Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
ChrisLei
Dreaming of the Disney Magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avivasmom View Post
How cool a Disney cruise and and Disney World all at once. What more can you ask for.

We have spent the past 3 anniversaries at Disney...this will be the 4th year and it will be our 11th!!

What a good looking family you have. Cannot wait to read more.
Thanks for the compliment! Your daughter is an absolute DOLL!!!!! Love that pic! She is quite the ham for the camera too.

Wow that is awesome to spend the last 3 anniversaries at Disney! Wish we lived as close to the world to spend all special occasions there. Although I don't think Prince Charming would approve even if we did live nearby! LOL I really can't contain myself at how dilirously happy I am to spend our anniversary Disney Style!

October 31st- November 8th, 2007 - Our 10th Wedding Anniversary/Birthday Celebration Disney Land & Sea!

Trip Report In Progress:

Magical Thanksgiving Vacation : Carribean Beach Resort- November 20th-November 26th, 2005
Past Trip Reports:

Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Although I don't think Prince Charming would approve even if we did live nearby!
DH doesn't get a choice. He comes along. Usually asking why we are going again but has a blast with Aviva. I do all the planning and he just comes along, I tell him when to take off.

Quote:
Your daughter is an absolute DOLL!!!!! Love that pic! She is quite the ham for the camera too.
Thank you!!!!!
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #18
ChrisLei

Quote:
DH doesn't get a choice. He comes along. Usually asking why we are going again but has a blast with Aviva. I do all the planning and he just comes along, I tell him when to take off.

I am sure I would be doing the same thing too if I lived in the Sunshine State. Either that, or say, well the kids and I are going to Disney this month....and then, seeing that he doesn't want to miss out on all the fun he KNOWS the kids would have, would reluctantly come along and thoroughly enjoy himself!

I am sure he is thanking his lucky stars that I can't take the heat and humidity FL is known for. If it weren't for that, I would have definitely suggested a FL move especially when all my family moved out there!

October 31st- November 8th, 2007 - Our 10th Wedding Anniversary/Birthday Celebration Disney Land & Sea!

Trip Report In Progress:

Magical Thanksgiving Vacation : Carribean Beach Resort- November 20th-November 26th, 2005
Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #19
ChrisLei

A Change In Plans.....

OK, so earlier I stated our Dreamy Fairytale Magical Vacation would start November 1st-November 4th and then the party would move to the Disney Wonder from November 4th through November 8th.

Now we didn't want to take the chance that there would be flight delays and such that we would waste a whole park day, so we decided that we would arrive the day before and spend the night at my dad's house.

We thought it would be a fun idea. It would be Halloween and the kids could trick or treat in my dad's development. It would be fun!

But then I got to thinking.....and the more I got to thinking.....well, it was beginning to stress this Tink out!

OK, here's the situation:

- By flying in to Orlando the day before, this would assure that we get the full November 1st at the parks, BUT it would mean that we can not utilize Disney's Magical Express. Not a prob for dad since he offered to pick us up at the airport, right?

Well, the big problem would be the fact that there are 4 of us, with 4 suitcases, and 3 carryon bags. Dad, has a Toyota Corolla! No way would we and all our luggage fit in there!

Not to mention, Dad, doesn't go anywhere without his woman (who happens to be YOUNGER than me.....but we won't get into that.... ). I told him we wouldn't fit at ALL with him and his wife in the car, but he said "Oh we will manage."

Now if that weren't enough to stress this Tink out......

- Dad moved to a new condo within the last year. I have yet to see it. So when he offered we could stay with him during the pre-booking stage, he said "Oh we will make room for you guys, you're family!"

Well, I got to thinking....what does that mean???

So I called my little sis, who happened to have visited him the week before. Now what she said threw me into full blown stressville. "Tink, his place is a studio with a bedroom. It's tiny. When I went I slept on the couch. And mind you it isn't a pull out type."

If you are an obsessive, compulsive, over-planner, wants everything to come out right, and can't fathom waiting for the unexpected to happen....then you know what I was going through.

Breathe in, Breathe out!

Of course after hearing this I go into creating Plan B mode.

I pick up the phone and call......who else! Celeste, the AAA travel consultant with the mostest!

I explain my dilemma and ask her what would an extra night at the Port Orleans French Quarter would run us. She explains that since we were already on the dining plan we had two options.

A- Add the extra day to the existing reservation at $ price.

or

B- Make a separate reservation for one night, no dining. But this would mean that we would have to check out, and then check back in. It wouldn't gaurantee that we would be in the same room.

Of course I was leaning towards plan A. We would have to waste valuable park time if we had to check out and check back in. I told Celeste I'd call her right back.

I called Prince Charming at work and explained our dilemma. And I gave him the following options.

#1- Cram all of us into a little Toyota Corolla with a couple of suitcases and carryons situated by our knees and one kid on one of our laps (which we would NEVER do since they are both in boosters).

#2- Hire a towncar to get to my Dad's condo, which would solve the transportation. But then head to Walmart to get a couple of air matresses to throw on the floor if we can find a corner to throw them on in the studio.

#3- Use Disney Magical Express and then check in for a one day at Port Orleans French Quarter, go to the parks in the am, come back check out, then check back in with our original ressie and move our luggage to the new room, then go back to the parks.

or

#4- Use Disney Magical Express and add a night to our existing ressie and simply enjoy the resort and do trick or treating at Downtown Disney.

Now, I knew that Prince Charming would NEVER go for #1. And #2- Prince Charming enjoys sleeping in the comforts of a nice mattress secured on a bed. So I knew #2 would not be a go either.

So that left it between #3 and #4. I was not sure which he would pick since he has been known to cut corners to save a buck.....

But he cleared his throat and said "Well by the time we pay a car service, buy matresses and pillows and sheets, which by the way, would go to waste since we can't bring them home with us, and then pay a car service again to get us to the resort the next day (HEY! I didn't even think of that!) it would run us a little under the cost of the extra night with dining. Call AAA and add the extra night."

Our vacation would officially start at the Walt Disney World Resort on October 31st! Now we can enjoy the resort, pick out some dining from the dining plan, go trick or treating in DTD, and wake up the next morning a be a hop, skip and a jump from the parks!

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #20
ChrisLei

Halloween in Downtown Disney

Does anyone know what it's like there?

I have read in a couple of websites that the stores that do trick or treating having a balloon hanging in front of them. But I would love to know what the experience is like.

Last year for Halloween Princess ArieL dressed up as another princess, Jasmine. And Stitch dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow. He donned the wig and all. I have to say from the group of revelers that went out that night, his costume was a hit! (Will insert pic here)

Like every holiday, I went to Target to check out thier after Halloween clearance sales when the markdown was 90% off. And boy did I score! I found a red Power Ranger costume in excellent condition with mask intact (well, you know that when it gets to 90% everything has been picked through thoroughly!) What's better was the price! $1.30!

I left Target literally skipping! I was so excited with my purchase. See, I knew Stitch would love this costume and for the steal I got it for, I was in heaven.

Princess ArieL said she didn't know what she wanted to be for Halloween the following year. I reminded her she would not be at school for the parade since she would be at Disney! So I got an idea. I casually suggested maybe she can be a ballerina princess in order to utilize one of the MANY ballet costumes that we pay $125 for and she wears only twice for a 2 and a half minute number each time.

I was shocked when she said she would. I told Prince Charming and he immediately said "Does my ears decieve me? She agreed to not be an actual Disney princess????"

Of course Prince Charming was beaming from ear to ear since this meant that he would be saving $100+ on a costume she would only wear once. Princess ArieL always selects a Disney Princess costume at the Disney store and you know how that can go! By the time you get the dress....the matching shoes....the crown....and whatever other accessory Disney so strategically matches with the costume....yes, you have spent over $100.

Hey I say that is money saved for DISNEY!!!!

Advice Requested: If anyone has done Halloween in DTD, if you can share your experience....I would love to hear all about it!

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #21
silverangel879
Who you callin' a princess? It's PIRATE PRINCESS to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLei View Post
Since we are AAA members, I decided to check out their discounts. That is where I met our friend, travel agent extrodinaire, Celeste. Her prices were WAY below the Disney quote and would save us a few hundred bucks. Did I mention it would ALSO include DINING??? I had seen tons of pics of character dining, what an awesome thing if we did that!
Yeap, I became an AAA memeber because of that
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #22
ChrisLei

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverangel879 View Post
Yeap, I became an AAA memeber because of that
Aren't they awesome! I recommend it to everyone. I even get discounts at the hotels I stay at for scrapbook conventions. It is the best!

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #23
ChrisLei

I'm Leaving on the Next Plane......
Don't Know If I'll Be Back Again....Literally!

Being the Obsessive Compulsive Planner that I am, I like having all my little duckies in a row. So of course right after booking our trip, I start scouring the internet for flight rates. Only thing is.....I didn't realize that airlines wait to release certain dates.

I was made to wait.....and wait.....and wait.......

Finally in late April the fares for October were released. I checked out Travelocity and all the major airlinesdirectly. Fares were decently priced....$99 average. Unfortunately no fares were yet available for our return flight yet.

Then I decided to check out Jet Blue. Traveling with 2 children, I really love Jet Blue's concept of having thier very own television to watch cartoons on during the flight.

I throw in my dates, and am told that the return dates fare has not been released yet. No Biggie, I kinda thought that would be the case.

So I type in one way on October 31st. I couldn't believe my eyes! $59 each person!!!! That is a whole $40 cheaper than the other airlines! PLUS we get the bonus televisions at each seat!

Not only was that awesome for us, but they also offered an early morning flight! We would be at the Port Orleans French Quarters by lunchtime.

What did I do? I booked it of course! We are OFFICIALLY going to Disney World!

Now will we get back....thats the million dollar question!

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #24
ChrisLei

I'm Leaving on the Next Plane......
Don't Know If I'll Be Back Again....Literally!- Part Deux

When I last wrote, I happily reported how we got THE awesome deal for our flight to Orlando. But since the rates had yet to be released for the return, I had to sit back and wait to purchase our return tickets.

So I waited......patiently.....OH, OK!!!! Not so patiently! Remember I like to have all my little duckies in a row, so this waiting business was really working my nerve! Each morning the first thing I did before even grabbing my morning cup of tea was search the travel sites to see if the rates for the November flight prices.

Then finally on the first of June, my wait was over.....but I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the prices!

I first went to the Jetblue website. After all, I got some awesome deals for the flight going, I was sure to get the same deal for the return.

Boy, was I wrong! This is what I was graced with seeing that fine June morning:

Yep! Don't worry, you don't need your glasses. Trust me, I ran for mine to make sure what I was seeing was correct. I also triple checked to make sure that the Jetblue site wasn't malfunctioning and giving me rates to Paris, France instead of Orlando, FL. Those ARE the rates for November 11th return date. (We are staying to visit my sister for a few days once our cruise is over).

I couldn't believe that is the cheapest nonstop flight. So I checked travelocity. The rates were lower but still a bit high for a domestic flight. I mean, we are staying in the eastern part of the United States after all. This was thier best direct flight:

We really wanted to avoid taking a connecting flight back home. Who wants to worry about switching airplanes after a long trip enjoying the sights at WDW? Not to mention with an 8 and 5 year old!

I showed Prince Charming the rates for direct flights and connecting. Here was the cheapest rates with a connection:

If we opted for a connecting flight we would be saving almost a little less than $100 on each ticket. (Hey $385 is ALOT of MOOLAH!) And the layover would only be less than hour. True it is EARLY, but hey we would get home early as well and Princess ArieL and Stitch can unwind before going back to school the next day.

Prince Charming suggested we wait to see if the rates drop. I continued scanning the sites and on July 1st I told him that my nerves were afraid that the rates would go up and then we would be forced to pay the higher price. So he reluctantly agreed to purchase the connecting flight.

Cinderella need not worry that we would be the guests that overstayed thier welcome in the castle after all!

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
ChrisLei

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

It is hard to believe that it is already July! It's even harder to imagine that it has been almost a year since we started planning this upcoming trip. Now we only have less than 4 months to go!
Everyday my two darlings are always asking me, "Mom, how many days till Disney?"

I have seen LOADS of ideas here on the DIS of fun ways to countdown the days.

One that I contemplated doing was the paper link chain. Problem with that: I am a neat freak. So making a link with over 100 pieces of paper and have it displayed prominently visible somewhere wasn't really my cup of tea.

The big piece of Otag with the Home Depot Mickey heads was another option. Only thing is, my house is on the smallish side, so I would have to wait till we are at least at 60 days in order to do one that we can hang on our pantry door. Of course my kids want one they can use now.

So I sat and wondered. I went to Home Depot and "borrowed" the paint chips, and sat and stared at them for what seemed like hours hoping for some stroke of genius.

And then it hit me! I gathered the supplies necessary and sat with Princess ArieL on a rainy day and got to work with her.

Our prototype consisted of rubber stamp ink. Well...it didn't work. The ink doesn't adhere to the paintchips well.

Off to Home Depot we went in order to obtain the necessary chips to replace the ones we damaged in our prototype.

This time I decided to use stickers. Worked perfectly!

Behold, Minnie Mouse who was obtained during Princess ArieL's first trip to Disney with our version of "Countdown to Disney" Ticker:

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Old 07-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

Love your countdown idea....came out great. Cool you get more time in Disney!!!!!
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #27
ChrisLei

Quote:
Love your countdown idea....came out great. Cool you get more time in Disney!!!!!
Thank you! It will be nice to spend time with my sis and meet my new niece, Tianna (Can you believe I named her that and shortly afterwards Disney announces that "Tianna" will be the name of thier new Disney Princess! )

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Last edited by ChrisLei; 07-17-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #28
silverangel879
Who you callin' a princess? It's PIRATE PRINCESS to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLei View Post
Happy 4th of July Everyone!

It is hard to believe that it is already July! It's even harder to imagine that it has been almost a year since we started planning this upcoming trip. Now we only have less than 4 months to go!
Everyday my two darlings are always asking me, "Mom, how many days till Disney?"

I have seen LOADS of ideas here on the DIS of fun ways to countdown the days.

One that I contemplated doing was the paper link chain. Problem with that: I am a neat freak. So making a link with over 100 pieces of paper and have it displayed prominently visible somewhere wasn't really my cup of tea.

The big piece of Otag with the Home Depot Mickey heads was another option. Only thing is, my house is on the smallish side, so I would have to wait till we are at least at 60 days in order to do one that we can hang on our pantry door. Of course my kids want one they can use now.

So I sat and wondered. I went to Home Depot and "borrowed" the paint chips, and sat and stared at them for what seemed like hours hoping for some stroke of genius.

And then it hit me! I gathered the supplies necessary and sat with Princess ArieL on a rainy day and got to work with her.

Our prototype consisted of rubber stamp ink. Well...it didn't work. The ink doesn't adhere to the paintchips well.

Off to Home Depot we went in order to obtain the necessary chips to replace the ones we damaged in our prototype.

This time I decided to use stickers. Worked perfectly!

Behold, Minnie Mouse who was obtained during Princess ArieL's first trip to Disney with our version of "Countdown to Disney" Ticker:

I LOVE YOUR COUNTER!!!! It so original!!!! Like a good scrapbooker will do!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #29
ChrisLei

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverangel879 View Post
I LOVE YOUR COUNTER!!!! It so original!!!! Like a good scrapbooker will do!!!
LOL!!!! Amazing how scrapbookers can invent anything with some paper, stickers, scissors and glue!

Trip Report In Progress:

Past Trip Reports:

Last edited by ChrisLei; 07-17-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #30
Tanya90210
DIS Veteran

I love that countdown Idea.... I hate the thought of the chain too... we did it last year but since I didn't want to string it around the house we'd forget because it wasn't constantly visible..

Loving your report so far!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: