Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #1576
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Mike, going from a DSLR to the Nex menu will drive you crazy until you kinda learn it. I'm still learning the menu and still get lost from time to time. Once I set my function buttons on the Nex, I pretty much stay out of the menu. I set the top function button to toggle: AF, AF Area, WB, Metering, Creative Style. The Nex 6 & 7 are more customizable + the awesome EVF. With my Nikon D5100 I use to get lost in the menu also. I am used the Nex now and dont find it as bad as everyone says.

What did you think about the size of the Nex? LoL
Yeah im sure if I used it on a daily basis I would get used to it after the initially learning curve. As far as size it was nice and compact but personally I like having the larger DSLR size body in my hand . . . i know, im weird

Polynesian Shower God by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #1577
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Mike, I really like the composition on that shot.

Nex 6, well I had it on pre-order as soon as I heard PDAF. The build is lighter than the 7 but well built. The focus is more accurate and responsive. It also tracks pretty well with the 16-50 which is pocketable when it retracts. I used the money from my OMD to buy the 6. There is just something about the nex line that I love. The mode dial and controls are also a welcome addition over the 5n/r. I had a 5n in the past and don't miss the touchscreen. With the EVF, you can change settings with your eye to the vf. Plus manual focusing is easy with the EVF. I would take the 6 over the 5r any day.
Thanks for the feedback. There are a lot of nice options on the Nex 6 and if I were justing getting into the line that would be the one. I'll have to try one sometime and see if I want to make the change. The 16-50 lens is one that I really want to get. Wish it was available on it's own now but gotta have patience. Or buy a kit and sell the it or the 5n. Hmmmmm. One of my favorite things about the Nex line is how portable you can make it so I'm often using the 16mm pancake on it but having the additional zoom would be very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
I went on a fisheye frenzy that whole day lol.

BTW I just got back from Best Buy, wanted to play around with the cameras and found the Sony Nex 5, not sure it's it was the N or R though lol. I couldn't stand the touch screen and found it to be a pain to work the settings. I also played around with the Nikon D3100 and found that one gave me a headache trying to navigate also lol.
One of my favorite things about the touchscreen is for focusing. It allows you to choose your area of focus with one touch rather than scrolling a little box around the screen. I looked at the Nex 7 and can't tell you how many times I kept punching the screen. Until that time I hadn't thought I used the touchscreen that much but obviously I do.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1578
havoc315
DIS Veteran

thanksgiving-7.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1579
havoc315
DIS Veteran

thanksgiving-18.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #1580
Hockeyman

Backside of Castle by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #1581
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Nice shot Mike! Jen wanted me to ask you how you got the colors on your Cinderella fountain shot. I dont remember the lighting on the building being that blue/purple. Anyway, that shot is nice I'm waiting for you to post it here.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #1582
Hockeyman

Thanks Harry . Here are before and after shots of the fountain. You can see a hint of that coloring before I processed it.

Before

Before by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

After

Uploaded it into Lightroom and then from there added some filters using Nik Color Efex. I either used the tonal or pro contrast and then a little detail extractor. From there went back into Lightroom and tweek a few things, clarity, sharpness stuff like that. And here is what I got.

Ariel's Fountain by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #1583
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Cool Mike! Its amazing how much we can push the shadows.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #1584
Hockeyman

Quote:
Cool Mike! Its amazing how much we can push the shadows.
Nik Color Efex is my savior

Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #1585
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Ill have to do a trial run, I usually use Topaz Adjust. I dont know about Nik but Topaz introduces a lot of noise that I have to clean up.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #1586
Hockeyman

Quote:
Ill have to do a trial run, I usually use Topaz Adjust. I dont know about Nik but Topaz introduces a lot of noise that I have to clean up.
Nik brings out some noise but depends on what filter I am using. Like with the contrast filters its not bad but when i use the detail extractor it brings it out a bit. Usually though I will lower the level once I see its getting and fix it some more back in Lightroom.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #1587
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I have been going crazy over this big FF craze. I'm not sure if I really want to haul around a brick but I just couldn't resist the urge to try out. I was at the local BB yesterday and they had 2 in stock which was shocking. So far, just playing around the house, this thing is a BEAST. Not just any beast, a high ISO noise eating beast. I'm so use to shooting under 3200 on APS-C that I was amazed that the D600 can shoot at >3200 with ease. As a matter of fact, I took a couple of test shots at 6400 that are pretty much equivalent to 1600-2500 on my Nex 6. The other thing that I'm not used to is the OVF, there is no histogram and eventhough its a huge FF pentaprism, it's darker than my OLED EVF. Sony , you have spoiled me. I had almost forgot what a meter was. Anyway, I was trying to tell myself I could use a camera like this but it's just HUGE to me. I wish they had a Pentax K5IIs to look at around here.

Full Frame by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #1588
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Oh Yeah, and Mike, this is the new Rokinon 8mm f2.8 fish for Nex mount. This thing is razor sharp even at 2.8. This will be my #1 lens in Feb. at the World. It sure beats my old setup of larger fisheye+adapter+electrical tape(I had to rig up the adapter because I was having a light leak on the lens mount). This is a super light setup. This is the reason I love the Nex series. If I could only keep one camera it would definitely without a doubt be the Nex.

Rokinon 8mm f2.8 Fisheye by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #1589
Hockeyman

Quote:
I have been going crazy over this big FF craze. I'm not sure if I really want to haul around a brick but I just couldn't resist the urge to try out. I was at the local BB yesterday and they had 2 in stock which was shocking. So far, just playing around the house, this thing is a BEAST. Not just any beast, a high ISO noise eating beast. I'm so use to shooting under 3200 on APS-C that I was amazed that the D600 can shoot at >3200 with ease. As a matter of fact, I took a couple of test shots at 6400 that are pretty much equivalent to 1600-2500 on my Nex 6. The other thing that I'm not used to is the OVF, there is no histogram and eventhough its a huge FF pentaprism, it's darker than my OLED EVF. Sony , you have spoiled me. I had almost forgot what a meter was. Anyway, I was trying to tell myself I could use a camera like this but it's just HUGE to me. I wish they had a Pentax K5IIs to look at around here.

Full Frame by Harry Shields, on Flickr

wow buddy congrats on that beast Cant wait to see some of the shots you post with that bad boy. I think once you see some of the shots you get out of that, carrying it around wont be to much of a burden

Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #1590
Hockeyman

Quote:
Oh Yeah, and Mike, this is the new Rokinon 8mm f2.8 fish for Nex mount. This thing is razor sharp even at 2.8. This will be my #1 lens in Feb. at the World. It sure beats my old setup of larger fisheye+adapter+electrical tape(I had to rig up the adapter because I was having a light leak on the lens mount). This is a super light setup. This is the reason I love the Nex series. If I could only keep one camera it would definitely without a doubt be the Nex.

Rokinon 8mm f2.8 Fisheye by Harry Shields, on Flickr
I love that little lens. I never would have imagined id like shooting with it as much as I do. Mine does soften up a little the wider I open it up though.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: