Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #796
nkereina
Wendy Darling

To the PP inquiring about skipping period weeks on birth control... I used to do this all the time. I was on Nuva Ring and would skip the week I was due to have my period to avoid having it if there was something going on. At first, I also had spotting issues but it was only after the first couple of times I did it. I am now on Seasonique which is the packs that last for three months and you only have your period 4 times a year. This birth control and ones like it are the same concept, they just don't provide you with placebo pills for months 1 and 2. I had spotting when I first started on these ones and with each pack, it got less and less. If you still want to be able to do this, my advise would be to keep trying and be persistent so your body can acclamate. Skip periods periodically even if you don't necessarily need to just so you can get used to it. This is what I have done and eventually it worked fine and when I did have my period, they were really light!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #797
Catira
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybabe84 View Post
Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to be giving this a try!
I went today to the beauty supply store with my friend (she is a hairstylist) and got all the Redken after sun products. I won't be using them until my trip in June. I'll post my thoughts once I'm back.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #798
bronzebrunette78
Mouseketeer

Loving this thread-- so many great ideas! My one tip for women, especially if you're anything like me, is to pack individual outfits complete with underwear and jewelry in clear gallon-sized ziploc bags in your suitcase. I'm just the type of girl who can try on 6 different outfits before I actually pick one. Taking so long to get ready in the morning at Disney though wouldn't go over so well with dear BF, nor would it be very time effective on my part. Sooooooooo, I just do that stuff at home before I get there, and I can get ready in 15 minutes flat before heading off to the parks or out to dinner at night. I know I shouldn't care what I wear, or get all "dolled up" for vacation, but it helps me to feel a little more comfortable....what can I say, I'm the self-conscious type and I don't want to look back at all my Disney photos and wonder, "what was I thinking?!"
Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #799
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

i LOVE the idea of creating outfits before you go! I tend to just throw in my favorite items and then get to my destination to find that nothing matches! I always look back at pictures and go "i'll learn" but never do. maybe if I try this trick i'll look less like i just rolled out of bed and decided to go to the park!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #800
Mom&RN
Mouseketeer

If you can't avoid Aunt Flo

So, I have lupus and can't take bc or hormones so skipping a period is not a possibility for me. For anyone else who can't avoid AF or who isn't comfortable trying to I have some helpful AF at Disney hints.
  1. Always thin pads. I have a heavy period and these really work and are easier to carry in your park bag.
  2. A ziplock baggy of flushable wipes to help you feel clean.
  3. I try to plan my wet rides for the end of the day or just before going back for my afternoon break so that I can either put a tampon in or know I wont be soggy for long.
  4. Finally, I am a nurse and can tell you that studies have shown if you take 800 mg of ibuprofen, which is 4 over the counter tablets, every 8 hours during your period you will have a lighter period (and it takes care of cramps too). I have a really heavy period and I don't like taking this much ibuprofen on a regular basis but will do it while I am at Disney to lighten things up.

It is less than a month until my next Disney trip and it looks like Aunt Flo will be going with me I definately didn't intend to invite her!!

2003 - Offsite, 2006 - Offsite, 2007 - Pop, 2009 - AKL, 2010 - CBR, 2011 - Pop, Jan 2013 - BC (WITH Non-DH!!), Sep 2013 - CBR (girls trip!), Feb 2014 - BW (conference), May 2014 - WL (club level!)
Mom&RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #801
sheldonsmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Has anyone tried the new Suave Dry Shampoo?
I just bought this, and despite the very cheap price, I think it works GREAT! I have also used just plain baby powder (I have light brown/dark blond hair) and that works fine for me as well!
sheldonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #802
Sorilla
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmom View Post
I just bought this, and despite the very cheap price, I think it works GREAT! I have also used just plain baby powder (I have light brown/dark blond hair) and that works fine for me as well!
How exactly do you use a baby powder?
Sorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #803
crcurton
DISser since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&RN View Post
So, I have lupus and can't take bc or hormones so skipping a period is not a possibility for me. For anyone else who can't avoid AF or who isn't comfortable trying to I have some helpful AF at Disney hints.
  1. Always thin pads. I have a heavy period and these really work and are easier to carry in your park bag.
  2. A ziplock baggy of flushable wipes to help you feel clean.
  3. I try to plan my wet rides for the end of the day or just before going back for my afternoon break so that I can either put a tampon in or know I wont be soggy for long.
  4. Finally, I am a nurse and can tell you that studies have shown if you take 800 mg of ibuprofen, which is 4 over the counter tablets, every 8 hours during your period you will have a lighter period (and it takes care of cramps too). I have a really heavy period and I don't like taking this much ibuprofen on a regular basis but will do it while I am at Disney to lighten things up.

It is less than a month until my next Disney trip and it looks like Aunt Flo will be going with me I definately didn't intend to invite her!!
Thank-you for backing me on the#4! I've been doing this for years, and ppl think I'm nuts! I've even asked a gyno. about it and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. BTW he's no longer my ob-gyn. It does work! I never take ibruprophen on an empty stomach.
POFQ : 05
SOG : 07
Poly : 99,09,11
BLT : 10
crcurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #804
MC0810
Mouseketeer

im cracking up over here about the dry shampoo, i thought i was the only one who used baby powder, my hubby makes fun of me lol.
MC0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #805
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC0810 View Post
im cracking up over here about the dry shampoo, i thought i was the only one who used baby powder, my hubby makes fun of me lol.
Yeah, I've been using baby powder as dry shampoo for decades. I guess the spray versions are more convenient, but it's hard for me to justify the expense when baby powder absorbs the oils just fine.
kungaloosh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #806
ysprincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybabe84 View Post
Anyone have any great mascara rec's? I know it's probably scattered throughout the thread, but the ones that everyone suggested I've already tried and I haven't found one that really stands against the scortching July weather. I didn't wear much mascara during my last trip and would really like too. I was afraid it would drip down my face for pictures.
I swear by MAC. I pretty much use their whole product line. Something for everything. I highly recommend MAC Opulash. The stuff lasts forever and it's very dark black (it only comes in one color) and very very volumizing, which are two musts for my me - I love the big lash look. I know it also stands up perfectly to Disney, all day wear, even in the dead of summer - I live in Florida, and I wear it daily!
ysprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #807
ysprincess
Earning My Ears

Q & a

So I've gone through 54 pages of posts, and loved the tips and advice, so now I feel like I should answer the questions!

Makeup / Skincare / Tanning?
I am a Make-Up Girl. I wear it all the time. Seriously, all the time. My biggest tip for the heat, I live in Florida, and summer pretty much lasts FOREVER, is to layer, and to pick a good product (one that works with YOUR skin). I personally love MAC. I start with a moisturizer with SPF, Suntan Lotion, Primer (for lids & face), Mascara, Eyeliner (gel), Eyeshadow, Foundation/Concealer, Blush, and a good setting powder. I carry a couple essentials with me in the park for any necessary touch ups! For skin care, I wash morning and evening with Cetaphil, and remove my makeup at night (before washing!) with a makeup remover wipe. I moisturize before bed, and then start again the next day!!!

No tanning for me! I'm pretty fair, and I SLATHER on the sunscreen!

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?
I try to be comfortable in the parks. For the summer, I usually go with capri pants or "gym" capris, with a tank. For the winter, I usually stick with jeans, a sweater/long sleeves, and a scarf. I go with Reef Flip Flops, since they have arch support, or a pair of Croc Flats in the winter. So comfy!

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?
PONCHOS! Gotta love those daily summer showers! Ponchos, sunscreen, a small portable fan, hairbrush, chapstick, and ibuprofen, and my Camelbak.

How do you manage your hair? ( that florida humidity and heat is so unforgiving! Speaking of...)
So I live in Florida, and fight the humidity all the time. I have straight/wavy hair, that is very thick. I use the AVEDA Straightening Line, it's a glossing straighter and a style product. I dry it, with my hairdryer from home, and then use a concentrator and hit my hair in sections to keep it straight. I finish with a smoothing oil (AVEDA) and hairspray (Ellnet). I use an InStyler to fix anything for dinner ressies!

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?
Cool clothes, nothing too heavy. I stick with layers so I can remove something if gets too warm. I also carry a small portable fan, always keep my Camelbak filled, and duck into stores for some quick time with the AC.

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?
Thankfully I haven't been suprised, I am a slave to the BC, but I usually pack tampons and thin pads with wipes.

How do you deal with the men folk / children / even other women!
So far, its just me and DisneyFiance, but I always try and make some time to do what he wants to do! He doesn't go to Disney as much as I do, so I always have to remember to slow down through the parks with him and take the time to do what he wants to do! Good thing we like the same stuff!

How do you plan for your trip?
ADRs & Event Research! Oh, and now I can add hanging around the DIS!

How do you save money on your vacation?
I look for AP Deals and Florida Resident Deals, and try to limit my souvenirs to things that I have to have!

What are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?
EMH & Fastpass. I also plan my park days to match my ADRs!

Your strategies for the bus lines and transportation?
I personally drive. I live a couple hours away, and I find it much faster than bus service!

What resorts do you choose and why?
I go for the hotel with the best deal. It all depends on availability and discounts! I usually end up staying at the Value Resorts, and have always had a great time at them. I've stayed at a lot of places in the World, and I've had a great time at all the Resorts I've stayed at! I do have to say, I LOVE the Cabins at FW!

Why do you take your magical vacation?
I love being at WDW! It makes you feel like "real world" is so far away!!
ysprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #808
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

I just saw the post a few prior to mine about baby powder for dry shampoo - I've never tried it and wondered with dark brown hair if it wouldn't work so well. Just fell on this thread and did not read the many, many pages it contains. Thoughts? Experiences?
DCL Fantasy-Oct'14 First-time cruisers!
disneydreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #809
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamgirl View Post
I just saw the post a few prior to mine about baby powder for dry shampoo - I've never tried it and wondered with dark brown hair if it wouldn't work so well. Just fell on this thread and did not read the many, many pages it contains. Thoughts? Experiences?
I have black hair and it works fine. Just put a little in your hand and run it through your bangs and the roots of your hair and then take a fine tooth comb and comb it out and there's no whiteness left behind. Powder dry shampoos are white too so you have to do the same thing. The difference is that baby powder makes my hair have static cling so i have to use static guard or run a dryer sheet through my hair too.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #810
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamgirl View Post
You really need to read the entire thread. There are so many topics covered and fabulous tips. It will take time and you'll need a notebook ready.

Deb
my3princes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: