Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
jgorman9
Crazy about Goofy!

Can a 10 year old wear contacts?

My 10 year old daughter is going for her yearly eye exam tomorrow. She wants to try contacts but I'm not sure she would be able to take them in and out. She keeps telling me that a couple of other girls her age at school has them. She is very mature for her age so I think she would take care of them good, she has never lost or broken her glasses. I just don't know if she would be able to do them by herself. How hard are contacts to take care of and get in and out of your eyes.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
trappednabox
Frogs are our friends...
Ask me what I can do in 15 seconds!
I think it's big hunking chicken

I would think as long as she takes care of them right she should be fine. I wouldn't see why not
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
coinkc
You can find some hot dates at Six Flags St. Louis!

My daughter got them for her 10th birthday last summer. She loves them!

At first, she wore them every day but now she will wear her glasses about one day a week or so. she doesn't have any trouble getting them in and out. she has the kind that she wears for 30 days (taking them out each night) and then throws them away so the one time that she did drop one it wasn't such a big deal as she had another new lense to use.
coinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Mine got them in 5th grade.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
linda0706
I lick the spoon & bowl when I make brownies or bake a cake
I do believe I'd have made up something...

My DD7 had her eye appointment last week & asked the doctor that question. He said when she turns 12. (Bless his heart--he also said ONLY if it was OK w/ mom.)

Now I don't know if that's a hard & fast rule for him - whether he'd do it earlier if I wanted him to. He probably uses 12 as a general guideline.

Feb 2008 - POP
Feb 2006 - POP

Nov 2004 - CSR
Tons of day trips in 70's-90's when brothers & friends were cast members
Sept 30, 1971 (night before grand opening) when my dad's construction company got to go to soft opening. I was 6yo.
linda0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
freckles and boo
I occasionally lurk on the UK board
I can't tell you all the stupid things I have seen my husband do while wearing sandals
Bird doo on my sheets isn't sexy

If her prescription is strong (and gets stronger at each exam) or she has astigmatism they may suggest she wait. I started at about 13 and quickly went from soft to gas permeable lenses because the soft didn't correct my vision as well or correct the astigmatism. Lenses have improved since then, though. The biggest concern I would have as a parent would be hygiene. It is easy to get used to handling the soft lenses but they also can get nasty pretty quickly. I never used disposables, but they are supposed to help minimize this problem. She can probably handle it if she is a responsible kid.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

It's a 5th grade "thing" to want to shed the glasses and switch to contacts. You stated that she is mature. After watching many students (teacher), my advice would be to reward her maturity with the contacts.

Explain to her, however, that not all eye problems can be solved with contacts. I have tried them and haven't had any luck due to "dry eye". The lenses get blurry, as if looking through dirty plastic, after about 10 minutes. My doctor advised me to give up after trying several different brands.

Good luck to her. I hope she can get them.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
snowball22
Lovin' Disney
Bribes Fairies with chocolate
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Yes, 10 years old is fine. Both my kids did well with them. A study done by OSU recently has suggested that kids benefit and do well with contacts at this age. If your kid is responsible, then I say go for it!!!
snowball22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
MommaPooh
Mouseketeer

DS got his first pair when he was 9 and DD got hers when she was 8. My mom has worked for our opthomologist for over 30 years and she has had many patients get them around age 10. A lot of it depends on the child and his/her level of responsibility and maturity.

Contemporary - 1982
All-Star Sports - 12/2001
Off-Site - 10/2002
All-Star Sports - 12/2002
Contemporary - 12/2003
All-Star Sports - 12/2004
All-Star Sports - 12/2006
Coronado Springs - 12/2009
Pop Century - 12/2010
POFQ - 12/2011
CBR - 12/2012
Pop Century 12/2013
Coming soon...Pop Century 12/2014

MommaPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
nephthys43
DIS Veteran

i got them at 10. but i went through phases. sometimes i wore them, but most of the time i didn't. this was before the niftiness of diposable contacts. i hated the fact that i had to clean them and then the cleaning solution would burn my eyes even after i soaked and rinsed them.

i think she'll be fine with them as long as you feel she is responsible enough to take care of them.

july 1980 - first trip (cried when i met the three little pigs) - offsite / march 1987 - offsite / march 1991 - offsite / august 1996 - offsite / march 2005 - offsite - celebration / march 2006 - offsite - celebration december 2006 - CBR / december 2007 - sports / december 2009 - offsite - celebration / august 2010 - POP
nephthys43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
kimberlym4
I guess it pays to have low expectations sometimes

I posted this same question 6 months ago. (and got similiar responses) Since then I let my 11 year old get them. She's also very responsible and has no trouble getting them in and out. It was great that she didn't have to wear them to play basketball. She (and I) are glad she got them.

However, she has a friend who got the ones that you can wear overnight. The friend ended up with an ulcer in her eye. I don't know that that had to do with her age though.

M...I...C...See you real soon...
K...E...Y... Why? because we like you!!
M
O
U
S
E
!!!
kimberlym4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #12
Longsx3
DIS Veteran

My DD got them right before her 10th bday, she wore them a lot at first, then only when playing soccer. She does great with them but prefers her glasses, we just bought new glasses but I assume in the fall she will be wearing contacts for soccer.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
jgorman9
Crazy about Goofy!

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will let her go ahead and try them. She is going into the 5th grade and is starting to get more self conscious about herself. She thinks she isn't pretty with her glasses. I tell her she is beautiful either way, but she is getting braces in 3 weeks so maybe this will help boost her confidence before she gets the braces.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
mellowmood
Discombobulated

I got them for my birthday when I was in 5th grade. I have worn them ever since and I'm...um older. I never had any problems. If you think that she would take care of them I would do it.

There are no stupid questions.....Just stupid people.
mellowmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #15
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

My DD got them at 11. The doctor asked her and me a lot of questions about why she wanted them. He wouldn't do it strictly for vanity (YMMD). In our case, DD does a lot of sports. She's also very responsible.

Interestingly, she's hardly worn them all summer. She doesn't like to wear them in the pool (smart kid!) and doesn't want to take them in and out all day. Make sure she has a good back-up pair of glasses.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: