Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Next summer: Williamsburg/VA Beach area?

Throwing around ideas for next summer(7 day trip): Would like to combine Williamsburg/Bush Gardens and then a day trip to Virginia Beach. Plus I have seen alot of places to explore in between located in Newport News, Norfolk, Hampton. I have received tourism brochures from all these places. We have one 6 yr old DS(will be 7). Any suggestions where to stay so we can be centralized?
We don't just want to make a vacation about the beach or Williamsburg. I have seen ads for a zoo, children's museum, space/science museum and lots of shopping. Any Tips?
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
boo's mom
DIS Veteran

I'm moving to Hampton next Friday (the 13 ) a good location to stay would be around the Hampton Coliseum area. (its actually around where I'm moving). There is an excellent Red Roof Inn, Comfort Inn, and Ramada Inn right there on Coliseum drive. Its close to the Air and Space Museum. Its really nice. There are a few nice parks in that area (Sandy Bottom Nature Park isn't too far away), and you would be about 10 minutes from Buckroe Beach.

I've been BOOed!
boo's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
HamTown
Friend of the Banned

The Hampton Coliseum area is a good choice for that itinerary. There is also the Patrick Henry Mall area in Newport News (closer to BG) that would be a good choice if there is an event at Hampton driving up hotel costs.

I have a 7 yo DS and he loves the Virginia Living Museum (in NN). It has great animal displays and lots of hands on learning experiences. There is also an outdoor animal trail to burn off some energy. The Air and Space Museum is great for that age too. Both of these museums participate in the ASTC passport program so if you're a member of science or children's museum at home, be sure to check to see if you can get a reciprocal admission.

The Children's museum in Portsmouth is great too. I think they also have reciprocal privileges with a different group of museums. You could go to Waterside in Norfolk, shop at MacArthur Center (our nicest mall), check out the USS Wisconsin, take in a Norfolk Tides game, and then take the ferry over to Portsmouth to the children's museum. Okay, that's probably overkill, but all could be done in a single trip.

There are several Hampton Roads DISers who could give you lots more information as you plan your trip. It's a great area and we're really lucky to have all of this fun stuff right at our doorstep. Enjoy planning!
HamTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Mom2Rae
Mouseketeer

I live in Virginia Beach and have my entire life. Sad to say, though, most of the museums and such we haven't even seen! But we visit Williamsburg a few times a month..Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are among our favorites around here.

If you want to be in the center of everything than staying in Hampton would probably be your best bet...although, nothing beats the beach!

Come on over...we'll treat ya right!

Happy planning!

Captain Dh, Me, Dd
Mom2Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Bethy Lou
Kungaloosh!
I make it a habit to not sniff kitty
Yells at exciting moments

I used to live in Yorktown Virginia and worked in Williamsburg. I would definitelly look into some places around Christopher Newport University or the Mariners' Museum in Newport News. It is a really safe area and centrally located as well. Some of those other museums you mentioned are in the area as well. I am so jealous I would love to be able to take my step daughters there, it is a fantastic place to go on vacation.
Bethy Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Magalex
DIS Veteran

I found this Holiday Inn Newport News 943 J. Clyde Morris Blvd on tripadvisor with great reviews. Is this hotel in a good location? Thanks for the tips! If we decide on the area for vacation I know where to post my questions.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Rae View Post
I live in Virginia Beach and have my entire life. Sad to say, though, most of the museums and such we haven't even seen! But we visit Williamsburg a few times a month..Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are among our favorites around here.

If you want to be in the center of everything than staying in Hampton would probably be your best bet...although, nothing beats the beach!

Come on over...we'll treat ya right!

Happy planning!
If we would chose to stay near Virginia Beach any recommendations for resorts. We don't need to stay Oceanfront. I found a nice hotel listed on tripadvisor w/ good reviews:The Hilton Garden Inn Va Beach Town Center. Do you know of it?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Several years ago, my DH and I stayed for a week at a very nice resort outside of Historic Williamsburg. This was thru his parents TimeShare. And, I understand that there are some even nicer ones there now. We are very much looking forward to going back there with DS in a couple of years when he is old enough to at least begin to understand and appreciate Historic Williamsburg, Jamestown, Washington DC, etc...

I enjoyed staying there in the Williamsburg area. We took a day trip bus-tour to Washington DC. We drove out to VA Beach and up the coast to Chincoteague (easy day trip) The Williamsburg location is central to many of the things that you might be interested in, such as Historic Williamsburg itself, Jamestown, Bush Gardens, Museums, etc.. etc... In other words, if you want to plant yourself in one place for the week, then this would be close to a many of the things that you might want to see.

I can't wait to take DS to experience all of it!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
mylilnikita
DIS Veteran

Magelex-that Holiday Inn is close to the interstate as well down the road from the VA Living Museum and Mariner's Museum.
mylilnikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Great about the Holiday Inn location. I will keep that at the top of my list. Are there lots of place to eat near by?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: