Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #1936
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Japan in Epcot is much cheaper but their stuff is good quality..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #1937
anetty
Earning My Ears

My mom and I did this when we went back in 2001. I loved the experience of it! I was 13 at the time and felt so special getting my own pearl piece of jewelry.

anetty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #1938
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I did the pick a pearl again last week and picked the ugliest, hairy oyster I could find. Imagine my surprise when the castmember opened the pearl and it had twins! They are a pretty yellowish/cream color. I'll take pictures soon and post them here.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 06-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #1939
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

I really need to remember to take pictures of my pearls I got in February and post them here! I got 2 silvers, a gold, a pink and a white. And 2 were 8mm

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #1940
Rhiannona
Landlocked Mermaid

Josh over at easyWDW did a post with the pearl settings a few days ago, you can click on the picture and get a larger view.

Here is a link to the post
http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...earl-settings/
Rhiannona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #1941
bushdianee
I had a water fun day planned
I tend to buy way too many t-shirts when I visit WDW

Wow, looking at the pictures in the link above makes me feel ripped off. I purchased 2 pearls at DTD earlier this month. The sales woman only showed me expensive settings. She started out with 2 dolphins that was about $250, then some that were in the$100-200 range and finally one that was $60. I bought that one not realizing that there were cheaper ones available. Since one was for a 6yo girl I wasn't looking to spend a lot. She must work on a commission.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #1942
Rhiannona
Landlocked Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushdianee View Post
Wow, looking at the pictures in the link above makes me feel ripped off. I purchased 2 pearls at DTD earlier this month. The sales woman only showed me expensive settings. She started out with 2 dolphins that was about $250, then some that were in the$100-200 range and finally one that was $60. I bought that one not realizing that there were cheaper ones available. Since one was for a 6yo girl I wasn't looking to spend a lot. She must work on a commission.
DTD is run by the pearl factory. They do not have many settings that are in the lower spectrum.

The pearl station at epcot in japan is not run by the same people as the DTD one. So they offer a different variety of settings.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #1943
gilliansmommy
Mouseketeer

After reading this thread, I had my DD7 and DD8 pick a pearl in Japon on our trip to Epcot. My DD7 picked the most hairy and ugly oyster. She got twins that were blue-silver. She made them into earrings. It was such a special activitiy for them.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #1944
hbmonkeygirl
Earning My Ears

So excited for PaP!

Hello everyone! I have been following this thread for a few days now and I am super excited to pick my pearl in October! I do have a quick question about the Cinderella cage.

I really want a cage that won't tarnish, so I've been searching for a sterling silver cage. I found a sterling silver Cinderella carriage on this site:

Go to cnepearls.com and search "carriage cage" and it should be at the top

I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought anything off of this site before. Any help would be appreciated!

hbmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #1945
rdominy
Mouseketeer

I've never purchased anything from that site, but I did purchase some from ebay in 2010...they did tarnish.

I was really excited to see a post on easywdw (I think) that showed a recent picture of the cages at Epcot. There was a Cinderella cage there just like the one that is sold cheep. They are selling it for around $40 so I would hope it would be sterling silver and not just plated junk.

If you order from that site, please let me know how it turns out.
rdominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #1946
nightshaderose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmonkeygirl View Post
I really want a cage that won't tarnish, so I've been searching for a sterling silver cage. ...
Just a heads up: any plain sterling silver will tarnish. It's just in the nature of sterling. If you want a good, non-tarnishing white metal, you need to get either rhodium-plated sterling (rhodium is in the platinum family and stays VERY shiny. It's becoming more common to plate it over a sterling base for the non-tarnish finish), or bump up to white gold.

Liz

VACATION RULE #3
Touring plans are like boyfriends. They’re useful and comforting to have around, and they can often make the difference between the day being a disaster or a success, but you have to be willing to ditch them if they’re not making you happy.

'86: one day at Epcot with family; fall '04:5-day Pop All Hallows/F&WF; Jan/Feb '08: 7-day unintended "farewell to Pop Century" trip. (OMG we bought DVC!!); May '08: 4-day Grand Californian; Nov '08: 4-day F&WF trip to BCV (and a Dream Squad member changed my life); Jan/Feb '10: 5 days @ BWV + 3 days @ AKV club; Dec '10: solstice trip, 3 days AKV Jambo + 3 days BWV; Jan '12: Wow, I'm the first to graduate from my Jewelry Design Program! 4 days BLT, 4 days AKV-CL; Jan '13: 3 days BLT, 4 days AKV-Jambo; Jan '15: 7 days AKV-Jambo
nightshaderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #1947
Disney before Sally
Mouseketeer

They are selling stainless steel jewelry on HSN, Stately Steel. It also does not need to be polished. However, they are not making pearl cages of any type. The carriages, key, plain cage, and cage with crown ( my favorite ) that I bought from EBAY two years ago are still shiny. The sterling chains I got, however, have tarnished.

Disney before Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #1948
hbmonkeygirl
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for your suggestions!
After looking online some more, I think I'm going to get the "Pick A Pearl Cage Carriage Silver Charm Necklace Disney Princess Cinderella" from Ebay and put clear nail polish on it. Fingers crossed that the pearl I pick will fit right in it! I would hate to have to trade mine out for a different one!

hbmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #1949
Rhiannona
Landlocked Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmonkeygirl View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions!
After looking online some more, I think I'm going to get the "Pick A Pearl Cage Carriage Silver Charm Necklace Disney Princess Cinderella" from Ebay and put clear nail polish on it. Fingers crossed that the pearl I pick will fit right in it! I would hate to have to trade mine out for a different one!

While you may feel the need to trade a pearl in for another one, with the cinderella cage as long as the chain is able to run through the two loops it'll stay closed and the pearl will be safe.

I would keep an open mind to if you get there, take a look at the settings you may surprise yourself and buy something there
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #1950
DreamingofCastles
Earning My Ears

Pick A Pearl is on my to-do list for my September trip! Thanks for all the suggestions about how to pick a "good" one! I've looked at the carriage cages on Ebay, but think I will also look at the settings in Epcot.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: