Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #1471
johamna
DIS Veteran

Excellent shots Mike! You're making me want to be back in Florida so badly.

I've been stuck in Brooklyn with my girlfriend all week due to Sandy, but incredibly enough my camera still managed to get delivered ... to my office!

Soon as these trains start going across the East River I'm going to grab my keys, open the office, and start playing around. Hopefully you guys go insane this week with the amount of stuff I post! :D

Flickr | Instagram | Pinterest | r/DisneyPhotography | Tumblr | Twitter | byhamilton.com
johamna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #1472
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johamna View Post
Excellent shots Mike! You're making me want to be back in Florida so badly.

I've been stuck in Brooklyn with my girlfriend all week due to Sandy, but incredibly enough my camera still managed to get delivered ... to my office!

Soon as these trains start going across the East River I'm going to grab my keys, open the office, and start playing around. Hopefully you guys go insane this week with the amount of stuff I post! :D
Thanks Hamilton and glad to hear you guys are doing ok over there. I have family over in Paramus, NJ and still haven't been able to get thru to them, I did hear they were ok thru other family members though so thats good.

Definitely looking forward to seeing some of your shots out of the A99 and surprised they delivered it with how crazy it is up there.

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #1473
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Hey Hamilton, I'm glad to hear y'all are alright!!!! I still can't believe all of the damage Sandy has caused. I really look forward to your review of the A99.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #1474
Hockeyman

Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1475
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

A few shots from my A99 that I've taken over the past few days:

I'm really impressed with the handling of the camera:

- love the low noise performance compared to the A55

- love the improved EVF compared to the A55

- love the improved ergonomics of the larger camera and the battery grip

- REALLY love the focus peaking for manual focus which was really helpful for fixing the focus as sharp as possible on the tower across the water.

I'm well aware that most of the things are also available via the A77 for much less money, but in general I'm still VERY happy with my purchase and definitely won't be returning it.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the huge increase in options and getting / keeping them configured how I want them... Perfect example is that I accidentally shot the fireworks in APS-C crop mode because I'd been testing the camera the day before and forgot to set it back to full frame

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #1476
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstitch View Post

- REALLY love the focus peaking for manual focus which was really helpful for fixing the focus as sharp as possible on the tower across the water.

I'm well aware that most of the things are also available via the A77 for much less money, but in general I'm still VERY happy with my purchase and definitely won't be returning it.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the huge increase in options and getting / keeping them configured how I want them... Perfect example is that I accidentally shot the fireworks in APS-C crop mode because I'd been testing the camera the day before and forgot to set it back to full frame
Ok I'm officially jealous Great photos

Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #1477
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Ukstitch, great to see your enjoying that new A99! Besides high ISO noise levels, do you notice a HUGE difference in DOF?

Mike, don't get too jealous. I don't want to be the only one left in the crop world. LoL! I can't afford to give up an organ to purchase a FF camera.

Fantasyland Train Depot by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #1478
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool A99

Quote:

Great shots! I am working towards picking up an A99 as well. Really want to get a FF camera. I have the A55 and love it. A big reason that I want to move up to the A99 is because of the Sony Lenses that I already have. I have 7-8 I think.

Not sure what you have for lenses, but did all the lenses you have because of your A55 work just as well if not better with the FF A99? Later on I want to invest in a couple higher end lenses for the A99 but that's a way off.
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
BigGreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #1479
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Ukstitch, great to see your enjoying that new A99! Besides high ISO noise levels, do you notice a HUGE difference in DOF?

Mike, don't get too jealous. I don't want to be the only one left in the crop world. LoL! I can't afford to give up an organ to purchase a FF camera.
Believe me, im in no way shape of form going to be getting one of these anytime soon, especially with my wife and I expecting another little one next June. Diapers aint cheap

Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #1480
Hockeyman

Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #1481
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen73 View Post
Great shots! I am working towards picking up an A99 as well. Really want to get a FF camera. I have the A55 and love it. A big reason that I want to move up to the A99 is because of the Sony Lenses that I already have. I have 7-8 I think.

Not sure what you have for lenses, but did all the lenses you have because of your A55 work just as well if not better with the FF A99? Later on I want to invest in a couple higher end lenses for the A99 but that's a way off.
All my lenses "worked", but I needed to upgrade a couple of them. A number of my lenses are old minolta glass and these all work a treat. I've also a couple of APS-C lenses (Tamron 17-50 and Tokina 11-16) which had to be upgraded to full frame equivalents to get the full 24mp out of them, although they would have worked just fine in crop mode at 10mp if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post

I've not really had much of a chance to play with the depth of field too much yet - most of what I've taken has been at quite a small aperture, so just about all of the image is in focus anyway.

I've had one quick play with my macro lens and the desktop bowling set on my desk at work - the depth of field definitely felt smaller and smoother compared to the A55, although I've not tried any sort of direct comparison to see just how big the difference is.

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #1482
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool

Quote:
All my lenses "worked", but I needed to upgrade a couple of them. A number of my lenses are old minolta glass and these all work a treat. I've also a couple of APS-C lenses (Tamron 17-50 and Tokina 11-16) which had to be upgraded to full frame equivalents to get the full 24mp out of them, although they would have worked just fine in crop mode at 10mp if required.
All the the lenses that I have for my A55 are Sony lenses. I spoke with a rep on the Sony website and he stated that all Sont lenses work with the A99. I am just trying to figure out if I will need to purchase other lenses to get the most out of the A99. If that is the case, I may or may not go with the A99 and just go with the A77 instead...
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
BigGreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #1483
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen73 View Post
All the the lenses that I have for my A55 are Sony lenses. I spoke with a rep on the Sony website and he stated that all Sont lenses work with the A99. I am just trying to figure out if I will need to purchase other lenses to get the most out of the A99. If that is the case, I may or may not go with the A99 and just go with the A77 instead...
I think if you want to take advantage of the dual AF you will need to compatible lenses. Did you happen to ask the rep about aftermarket lenses and compatibly with with the A99? Curious to see if there are any issues with non Sony lenses.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #1484
Hockeyman

Great Scott!!!! by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #1485
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Mike, thats a great shot!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: