Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #151
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Nice shots. Looks like you're playing with the extremely shallow depth of field - wide open apertures will make the focus point very very narrow, a cool effect when you learn to use it.

Also, your cat looks an awful lot like mine, but with different color eyes:

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #152
JustcallmeHappy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post

I love that pic of your cat..lol it looks like its ready to say something..
JustcallmeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #153
bearynice
Earning My Ears

Pete Werner, owner of this site, recently sent a cease and desist notice to the owners of the website d i s l i v e . c o m demanding that they stop using their site because the name is too similar to his. To avoid an expensive legal battle, they changed the name of their site. He has now sent a letter demanding they turn over the domain name to him or face a lawsuit. Not offering to pay for it, but simply demanding it be turned over. He apparently thinks he has absolute rights to the letters dis. Gosh, Pete, going after Disney next?

Just wanted to let you know a little about the “ethics” of the board owner.
bearynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #154
RivaLJ
Crazy for the Mouse

I just started playing around with the camera. I am waiting for my son to tell me to stop taking photos of him!
I got my a300 at circuit city's going out of business sale. Brand new in box too! They also had the 18-200 for $140. I am considering that.
I did tell my co-workers that I got the camera and it takes Minolta lenses. One of them says she may have some Minolta lenses left in her house by her ex-husband and I can have them. (at least her ex is good for something! ).

Will all the Minolta lenses fit on the a300? I gather these are older ones, probably from the x-700slr.
I sure hope they do!
CBR 8/2102 BC 8/2013
MEDS12
RivaLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #155
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivaLJ View Post
I just started playing around with the camera. I am waiting for my son to tell me to stop taking photos of him!
I got my a300 at circuit city's going out of business sale. Brand new in box too! They also had the 18-200 for $140. I am considering that.
I did tell my co-workers that I got the camera and it takes Minolta lenses. One of them says she may have some Minolta lenses left in her house by her ex-husband and I can have them. (at least her ex is good for something! ).

Will all the Minolta lenses fit on the a300? I gather these are older ones, probably from the x-700slr.
I sure hope they do!
Only auto-focus Minolta lenses will work, X-anything is a different mount and they are MF only anyway. Sorry

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #156
RivaLJ
Crazy for the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code View Post
Only auto-focus Minolta lenses will work, X-anything is a different mount and they are MF only anyway. Sorry
I should have known it was too good to be true! I guess I will get the lens at circuit city if it's still there.
CBR 8/2102 BC 8/2013
MEDS12
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #157
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivaLJ View Post
I should have known it was too good to be true! I guess I will get the lens at circuit city if it's still there.
That is an insanely good price for the 18-200mm.. the 18-250mm gets better reviews, but at that price you definitely wouldn't be going wrong.

Just make sure you open the box at the register in front of the cashier, there have been some reports of people buying CC closeouts that opened the box when they got home to find the wrong lens. (though it only seems to have been with the 16-105mm)

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #158
RivaLJ
Crazy for the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code View Post
That is an insanely good price for the 18-200mm.. the 18-250mm gets better reviews, but at that price you definitely wouldn't be going wrong.

Just make sure you open the box at the register in front of the cashier, there have been some reports of people buying CC closeouts that opened the box when they got home to find the wrong lens. (though it only seems to have been with the 16-105mm)
This is the floor model so what you see is what you get. They don't have the box either. It didn't have a lens cap on it, so I am wondering if I should take the chance and get it or get a NIB one.
CBR 8/2102 BC 8/2013
MEDS12
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #159
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMom View Post
Just wanting an opinion.....My Circuit City has a ton of Sony 75-300 lenses still available. At 30% off, they are $137 right now at their going out of business sale. Is this lens worth getting, or shouldn't I bother? I still have an old Minolta one, but it's so heavy, I thought at this price, it might be a good alternative, but don't know if it's comperable.
Hi YodasMom! The Corgis and a Sony! At our local Circuit City the lenses were marked down again from 30 to 40%. The clerks didn't seem to realize it and if you didn't have them re-scan then maybe it's even less now than you think. Which Minolta are you looking at replacing? If you could use the zoom and are leaving the Minolta at home b/c it's too heavy then it may well be worth it.

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #160
YodasMom
Holy Cow!! 741!!
Been there, done that...and lost sleep! Yuk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Hi YodasMom! The Corgis and a Sony! At our local Circuit City the lenses were marked down again from 30 to 40%. The clerks didn't seem to realize it and if you didn't have them re-scan then maybe it's even less now than you think. Which Minolta are you looking at replacing? If you could use the zoom and are leaving the Minolta at home b/c it's too heavy then it may well be worth it.
Just checked the lens I'm thinking about replacing. It's a Tamron (Minolta mount) AF Aspherical. It's actually 28-200mm / 1:3.8-5.6. But, the only ones my Circuit City has are 75 to 300 and they had a lot of them Friday. I can also check other Circuit City's later in the week.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #161
RivaLJ
Crazy for the Mouse

Are the lenses for a minolta maxxum compatible with the a300?
My friend gave me a 30-70 AF lens.

I also bought the 70-300 at circuit city today. $137. Seemed like a good price.
CBR 8/2102 BC 8/2013
MEDS12
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #162
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Yep...any Autofocus Maxxum lenses are compatible with the Sony Alphas!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #163
DisneyBabies
Mouseketeer

hi all! I am new to the boards so I just found this thread today and I have to tell you that I love it ! You guys really know your stuff. I bought an a200 kit with a 18-70 f3.5-5.6 lens and an extra 75-300 f4.5-5.6 lens. I am not a professional photographer by any means, and I have been trying to read the manual (and I even read through the thread on how to take pics of fireworks that was mentioned earlier in this thread), but I don't understand what they are trying to tell me .
We will be taking our son to the world for his birthday in a few weeks and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure this camera out. I would like to take a couple of good pics of WISHES!, Spectromagic and Illuminations while we are there, but I don't understand what settings I should put the camera on to get pictures worth saving. I don't expect professional quality pics, just something that won't be blurry. Can you guys tell me what settings I should change on my camera to get the pics to turn out right (I have figured out that most of you change your settings for different shots of the same thing, but I would like one setting that will get me just a couple of good pics). TIA everyone!
Cassandra
DisneyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #164
polkadotminnie
I still like the idea of a glass slipper
I'd love a Mickey bar right now!
It would be great fun to grant pixie dust to an unsuspecting family

Does anyone here us a vertical hand grip? What do you use it for?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #165
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBabies View Post
hi all! I am new to the boards so I just found this thread today and I have to tell you that I love it !
Welcome!

Quote:
I would like to take a couple of good pics of WISHES!, Spectromagic and Illuminations while we are there, but I don't understand what settings I should put the camera on to get pictures worth saving. I don't expect professional quality pics, just something that won't be blurry. Can you guys tell me what settings I should change on my camera to get the pics to turn out right
Well you're basically right that you'll have to occasionally change settings to get the best results. You can use 'P' mode most of the time, but when it comes to fireworks, it won't usually be your best choice. P mode is essentially 'auto' mode, but will allow you a bit more control over things if you want to and as you get better with the camera. For fireworks shows, my advice would be the following:

Use a tripod or lay camera on a level surface. Use a remote shutter release, or use the 2-second timer, so your hand is off the camera when the shutter snaps. Use the 18-70 kit lens.

Set the camera to any of the following modes: A (Aperture priority - and set the aperture using the front dial to F5.6 to F8 or so...keep ISO set manually to 100), S (Shutter priority - and set the shutter using the front dial to something between 3 seconds and 5 seconds. Best to turn off long-exposure noise reduction in the main menu, if you know how, as it will lengthen the amount of time between shots significantly. Keep ISO set manually to 100), or M (Manual mode, and you can experiment with setting the shutter and aperture similar to what I recommended above...keep ISO at 100).

If you are too scared to go into the A, S, or M modes, you can cheat through with P mode, or use the Scene mode with the moon behind the man's silhouette...just know that P mode being automatic will meter off of the fireworks on display, and when really bright, may pick too fast of a shutter sometimes.

Hope that helps somewhat! You have a very capable camera, and should do fine. Best of luck, and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: