dining report: Food, food, and more food! (with lots of pics!)
jayhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #216
lyzziesmom
Ask me about my short attention sp.... ooooh, shiny!!
But never fear! My hiney is comfortably and adequately covered
I've been known to attack my mom's cat with a handful of q-tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
She decided on the gold setting that's in one of your pictures - she picked the pink (saphire?) for October...
(Pssst... Sapphire is blue, for September. The pink October stone is rose quartz - October's "genuine" birthstone is Opal but good opals are pricey so the rose quartz is often used instead.) It's a very pretty color, I bet with the pearl it's beautiful and something that will look good on her at any age.

Mmmm, Beverly!! Mmmm, Pirates!!

<-- This only looks like a princess hat. It is really my dunce cap in disguise.
lyzziesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #217
mom2mykids
Wishin' I was at Disney!

Here are my pics

Finally I have some time to post these! All of these are from DTD

DS's Gecko, is was about $75 total, pearl, gecko and necklace. He used his own Disney Dollars

DD's Dolphin was about $45 for pearl and setting.

My earrings, they were close to $60 pearls and setting

Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #218
loveladyntramp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mykids View Post
Finally I have some time to post these! All of these are from DTD

DS's Gecko, is was about $75 total, pearl, gecko and necklace. He used his own Disney Dollars

DD's Dolphin was about $45 for pearl and setting.

My earrings, they were close to $60 pearls and setting
These are beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I am surprising my DD12 when we go in April. I was looking for something just for her, this is perfect. Pearl is her birthstone.
Disneyland - Dec '08
loveladyntramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #219
maskw03
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing all the info and pictures. We'll be there in 3days and I can't wait to do this. Can someone please share a picture of their birthstone/pearl setting? I'm hoping to find something like that with a garnet since I don't have anything jewelry with my birthstone and this would be part of my birthday gift for this coming yr.

Love all the pictures and info, keep them coming!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #220
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

We have a pearl from a past trip that hasn't been set (or drilled or anything).

Do you think we could get it set at Disney? Would we have a better chance of getting the previous one set if we also picked a new oyster at the same time and had that set as well?

Is DTD the only place that has the AP discount, or does Japan as well?

Thanks for answering all my questions!
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
TiggerAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #221
mom2mykids
Wishin' I was at Disney!

I forgot to mention that at the DTD place (which is a kiosk type of both and not an actual store with doors, LOL, it's near the water close by the big pin trading place/store)

OK so what I was going to say it that the jewlery came with warranties. The address was right on the receipts.
I'll attempt to post a pic of the bag:

Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #222
rgrgirl
DIS Veteran

I have seen the Pick A Pearl many times but never did it. After seeing and reading all this, I am going to have to do on my next trip. Luckily after reading this I know to save some disney dollars for it.
rgrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #223
MaryKatesMom
DIS Veteran

I'm not a jewelry person, like my mother, but I'd love to pick one out for each of my DD's and myself. I'd like to bring a chain down in advance but I have no experience in buying them. What should I look for?
MaryKatesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #224
Candid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKatesMom View Post
I'm not a jewelry person, like my mother, but I'd love to pick one out for each of my DD's and myself. I'd like to bring a chain down in advance but I have no experience in buying them. What should I look for?

I don't know if it was just luck but DH recommends looking for an oyster that is "fat". His theory is that the fatter the oyster, the bigger the pearl. I tried his theory and got a 7 3/4 mm one which I had set in a cage. I had picked 2 others before at the DTD kiosk and got two 6 1/4 ones that I had made into earrings. Of the two sites I greatly recommend the one at Japan in Epcot! The girls there were soooo nice and friendly and went out of their way to make a really big fuss for the little ones that picked a pearl and made jokes with one guy that didn't have a very big one, lol!

Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #225
disneyokw
Home Sweet Home
Disney fans are the best people on earth

I buy my pearls from Chris (Christine) at the Pearl Factory at Downtown Disney (next to the Marina - kind of by the Rainforest Cafe). For the past seven years on trips I go to say hi to Chris. Several times I have purchased. I had two rings set that were drilled and glued. I also bought several pearl necklaces. She is very nice and my mother and I always spend time talking to her. [Right now Chris is working on Sun, Mon and Tues].

One time I did buy pearls at the Pearl Factory at Typhoon Lagoon and another time I bought a lovely earring and necklace set for my mother at Sea World.

OkW 1997
Vero 2-14-04

Animal Kingdom Lodge September 2007[/B][/SIZE]
disneyokw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: