Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #1516
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

DD11 did this at Epcot for the first time ever last week...she really enjoyed it, but said the CM was a little too loud! The whole ceremony of it was cool, and DD impressed the lovely CM with her knowledge of Japanese numbers (she takes karate) - the CM pretended to wipe away a tear of joy (she was cute).

DD picked a hairy oyster and it revealed a 7 mm pinkish-gold pearl (just looks regular to me, though!) - she then chose a very simple pendant setting (I thought she'd like the setting with her initial, but she preferred a simpler setting) and was happy with the whole process and outcome. It was a very enjoyable experience.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
phyllis1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #1517
two*little*birds
LOL I am the ultimate ride wimp!

We did this last Monday (11/15), DS and DD picked an oyster for Grandma, and I picked one for myself.

The one DS and DD picked revealed a 8mm silvery-blue pearl. The CM's made a BIG deal over this.

I got a plain 7.5mm cream pearl, which I choose not to set. I think I was a little jealous of Grandma's pearl.
2010 ~ WINDSOR PALMS (November 4th - 18th)
2011 ~ WYNDHAM BONNET CREEK (October 9th - 23rd)
2012 ~ INDIAN CREEK (October 7th - 21st)
2015 ~ VOW RENEWAL (TBD)
two*little*birds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #1518
jgates
Must vow NEVER to toggle the tags again!!!!
Sometimes the TF only visits when you sleep...
Sorry, my Jag is in the shop this week!
Motel 6's #1 source for free online advert

Well for some reason I read thru every page of this thread, even though we have done this for years!!!

It did a good job of reminding me though that one of my pearl rings has a slightly loose pearl - it can 'spin' on it's post so I want to at least take it back & have it checked. Also reminded me that I don't know where the 'spear' ring is!!! Have to hunt for that - it's the simple 'swoosh' design that 'swoops' out from the pearl on each end that a few people showed back several pages.

We have actually done this 6 or 7 times - one time in 1989 out on Hwy 192 - we brought that pearl home. At least one time at Islands of Adventure (back right corner of the park area??) and I believe the rest at Japan. I have the two rings, DD has a necklace & we have 3 loose pearls (couldn't afford any settings the first several trips). I checked the ones in the baggies tonight - have a huge cream one, a mid-size cream one & a tiny, tiny black/silver one. Considering getting a carriage cage for the black one. Both mounted rings are cream or slightly golden tint.

But you have my 'fever' going again. We may not get to Disney next summer, but it is always on our to-do list when we go. I have also passed up the PF several times at Flamingo, even this last summer when they were right at the exit to my bank of elevators, LOL. A bit leary of them with the bad DTD raps received, but before I head to LV again, I will price out the setting(s) I want online at their website so I am prepared & know what to request.

And as a note, the entire Japanese department store is a wonderful 'gift' place. All thru school my DDs friends have loved the unique candies you can bring back from Japan (and a few from Great Britain too!). I have also brought back the small cat figurines for luck, health, wealth, etc., for my friends for small 'rememberances'.
jgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #1519
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

i got the Cinderella cage for my dear Friend when we went in October...she loved picking her pearl and putting it in the carriage.

I am taking DD and Ddil (her first trip) in a week...I just ordered 2 carriages for them. I think it's a lovely momento of a Disney trip.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #1520
LuvMy3Monkeys
Mouseketeer

Okay, I made it through about twenty pages and had to give up

We would love to do this with our kids in a couple weeks. I'm trying to figure out if they actually sell the carriage cages at the Japan location, or if I need to buy them from ebay like someone mentioned.

Is there any sort of master list or website that actually shows what settings/options they have available at the japan location?

1990- CBR & Disney Cruise
2003- Offsite - Married on the Boardwalk May 5, 2003
2009- Feb 10-20 ASMo
Sept 16-30 SSR
Dec 2-16 trip postponed due to our extra souvenir we brought home from the Sept trip

2010: Dec. 1-15 CBR!
LuvMy3Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #1521
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgates View Post
Well for some reason I read thru every page of this thread, even though we have done this for years!!!

It did a good job of reminding me though that one of my pearl rings has a slightly loose pearl - it can 'spin' on it's post so I want to at least take it back & have it checked. Also reminded me that I don't know where the 'spear' ring is!!! Have to hunt for that - it's the simple 'swoosh' design that 'swoops' out from the pearl on each end that a few people showed back several pages.

We have actually done this 6 or 7 times - one time in 1989 out on Hwy 192 - we brought that pearl home. At least one time at Islands of Adventure (back right corner of the park area??) and I believe the rest at Japan. I have the two rings, DD has a necklace & we have 3 loose pearls (couldn't afford any settings the first several trips). I checked the ones in the baggies tonight - have a huge cream one, a mid-size cream one & a tiny, tiny black/silver one. Considering getting a carriage cage for the black one. Both mounted rings are cream or slightly golden tint.

But you have my 'fever' going again. We may not get to Disney next summer, but it is always on our to-do list when we go. I have also passed up the PF several times at Flamingo, even this last summer when they were right at the exit to my bank of elevators, LOL. A bit leary of them with the bad DTD raps received, but before I head to LV again, I will price out the setting(s) I want online at their website so I am prepared & know what to request.

And as a note, the entire Japanese department store is a wonderful 'gift' place. All thru school my DDs friends have loved the unique candies you can bring back from Japan (and a few from Great Britain too!). I have also brought back the small cat figurines for luck, health, wealth, etc., for my friends for small 'rememberances'.
PF has very few settings that are not 14K gold so the pieces are very expensive for a $17-$20 pearl, know what I mean? I asked the ladies in Mikimotos what the difference was in the pearls we get out of our oysters in the main shop and the pearls they sell and they said the pearls that Mikimotos sells are of the highest quality. I asked if it was possible that you could pick an oyster from the tank that had an oyster of that type of value to it and they were very non-commital. I have asked this question during several trips to try to get a firm response and no such luck. So....my thought is why spend the type of money they want at PF and put up with their nasty attitudes when I am thrilled with my beautiful sterling pieces from Epcot? Make sense?

I don't know if you can drill the pearls when they have been out of the shell for a while so double check with the ladies before you ask them to drill them. Also, they will ask you where you got them and if they are not in one of their bags from Japan/Epcot, they will ask you about them. They will not set the PF pearls and yes I am aware they can't "tell" but I have this thing about being honest! lol

Have a great trip when you do go, enjoy the process of doing this, and enjoy the piece when you get it. The memories I have every time I wear my pieces....such special special times.

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #1522
momtotaryn
Mouseketeer

Oh, I'm so happy to have read this thread. Well, not all of it, but the first few pages and the last few pages. I hope to get through more of it when I find the time ~ LOL!

We would love to pick our own pearls when we go to WDW next year! I think I'm more excited than my DD! I know we'll add this to our "things to do" list for sure!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #1523
50sgirl12
Earning My Ears

I've done the pick a pearl in Japan twice now. My first is in the cage setting necklace, and the second in a ring with 2 small diamonds. I love them both and it's always my favorite thing to do at WS. My boyfriend nieces get one every year and save them till they're older and can pick their own setting. To those who have never done it before, make sure to go to the register on the right to get a number before you can pick your pearl, we made the mistake of waiting for someone to ask us the first time.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #1524
Shelli_5
Wants a Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke purse!

Yes, I actually read through all 102 pages of this thread in one sitting. I love the pick-a-pearl place in the Mitsukoshi store at Epcot!! This thread inspired me to search for inexpensive sterling silver pearl cages that I could order before our trip. I found an option that no one else has posted, so I thought I'd share. I ordered 2 of them (one for me & one for my mom) for less than $13, including shipping.

http://www.thebeadhouse.com/Shop_c358120.html

Looking forward to picking out my pearl (or pearls) in February!

Shelli

UPDATE: After placing my order, I received a message that the pearl cages were on backorder. I finally received them in late December & was upset to find them bent out of shape from shipping. They were placed in a small plastic bag inside a bubble wrap mailer without any other protection. :-( I'm sending them back for a refund. Instead of ordering ahead, I'm going to spend the extra money & purchase a setting for the pearl at WDW.
Dec 2004 - Shades of Green
Sept 2005 - Pop Century
Feb 2011 - Shades of Green
Oct 2013 - Coronado Springs
Nov 2014 - Universal Studios - planning in progress

Last edited by Shelli_5; 12-28-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Shelli_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #1525
mblaesing
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli_5 View Post
Yes, I actually read through all 102 pages of this thread in one sitting. I love the pick-a-pearl place in the Mitsukoshi store at Epcot!! This thread inspired me to search for inexpensive sterling silver pearl cages that I could order before our trip. I found an option that no one else has posted, so I thought I'd share. I ordered 2 of them (one for me & one for my mom) for less than $13, including shipping.

http://www.thebeadhouse.com/Shop_c358120.html

Looking forward to picking out my pearl (or pearls) in February!

Shelli
THANK YOU!!! My daughter and I are going to do this and I wanted a nice, but reasonably priced cage!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #1526
Shelli_5
Wants a Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke purse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaesing View Post
THANK YOU!!! My daughter and I are going to do this and I wanted a nice, but reasonably priced cage!!!
You're welcome. Glad I could help! I liked that one, in particular, because it's sterling silver & it can hold a pearl up to 8mm. I think it will be perfect!

Shelli
Dec 2004 - Shades of Green
Sept 2005 - Pop Century
Feb 2011 - Shades of Green
Oct 2013 - Coronado Springs
Nov 2014 - Universal Studios - planning in progress
Shelli_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #1527
Bethshaya
Mouseketeer

Pick a Pearl is one of the most treasured things to me at Disney.

My family started taking me to Disney shortly after the parks opened in the late 70s. By the time Epcot opened, we had been there a number of time already and my father started a tradition with me.

Every time we went, we did the Pick a Pearl and I got to select a ring, bracelet or necklace to have the pearl mounted in. I still have every one of those items since.

My father now has Alzheimers and our family has been in a state of remembering the past and this one thing is one of my most treasured memories of my father.

I remember the excitement as I pick out my oyster and the CM opens it to find the treasure inside. I remember taking a long, long time in the store going over every setting to see which was my favorite. And I remember what a fuss he would make over me the entire trip of now beautiful I looked with my new item and that how I was just like that pearl to him.

So while picking a pearl and a setting may seem like a trivial thing in Disney, trust me, it can have an impact on a person throughout their whole life.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #1528
Rhode Island Quahog
Tink, Pooh, and Stitch fan. Proud and Happy Bay Lake Tower DVC Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
Pick a Pearl is one of the most treasured things to me at Disney.

My family started taking me to Disney shortly after the parks opened in the late 70s. By the time Epcot opened, we had been there a number of time already and my father started a tradition with me.

Every time we went, we did the Pick a Pearl and I got to select a ring, bracelet or necklace to have the pearl mounted in. I still have every one of those items since.

My father now has Alzheimers and our family has been in a state of remembering the past and this one thing is one of my most treasured memories of my father.

I remember the excitement as I pick out my oyster and the CM opens it to find the treasure inside. I remember taking a long, long time in the store going over every setting to see which was my favorite. And I remember what a fuss he would make over me the entire trip of now beautiful I looked with my new item and that how I was just like that pearl to him.

So while picking a pearl and a setting may seem like a trivial thing in Disney, trust me, it can have an impact on a person throughout their whole life.
Love this very personal story, thank you for sharing. I hope you cherish this memory always. God Bless you and your family!
Rhode Island Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #1529
sailorgirl922
Earning My Ears

Wow, what a thread! I'm so glad to have found it. We'll be down there for a week around New Year's, and I'm thinking this would be a wonderful going away present (I leave for the Navy a week after we return from WDW) for DBF to get me. We've been looking for a claddagh ring with my birthstone in it locally but have been unable to find one. We even looked in the UK at Epcot when we went for F&W, but they didn't even have real sterling ones, much less the 10 or 14k yellow gold that I prefer. Does anyone have any idea if they might have that kind of ring setting? It's the hands holding a heart with a crown on top. I'm thinking that might be difficult to set a pearl into, though. Any help at all would be much appreciated!
sailorgirl922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #1530
camlace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistee View Post
can u use your disney rewards card to do this in epcot?
wondering the same...and haven't seen anyone answer yet
camlace is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: