Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #751
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Jeff - you're AWESOME!!! Thank you so much! Found it right away with your instructions. For some reason, finding the diff. options isn't intuitive for me with this camera. I don't know if it's just where Sony puts things on the menus, or if it's just me coming from a Canon.

One more quick question: I'm going to have to use manual focus, but there's no "distance" marking in the viewfinder like my Canon. I assume what I should do is get my camera set up while it's still light out and set the focus on the farthest thing I can, correct? Or am I missing another menu/setting somewhere?

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #752
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
Jeff - you're AWESOME!!! Thank you so much! Found it right away with your instructions. For some reason, finding the diff. options isn't intuitive for me with this camera. I don't know if it's just where Sony puts things on the menus, or if it's just me coming from a Canon.

One more quick question: I'm going to have to use manual focus, but there's no "distance" marking in the viewfinder like my Canon. I assume what I should do is get my camera set up while it's still light out and set the focus on the farthest thing I can, correct? Or am I missing another menu/setting somewhere?
I have not tried fireworks with mine yet, but I've seen the following thread:

Shoot Fireworks with a NEX

Too late for you this time, but there is a wireless remote for the NEX-5. I really would prefer wired, but I'm going to give my remote a try when we head to the world later this month.

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Disney Band Trip Pictures : 2006 - 2008 - 2010
2011 Disney Trip : Pictures - Video - Photopass
Khokhonutt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #753
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Thanks for the info - I really should spend more time on that dpreview site!

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #754
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for the info - I really should spend more time on that dpreview site!
I've been checking it out since it was suggested to me. I'm not sure I care much for the layout, but the info is there.

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #755
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Fireworks!!

We had horrible thunderstorms all afternoon and early evening yesterday, but the rain stopped in time for the fireworks! Hot and humid with no wind, so the grand finale wasn't so great since there was no wind to blow the smoke away. But I managed to get a LOT of great shots. Here are my favorites, all shot with my NEX5 in Manual, ISO200, TV 2 sec, AV 16, shutter on a 2 sec delay, used a tripod. Other than cropping, these are straight out of the camera. P.S. - Thanks for your help with my panic attack Jeff!

I think this one looks like a flower on a stem:

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #756
Amy
MamaGrumpy

And some more:

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #757
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We had horrible thunderstorms all afternoon and early evening yesterday, but the rain stopped in time for the fireworks! Hot and humid with no wind, so the grand finale wasn't so great since there was no wind to blow the smoke away. But I managed to get a LOT of great shots. Here are my favorites, all shot with my NEX5 in Manual, ISO200, TV 2 sec, AV 16, shutter on a 2 sec delay, used a tripod. Other than cropping, these are straight out of the camera. P.S. - Thanks for your help with my panic attack Jeff!
Very cool! Glad I could help. How far away were you from the fireworks for these shots?

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #758
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khokhonutt View Post
Very cool! Glad I could help. How far away were you from the fireworks for these shots?
I guess maybe 1/4 mile away? There's a strip mall behind our large shopping mall and they shot off the fireworks from behind the strip mall. So even with the lens at 55mm, I had to crop a bit - just too much black sky.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #759
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Homemade Lightsphere for NEX flash

First of all, I did not originate this idea. I ran across it during one of my evenings of NEX Internet searches.

In prep for our Disney trip next week, I wanted to have better control over the flash for close ups (food). I found a discussion where I guy created a homemade lightshere for the NEX flash out of a ping pong ball. This evening I went down to Target and picked up a 6 pack of ping pong balls for about $1.50 and broke out the Exacto knife.

I butchered the first one, then I decided to make a template out of paper, that I pre-fit to the flash. I got a decent, usable sphere out of the 2nd attempt, but had to widen the opening (having not accounted for the curve of the ball the first time). I wanted to have a spare, and one to take pictures of, so I adjusted my template and cut the second, it came out great the first try.

The results, I think were impressive.

Here's a shot of one of the uncut ping pong balls, without the sphere mounted:

Notice how blown out the picture is. I'm sure Justin can tell me some cool adjustment I could make to fix this, but when there's duct tape and ping pong balls handy, I went this route.

Here's a shot of one of the cut spheres, with the sphere mounted:

Much better results, I think.

Both shots were taken in macro mode with no changes other than to mount the sphere.

Here's a shot of the camera with the sphere mounted (and the spare):

(Taken with my wife's Canon SX210IS.)

Pretty cool little trick, I think.

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #760
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Nice mod, Jeff - it's definitely an old trick, especially useful for closeup/macro diffusing. I've seen it done with ping pong balls, with old white film canisters, with medical gloves, and with...um...certain other opaquish stretchable latex items.

Time to bump this thread a bit with some photos too - thought I'd share a couple more wildlife photos from my A550 & Minolta 300mm F4 APO, from the Florida wetlands:

I got nice closeup opportunity with a least bittern - rare as they don't usually like people saddling up so close to them:

A black-bellied whistling duck who refused to move out of my way, let me close to within my lens' minimum focus distance:

Another from a little farther away, so you can see his body and colors:

Purple gallinule reaching for some seeds:

This green heron was too busy grooming itself to worry about my approach:

This anhinga drying itself off in the hot sun was making all kinds of silly stretches and poses:
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #761
henryk67
Mouseketeer

Lake Louise

Fort Steele

henryk67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #762
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Nice photos Henry! Thanks for sharing!

I gotta say, you can't beat the NEX for night-time photos! Well, as long as the subject isn't moving and you don't need a fast shutter. Which begs the question: will I be ok using the "Night View" setting to take photos of the Main Street Electrical Parade? I'm kind of worried about the movement of the floats blurring the lights.

This is from Kennywood Park here in Pittsburgh:

I'm amazed at how crisp and clear this photo came out! It was taken using the Night View setting, no other adjustments at all. I didn't have to run it thru Noiseware or anything. The Electrical Parade has similar lighting, but with the floats moving, I'm worried. I know not to use one of the night settings that uses a flash, since a flash would be worthless.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #763
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

For the moving floats at night, the night view setting might not be the best choice. I'd recommend using one of two settings: First, try the HHT (Hand Held Twilight) mode - the 6-image stack at high ISO can actually compensate for some slower movement and will do an excellent job of handling the noise and night settings. But if for any reason HHT mode still shows a little ghosting or blur from the moving subjects, quickly switch to Anti Motion Blur mode. This will also use the highest ISO settings and shoot 6 frames and stack them together - but it will avoid stacking any area of the frame where a subject moved, so it can handle even faster movement.

If you decide to get more brave, you can simply set the camera up in P mode, or Aperture Priority mode, by manually setting the ISO to 3200, and the aperture to its widest setting (lowest F number)...this will give you the best chance of having a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the floats. The floats themselves are pretty bright - so if you have a faster lens you can even shoot them at ISO1600...but if you're using the kit lens, you'll probably need to bump up to ISO3200.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #764
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

Hi,
I have a question for someone with some knowledge of the Sony A230 DSLR camera. My dh got me one back in February for my birthday, but I due to being really busy with a new baby and nursing school I have had very little time to "play" with it and figure out how to properly take pictures. My question is can someone recommend a good "fairly inexpensive" all around lens (other than the one that came with it) for a beginner who would like to take pictures of her children and or landscape pictures?
TIA!
By the way the pictures posted in this thread are beautiful! I can only hope I can get my photos to look half that nice!
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/11/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #765
DisDan09
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Disney06 View Post
Hi,
I have a question for someone with some knowledge of the Sony A230 DSLR camera. My dh got me one back in February for my birthday, but I due to being really busy with a new baby and nursing school I have had very little time to "play" with it and figure out how to properly take pictures. My question is can someone recommend a good "fairly inexpensive" all around lens (other than the one that came with it) for a beginner who would like to take pictures of her children and or landscape pictures?
TIA!
By the way the pictures posted in this thread are beautiful! I can only hope I can get my photos to look half that nice!
I have the same camera and use my older minota lenses on it along with the kit lens. For portraits (and dark ride shots) I tend to use a 50mm f1.4. One of my fav walk around lenses is my Minolta 28-85. Prob is it is a bit on the heavy side but I find its worth it. Both can be found on ebay for around $70-$100 (at a quick glance) As for an all around lens I really do tend to stick with the Kit lens for most of my general shooting especially in Dis and carry along the 50mm for dark shooting.

If you are really looking into doing some landscape photography run down to the book store and grab one of the latest magazines dealing with landscape photography to get an idea of what they are shooting with and how they made the shot. (In think the latest has a cover with a wildflower field at sunset) Look for magazines that are more technique than ads The same with Portraits.

Dont be afraid to reach out to the great photographers on here to ask what the used on certain pics that appeal to you. Lots of great experience.

Also, look at going to a local photography club in your area. They tend to have learing seminars an all type of shooting and how to really get the most out of your camera.
Speaking of that... Read the manual with your camera in your hand and really learn what everything does!
Before you know it you will be taking great shots

I also highly suggest getting Petersons book on Exposure. Barns and Noble, Amazon about $15-20. It will be a great reference and study guide for you

Best of Luck!

Last edited by DisDan09; 09-12-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Spelling... Still not quite right LOL
DisDan09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: