Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #46
Bugdozer
One day at a time.
Yesterdays are great memories,
Live today for what it brings,
worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

More pics:

Bug

WDW: Dec '98 Disney Instit, Mar '00 off site, Jan '01 All Star Sport, Jan '02 All Star Movies & AKL, Oct '03 All Star Music, Feb '04 POP, Nov '04 POP, May '05 POP, Oct '05 POP, Apr '06 POP, Nov '06 POP,
Apr '07 POP and Disney Cruise-Make a Wish Trip, Oct '07 POP, Aug '08 OKW, Nov '08 POP, Aug '09 POP, Nov '09 Caribbean Beach, Apr '10 POP, Aug ’10 POP, May ’11 POP, Oct ’11 off site, Dec ’11 Off site, May ’12 Off site, Oct ’12 Off site, Dec ’12 off Site, May ’13 off Site, July ’13 off site, Oct ’13 All star Sports, Dec ’13 Off site, May ’14 POP

DL: Apr '08 Disneyland Hotel, April '09 Off Site, Nov ’10 off site, Aug ’11 Off site, Aug ’13 Off site

Last edited by Bugdozer; 02-03-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Bugdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #47
Bugdozer
One day at a time.
Yesterdays are great memories,
Live today for what it brings,
worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

WDW: Dec '98 Disney Instit, Mar '00 off site, Jan '01 All Star Sport, Jan '02 All Star Movies & AKL, Oct '03 All Star Music, Feb '04 POP, Nov '04 POP, May '05 POP, Oct '05 POP, Apr '06 POP, Nov '06 POP,
Apr '07 POP and Disney Cruise-Make a Wish Trip, Oct '07 POP, Aug '08 OKW, Nov '08 POP, Aug '09 POP, Nov '09 Caribbean Beach, Apr '10 POP, Aug ’10 POP, May ’11 POP, Oct ’11 off site, Dec ’11 Off site, May ’12 Off site, Oct ’12 Off site, Dec ’12 off Site, May ’13 off Site, July ’13 off site, Oct ’13 All star Sports, Dec ’13 Off site, May ’14 POP

DL: Apr '08 Disneyland Hotel, April '09 Off Site, Nov ’10 off site, Aug ’11 Off site, Aug ’13 Off site
Bugdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #48
happypooh
DIS Veteran

wow these are awesome photos...I'm thinking of getting the alpha - there's a good deal on it..but I had wanted to get the Canon xti...looking at these photos though looks like I'll save a few hundred dollars and still have great pictures!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #49
figment97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mykids View Post
Great Pics everyone. Giving this thread a bump as I am thinking of buying a Sony DSLR. Anyone have pictures froman alpha using the older minolta lenses? Just wondering how well they do work on the newer camera.

Hi, all my pictures (above) were taken with older minolta lenses. I had the same concerns as you, before I bought the camera, but my lenses work. I think they have to be AF lenses though (auto focus).

Now, I think I will add a couple more photos to this to keep it going. I actually forgot about this thread. Keep it alive til end of June, that's when we get back from the World.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #50
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Wow! These pics are just AMAZING! I think DH will really enjoy his newest acquisition!

I wanted to give this thread a little bump because it did not come up when I searched on Friday. I want DH to be able to find it tomorrow!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #51
figment97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steery1 View Post
Heres another couple........

f6.3, 4 sec, ISO 200

f6.3, 15 sec, ISO 200

how would one go about setting up the camera's setting for these types of pictures? do you play with the iso only? or the aperture? speed?

i've been playing around with my alpha, and can only get good picture just playing with one setting at a time (basically the ones mentioned above).

help?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #52
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment97 View Post
how would one go about setting up the camera's setting for these types of pictures? do you play with the iso only? or the aperture? speed?

i've been playing around with my alpha, and can only get good picture just playing with one setting at a time (basically the ones mentioned above).

help?
If you're talking about fireworks, you'll want to start here:

How to Shoot Fireworks

There's lots of good info there. The basics are:

- You need a tripod (or some other way to keep your camera still for long exposures).
- You also need a remote shutter release (if you're not going to just set the shutter speed manually).
- From there, you'll pretty much go into manual mode (M) on the Alpha. Set your ISO, set your F-stop, then (with a remote shutter release), set the speed to 'bulb'.

Of course I've yet to try this out. But I've got all the stuff and will be ready to try it out in March.

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Disney Band Trip Pictures : 2006 - 2008 - 2010
2011 Disney Trip : Pictures - Video - Photopass
Khokhonutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #53
mom2mykids
Wishin' I was at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khokhonutt View Post
If you're talking about fireworks, you'll want to start here:

How to Shoot Fireworks

There's lots of good info there. The basics are:

- You need a tripod (or some other way to keep your camera still for long exposures).
- You also need a remote shutter release (if you're not going to just set the shutter speed manually).
- From there, you'll pretty much go into manual mode (M) on the Alpha. Set your ISO, set your F-stop, then (with a remote shutter release), set the speed to 'bulb'.

Of course I've yet to try this out. But I've got all the stuff and will be ready to try it out in March.

So we can expect you to post pictures upon your return? When I finally get my camera and have time to play I'll post some pics too

mom2mykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #54
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick

Just a heads up...

DH read on another board that Best Buy has the external flash for the Sony marked down from $300 to $60. The Best Buy across the street from us still has it for $300. (There wasn't anyone in the store who could authorize the sale of the display model to us for $60. The display was the only one left at that location. ) The guy did a search of other stores in the area and the price ranged from $60 up to $300 with a TON of prices in between. The other Best Buy near us had it listed at $60 but they were sold out.

We THINK we have one coming from another store, and we'll be able to go get it when it arrives and pay $60 for it. Of course we won't know for another week or so - we have to wait for the transfer. Hopefully it will work the way it is supposed to, the other store will transfer the flash, and DH will have a new toy for a great price!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #55
oogieboogieman
Mouseketeer

We went to the Dallas Zoo today and took a few pics with the Sony.

Overall it seems to be easier to use than the Olympus. The cheetah was behind a chain link fence, so there is a little bit of blurring across the chest.
oogieboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #56
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mykids View Post
So we can expect you to post pictures upon your return? When I finally get my camera and have time to play I'll post some pics too
That is the plan.

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #57
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick

DH is all about this Sony camera.

We have been looking at lenses on EvilBay. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for or what questions to ask the seller? DH wants the 50 mm and the 70-210 mm "beer can". Any idea what is a "good" price for these?

We are still waiting to hear back from Best Buy on the flash we had transferred. If that falls through 1) I will be furious and 2) we'll be shopping for a flash.

What else do we need to know?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #58
Khokhonutt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post
DH is all about this Sony camera.

We have been looking at lenses on EvilBay. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for or what questions to ask the seller? DH wants the 50 mm and the 70-210 mm "beer can". Any idea what is a "good" price for these?

We are still waiting to hear back from Best Buy on the flash we had transferred. If that falls through 1) I will be furious and 2) we'll be shopping for a flash.

What else do we need to know?
I got my beer can lens at keh.com. They deal in new and used lenses and they use a grading scale to let you know what you're getting. I liked the idea of getting the lens through a dealer, rather than eBay, because I felt more secure in having a known company I was dealing with.

I was told if you watched the sales, you could get the beer can for $200 or so. I think I paid closer to $230, plus shipping. KEH has one in that range now. For new lenses, I've done well with Amazon as well. I know quite a few people who use bhphotovideo.com as well. Bottom line, be very careful who you shop with. If the deal is too good to be true, it's probably a rip off. There are lots of stories of folks ordering an item, just to find out it's a bait and switch routine.

For other questions, check out the Sony section of stevesforums.com. There's lots of good info there.

Jeff

2004 Disney Trip Report
2004 Disney Pictures
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #59
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick

Thanks!

We took a look at keh.com last night. The grading scale is very helpful! We'll keep an eye on it and see if we can find a good deal.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #60
oogieboogieman
Mouseketeer

Finally, after a week of waiting, the flash arrived at Best Buy!
This is the HVL-F36AM, brand new, factory sealed, for $59.99 + tax. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Now to just get a tripod and a couple more lenses...
oogieboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: