Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #931
hcmommy
Mouseketeer

I never knew that about the Monistat chafing gel! I have full tube of it I never used on our recent trip. I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
hcmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #932
pixxi
Mouseketeer

What about shaving? I have to shave my thick dark leg hair everyday. I tried waxing a few times but never got all the hair and it was costly. I never tried any hair removal creams but I doubt they will work with thick hair?!

Any suggestions?
pixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #933
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post
What about shaving? I have to shave my thick dark leg hair everyday. I tried waxing a few times but never got all the hair and it was costly. I never tried any hair removal creams but I doubt they will work with thick hair?!

Any suggestions?
I'm the same way..
If I have the extra money, I still get waxed the day before we leave for vacay. I still have to touch up shave but it's much better than having to do a full shave everyday.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #934
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

Anyone try this....

I'm scheduled to get my period the day after we arrive. I really don't want to have it for the whole vacation. I read something online about asking your doctor for something called ethisterone. I'm not on the pill, so I can't manipulate the timing that way. Anyone ever tried ethisterone. Apparently you are supposed to start taking it a few days before your period and it basically postpones it. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #935
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post

Any suggestions?
Have you tried an epilator, I get great results but my hair is not really thick. I home wax in the winter and epilate the rest of the time. Good luck

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #936
*love*2*shop
DIS Veteran

ANOTHER *wonderful* PERIOD stopping device is an IUD! We are done having kids but i hate taking the pill everyday/ making me sick....( wanted it for hormone/ period issues)

Had the Mirena put in back in March and AWESOME!!! took @ 2 mos to lessen now i barely even spot and my PMS symtoms have all but Disappeared..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine9125 View Post
I use to be able to do this, but it doesn't work anymore, to many other issues. I will be having a hysterectomy within the next few months so I will be good for our trip in August.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #937
*love*2*shop
DIS Veteran

i know you posted this back in may, but thought is reply anyway....

for me I Scrub my feet EVERYDAY in the shower...I USE JUST A CHEAPy foot /pedicure scrubber tool from walmart and some foot solution or just soap is fine too( better than nothing)

WOW what a difference it makes Everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity524 View Post
Here's something to bring up for women only. How do you get your feet ready for summer, (ie sandals or flip flops)? I hardly ever wear socks, (normally panty hose to work) and normally I am barefoot at home. My heels are a hot mess. Not bleeding or anything, but not attractive. I look at DH and his looks like baby feet. Anyway, I can't wear socks to bed as they can't even be covered with a sheet. I don't get pedicures unless I am traveling. What do you do to keep your heels looking awesome?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #938
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansyr2514 View Post
Anyone try this....

I'm scheduled to get my period the day after we arrive. I really don't want to have it for the whole vacation. I read something online about asking your doctor for something called ethisterone. I'm not on the pill, so I can't manipulate the timing that way. Anyone ever tried ethisterone. Apparently you are supposed to start taking it a few days before your period and it basically postpones it. Any advice would be helpful.
I've never heard of it but I'd be skeptical. I'm on the pill and even when I skip a period on the pill, the next one seems to be heavier or late. I'd be nervous as to how it would affect me the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *love*2*shop View Post
ANOTHER *wonderful* PERIOD stopping device is an IUD! We are done having kids but i hate taking the pill everyday/ making me sick....( wanted it for hormone/ period issues)

Had the Mirena put in back in March and AWESOME!!! took @ 2 mos to lessen now i barely even spot and my PMS symtoms have all but Disappeared..
Wish I could get this but I haven't had kids yet, and it's not recommended if you haven't had kids and want to. I used the nuva ring for a while which was great - just put it in, leave it in for 3 weeks, take it out for a week and have your period, and put a new one in. If you don't want your period, just put a new one in the 4th week rather than leave it out for a week. My periods were pretty light on it and it was very easy to insert and take out. It never fell out on its own either. The only problem was that on my insurance it was $30 a month (no generic yet) and oral contraceptives are free on my insurance, so it was hard for me to justify paying that much when I can get the pill for free!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #939
jbcl
Earning My Ears

I have only got to page 7 but I want to add to the thread.

My hair is a nightmare on a good day, it normally takes over 24 hours to dry, even the hair dresser took nearly an hour and a half to dry it with hair drier. I use normal suncream rubbed into my hair, it splits if you look at, so the extra moisturiser only helps but seems to tame it too. I stick to ponytails or a bun for ease.

As for the wrong time of the month I used to swear by a mooncup, a silcone cup to replace tampons. I didn't need to change it as often as tampons but it was more reliable. Now I love the Mirena coil which effective reduces my periods if I have one to minimal leakage.

I only take lush shampoos on holiday - I have more space for clothes!

Before leaving home I add into my moisturisers and after sun a few drops of essential oils, lavender and tee-tree for sunny places for their healing properties. I add some citronella if insect evening bites are a threat.

I would never wear a skirt to a theme park, capris are my current choice. They protect my knees better form the sun than shorts! I love Skorts but they are hard to find over here. I'll be packing an extra bag to take my purchases home if they are still easily availble in the states.

I carry wet wipes in part of normal hand luggage since having children - tissues were the norm before, I can't remember how I coped before wet wipes!

Moleskin is something I have only read about on here, I carry blister plasters, not to mention the rest of the first aid kit - I have 3 boys, one of which is nearly as accident prone as me!! If my shoes are even slighly tight I'll put a sticking plaster at the rub point before even set out of the day.

Ibuprofen, I cut the blister packs into sets of two and carry a couple of those in my bag.

I never used to but I now seem to burn if I even look at the sun so I now apply the piz style lotion (apply once lotions) before I leave the hotel but also apply the spray on sun lotion as I walk around for all the places I missed first time!
I wear clothing that covers my shoulders, front, knees and feet (toes!), no matter how often I apply lotion I still manage to get burnt, even applying the lotion before getting dressed. Keeping the prone areas in the shade with clothing or a large hat, seems to work best for me.

A small microfibre cloth (wash cloth size) works great to dry off after water rides or to cool down with ice inside. I have been known to take ice out of drinks put inside the cloth and put on pulse points to cool down. If you get soaked on a cooler day I use it like a mini towel to dry off then wring out.
jbcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #940
LSK
Mouseketeer

This thread is awesome!

I have thick wavy hair that I blow dry straight. It gets frizzy with flyaways very easily but I have found that if I wash & dry my hair after our afternoon breaks I can wear it down in the evening if I want and I don't have to wash it the next morning. That makes getting to the parks for rope drop much easier.

For my face, I usually wear a face lotion that is 30spf. Next, I apply Mineral Veil then my regular powder. I read the instructions that came with my Bare Escentuals kit and it said in humid environments to put the powder on in this order...and it works! I have acne prone skin and this powder is the best makeup I've tried.

Side note - I use benzol peroxide on my face daily to prevent breakouts and it really dries my skin out. I just discovered Jojoba oil. That stuff is miraculous. I tried it when my face was flaky and I was desparate - one use and the flakiness was gone! I then tried it on my cracking feet...they are almost smooth and have no cracks after one use! This stuff is awesome.

Another side note - I have used Bumble & Bumble's dry shampoo, the Oscar something or other, and Suave's. Bumble & Bumble is the best but for the price Suave's can't be beat. And I love the smell!

For park wear, I love my quick dry cargo skort. I got it at Land's End and have 2 colors. The pockets store keys, camera, lip balm, band-aids, etc.

Sunscreen - we coat everyone in a Neutrogena high spf lotion before heading out for the day and carry a spray on in our park bag for reapplication.

Our park bag also contains wet wipes, extra ziploc bags, bandaids with neosporin in them, misting fan, a couple hair scrunchies, moleskin, kool aide powder, and a water bottle with ridges. I like the ridges because I can tell my kids what line they have to drink water down to - otherwise my ds5 would take a sip and say he was done.
LSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #941
KayLuvsMickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearwithme View Post
Pay an extra 10% on your utility bills for ten months to year before your trip. If you do this then you can skip the utility bills the month of your vacation and have that extra money for the trip. Example: Water bill averages $60.00 per month: Pay $66.00 for twelve months $6 x 12 month = $72 credit the month of your trip. No water bill that month.
This is freakin' genius!
2010 CBR
2009 Wilderness Lodge
2008 Pop
2005 Swan
1995 Port, French quarter
KayLuvsMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #942
lmc318
I have dreams like you, no really! Just much less touchy-feely. They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSK View Post
This thread is awesome!

I have thick wavy hair that I blow dry straight. It gets frizzy with flyaways very easily but I have found that if I wash & dry my hair after our afternoon breaks I can wear it down in the evening if I want and I don't have to wash it the next morning. That makes getting to the parks for rope drop much easier. brilliant

For my face, I usually wear a face lotion that is 30spf. Next, I apply Mineral Veil then my regular powder. I read the instructions that came with my Bare Escentuals kit and it said in humid environments to put the powder on in this order...and it works! I have acne prone skin and this powder is the best makeup I've tried. I love BE. I've found I have less skin problems (I have dry skin but still have breakouts) with BE than any other makeup.

Side note - I use benzol peroxide on my face daily to prevent breakouts and it really dries my skin out. I just discovered Jojoba oil. That stuff is miraculous. I tried it when my face was flaky and I was desparate - one use and the flakiness was gone! I then tried it on my cracking feet...they are almost smooth and have no cracks after one use! This stuff is awesome.

Another side note - I have used Bumble & Bumble's dry shampoo, the Oscar something or other, and Suave's. Bumble & Bumble is the best but for the price Suave's can't be beat. And I love the smell! I have Oscar Blandi but use the kind with the spout, not the aeresol. It's annoying. I'll have to try the Suave.

For park wear, I love my quick dry cargo skort. I got it at Land's End and have 2 colors. The pockets store keys, camera, lip balm, band-aids, etc. Does Lands End still make these or is it something you got a while ago?

Sunscreen - we coat everyone in a Neutrogena high spf lotion before heading out for the day and carry a spray on in our park bag for reapplication.

Our park bag also contains wet wipes, extra ziploc bags, bandaids with neosporin in them, misting fan, a couple hair scrunchies, moleskin, kool aide powder, and a water bottle with ridges. I like the ridges because I can tell my kids what line they have to drink water down to - otherwise my ds5 would take a sip and say he was done. brilliant!
Comments above!

lmc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #943
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmommy View Post
I never knew that about the Monistat chafing gel! I have full tube of it I never used on our recent trip. I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks
I looked for this at our local store, and couldn't find it. Is it usually over by the "Aunt Flo" stuff, or buy the "let's get ready to have fun" stuff? Or somewhere else?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #944
dtstampz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by branmuffin View Post
Aha! I found it! It's called Banana Boat Sport Quick Dry for Body & Scalp. I hope that helps!
I bought this and used it on my trip to Disney in May--it worked great! And
I've used it a few times this summer, too. Thanks for the recommendation!
Sept. 2013 CSR **May 2014 CSR**

No new trip planned...so sad!
dtstampz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #945
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

I don't have a tip to share, just wanted to bump this up
as it has been inactive for a couple of weeks at least. I love reading these tips and have used many of them.

Angel16

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: