Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
BorisMD
Mouseketeer

Best way to carry tripod through parks

Hi all,

My usual set up for going through the parks is to have my 7D + lens of the day on a BlackRapid strap. I don't like to carry other stuff around with me as it weighs me down.

For my trip over Christmas, I know the daylight will be limited and I would like to do some night time shots. In the past, I've carried the camera attached to the tripod and collapsed the legs. I then just carry the whole set over my shoulder. I've done this with the flash attached as well.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has come across a nice way to carry the tripod without any gear attached. My goal is to keep it light (no backpack) and relatively easily accessible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boris

BorisMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
saturndb
I'm Dave and I approved this Post.

Not sure what type of tripod you have, but I would look at a locker for when you are not going to use it for awhile or my favorite way is to have my wife carry it for me. As I tell her... love, honor and carry my gear

See my FLICKR photos

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Del Griffith

My Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, Nikon 60 f2.8, Nikon 18-140, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 35 f1.4, Sigma 120-400, Cullman Tripod, Gitzo Tripod, gorrillapod, BlackRapid straps and Promaster Speedlite, (2) YONGNUO YN-462 CANON FLASH, Zeikos Flash, many back up batteries and memory cards.

saturndb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #3
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

I have a strap attached to my tripod(s) to wear it over my shoulder with the tripod in back. It works ok for the 2-3 pound tripods I carry.
I have read enough warnings about carrying the tripod with the camera attached that I rarely do it. The Really Right Stuff clamps seem safe but I wouldn't trust the typical screw-in platform.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #4
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

When I'm not actively shooting, I carry my tripod usually my the head or the adjustment handle of the head, letting the legs hang down so I don't poke anyone...I keep the camera off the tripod.

When I'm actively shooting using the tripod, I typically will leave the camera mounted, wrapping the neck strap of the camera around my hand at all times for security, leave the legs fully extended but the center post collapsed down, and put the camera over my shoulder, so the tripod legs are down against the front of my body, with my right arm wrapped around them and camera strap around my right wrist. This lets me feel safe that the camera won't go anywhere if it came released, the tripod legs are vertical against my body so not interfering with anyone, the camera sits above my shoulder so it's out of the crowd and can't be bumped, and all I have to do when I'm ready to shoot is spread the 3 legs and put the rig down.

Just got back a few weeks ago from Disney World, and did exactly that - was crowded for Christmas and I took a ton of night shots with the tripod at DHS and Epcot...no problems weaving through the crowds this way.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: