Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #1831
Cdnmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Someone asked this a couple pages back and it was stated that they will not. Their drills are set to the specific depth for their settings and cannot/will not be changed.
I saw that post but thought it read that they would not drill a hole all the way through the pearl for that person, maybe I misunderstood. Thanks!

Planning our family trip for December 2011!!

Cdnmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #1832
anorman
DIS Veteran

We'll be doing this one for our 2 DDs on our upcoming trip next week. I haven't told them. I really hope they like the experience.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #1833
TayjaDanger
Earning My Ears

After reading all of these posts I am excited to do it, too. I ordered a carriage charm from ebay as well, but I might just choose a setting if the pearl I pick happens to be too large.

It just seems like such a fun experience and a neat souvenir that doesn't take up too much space. My mum and sister aren't interested in it at all, but they will have to just humor me when we are at the World Showcase.

Thanks to the person who posted the settings available and prices, that is so helpful!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #1834
queenof3
Eeyore's my favorite!

rings

Those of you that have put them in rings, has anyone ever lost one? I am just wondering because I really want to get a ring but I am nervous because I heard that pearls are soft. Thanks! I am very excited to do it. It will be me, my sister and my 3 daughters. I just dont know what kind of settings or jewelry we will put them in yet!
queenof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #1835
lync
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
Are there any retailers that have plain sterling silver coach cages?
I am wondering the same thing! I would like to try and find sterling silver, too.
lync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #1836
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa'smom View Post
Is there still a Pick a Pearl location in DTD? If sooooo where? Thanks in advance.
Yes there is one there and I would recommend NOT going there for this experience. Do it at Epcot. I won't drag out all the details but suffice to say several members here had trouble with the DTD location.....

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #1837
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
Hi all! Wow, what a LONG thread for pick-a-pearl! Glad I found it, though. I only just found out about this the other day, so I was JUST curious...does anyone know what becomes of the oyster meat once it is shucked? Thanks in advance!
The "meat" is thrown out along with the shell. There is a chemical added to the water the oysters are in at the store that renders the "meat" (animal) inedible. I have asked to keep one side of the shell every time I go and due to health laws they are not allowed to give it to you.

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #1838
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenof3 View Post
Those of you that have put them in rings, has anyone ever lost one? I am just wondering because I really want to get a ring but I am nervous because I heard that pearls are soft. Thanks! I am very excited to do it. It will be me, my sister and my 3 daughters. I just dont know what kind of settings or jewelry we will put them in yet!
I have worn my Japan Pick-A-Pearl ring every day (only take it off when showering) for the last five or so years and it is as good as the day I got it. Do note that you cannot wear the jewelry for 24 (or is it 48? They will tell you) hours after getting it because the glue needs to cure. So, keep it in the box until after it cures. I would wait until you get home to wear it, since I wouldn't risk a newly-cured pearl on the rides in case it takes longer than they say for the glue to cure.

I will say that at the same time I got this ring, I got another pearl on a flower-shaped pin setting and that pearl did fall off the same year (I did find it, thankfully). However, do note that I was using the pin to hold on a too-small bandanna around my service dog's neck, so that's not exactly normal wear'n'tear. The pearl fell off after we got home from being out one day and she shook her body when I took her harness off. My ring has never had an issue, though.
Ms_Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #1839
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynewman View Post
Has anyone ever NOT gotten a pearl when they do this? I haven't read ALL of these posts but it seems like at least most of you have. I plan to do this with DD next week, already bought our pumpkin coach cages. It would be nice if I knew I only had to pay for 1 try each
I believe they guarantee you will get a pearl. If the shell is empty, they will open another one for you.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #1840
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnmommy View Post
Oh, that's too bad. I wonder if they will at least drill the hole so you could put the pearl on yourself?
You can just buy just the pearl from them and they will send it home with you in a bag. Then you can take it to your local jeweler to get it set. The jeweler will have the proper kind of glue needed for the pearl that won't destroy the pearl.

The first time I did the Pick-A-Pearl (back in the '80s), I chose not to get a setting. About six years later, I finally got it set in a necklace at a local jeweler. I love it and am glad that I did it that way! I put it on a formal-looking setting (yellow gold curvy "wings" with a diamond chip above the pearl), so I don't wear it much, but it is still nice. (Not saying gold and diamonds are always formal, of course, just that the look of this particular setting is formal.)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #1841
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa'smom View Post
Is there still a Pick a Pearl location in DTD? If sooooo where? Thanks in advance.

I don't recommend that place. Go to the Epcot Japan one. I got a pearl set into a dolphins-in-a-circle necklace two years ago and the pearl has long since lost its sheen. The ring I got at the Japan one five or six years ago is still perfect and that one comes in contact with water and soap and stuff all the time (I only take it off when showering, so wash my hands with it on all the time). The DTD one just isn't worth it, IMO. (I also have a pearl from the Japan one that I got in the '80s and had set into a necklace about six years after that, but I hardly ever wear it because it is a formal setting, so I can't really compare that necklace to the DTD one as far as wear goes, but the pearl is still as good as new on that one!)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #1842
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminla View Post
In Epcot Japan - are the rings adjustable???? ( i mean ring settings) - OR you have to know the size of the ring for the person you are buying for???

I would love to buy a ring for my mom but don't knwo her size - and I want to keep it a surprise - if I ask her for the size - she will know about it so dont' want to - please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, the rings are real rings, not adjustable things. You will have to know the size or close enough to the size that you will be able to bring the ring to the jeweler at home to get it resized. You don't have to ask her for her ring size if you can do some detective work, such as take one of her current rings that fits the finger you think she'll want to put the new ring on (each finger is a different size!) and impress it into a bar of soap so you can compare the soap to a ring sizer at a jewelry store (or Disney). (Make sure you clean her ring of soap residue after so she isn't wise to what you did!) If your father knows her ring size, ask him for it. If you can think of a round-about way to ask your mom her ring size, like be looking through a jewelry catalog/site and trying to figure out your ring size and ask her what hers is, or say you have a friend with similar-sized fingers and want to surprise them with a ring, that could work, too. Or, you could just have somebody else ask her for the size and she'd just think they were going to get her a ring, not you, so it would still be a surprise.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #1843
poisonapple_PRINCESS
DIS Veteran

stumbled upon this thread and have fallen in love with this whole idea! I cant wait to go to Disney and get my very own!

poisonapple_PRINCESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #1844
mbvisitor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync View Post
I am wondering the same thing! I would like to try and find sterling silver, too.
A sterling silver carriage would be great, has anyone had any luck finding one?
I also can't believe no one does a mickey head. It would be a sure seller!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #1845
crocko's wife
Disney stickers cost us a DVC fortune, but no one is mad

Always wanted a pearl ring...

Hmmm, I have always just skipped on by these booths, but I would really like a pearl ring. I think I will just shop around the different locations and pick my favorite setting before I go through the process. We are staying at the Beach Club, and I know of the DTD and Japan locations--I have read on some older posts about a couple of others, but want to make sure those are still there before trekking all over the World. Anyone been to another recently?
crocko's wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: