Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #1546
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
I shot all of these with my Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD I love this lens and go back and forth between that and my fishey as my favorite go to lens. If your looking to pick up an upgrade over the kits lens the Tamron gets my vote
Thanks for the feedback. I think it's just a matter of time before I get the Tamron.

btw, I do love your fisheye shots. I've considered getting a fisheye lens, but I just don't think I'd personally use it often enough to make it worthwhile. So it's low on my wish list. But your shots make it look very tempting.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1547
havoc315
DIS Veteran

midnov-21.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

midnov-19.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #1548
havoc315
DIS Veteran

midnov-1.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #1549
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Big Thunder by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #1550
Hockeyman

Ursula by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #1551
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Nice shots Havoc and Mike!

Magical Moon by Harry Shields, on Flickr
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #1552
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

The Haunted Mansion by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #1553
Hockeyman

Astro Orbitor by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #1554
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Mike, I like the framing idea. Really cool.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #1555
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Mike, do you find the 35 to be a slow focuser? I find that the Laea2 and 35 f1.8 focus slow and hunt in dim light.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #1556
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen73 View Post
I am leaning towards getting Lightroom 4 for processing. My 1st one that I will be buying. I have read a couple of comments that Sony's raw format (ARW) doesn't work with Lightroom 4. As a few other on hear, I am currently using A55 and am looking to upgrade to A77 or A99. Hopefully the A99.

Anyway, is that comment true or is it just people that don't know what they are talking about?
Just to confirm what has been said, I currently use lightroom 4 to process all my A99 raw (ARW) files without any problems.

There are a couple of areas that lightroom supports canon/nikon better, but there are ways round those:

- There's no support for tethering the sony cameras that actually allow it within lightroom. This can be fixed easily enough with a paid plugin or using the free sony software.

- There's no camera raw profiles (landscape, natural, portrait etc) for most of the sony cameras (only the A99 I believe). Luckily, somebody has gone through and created a load of profiles that you can download and use for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. As I can get a beercan for under $200.. or even $100... it's not exactly high risk.
Its 1 of the things I like about the Sony mount --- especially with its in-camera stabilization, the ability to use the really old fairly cheap lenses!

Truthfully, between the Minolta 50mm 1.7, and the beercan..... I may be able to cover most of my focal range, at very high quality ---- With 2 lenses that cost less than $300 combined on the used market.

But of lenses I'm considering upgrading to --
The Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 -- As eventually I'm going to want 300mm of reach. As my kids get older and play more sports, and also if I take an Alaska cruise next year, and want more reach for wildlife.
And contemplating the Tamron 17-50/f2.8 -- just as an overall kit upgrade.

But then considering just using my Sony kit lens for wide angle, the 50mm/1.7 for a mid range prime, and the beercan..... and really covering my focal length on a day to day basis, without spending much money at all. Then maybe renting a really good zoom for the Alaska cruise.
The Tamron 17-50 is a lens I'm very fond of. I had one on my A55 and used it quite a lot. In fact, I liked it so much I very nearly bought the 28-75 for my A99 (the only reason I didn't was because I stumbled across a great deal on the sony 28-75 which is pretty much the same lens but has a built in auto focus and supports the AF-D mode).

I'm not sure which version of the Tamron 70-300 you're looking at (there's a cheaper version which is screw driven auto focus and poorer optics, or a more expensive version that is built in auto focus with much better optics), but I'd also recommend looking at the Minolta 100-300 APO F4.5-5.6. I used to have the cheaper tamron but upgraded to the Minolta and find the pictures to be much better. It's also a slightly more portable lens which is helpful at times.

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #1557
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think it's just a matter of time before I get the Tamron.

btw, I do love your fisheye shots. I've considered getting a fisheye lens, but I just don't think I'd personally use it often enough to make it worthwhile. So it's low on my wish list. But your shots make it look very tempting.
Thank you

I love my fisheye and when I first bought it I just figured I would use it here and there but ever since Harry told me the trick on nailing the focus Ive been using it a lot, a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #1558
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Mike, do you find the 35 to be a slow focuser? I find that the Laea2 and 35 f1.8 focus slow and hunt in dim light.
The Sony 35mm I use is extremely slow focusing and have to fight with it while in AF on a dark ride. My last HM ride I said screw it and put it in manual and did a lot better, didnt miss as many opportunities. A ride like Little Mermaid though It did a lot better since its a bit more bright and colorful on the ride.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #1559
Hockeyman

Cinderella's Castle by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #1560
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstitch View Post
Just to confirm what has been said, I currently use lightroom 4 to process all my A99 raw (ARW) files without any problems.

There are a couple of areas that lightroom supports canon/nikon better, but there are ways round those:

- There's no support for tethering the sony cameras that actually allow it within lightroom. This can be fixed easily enough with a paid plugin or using the free sony software.

- There's no camera raw profiles (landscape, natural, portrait etc) for most of the sony cameras (only the A99 I believe). Luckily, somebody has gone through and created a load of profiles that you can download and use for free.

The Tamron 17-50 is a lens I'm very fond of. I had one on my A55 and used it quite a lot. In fact, I liked it so much I very nearly bought the 28-75 for my A99 (the only reason I didn't was because I stumbled across a great deal on the sony 28-75 which is pretty much the same lens but has a built in auto focus and supports the AF-D mode).

I'm not sure which version of the Tamron 70-300 you're looking at (there's a cheaper version which is screw driven auto focus and poorer optics, or a more expensive version that is built in auto focus with much better optics), but I'd also recommend looking at the Minolta 100-300 APO F4.5-5.6. I used to have the cheaper tamron but upgraded to the Minolta and find the pictures to be much better. It's also a slightly more portable lens which is helpful at times.
And there isn't lens correction support for many Sony lenses, and no Minolta lenses.
It does also support raw profiles for the Rx100.

I almost bought the Minolta 28-75/2.8 on eBay for about $290. And I've looked at the newer 70-300 Tamron -- with ultrasonic drive. I'd like to own at least 1 quiet lens for video.

But for now, I think I'm going to try to get the most out of the nifty fifty and beer can. This year, got the rx100 and upgraded by dSLR body... I should give my wallet a break.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: