Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
aliciadisfan
Earning My Ears

Point & Shoot Recs

Ok - I'm a little nervous to post on the photography board because I'm totally an amateur. I own a DSLR (lower end Canon Rebel), that I take a LOT of pictures on. About 50% of the time I shoot in automatic mode, the other half (generally when I have time) I try to play with the settings.
We are headed to Disney in September and I plan to take my DSLR, but would love for my 'primary' camera to be a point and shoot. 1/2 for ease to carry, 1/2 for peace of mind that if something happened to it - at least it's not my DSLR.
BUT I would love for the pictures to be as close to the quality of the DSLR as possible. I'm in need of some recommendations.
Alongside image quality, I'd like the ability to shoot quickly (I'm thinking character interactions and shooting several shots to try to get 'the' shot), and possibly the ability to shoot stills during the recording of a video.
All without spending a fortune (it would totally defeat the purpose to spend more on the point and shoot than the dslr I currently have). I'm thinking less than $300 (closer to 200 would be great), and I don't mind buying used.
Keep in mind - my DSLR is 'lower end' but is still a dslr, I have photos blown up 16x20 in my home from this camera, so not blurry/grainy images would be great.
Help!
aliciadisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

You're driving a hard bargain.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ot_elph_330_hs

Unfortunately, these are getting tougher and tougher to find because the 340 (which is inferior) has long-since replaced it. It's right up your alley though if you can find one. The 340's nothing to sneeze at, but most believe (me included and I own a 330) the 330 is a better camera and certainly a better value.

FWIW, the 330 is what I keep in my pocket at WDW and I carry a 6D or a 70D almost all the time as well.

Last edited by WilsonFlyer; 07-18-2014 at 08:43 PM.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
aliciadisfan
Earning My Ears

Exactly what I needed! A friend recommended the Elph, too, but couldn't remember what model number she owned previously. (She dropped it on a trip.) Thanks so much!
aliciadisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
webshark3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciadisfan View Post
Exactly what I needed! A friend recommended the Elph, too, but couldn't remember what model number she owned previously. (She dropped it on a trip.) Thanks so much!
I'd look at the Canon S series. Look for a S100 or S110. You want the biggest sensor possible in your compact, and these don't disappoint. I've printed 11x17 without an issue with my old s95. It broke and now I use a Sony RX100.

But the Canon s95 was the first camera I used on a Disney trip where I left my DSLR at home. It also shoots great video.

Edit: I should add that with the S series, you have full control, just like a SLR, including the ability to shoot RAW. Once you know what that is, you'll really appreciate having it.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...rds=canon+s100
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciadisfan View Post
Good! You should be able to find a 330 for around $110.

We're here now and a friend is carrying it for his family for the week and he's already tried to buy it out from under me.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #6
TeamMMom
Earning My Ears

Of the models suggested (Canon Elph 330 and S100/110), which has the best battery life? Low light pictures? Pics of moving kids?
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #7
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMMom View Post
Of the models suggested (Canon Elph 330 and S100/110), which has the best battery life? Low light pictures? Pics of moving kids?
They are entirely different classes of camera. The s100/s110 has a brighter lens and slightly larger sensor, giving it better performance in low light, including better ability to capture those moving kids with better shutter speed.
Still not that great, but far better than the Elph. ( which is basically the quality of a good smart phone camera).
Then the next level, where you actually get good low light performance, etc, would be the Canon G1x, and the Sony rx100.

Last edited by havoc315; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #8
webshark3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMMom View Post
Agree with Havoc. In addition, battery life will be similar. If you're worried about it, just buy a few cheap batteries as spares. I know it's a debate about using OEM versus generic, but I've done Disney on the s95 and a bagfull of $3 generic batteries.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: