Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #1996
cajmom
Addicted to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0222 View Post
Can I ask how much it was??

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
They are $15. I heard the one at the M shop in Japan is the best because they do a little ceremony when they open it. You could search through youtube to find some videos.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #1997
gypsydoodlebug
Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I have to admit, Gobo Fraggle was kinda hot...
all of a sudden I sound like a Beverly Hillbilly??!?!
I can't tell the chicks from the dudes on here

My daughter and I went back to Japan to have our pearls set today. I traded my 7 mm white pearl for her 7 3/4 mm blue pearl b/c she wanted a dolphin charm and there is a 7 mm size limit on it. It's actually a phone charm, but it has a lobster claw on it and she put it on a $7 silver chain we bought from www.n o m o r e r a c k.com

**Newly minted VGF DVC members**
gypsydoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #1998
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

I did this in December on our honeymoon trip. I really wanted the carriage cage. The first oyster I pick I went for an ugly hairy one and got a huge 8 3/4 mm pinkish pearl - the biggest for the day - but it wouldn't fit in the carriage cage so I got it mounted in something that would hold that large pearl. So.... I tried again, this time I went for a prettier oyster since I needed at 7 1/4 mm pearl or smaller for the carriage cage. Well I ended up with a real gold pearl that measured 7 1/4 mm just barely small enough for the carriage charm. I lucked out and got 2 pearls and 2 settings.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco PJ & Newly Started Trip Report!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #1999
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

Is the Cinderella carriage in Japan (the sterling silver one) a cage or does the pearl have to be set in it?
July 2009 Trip Report~
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2251346
WLfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #2000
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLfamily
Is the Cinderella carriage in Japan (the sterling silver one) a cage or does the pearl have to be set in it?
It's a cage. No setting required.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #2001
kkendle
Mouseketeer

I am just getting interested in possibly picking a pearl. Does the pearl have to be treated w anything before you put it into any kind of cage or setting? I thought I read that someones pearl turned green? Thanks for any help!
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #2002
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkendle
I am just getting interested in possibly picking a pearl. Does the pearl have to be treated w anything before you put it into any kind of cage or setting? I thought I read that someones pearl turned green? Thanks for any help!
They just rub the pearl in salt once and only then before setting it. They say not to get perfume or lotion on the pearl when you are wearing it. Don't know why someone's pearl would turn green?

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco PJ & Newly Started Trip Report!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #2003
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkendle
The pearl didn't turn green, the person's skin did because the cages on eBay are not real silver, so your skin will turn green from wearing them.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #2004
kkendle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
The pearl didn't turn green, the person's skin did because the cages on eBay are not real silver, so your skin will turn green from wearing them.
Thanks for the help! I was reading a bunch of posts late last night about this using my phone and I must have misread it. I thought the person said the pearls turned green!
kkendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #2005
WLfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
It's a cage. No setting required.
Great! Thank you! I'm guessing that since its a cage anyone can buy it without picking a pearl first? The reason I'm asking is my dd and I picked a pearl a few years ago and didn't have them set. We had purchased the cheap cages from eBay and then they turned. We're going back in June and want to pick a pearl again and have our new pearls sets. We would love to buy a cage for our older pearls. I would have the older ones set also, but wasn't sure they would do that.
July 2009 Trip Report~
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2251346
WLfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #2006
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLfamily
Great! Thank you! I'm guessing that since its a cage anyone can buy it without picking a pearl first? The reason I'm asking is my dd and I picked a pearl a few years ago and didn't have them set. We had purchased the cheap cages from eBay and then they turned. We're going back in June and want to pick a pearl again and have our new pearls sets. We would love to buy a cage for our older pearls. I would have the older ones set also, but wasn't sure they would do that.
Yes, you can purchase cages and put your old pearls in them. From what I understand, they will only set pearls purchased from them, so maybe they will set the old ones for you if you happen to have your receipt! I've seen so many people mention the cheap cages on eBay, but they are not real silver and will likely turn like yours did. You will love the "real" cage. It's beautiful!
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #2007
CUnit
Earning My Ears

ebay

27 days till I arrive in Disney and I ordered my pearl cage on ebay. Mine is sterling silver, just read the descriptions to be sure yours is sterling, if that's what you want. I've been to WDW 4 times and just now heard of this pick a pearl. I am so excited! I got a flower cage for me and my 3 year old daughter, so we'll have matching necklaces. Thanks Diss boards!
CUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #2008
DMDaisy31
Earning My Ears

Is there somewhere online to look at the settings you can pick in Japan at Epcot for the pick a pearl??? Would love to check out settings before going there. Thanks!
DMDaisy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #2009
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDaisy31 View Post
Is there somewhere online to look at the settings you can pick in Japan at Epcot for the pick a pearl??? Would love to check out settings before going there. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure if you read all of the posts on this thread, you will see pictures and prices of most of the settings.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #2010
jojosam
Mouseketeer

I did this many years ago when I visited Hawaii, but I'm excited to take my daughter and choose new pearls during our visit in September. Previously I got a pretty white one which I set on a whale tail pendant, and a silvery blue one which I had set on a fairly simple ring. My goal is blue or black this time (although I will be happy with any pearl I get), and DS has offered to pick out my oyster, because he tells me he "knows ugly"!
jojosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: