Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #151
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I don't know if I'm allowed to recommend a company, but here goes:

Because of the rules about liquids in your carry-on luggage on planes, I recommend taking shampoos from Lush!

They make excellent solid shampoos, which cost around $9 for a round bar. The bars last for ages and ages, and you just swipe them on your head. (if you buy 2 shampoo bars, you get a free tin to store one!) They make 2 varieties with conditioner right in the bar, so you don't need to buy separate conditioner, but of course, they sell separate conditioner too, including a solid conditioner.

I always take Lush hair products when travelling, it's so easy to just toss a tin with my shampoo into a bag and not have to worry about leakage!

Lush's big selling point is that the products are all hand-made, cruelty-free, and FRESH!!
LUSH Lover HeRe! Their lip balms in the little pots are awesome. I have chocolate Whipstick and Honey trap. Addictive.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #152
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

To prevent chafing I wore cotton very lightweight walking short or cargo short just above the knee. I had a khaki pair and army green pair, a white pair only worn on days where we did dry rides. An assortment of tank tops. I don't even think I brought any tshirts with me. Just tank tops.

Shoes I wore teva flip flops all day every day. They are foam and very squishy and comfy and dried really well. They also mold to your feet t he same way burkenstocks do. No blisters at all.

No hat, but should have as I got my part sunburnt the first day. No foundation, just moisturizer, sunblock and a wonderful lip balm i found by blistek. It is a liquid has spf 15 in it. I forget what its called but keeps my lips glossy not goopy or waxy feeling and protects them.

Hair, wet out of the shower and clipped with a hair clip and off I went. The only time I dried it and straightened with lots of product was for our ADR at the Luau. It downpoured half way through and we all got soaked anyways.

Period time. I was on the depo shot for awhile and decided to go off it. Well about three weeks before my trip I realized it would be that TOM for me so I got the shot hoping it would work, even though I was a week late getting it. IT did work, no period at WDW.

Underwear and bras: Went to the outlet and got all cotton all white bras on sale for 2.99 each. Had 4 bras and changed mid day. Looking at my pics though the underwire wasn't enough or the lightweight cotton to hold my babies up. lol. But I was cool.

Rain: We never took any ponchos when it rained, just got wet. Now when we got caught in an absolute downpour we were drowned rats but oh well.

Stephanie

brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #153
stepnut
Mouseketeer

On days I know I'm going to be riding a coaster (and not just at WDW, but at other theme parks) I'll wear my snuggest sports bra to keep my girls in place. I'm very small chested, and my sports bra provides me that lovely smashed "uni-b-o-o-b" look , but it beats trying to decide mid-ride "Should I hold the ride's bar, or do I clutch the girls to stop the bouncing???

It's got to be much worse for anyone who's got more than a "36-nearly-A" like me!
stepnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #154
ilovecountry
seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing

There's so many great tips, a few that I learned big time on the last trip over the summer was

When it comes to hair, the humidity literally did make me look like Krusty the clown even though my hair is bone straight. The secret weapon I found (It's pricey but worth it, you can get it at ULTA on sale quite a bit or ebay)

*TIGI Bed Head After Party Just a tiny bit amount in your hair will give you 100% frizz free hair, super shiny, bouncy, and it will NEVER look weight down.

*For my makeup, I knew that it rained a lot so I wanted waterproof makeup that I wouldn't have to constantly worry about. I can't wear mineral foundation- it breaks me out severly. The BEST foundation I've ever found is- Make up for ever face & body- it's sheer but buildable & stays on through the storms and looks 100% natural. For Mascara the one that won't budge or flake at all is Covergirl Marathon mascara, that damn stuff has to be scrubbed off w/ every product known to man so you'll be smudge free no matter what's thrown at you.

*I bring a body shimmer to put on if I want a little extra sparkle, I put it on after I put a light lotion all over (after spf of course) You'd think the humidy would make it wear off but it's still there by the end of the night ironically and it can just make you feel pretty

*If the rain soaks my hair, I twist it up & put on a claw clip- hours later, my hair is full of waves & I just tousel it around.

*To save money, my friends & I shipped a whole bunch of pop, water, snacks to hour hotel room & then just took a few bottles each to the parks each morning. We ate some snacks while in line for breakfast.

*I brought gym shoes & sandels with me to alternate since I wasn't sure how the blister situation would be. I had gel inserts both for gym shows & the ones for sandels. An awesome trick is, at night put the gels in a little baggy & close it and then put it in the fridge. In the morning right before you leave, slip them on and it feels soooo good lol. It was a short lived sensation but it really does feel good as soon as you slip them on

*My allergies can be horrible so I made sure to bring a nose spray along w/ different medicines w/ me. I needed the nose spray everyday I was there in the Parks- my nose stuffed up so bad so if you have allergies I recommed bringing a nasal spray in your purse. The one from Vicks is awesome.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #155
BamaTigger
ANNUAL PASSHOLDER! 6 HOURS FROM DISNEY! 28th TRIP AND COUNTING!!!!

Very informative thread!

I have a few tips for the summer, heated trips and outside activities. Im from South Alabama, and we have the worst heat and humidity! I also work in the weather and this is what I do in the heat--I take spray deoderant (Secret is the best) and I turn my shirts and shorts and my bra INSIDE OUT...I spray the heck out of them with my spray secret and it helps with the smell and the icky sticky feeling of sweat that makes your clothes stick to you! It works!

As far as make-up, well, Im a make up wearer no matter where I go--yep, Im vain about my appearance. I wear the colorstay foundation and loose powder from revlon. I apply a thin coat in the summer to keep it from feeling heavy.I also use the long wearing eyeliners and eyeshadows and water proof mascara. And I never touch up while Im in the parks, cause it stays so great.

Hair--I have permed long hair and I use Aussie mousee and spray sprunch and fluff it until it is soft. I either wear it half up, a pony or throw on my baseball cap and fluff the ponytail up and out so it will stick out cute thru the back of the cap. Just depends on the mood im in.

I wear shorts and NO SKIRTS. ECH. 'NUFF SAID!

I take Bayer Back and Body every 4 hrs to help with ACHEY PARK FEET. HOWEVER, I am going to get me some of that peppermint foot rub and try it cause I have bad tendonitis in my ankles and they always ALWAYS HURT....so I am gonna see if that stuff will work.
OH...AND I WEAR MY CROCS!! yea they are ugly, but OMG....they are so super comfy!!!! I learned that from the DIS boards as a matter of fact! Call em ugly, hideous, or whatever, but they make my feet happy!!

I always pack an over-abundance of bras....they tend to lose elasticity after a sweat soaked day at the parks, so i swap them about 2x a day. Im heavy chested, and there is nothing worse than saggy girls!

TAKING FUR KIDS TO WDW? CHECK MY BEST FRIENDS PET CARE RESORT FAQ THREAD!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2552159
BamaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #156
2bearsmom
Mouseketeer

Wow, what great ideas here! I gotta find that glittery sunscreen. I don't really have any great ideas to share. So I don't have to pack my bottles of shampoo/conditioner/hair cream I just save up the samples I get in the mail and bring those. Normally 2pkts of shampoo and 2 of conditioner are enough for me for the week. For the kids for their baths and hair washing I bring a box of Johnson's brand throw away cloths, that already have the body wash in them. I get them really cheap at Target when they are on clearance and I have a coupon. That way I don't have to bring their bottles of shampoo and body wash, and if there isn't enough in the washcloth for my 6yr old I just use the Mickey shampoo too.

I love Bare Minerals makeup so I do make sure to bring that all with me!

As far as doing my hair, I shower at night before bed and after putting product in my hair I put it up in a high bun with a pony tail holder and sleep with it wet. In the morning it is full of body and dry. I can either straighten it or curl with a curling iron or just scrunch and spray and go. I've actually been letting my hair dry naturally, over night, now since we went to Disney last year and it has never been healthier, not drying with a blow dryer. Curling and straightening does enough damage to it.
2bearsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #157
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Vellamint

I found a Dr to give my oldest DD the depo shot when she was a younger teen and will do it again for my not yet teen DD when she gets her period.

i cant imagine being a teen and having to have your period in school nowadays!!!!

Other wise......... why would you not go to the water parks? if and when my oldest DD had her period she wore tampons?? Do you not let your 13 year olds were them? it is the best thing to do for them so much more comfy when they get used to it and they can swim etc.........

If the are wearing pads........get the ones with NO WINGS they are uncomfortable and have them wear the TIGHTEST panties you can find like bake shorts or even panty hose that you cut off at the thigh!!!!!!
This helps to hold the pads in place batter!!!

If they do go to tampons make sure on long days to wear a panty liner too just for accidents. And wear those with tight undies too!!!!!!!!

You may also want to teach them some tricks in case they are out and start their period and have NOTHING to use!
1. if you are in a restroom with roll toilet paper take a long strip off and roll it around the crotch area of your undies instead of folding it up and laying it in their................IT STAYS MUCH BETTER THIS WAY!!!!!!!!
2. if you are used to wearing tampons .....take some paper off the roll discard cuz you want to start with very fresh toilet paper.....roll it into a cylinder and stick it up there where the tampon would go..........i know this is horrible but it does work!!!!!! When you get home pull out paper and use douche to make sure to remove all the paper!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #158
vellamint
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I found a Dr to give my oldest DD the depo shot when she was a younger teen and will do it again for my not yet teen DD when she gets her period.

i cant imagine being a teen and having to have your period in school nowadays!!!!

Other wise......... why would you not go to the water parks? if and when my oldest DD had her period she wore tampons?? Do you not let your 13 year olds were them? it is the best thing to do for them so much more comfy when they get used to it and they can swim etc.........

If the are wearing pads........get the ones with NO WINGS they are uncomfortable and have them wear the TIGHTEST panties you can find like bake shorts or even panty hose that you cut off at the thigh!!!!!!
This helps to hold the pads in place batter!!!

If they do go to tampons make sure on long days to wear a panty liner too just for accidents. And wear those with tight undies too!!!!!!!!

You may also want to teach them some tricks in case they are out and start their period and have NOTHING to use!
1. if you are in a restroom with roll toilet paper take a long strip off and roll it around the crotch area of your undies instead of folding it up and laying it in their................IT STAYS MUCH BETTER THIS WAY!!!!!!!!
2. if you are used to wearing tampons .....take some paper off the roll discard cuz you want to start with very fresh toilet paper.....roll it into a cylinder and stick it up there where the tampon would go..........i know this is horrible but it does work!!!!!! When you get home pull out paper and use douche to make sure to remove all the paper!!!!!

Tried the tampons.....too young, too scared......we tried it in 2006 TRUST ME.....WE TRIED........the shot sounds great though I am not sure my gyno would give it to them at this age even if I asked.......thanks
11/2010 Disneyland Paris For My GIRLS SWEET 16!! (Sequoia Lodge)
08/09 All Star Sports -- 11/09 BWV & Disney Wonder -- 2/2010 The Disneyland Hotel -- 10/10 BLT F&W/MNSSHP
01/09 Grand Floridian & Disney Wonder -- 8/08 Hard Rock Hotel & Cypress Pointe & Pop Century --
2/08 Animal Kingdom Villas --
8/06 All Star Movies & Venetian Villages -- 4/06 Grand Californian
3/05 Wilderness Lodge Villas -- 8/04 Disneyland & DCA -- 2/04 Boardwalk Villas -- 8/03 HIFS & Marriott Cypress Harbour
1/03 Beach Club Villas & Old Key West -- 4/02 Radisson Twin Towers & Caribbean Beach -- 8/00 Holiday Inn Sunspree

Last edited by vellamint; 02-03-2008 at 05:19 PM.
vellamint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #159
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Last edited by dizzi; 02-03-2008 at 05:23 PM.
dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #160
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

From sweetspot.ca - article title - "Always wear clean underwear"

In the rush to pack for a weekend getaway, we managed to stuff our travel bag with four pairs of “dress-up” jeans, but somehow missed grabbing underwear (which made us a little weary to peek into our ad-hoc toiletry bag).

Embrace a Fresh PairInstead of succumbing to the old turn-it-inside-out trick (which is, well, as gross as it sounds) we chose to Embrace a Fresh Pair ($7.50 pack of 20).

These 20-packs of leaf soaps are designed to wash our delicates in just such a travel pinch. Their paper-thin design quickly dissolves into a pear-scented cleanser, and then easily rinses from fabric. A sink, dirty drawers and the tiny, easily transportable pack of soaps turned our undergarment oversight into a fresh-scented triumph.

(website given is iloveembrace.com)
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #161
ArmandXG
The Great Baldini: Master of Time, Space and the Infinite Universe

When planning our vacation, I always check the calendar to see when "that" week arrives. If it looks even close to travel time, I go to my Dr and have him put me on birth control pills. I skip the placebo pills and just take the regular pills back to back. I will end up postponing or skipping that week all together.
The first time I tried this, I was so paranoid that I went overboard and took the pills and the patch at the same time while we were at the parks. I DO NOT recommend this!!!
I can't recommend anything for hair as mine is very short and looks the same dry, windblown, wet...
Even though I don't have a perfect body for this, I really don't care what the general public thinks when it comes to my comfort. I like to wear spandex or cotton work out shorts. They are cool, lightweight, non binding. They are long enough to cover my thighs, wick away the sweat, dry quickly after wet rides, etc.
I wear sneakers or hiking sandals with a high arch due to my bad feet. I actually blew my foot out (plantar fasciitis) one year and ended up on crutches. Has anyone ever done WDW on crutches before??? I do not recommend this either!
I do suggest a test run for anything new. If you buy new shorts, shoes for your trip, take them out for a test run. Those cute shorts may become annoying if they keep riding up while you walk.
Oct. 1990 WDW honeymoon, off site; Oct. 2000 WDW 10th anniversary, P.O. FQ; Nov. 2002 WDW Nephew's B-day, Allstar Movies Dalmation; Dec. 2004 WDW 14th (and X-mas) P.O. Riverside; Oct. 2006 DCL Magic 16th Anniversary, 1st cruise; Dec. 2008 DCL Wonder pre-X-mas and Parent's 1st cruise; Dec. 2010 WDW Secret trip and 20th anniversary,CSR; Oct 2012 WDW 22nd Anniversary (and Halloween), CBR. Oct.2013DCL Fantasy, 23rd anniversary
ArmandXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #162
Piglet843
DIS Veteran

I just thought I'd bring this thread back - Loved reading all the tips!

Its been over a year - Surely there are some fresh ideas out there!
April 2009 - CSR - 4 Year Anniversary
October 2010 - CSR - Our First Food and Wine Festival
Piglet843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #163
Poohbug
Sherlocked

This thread is great.

For those looking for sparkly sunscreen, I have bought it from Bath & Body before-they change their lines every year, but they may still have it.

My hair is horrible-frizzy, curly, crazy. I have had it short for a year now and it straightens great. I will be OK in the humidity but if it actually gets wet It's not going to be pretty. The best idea I have come up with is a hat.

I always bring at least two pairs of comfy shoes and switch every other day.
No blisters.

The spray sunscreen is the best. Make sure you get the kind that does not have to be rubbed in. If you have little boys, it's great for their ears(tops always get burned) and their head(part line or whole scalp if they have really short hair).
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #164
locolala
Ketchup doesn't belong in your nose!

I dunno if this got mentioned, but as far as "time of the month" goes, I'll work my birth control so that I'll be safe during my trip. My doc was the one who suggested it to me many years ago when I was competing in equestrian stuff. Imagine wearing very tight, light colored pants.. yeah.. no fun lol. I have some great hiking shorts that I wear to parks, they're comfy, kinda cute, and cool, so thats what matters to me. I make sure I wear thick comfy socks, and switch out my socks if they get wet. I carry a Camelback for water and holding my junk, it keeps my back cool and I'll always have easily accessible water
Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #165
kate1283
Earning My Ears

GREAT thread... love the tips! will DEFINITELY have to come back to re-check this as it gets closer to my trip!

as for the o.p.'s original questions... well, it's been a while since i traveled, but thought i'd answer some to the best of my ability (or what i plan to do).

makeup / skincare / tanning?: in the summer sun, even here in michigan, makeup just melts away! after spending all summer outside, i'll have a decent tan, and probably won't need much makeup anyway. probably just stick to wearing moisturizer, water-proof mascara, and chapstick with spf while in the parks!

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?: just sticking to shorts and tanks/t-shirts. possibly bring a light sundress for a day of exploring epcot's world showcase, and then shopping in downtown disney. as far as shoes, i live in flip flops in the summer. i wear them every day, everyw here i go (except work, haha). and i walk a lot every night, so i'm used to wearing only flip flops (even in theme parks).

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?: i actually already made a packing list! i'm sure i'll add/delete items as it gets closer to my trip, but so far it's about a page long. my essentials for going into the parks will probably be sunglasses, chapstick, money, room key, digital camera, ibuprofen, tums.

How do you manage your hair?: my hair is fairly long (past my shoulders) and layered, but is pretty wavy. i'll probably keep it pulled back most of the time, or leave it down and wavy/curly. there's no point in trying to make it behave, might as well just let it do it's thing!

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?: WATER! i drink LOTS of water in the summer to keep cool/hydrated. i also don't overexert myself; don't want to risk passing out, especially at wdw!

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?: i pretty much know when it's coming, so it shouldn't be a surprise. if there's the slightest chance it'll show up, i make sure i'm prepared with tampons and midol!

How do you plan for your trip?: read all kinds of stuff on the dis boards! look around the disney site (also gets me excited).

How do you save money on your vacation?: put at least $20 from every paycheck away for savings. also, i'm putting all my change in my aurora bank, so just before the big day i'll roll it all and take it to the bank for cash. all that combined will be my spending money! as for the trip itself, it's paid for with my tax return money.

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?: no real strategy yet. we'll be there for 8 days this year; that's an average of 2 days for each park. we'll figure out the rest soon!

8/2009 - All-Star Music, 12/2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 8/2010 - Pop Century
kate1283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: